/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical design in the human body - INTERESTING READ!

Snowflake
05-17-2008, 12:16 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~
AL-BADI: The Originator of Creation, the Incomparable

"He created without model or material. Everything He creates is a wonder, since He originated it from nothing. Like the original creations, all the continuous created things are different from each other."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Electrical Design in The Human Body

by Craig Savige

In the last century, our society’s dependence on electricity and all the devices associated with it has grown phenomenally. How many of us can really imagine what it would be like without electricity? Yet, electricity and devices which harness it have been around since the beginning of creation!

Electricity itself can be defined as the movement or current of small charged particles, usually electrons. Some substances, such as metals and various types of liquids, allow the movement of (or conduct) charged particles better than others. The harnessing of electricity has enabled us to develop devices which cause electrical energy to be changed into some other form of energy—e.g. heat (cooking), light (electric bulbs), motion (electric motors).

Man was not the first to harness electricity and put it to work. When we look at the human body, for example, especially the nervous system, we should conclude that the designer of the human body must have had an intricate knowledge of electronics and must have known how to harness electrical energy to change it into other forms of energy. When we consider the scale of the operation (i.e. at the atomic and microscopic levels), we can only wonder at God’s profound wisdom in creation.

The nervous system is composed of two parts: the central nervous system, which is the control centre comprising the brain and the spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system, which consists of nerves connecting other parts of the body to the control centre. Via a combination of electrical and chemical processes, the nervous system is used to control the functioning of the entire human body.

Scientists inherently acknowledge that the nervous system is built according to an electrical design. The scientific literature describing the nervous system is replete with references to electrical theory and electrical devices that man uses today. Such references include technical words like batteries, transducers, motors, pumps, calculators, transmitters, electrochemical potential, circuitry, binary system, current, resistance, voltage, capacitance, charge. The difficulty of describing the nervous system without resorting to such language implies the Creator’s understanding prior to man’s electrical inventions.

The basic building block of the nervous system is the nerve cell, called a neuron. The brain itself consists primarily of neurons. Under a microscope a neuron looks like an octopus with many tentacles. A neuron can transmit an electrical impulse to the next neuron (see How do our nerves transmit information?). The network of electrical impulses enables us to receive information from the physical world and then send it to our brains, and vice versa. Without the neuron circuits our bodies would completely shut down, like turning off the power supply to a city.

One textbook author states, concerning the nervous system, ‘We speak of it as the most local circuit, or a microcircuit. It is very common for a particular type of microcircuit to be repeated throughout a layer or a given cell type, thus acting as a module for a specific type of information processing.’1 [Emphasis added.]

Information from the physical world to our brain is relayed via our five senses using electrical devices which change one form of energy into electrical energy. Our bodies have sensory receptor cells because there are different types of physical stimuli to be changed into electrical signals. For example, a different type of receptor cell is required for hearing stimuli than for smell stimuli.

The neuron may be likened to a switch which is turned either on or off according to the right conditions. ‘Under normal body conditions, the frequency of [electrical pulse] transmission may range between 10 and 500 impulses per second.’2 The impulse is not generated unless the neuron has been given a strong enough stimulus. It is hard to imagine the complex integration of electrical signals without realizing the Creator’s power and wisdom.

The individual neuron is only a small component in the interconnected circuitry of the nervous system. Information scientist Dr Werner Gitt says, ‘If it were possible to describe [the nervous system] as a circuit diagram, [with each neuron] represented by a single pinhead, such a circuit diagram would require an area of several square kilometres … [it would be] several hundred times more complex than the entire global telephone network.’3

To gain a true comprehension of the complexity of this circuitry, we must understand that co-ordination between neurons is essential. The computations required for such co-ordination are enormous. ‘There may be from ten trillion to one hundred trillion synapses [i.e. connections between neurons] in the brain, and each one operates as a tiny calculator that tallies signals arriving as electrical pulses.’4 [Emphasis added.] Thus, messages to and from the brain are relayed, moving from one neuron to another.

It is difficult to understand how anyone can believe that the nervous system, particularly the brain, could have been produced by evolutionary randomness and selection. We have barely touched on some of the electrical design present in the rest of the body. The truth is that scientists are always discovering more about its workings, since its complexity, which far surpasses anything produced by man, is nothing short of a miracle. Truly we can say with David, ‘I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are marvellous and my soul knows it very well’ (Psalm 139:14).

How do our nerves transmit information?

A nerve fibre is actually an extension of a single nerve cell.

The inside and outside of most of our cells are bathed with fluid containing positively and negatively charged ions (e.g. sodium Na+; potassium K+; chloride Cl_). Using complex biological ‘pumps’, the cell’s machinery is able to transport positively charged ions through the (semi) permeable membrane, with the end result being that there is a slight excess of negatively charged ones inside. This means there will be an electric potential across the membrane, so that the inside and outside are like the positive and negative poles on a battery, i.e. it is polarized (Fig. 1).

If something causes the membrane to suddenly become more permeable at one spot, the resulting flow of positive ions back into the cell causes the charge differences to cancel out at this point—i.e. , the membrane will become depolarized there (Fig. 2).

This depolarization then spreads sideways, like a wave, along the cell wall, i.e. along the nerve fibre. The message in our nerve fibres is not transmitted by an electric current as such, but by a wave of depolarization (Fig. 3). The cell’s biological pumps restore the electric charge to the membrane behind the path of the wave.

A number of things—mechanical or electrical stimuli, or chemical effects—can cause this temporary increase in permeability. Where one nerve fibre A makes contact with another B at what is called a synapse, the arriving wave causes the release of special transmitter chemicals from tiny containers. These chemicals cause depolarization in B at that contact point, so starting a new wave of depolarization going in the same direction. Once released, the transmitter chemicals have to be broken down almost instantly, otherwise B would stay depolarized, and unable to build up charge ready for the next ‘firing’.

Organophosphorus insecticides (e.g. malathion) work by preventing this breakdown, thus the insect’s nerve cells cease to function properly. Because our nerve fibres use the same transmitter chemicals, malathion is poisonous to humans if exposed to enough of it.

This whole cycle of charge, discharge, chemical release, breakdown, and remanufacture, can happen several hundred times per second. Even with this very simplified description, it is clearly an astonishing process. The information to plan and make all this is stored in code on our DNA, the material of heredity. We really are fearfully and wonderfully made! Return to text.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dr.Trax
05-17-2008, 12:29 PM
:sl:

Jazakallahkhair Sister!
Good topic!

Now wait for the BIG attack from the Evolutionists!:skeleton:
:w:

Chuck
05-17-2008, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dr.Trax

Jazakallahkhair Sister!
Good topic!

well evolutionist will not have a problem with the article unless they are atheist type evolutionist.

Khayal
05-17-2008, 07:06 PM

Good article! jazaakAllaah khayr Siis.. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ranma1/2
05-18-2008, 04:26 AM
i woudl think even theistic evolutionists may have an issue. (most to my knowlege go with that a god started the spark, some think god started a little later in the process.)
But just to say it, read about evolutoin. this would occur naturally through that process.

Snowflake
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
i woudl think even theistic evolutionists may have an issue. (most to my knowlege go with that a god started the spark, some think god started a little later in the process.)
But just to say it, read about evolutoin. this would occur naturally through that process.
But hang on a min... if there was no God and everything was the result of evolution as you define it, then why are our brains programmed to accept belief in God? In fact a number of structures in the brain work together help us to experience religion and spirituality. So if there was no God why didn't evolutionized brains adapt to this sense of 'reality'? On the contrary, evolution (in your terms) turned us from animals into believing human beings. Then however you define evolution, it still proves that there is a God!

------
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
:salamext:

Wiked article, Jazaak Allaah Khayr!! x

Chuck
05-19-2008, 01:04 AM
natural processes are dependent on the laws of universe that make the world go round. :blind:

second, we don't know completely about how evolution works. There are growing number of scientists that are beginning to look into non-random mutations among other things that has been ignored for decades. I doubt it, that theistic evolutionists would deny the role of God behind these mechanisms.

ranma1/2
05-19-2008, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
But hang on a min... if there was no God and everything was the result of evolution as you define it, then why are our brains programmed to accept belief in God? In fact a number of structures in the brain work together help us to experience religion and spirituality. So if there was no God why didn't evolutionized brains adapt to this sense of 'reality'? On the contrary, evolution (in your terms) turned us from animals into believing human beings. Then however you define evolution, it still proves that there is a God!
why do some brains accept the belief in gremlins, ghosts, boogymen, unicorns, demons, ect...... and as stated earlier many believe in a god that just started the spark of life and let nature take its course. Evolution has made us human as much as it makes bees bees. The only thing your have shown is that humans have a tendency to be very imaginative.

ranma1/2
05-19-2008, 05:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
natural processes are dependent on the laws of universe that make the world go round. :blind:

second, we don't know completely about how evolution works. There are growing number of scientists that are beginning to look into non-random mutations among other things that has been ignored for decades. I doubt it, that theistic evolutionists would deny the role of God behind these mechanisms.
true, evolution as much as any science is always "evolving" and it is thoughtthat there is more to it than just mutation and selection. (no thought of any ID behind it though)

Azy
05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dr.Trax
What is there to attack? This is just another one of those "oh look it's so complicated it must have been designed" threads.
Nothing about how you decide what properties of a thing show that it was 'designed'.

Chuck
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
true, evolution as much as any science is always "evolving" and it is thoughtthat there is more to it than just mutation and selection. (no thought of any ID behind it though)
That would depend what is meant by ID.

Chuck
05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
What is there to attack? This is just another one of those "oh look it's so complicated it must have been designed" threads.
Nothing about how you decide what properties of a thing show that it was 'designed'.
What properties in my car show that it was designed?

root
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
What properties in my car show that it was designed?
Dunno about you, but the "Ford" badge on my car prity much gives the game away :D

truemuslim
05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Dunno about you, but the "Ford" badge on my car prity much gives the game away :D
do u wanna badge on u everywhere u go saying "Allah created me" ???
:rollseyes
neway
no surprise there is a debate goin on here... say "Allah created bugs" and watch a debate happen..
jazakallah khair sis muslimah_sis very beatiful article :statisfie

Chuck
05-19-2008, 06:47 PM
That would be in the current situation, but lets say if cars had a self producing mechanism and nobody was visibly making them, to the skeptic one can argue all they want but skeptic will not consider it designed. Another can look at it and its mechanisms holistically and infer it is designed.

root
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
That would be in the current situation, but lets say if cars had a self producing mechanism. and nobody was visibly making them,
Well, let's say as well as cars having self production mechanism that Lions evolve machine guns with 7.62 calibre rounds. Happy hunting days begin, ah wait. The gazzels evolve effective kevlar bullet proof skin .

We can "lets say" all we like and fantasise about anything.

to the skeptic one can argue all they want but skeptic will not consider it designed. Another can look at it and its mechanisms holistically and infer it is designed.
Then perhaps I could sell the skeptic a few seeds promising him that if he plants it and waters it next day a brand new "Ford" will have grown created from clay. Wonder how many dollars I could get.........

Chuck
05-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, let's say as well as cars having self production mechanism that Lions evolve machine guns with 7.62 calibre rounds. Happy hunting days begin, ah wait. The gazzels evolve effective kevlar bullet proof skin .

We can "lets say" all we like and fantasise about anything.

Then perhaps I could sell the skeptic a few seeds promising him that if he plants it and waters it next day a brand new "Ford" will have grown created from clay. Wonder how many dollars I could get.........
sure those can be hypothetical situations, and all those could be part of the mechanisms that evolved. To you it may looked desiged but for an skeptic if all that seems is self governing, he/she may not agree it is desiged at all. There would be no direct proof.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.