/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do you say Islam is the only true religion?

Nerd
05-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Here is an interesting quote by Homer "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder"

Keeping that in mind; why do you say Islam is the only true religion?

what is the criteria, we have to consider to weigh a religion in order for us to come to the conclusion that it is indeed the only true religion?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
05-16-2008, 03:53 AM

what is the criteria, we have to consider to weigh a religion in order for us to come to the conclusion that it is indeed the only true religion?
For me, it was/is always logic. Islam is the most logical religion I have ever encountered. It is perfect.

Here is an interesting quote by Homer "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder"
Allah doesn't need us to worship Him, He doesn't even need us to believe in Him. The Greatness of His Kingdom does not decrease or diminish because of the lack of believers, nor is it expanded with abundant believers. He exists whether we believe in Him or we don't. We have been given the ability to question and seek knowledge to learn, it is our faults if we choose live in ignorance or follow blindly. There would be no reason for us to follow the wrong religion if there are clear signs of a correct religion. Though, people choose to run with their desires and therefore following something by desire or arrogance, rather than by logic (what is correct, despite whether they agree with it or not).

Nerd
05-16-2008, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Allah doesn't need us to worship Him, He doesn't even need us to believe in Him. The Greatness of His Kingdom does not decrease or diminish because of the lack of believers, nor is it expanded with abundant believers. He exists whether we believe in Him or we don't. We have been given the ability to question and seek knowledge to learn, it is our faults if we choose live in ignorance or follow blindly. There would be no reason for us to follow the wrong religion if there are clear signs of a correct religion. Though, people choose to run with their desires and therefore following something by desire or arrogance, rather than by logic (what is correct, despite whether they agree with it or not).
I totally agree with the fact that Allah, does not require anyone to believe in Him.

What are these Clear signs?

wth1257
05-16-2008, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
For me, it was/is always logic. Islam is the most logical religion I have ever encountered. It is perfect.

I have been impressed by the interlocking, circular, stragely logical structure of the Koran as well, but I sense you mean something more than that?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-16-2008, 04:22 AM
why do you say Islam is the only true religion?
The Qur'an.

I believe the criteria to be the theology and the scripture of the religion in question.

wth1257
05-16-2008, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
The Qur'an.
I would suspect his next question to be

"and why do you beleive the Qur'an?"

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-16-2008, 04:31 AM
^^I'll expect he has an answer for it too :)

wth1257
05-16-2008, 04:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^I'll expect he has an answer for it too :)

This is a very suspocisious and expectable thread>.>

:p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-16-2008, 04:44 AM
^^Lol.

Honestly, no other religion is more logical than Islam. Just cause "humans" think it isnt, doesnt negate the fact that it is logical. Allah has set precautions for our actions and in most cases the reasons for it are obvious when you look at society. If you actually sit back and observe(honestly and with an open mind), you'd notice it. Seriously.

YusufNoor
05-16-2008, 05:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
I have been impressed by the interlocking, circular, stragely logical structure of the Koran as well, but I sense you mean something more than that?
What are these Clear signs?

Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

Authu Billahi mina Shaytan-ir Rajeem [i seek refuge from the accursed Satan]

Bismillah ar-Rahman ir-Raheem, [in the Name of Allah, the most Benificent, the Most Merciful]

what Sister Charisma wrote was beautiful, and should be pondered.

being raised a Catholic and thinking about the history of the organisation, i often felt: "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder"

it's the final message by the final Prophet(pbuh) and it confirms the messages of those sent before him.

we cannot reach the conclusion for you, ONLY Allah(SWT) can bring you to the realization of the truth. FROM MY VIEWPOINT, Islam's totality of guidance and the ACTUAL GENEROSITY of the Sharia stood out PROOF to me. i mean assuming a) God exists and b) He has spoken to mankind and c) His Message would make total sense, Islam cleans the clock of the other 2 Abrahamic faiths.

Judaism rejected the Messiah Jesus/Isa(pbuh), as well as turning to a Priestly dominated religion in the time of Ezra and Hezekiah. It also has a pretty bad track record of killing the Prophets.[see Nehemiah ch. 9] Christianity has the Catholic Church and the fact that majority of churches are her daughter. It, also seems way too focused on Jesus(pbuh) and, imho, totally neglects "the Father!"

Islam MAY APPEAR to be something "different" or "new", but it is simply a return to the religion of Abraham(pbuh) and is in reality an elaborate and complete form of the 7 Noahide Laws, so much so that a vast number of Jews [including some that have posted here on this forum] are of the opinion the proper followers of Islam are entitled to Jannah [Heaven] according to their beliefs.

In Islam, one learns about Allah Ta'Aala in ways totally neglected by Christians, who focus instead on Jesus[pbuh]. when you base your life around the 5 daily prayers and constantly call on God [Allah Ta'Aala] for assistance, many of the sayings of Jesus[pbuh] start to make sense. Moses/Musa [pbuh] is the most referred to Prophet in the Qur'an and we end up with a Religion that focuses on worshipping and obeying God [Allah Ta'Aala], but with Moses[pbuh] and Jesus[pbuh] and other Prophets [alayhe Salaam] as well pointing to the same Truth preached by Muhammad ibn Abdullah[pbuh]!

to learn more about the Qur'an and Islam, listen to these lectures by Mufti Ismail Menk, especially:

3. Tafseer - Ramadaan 1426 (2005) Klerksdorp (Reasons of Revelation of verses of the Noble Qur'an)

http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html

the Tafseer lectures are given after the Taraweeh prayers in the month of Ramadhan and focus mainly on the part of the Qur'an that was read that evening. each evening of Ramadhan, after the Isha Prayer, there is a voluntary Taraweeh prayer in which one thirtieth of the Qur'an s recited during prayer so that you complete the Qur'an in 29 days [reading an extra quarter Juz in the 1st 4 nights.]

Mufti Menk is a very inspiring speaker and the Asbab Un Nazool[Reasons of Revelation] is very helpful in understanding the Qur'an in all of it's Magnificence! you should attempt to listen to the entire months lecture!

:w:

YusufNoor
05-16-2008, 05:20 AM
I'm about 1/4 through my copy, the only thing I find objectable is this(which perhapse you can explain as you seem to have done much reflection on it)

It is in the Chapter(sorry forget the proper name) "Women", part 38(?)(Sorry for not knowing the proper names and refrences.

It starts with "Men are the managers in the affair of women" but goes on, "And those you feel may be rebellious admonish them; banish them to their couches, and beat them."

that seems wrong(beat them), other than that I have been very impressed with the text itself, I can't speak arabic and so am confined to an English ranslation(by A.J. Arberry) and like I said find the logical structure of the text somehow logically beautifull, kind of like an elegent proof.

Bismillah ar-Rahman ir-Raheem, [in the Name of Allah, the most Benificent, the Most Merciful]

you might, In Sha'a Allah, find this link useful:

http://quran.islamicnetwork.com/

find the surah that you want an open it, then check the boxes at the top of the page for different translations.

34:
Muhsin Khan: Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allah and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you see ill*conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allah is Ever Most High, Most Great.
what Jazzy wrote is pretty much as i have been taught.

*charisma*
05-16-2008, 07:11 AM
(1) The lack of fallacies in the Quran and its consistency, (2) prophecies/signs which have become manifest, (3) the chronological sequence of certain creations, (4) the obligation to certain ways of mannerisms, characteristics, restraint of desire, patience, etc in order to succeed and feel satisfaction in our lives without falling victims to our whims(5) the attributions to Allah which prove His perfection, (6) the motivation to seek knowledge and the challenges to find any faults within the quran, (7) equity between men and women and equality of mankind (8) it's written in Arabic, in a formation of poems.

That is just in the Quran.

Then there is also sunnah (the reported practices of the prophet Muhammad pbuh), as well as shariah law. These are what complete Islam, it is not just Quran alone.

If you want specific examples, I'll post those up later, Inshallah.

Azy
05-16-2008, 07:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
it's the final message by the final Prophet(pbuh) and it confirms the messages of those sent before him.
People keep telling me the previous works were corrupted...

YusufNoor
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nerd
Well Eric, it baffles me too:

YUSUFALI: Those whom Allah (in His plan) willeth to guide,- He openeth their breast to Islam; those whom He willeth to leave straying,- He maketh their breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to the skies: thus doth Allah (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe.

Bismillah ar-Rahman ir-Raheem, [in the Name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the Most Merciful]

i obviously disagree with Brother Eric H, but i'm going to end up saying something VERY similar i'm afraid...

actually, use this searchable Qur'an and look up heart:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/simple.html

as opposed to:

God chooses whom he wills, maybe the choice is not ours to make.
Islamically, Allah Ta' Aala guides whom he wills, BUT who and why does He choose?

i'm going to cut and paste a story of Umar ibn Al Kitaab Ar Farooq[RadiAllahuAnhu], the 2nd of the Rightly Guided Kaliphas. Umar was one of the biggest enemies of Islam, however the reason for his hatred was based upon the division it was creating in Makkah between families. Umar [RadiAllahuAnhu] used to beat one of his slaves and when he got tired, he would stop. upon stopping he would apologize and reassure her that the torture would continue.

now, 2 things happened to Umar [RadiAllahuAnhu], the 1st was seeing a cousin of his (iirc) making Hijra to Al Hibashi. Umar [RadiAllahuAnhu] was very saddened to see her go and wished her well. this caused a stir amongst some of the believers and they began to wonder if he, Umar [RadiAllahuAnhu], may soon join their ranks. of course this was dismissed rather quickly by most. the 2nd was a du'a made by the Rasulullah, [pbuh] for Allah[SWT] to strengthen Islam with one of the 2 Umars.

Another significant addition to the strength of Islam was the conversion of ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab in Dhul-Hijjah, the sixth year of Prophethood, three days following the conversion of Hamzah.[Tareekh 'Umar bin Al-Kattab, p.11] He was a man of dauntless courage and resolution, feared and respected in Makkah, and hitherto a bitter opponent of the new religion. The traditional account reveals that the Prophet [pbuh] once raised his hands in prayer and said:

"O Allâh! Give strength to Islam especially through either of two men you love more: ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab or Abu Jahl bin Hisham."

‘Umar, obviously, was the one who merited that privilege. [At-Tirmidhi 2/209]

When we scrutinize the several versions that speak of ‘Umar’s conversion, we can safely conclude that various contradictory emotions used to conflict with one another within his soul. On the one hand, he used to highly regard the traditions of his people, and was habituated to the practice of indulgence in wine orgies; on the other hand, he greatly admired the stamina of the Muslims and their relentless dedication to their faith. These two extreme views created a sort of skepticism in his mind and made him at times tend to believe that the doctrines of Islam could bear better and more sacred seeds of life, that is why he would always experience fits of outrage directly followed by unexpected enervation.[Fiqh As-Seerah, p92,93] On the whole, the account of his conversion is very interesting and requires us to go into some details.

One day, ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab set out from his house, and headed for the Holy Sanctuary where he saw the Prophet [pbuh] offering prayer and overheard him reciting the Sûrah Al-Hâqqah (Chapter 69 — The Reality) of the Noble Qur’ân. The Words of Allâh appealed to him and touched the innermost cells of his heart. He felt that they derived from unusual composition, and he began to question his people’s allegations as regards the man-composed poetry or words of a soothsayer that they used to attach to the Noble Qur’ân. The Prophet [pbuh] went on to recite:

"That this is verily the word of an honoured Messenger (i.e. Gabriel or Muhammad [pbuh] which he has brought from Allâh). It is not the word of a poet, little is that you believe! Nor is it the word of a soothsayer (or a foreteller), little is that you remember! This is the Revelation sent down from the Lord of the ‘Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists)." [Al-Qur'an 69:40-43]

At that very moment, Islam permeated his heart.[Tareekh 'Umar bin Al-Khattab p.6] However, the dark layer of pre-Islamic tendencies, the deep-seated traditional bigotry as well as the blind pride in his forefathers overshadowed the essence of the great Truth that began to feel its way reluctantly into his heart. He, therefore, persisted in his atrocities against Islam and its adherents unmindful of the pure and true-to-man’s nature feeling that lay behind that fragile cover of pre-Islamic ignorance and mentality. His sharp temper and excessive enmity towards the Prophet [pbuh] led him one day to leave his house, sword in hand, with the intention of killing the Prophet [pbuh] . He was in a fit of anger and was fretting and fuming. Nu‘aim bin ‘Abdullah, a friend of ‘Umar’s, met him accidentally half way. What had caused so much excitement in him and on whom was the fury to burst, he inquired casually. ‘Umar said furiously: "To destroy the man Muhammad ([pbuh]) this apostate, who has shattered the unity of Quraish, picked holes in their religion, found folly with their wise men and blasphemed their gods." "‘Umar, I am sure, your soul has deceived you, do you think that Banu ‘Abd Munaf would let you walk on earth if you slain Muhammad [pbuh]? Why don’t you take care of your own family first and set them right?"

"Which of the folk of my house?" asked ‘Umar angrily. "Your brother-in-law and your sister have apostatized (meaning to say: They have become followers of Muhammad [pbuh]) and abandoned your religion."

‘Umar directed his footsteps to his sister’s house. As he drew near, he heard the voice of Khabbab bin Aratt, who was reading the Qur’ânic Chapter Tâ-Hâ (mystic letters, T. H.) to both of them. Khabbab, perceiving the noise of his footsteps retired to a closet. Fatimah, ‘Umar’s sister, took hold of the leaf and hid it. But ‘Umar had already heard the voice. "What sound was that I have heard just now?" shouted the son of Khattab, entering angrily. Both his sister and her husband replied, "You heard nothing." "Nay," said he swearing fiercely, "I have heard that you have apostatized." He plunged forward towards his brother-in-law and beat him severely, but Fatimah rushed to the rescue of her husband. Thereupon, ‘Umar fell upon his sister and struck upon her head. The husband and wife could not contain themselves and cried aloud: "Yes, we are Muslims, we believe in Allâh and His Messenger Muhammad [pbuh] so do what you will." When ‘Umar saw the face of his dear sister besmeared with blood, he was softened and said: "Let me see what you were reading, so that I may see what Muhammad [pbuh] has brought." Fatimah was satisfied with the assurance, but said: "O brother, you are unclean on account of your idolatry, none but the pure may touch it. So go and wash first." He did so, and took the page and read the opening verses of the Chapter Tâ-Hâ until he reached:

"Verily! I am Allâh! Lâ ilâha illa Ana (none has the right to be worshipped but I), so worship Me and offer prayers perfectly (Iqâmat-as-Salât), for My Remembrance." [Al-Qur'an 20:14].

‘Umar read the verses with great interest and was much entranced with them. "How excellent it is, and how graceful! Please guide me to Muhammad [pbuh] ." said he. And when he heard that, Khabbab came out of concealment and said, "O ‘Umar, I hope that Allâh has answered the prayer of the Prophet [pbuh] , for I heard him say: ‘O Allâh! Strengthen Islam through either ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab or Abu Jahl bin Hisham.’" ‘Umar then left for a house in Safa where Muhammad [pbuh] had been holding secret meetings along with his Companions. ‘Umar reached that place with the sword swinging by his arm. He knocked at the door. The Companions of the Prophet [pbuh] turned to see who the intruder was. One of them peeped through a chink in the door and reeled back exclaiming: "It is ‘Umar with his sword." Hamzah, dispelling the fears of his friends, said: "Let him in. As a friend he is welcome. As a foe, he will have his head cut off with his own sword." The Prophet [pbuh] asked his Companions to open the door. In came the son of Khattab. The Prophet [pbuh] advanced to receive the dreadful visitor, caught him by his garment and scabbard, and asked him the reason of his visit. At that ‘Umar replied: "O Messenger of Allâh [pbuh] , I come to you in order to believe in Allâh and his Messenger and that which he has brought from his Lord." Filled with delight, Muhammad [pbuh] together with his Companions, cried aloud: ‘Allâhu Akbar’ (Allâh is Great). [Tareekh 'Umar bin Al-Khattab, p7-11; Ibn Hisham 1/343]

The conversion of ‘Umar was a real triumph for the cause of Islam. So great and instant was the effect of his conversion on the situation that the believers who had hitherto worshipped Allâh within their four walls in secret now assembled and performed their rites of worship openly in the Holy Sanctuary itself. This raised their spirits, and dread and uneasiness began to seize Quraish.

Ibn Ishaq narrated on the authority of ‘Umar [R], "When I embraced Islam, I remembered the archenemy of Muhammad [pbuh] , i.e. Abu Jahl. I set out, and knocked at his door. When he came out to see me, I told him directly that I had embraced Islam. He immediately slammed the door repulsively denouncing my move as infamous and my face as ugly." In fact, ‘Umar’s conversion created a great deal of stir in Makkah that some people denounced him as an apostate, yet he would never waver in Faith, on the contrary, he persisted in his stance even at the peril of his life. The polytheists of Quraish marched towards his house with the intention of killing him. ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar [R] narrated: While ‘Umar was at home in a state of fear, there came Al-‘As bin Wa’il As-Sahmy Abu ‘Amr, wearing an embroidered cloak and a shirt having silk hems. He was from the tribe of Bani Sahm who were our allies during the pre-Islamic period of ignorance. Al-‘As said to ‘Umar: What’s wrong with you? He said: Your people claim that they will kill me if I become a Muslim. Al-‘As said: Nobody will harm you after I have given protection to you. So Al-‘As went out and met the people streaming in the whole valley. He said: Where are you going? They replied: We want son of Al-Khattab who has embraced Islam. Al-‘As said: There is no way for anybody to touch him. So the people retreated. [Bukhari 1/545; Ibn Hisham 1/349]

With respect to the Muslims in Makkah, ‘Umar’s conversion had a different tremendous impact. Mujahid, on the authority of Ibn Al-‘Abbas [R], related that he had asked ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab why he had been given the epithet of Al-Farouque (he who distinguishes truth from falsehood), he replied: After I had embraced Islam, I asked the Prophet [pbuh]: ‘Aren’t we on the right path here and Hereafter?’ The Prophet [pbuh] answered: ‘Of course you are! I swear by Allâh in Whose Hand my soul is, that you are right in this world and in the hereafter.’ I, therefore, asked the Prophet [pbuh] ‘Why we then had to conduct clandestine activism. I swear by Allâh Who has sent you with the Truth, that we will leave our concealment and proclaim our noble cause publicly.’ We then went out in two groups, Hamzah leading one and I the other. We headed for the Mosque in broad daylight when the polytheists of Quraish saw us, their faces went pale and got incredibly depressed and resentful. On that very occasion, the Prophet [pbuh] attached to me the epithet of Al-Farouque. Ibn Mas‘ud [R] related that they (the Muslims) had never been able to observe their religious rites inside the Holy Sanctuary except when ‘Umar embraced Islam. [Ibn Hisham; Tareekh 'Umar bin Al-Khattab, p.13; Mukhtasar As-Seerah p.103]

Suhaib bin Sinan [R], in the same context, said that it was only after ‘Umar’s conversion, that we started to proclaim our Call, assemble around and circumambulate the Sacred House freely. We even dared retaliate against some of the injustices done to harm us. In the same context, Ibn Mas‘ud said: We have been strengthened a lot since ‘Umar embraced Islam.
source:http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/B..._tsn/index.htm

the 1st incident is from the Reasons of Revelations lecture by Mufti Ismail Menk which also has the conversion story. what we catch a glimpse of, is the "softening" of Umar's [RadiAllahuAnhu] heart. it wasn't the message of Islam that Umar [RadiAllahuAnhu] hated, unlike some, he simply saw it, whatever it was, as something that was destroying his beloved Makkah. once his heart was "softened", he embraced Islam within a day of the Rasulullah's, [pbuh] du'a!

this "softening of the heart" as opposed to the hardening of the heart, or a diseased heart, is a vital component of the Qur'an.

Allah[SWT] guides who He wills, BUT He[SWT] also guides him who will to be guided!

it's early, i hope that makes some sense, In Sha'a Allah!

Azy
Re: Why do you say Islam is the only true religion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YusufNoor View Post
People keep telling me the previous works were corrupted..
perhaps you misunderstood, we believe that those Messages BECAME corrupted. see Richard Elliott Friedman's Who Wrote the Bible for a discussion of the Torah, and my own opinion is that one need look no further than the Roman Catholic Church to see that it, as well as ALL of it's offshoots are CLEARLY corrupt!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-16-2008, 08:03 PM
deleted post
Hello wth1257,

The chapter entitled 'Women' starts in part 4 and ends in part 6. The verse you're asking about is verse #34 :)

For the explanation, you can read some previous discussions on this forum:

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...erse-34-a.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/305540-post4.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/367365-post3.html

I'm glad to hear that you are reading the Qur'an. If you have any questions, feel free to ask on this forum :)

wth1257
05-16-2008, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
Hello wth1257,

The chapter entitled 'Women' starts in part 4 and ends in part 6. The verse you're asking about is verse #34 :)

For the explanation, you can read some previous discussions on this forum:

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...erse-34-a.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/305540-post4.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/367365-post3.html

I'm glad to hear that you are reading the Qur'an. If you have any questions, feel free to ask on this forum :)
thank you:)

I'm still not(obviously) fluent in how the verses are coded, so sorry for being vague

"you know, the verse, half was through that chapter around the middle":p

Dr.Trax
05-17-2008, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, Dr Trax

Can you elaborate why you think that?

Peace :)

I wanted to explain what you said.
You said that: Jesus is the way to salvation!
He was the way to salvation just for that particular time and that group of people,but after him has come the Last Prophet, Muhammad(Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him),as a mercy to the World, so we should start to follow him!
Because he was and is for all humans the way to Salvation until the Day Of Judgment,!
Also Jesus said this!Try to look at the Bible,it is mentioned there!

Allah has revealed that these scriptures were guides for the societies to which they were sent. In one verse (Surah Al ‘Imran, 3-4), He reveals:
He has sent down the Book to you with truth, confirming what was there before it. And He sent down the Torah and the Gospel, previously, as guidance for humanity, and He has sent down the Furqan. (Surah Al ‘Imran, 3-4)
As is mentioned in the Qur’an, the Old and New Testaments, the Psalms and the pages of Prophet Abraham (pbuh) are scriptures sent down to prophets who lived in past centuries. A portion of these books has been lost, and what remains has been corrupted or altered. Nonetheless, they still contain many true and accurate statements regarding the true faith.

Also the Old Testament describes how Prophet Moses (pbuh) believed his people would corrupt the stipulations in the Old Testament after he had gone, and felt the need to protect the book:
After Moses finished writing in a book the words of this law from beginning to end, he gave this command to the Levites who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord: “Take this Book of the Law and place it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God. There it will remain as a witness against you. For I know how rebellious and stiff-necked you are. If you have been rebellious against the Lord while I am still alive and with you, how much more will you rebel after I die! Assemble before me all the elders of your tribes and all your officials, so that I can speak these words in their hearing and call heaven and Earth to testify against them. For I know that after my death you are sure to become utterly corrupt and to turn from the way I have commanded you. In days to come, disaster will fall upon you because you will do evil in the sight of the Lord and provoke him to anger by what your hands have made. (Deuteronomy, 31:24-29)

MustafaMc
05-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I was raised as a Christian (Baptist), but I reverted to Islam while I was in college. Since I can remember, I have always believed in a Supreme Creator and have striven to worship this Being. When I first read the Quran, I went through the index of Yusuf Ali translation to find all of the passages that referred to people that I knew from the Bible, particularly Jesus and Mary. At first I disbelieved because it was different from what I believed at the time, but I kept reading anyway. I reached a point where I concluded that the Quran was more logical in the teaching that God is One without ancestors, descendants or equal. My fundamentally beliefs changed in a "paradigm shift" kind of way. I have not studied all of the world's religions, but I accept on faith that Islam is True. The fundamental teachings of Islam is to believe that God is One, to do good deeds, such as prayer and charity, and to avoid the bad, such as murder, adultery, dishonesty, gambling, and consuming alcohol. It is also consistent with my prior belief in a Hereafter, but with a means to gain Paradise and avoid Hellfire that was more logical than the Christian means of salvation. Ironically, I accept the uncertainty of my personal destiny as a Muslim over the certainty of salvation promised by Christianity.

MustafaMc
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
I have pondered this as well, hence one of the reasons for choosing my name, Mustafa, which means "chosen". It humbles me to think that God chose to guide me from among the many Christians that have surround me for my entire life.
Having said that I am a Christian, and I look at the sincerity of faith in people of many diverse religions. I wonder as to why God would choose in this way? After all; we are all created by the same God.
Yes, I too see the sincerity of some Christians that I too felt when I was one. Yet True guidance comes but from Allah.

Quran 6:148-149 In response to this the mushrikin (polytheists) will promptly say: "If Allah wanted, neither we nor our forefathers would have been mushrikin, or we could have made anything unlawful." That is how their ancestors rejected the truth in the past until they tasted of Our punishment. If they say so, then ask them: "Do you have any evidence that you can put before us? The fact of the matter is, you believe in nothing but conjecture and follow nothing but falsehood." Say: "In contrast to your position, Allah's argument is conclusive; if it had been His will He could indeed have guided you all."

Quran 10:99-100 If it had been the will of your Rabb (Lord) that all the people of the world should be believers, all the people of the earth would have believed! Would you then compel mankind against their will to believe? It is not possible for anyone to believe except by the permission of Allah, and He throws filth on those who do not use their common-sense.

These ayat show that people choose to believe what they will as we have the freedom and responsibility to do so, yet the mystery of Divine Guidance remains.

ajazz
05-31-2008, 04:14 PM

Assalamualykum

----

But we can logically satisfy ourselves.

Earlier different parts of the world was occupied by people having different culture, language, and civilization

Allah (swt) had sent messengers to these tribes, nations and these messengers were from amongst their own people and this religion or message was limited to these region or people and the rules or commandments were according to the situation prevailing at that time
During earlier time man had not progressed much and was lacking in scientific and technical knowledge, lack of long distance communication, lack of preservation of information, difficulty in transportation

Hence it was logical to send different prophets to different tribes and nations

If we take example of Jesus (pbuh)” Then he said to the woman, "I was sent only to help the people of Israel--God's lost sheep--not the Gentiles." - Matthew 15:24”

Now during this early time if a messenger wanted to spread his message to all over the world it would have been impossible, the message would have got corrupted because of lack of preserving and verifying the message this is what has happened with the bible and other religion there is no original preserved text or message to verify.
This is not so with the holy Quran.
For all the other true religions it was the responsibility of the people to preserve the message of god

But for the preservation of the holy Quran Allah [swt] himself has taken the responsibility

Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Quran) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).
Al-Hijr 9
Translation-M. Khan

The preservation of holy Quran is not through written form but by rote or through heart (technically brain)

And We have indeed made the Quran easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?
(Chapter #54, Verse #17)

It is not difficult to find children as young as 7 or 8 years old who have memorized the whole Quran

There are millions of people who have memorized the whole Quran.
During month of Ramadan tarawih prayers are held during night in which whole Quran is recited over the one month period
Also Arabic language is still spoken

When Quran is recited in Arabic it has a rhythm and if a word or phrase is missed the rhythm is broken and hence it comes to notice that something is missing or changed.

Thus Quran can be checked if there is mistake in text form whether intentional or otherwise.

Since millions of people have memorized the holy Quran it can be verified by multiple sources, also holy prophet made sure that his companion memorized the Quran.

Allah (swt) has used human brain to protect the holy Quran from corruption

As we all are aware what a marvelous peace of genius creation is brain by Allah (swt)
Allah-o-akbar!
Alhumdulliah!

If you look at the timeline of world progress during dark ages for Europe it was golden period for Muslims

Ibn al-Haytham first described pinhole camera

The modern cheque comes from the Arabic saqq, a Muslim businessman could cash a cheque in China drawn on his bank in Baghdad.

Abbas Ibn Firnas invented an artificial weather simulation room,

Plaster by Abu al-Qasim (Abucasis) in 1000

the first smallpox vaccine

Injection syringe by the Iraqi surgeon

Over 200 surgical instruments

Just Google Muslim inventions or 1001 inventions and be surprised!

If you notice from this period onwards the world started to shrink meaning people began to know a lot more about the earth and its habitants boundaries were expanded nations were captured

There were expeditions and people began to explore different parts of the world
Human knowledge was on the rise.

It began to become easier to spread the message of Islam to different parts of the world
And during last few centuries the progress has been indeed very rapid

As preservation of the message was no problem it remained uncorrupted

The progress of man has not been linear but rather exponential
And Islam had arrived just when the progress was about to take off
Hence Islam is relative young religion.

During present time it even easier to spread the message of Islam
Taking example of myself I can communicate with people practical any where in the world
Also the whole Quran and hadiths are available for people to analyze, scrutinize, verify.

Allah (swt) has also made his commandments and rules that one must follow in Islam universal; Islam does not require one to forgo his culture as long as it does not conflict with teaching of Islam
So it is logical there is no need for any new religion or prophet because all the message and information is available in any part of the world.

And Allah (swt) says

And We have sent you (O Muhammad SAW) not but as a mercy for the Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists)
.Chapter #21, Verse #107

“this day have i perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you islam as your religion..”

Chapter #5, Verse #3

Now for the question
How do we know which religion is true?

For that first you must reflect at the magnitude of his creation

How big is the Universe?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7wNQw12l8&feature=related

If you want to rebuild twin towers again the person to do that must have some credential and qualities he must tell what he is capable of doing and showcase some of his creation

Now to conclude which god is true god you must know what the religion say about their god.

What are his qualities?
What power he posses?
What he is capable of doing?

Collect this information from as many as religion you can get hold of.

For example

In Islam god has 99 names or attributes (one hidden) which describe him
Here are few of them

Read them very carefully

As-Salaam
The Source of Peace, The One who is free from every imperfection.

Al-Quddoos
The Holy, The One who is pure from any imperfection and clear from children and adversaries.

Al-Mutakabbir
The Majestic, The One who is clear from the attributes of the creatures and from resembling them.

Al-Khaaliq
The Creator, The One who brings everything from non-existence to existence.
Al-Musawwir
The Fashioner, The One who forms His creatures in different pictures.

Al-Ghaffaar
The Great Forgiver, The Forgiver, The One who forgives the sins of His slaves time and time again.

As-Samee^
The All-Hearing, The Hearer, The One who Hears all things that are heard by His Eternal Hearing without an ear, instrument or organ.

Al-Baseer
The All-Seeing, The One who Sees all things that are seen by His Eternal Seeing without a pupil or any other instrument.

Al-Haleem
The Forebearing, The Clement, The One who delays the punishment for those who deserve it and then He might forgive them.

Al-Kabeer
The Most Great, The Great, The One who is greater than everything in status.

Al-Haqq
The Truth, The True, The One who truly exists.

Al-Mateen
The Firm One, The One with extreme Power which is un-interrupted and He does not get tired.

Al-Mumeet
The Creator of Death, The Destroyer, The One who renders the living dead.

Al-Qayyoom
The Self-Subsisting, The One who remains and does not end.

Al-'Awwal
The First, The One whose Existence is without a beginning.

Al-'Akhir
The Last, The One whose Existence is without an end.

Az-Zaahir
The Manifest, The One that nothing is above Him and nothing is underneath Him, hence He exists without a place. He, The Exalted, His Existence is obvious by proofs and He is clear from the delusions of attributes of bodies.

Al-Ghaniyy
The Self-Sufficient, The One who does not need the creation.

Al-Badi^
The Incomparable, The One who created the creation and formed it without any preceding example.

Al-Baaqi
The Everlasting, The One that the state of non-existence is impossible for Him.

As-Saboor
The Patient, The One who does not quickly punish the sinners.

From Christianity

The father ( ask the Christians )

The ghost ( ask the Christians )

The son ( ask the Christians )

Now compare these

And if you are logical, unbiased, looking for truth then I’m sure you will find that the only entity that is capable of creating all this is Allah (swt)

Sorry for the long post, hope I have not bored you.

All the true things I said is from Allah (swt) and any unintentional mistake I may have made is from me, May Allah (swt) forgive me

Allah (swt) alone knows best

Umar001
05-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Well there are different ways, one can start with some assumptions, if God would provide a religion and punish those who did not follow it, then in principle, God would have to make this religion's truthfulness clear from others, if we are to believe this is a Just God.

There is the way of checking each religion, but to narrow it down one can come up with a criteria.

A Critreria which most would accept, most people I speak to face to face accept end up accepting this, would be two things:

1. We should know the people who brought the message forward.

2. We should know that the message has not been changed.

A religion which does not have this fails, and a religion who posesses this, can go through to the next stage of scrutanisation.

;)

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

Having said that I am a Christian, and I look at the sincerity of faith in people of many diverse religions. I wonder as to why God would choose in this way? After all; we are all created by the same God.

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith friendships and relations.

Eric
And what if the choice is ours?

format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Wouldnt God make a religion logical for his people?
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Yep, God communicating with mankind has to be logical. If he can only communicate in metaphors, parables and contradictions in a mishmash of gibbering inconsistancy without human rhyme nor reason through the whole of time, then theres no point in talking at all. Really? Is there?
:rollseyes
The context of the message and how the message is delivered are two different things, of course God would have to speak to us in a logical/understandble method, but the message may not be what we think is logical all the time, sometimes our logic is wrong, and if our logic was always right there would be no need for religion telling anyone what to do for we would have worked it all out.

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I trust that a God who 'so loved the world' will be mercyful and forgiving, even to those who misunderstood him.
But what about those who wilfully choose to misunderstand, or those who think they understand but don't check as much as they should, or verify as much as they would for worldly matters when it comes to the choice of religion.

------
05-31-2008, 04:30 PM
:salamext:

Why do you say Islam is the only true religion?
There is a simple answer to this..

Because it is! :D

Woodrow
05-31-2008, 04:55 PM
I am going to sound like Bill Clinton for a moment: "What do you mean by true?"

Perhaps the word "true" has too many different conontations based on teaching and culture. I think a better choice for the title would be:

"Why do you say Islam is the only religion we should follow today?"

My answer:

1. It came from God(swt)

2. It is the last and final set of instructions, revelations etc. given to mankind.

3. We are getting very close to the "Last Days" and it is the only clear route given to all of mankind to surrender our lives to Allaah(swt) and escape hellfire.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-31-2008, 07:31 PM
^^Don't forget logic and common sense!

------
05-31-2008, 07:33 PM
:salamext:

^ Yup.... lol.

cute123
06-01-2008, 08:00 AM
you take any aspect of life, any problem any issue - the way it is handled in ISLAM it is the only way - the best thing is patience. and moreover how can one live without being near to HIS CREATOR, HIS MAINTAINER. thats ISLAM I suppose . the joy the support the energy that one gains after prostrating - this can sound good to the one who knows HIM. to the one who does not know HIM it is again an issue of debate

Umar001
06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
I think human logic and common sense only plays a part in finding the religion, not following it. (It has been said by a speaker, that when you look at most of the passages in the Qur'an which call to logic, they speak to the disbelievers)

Faith is faith, but where we place our faith is not based on faith but should be on logic and reason.

Once, due to reason, we are sure that a guide is right, we put our faith in that guide. Sort of like, I do my research on which bus route will take me to a place, after all my research I conclude that bus number 21 will take me, I then due to this research of reason, put my faith on the driver, because I dont know the route I dont know which particular road will take me, but through my reasearch in the routes before, I have faith this bus will take me to the right place.

- Qatada -
06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ozdload
The scientific community claim to have evidence of a world evolving over millions of years with fossils and archaeological evidence for each stage of their theories.

The fossils don't explain macro evolution, although they do explain where animals died through history. Scientists are attempting to link them animals to make them all part of one big family, however - macro evolution can't be tested for certainty, but i don't have enough time to go into detail sorry.

I'll link you to a good link for more details (by an ex atheist who became muslim): :)

http://seemyparadigm.webs.com

hope you check it out and enjoy it.

True Christians claim the earth is only about 4500 years old.

Islam began to take hold from about AD615 . What is the Islamic perspective of the age of the earth and plant life and animal life .

We believe Islam [submission to God] has been the religion and guidance sent to all the Prophets and Messengers from God to mankind. Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the final Messenger, after a chain of many Messengers such as Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus son of Mary etc. (peace be upon them all.)

In regard to the earths age, there is no mention of it in our texts. Therefore it does not contradict our faith even if the world is over 1 million years old etc.

And Allah knows best.

Peace.

Snowflake
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Greetings,

well put it this way.. if you have an instruction manual that tells you about the desiger, the product, how to fix problems, how to stop them arising.. it covers everything completely and answers all your questions, you'd follow that one compared to that which only tells you a bit about the designer, a few 'do's and don'ts', a few basic instructions that don't really help you at all.

Well only Islam fully contains intructions needed for mankind to deal with every aspect of life - from, birth, death, marriage, divorce, business, social/spiritual/physical/sexual matters and so on. These instructions are beneficial not only to the individual or society but also to the welfare of our planet.

Look at the hindu practice of cremating bodies. Burning one body requires 880lbs of wood. According to some estimates funeral pyres strip the country of more than 50 million trees annually. The left-over burned body parts are dumped into rivers adding toxicity to already polluted water; not forgetting the carbon dioxide that released into the atmosphere from burning funeral pyres.

Now look at the instructions upon the death of a muslim - Read funeral rites and bury body wrapped in sheet of cotton cloth and you're done. Both naturally disintegrate causing no harm to the environment. How economical and environmentally friendly is that? :D

That was just a small example.. but speaks volumes to those who listen. I follow Islam and claim it to be the true religion because it's logical in all matters, it's guidence doesn't leave one wondering, it's fair in it's punishments, it instructs how to avoid harm at all levels in all aspects of life and gives instructions on how to live in harmony with ppl of other faiths, it's the be all and end all. The complete instruction manual from the Creator. Why would I not favour it over some corrupt old instructions that cannot help me in any way at all?

Peace.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-06-2008, 04:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Greetings,

well put it this way.. if you have an instruction manual that tells you about the desiger, the product, how to fix problems, how to stop them arising.. it covers everything completely and answers all your questions, you'd follow that one compared to that which only tells you a bit about the designer, a few 'do's and don'ts', a few basic instructions that don't really help you at all.

Well only Islam fully contains intructions needed for mankind to deal with every aspect of life - from, birth, death, marriage, divorce, business, social/spiritual/physical/sexual matters and so on. These instructions are beneficial not only to the individual or society but also to the welfare of our planet.

Look at the hindu practice of cremating bodies. Burning one body requires 880lbs of wood. According to some estimates funeral pyres strip the country of more than 50 million trees annually. The left-over burned body parts are dumped into rivers adding toxicity to already polluted water; not forgetting the carbon dioxide that released into the atmosphere from burning funeral pyres.

Now look at the instructions upon the death of a muslim - Read funeral rites and bury body wrapped in sheet of cotton cloth and you're done. Both naturally disintegrate causing no harm to the environment. How economical and environmentally friendly is that? :D

That was just a small example.. but speaks volumes to those who listen. I follow Islam and claim it to be the true religion because it's logical in all matters, it's guidence doesn't leave one wondering, it's fair in it's punishments, it instructs how to avoid harm at all levels in all aspects of life and gives instructions on how to live in harmony with ppl of other faiths, it's the be all and end all. The complete instruction manual from the Creator. Why would I not favour it over some corrupt old instructions that cannot help me in any way at all?

Peace.

Perfect answer :thumbs_up

it instructs how to avoid harm at all levels in all aspects of life
Prevention is better than cure!

Ayoub
06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Why do I believe Islam is the only true religion? Simple. That's because I believe in Islam, and part of believing in Islam is to believe that Islam is the true religion :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.