/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid embryos

glo
05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I am wondering, what is the Islamic perspective on the use of hybrid embryos for medical research and study of genetic defects?

A hybrid embryo is a mixture of animal and human tissue.

Scientists in the UK are already working on one specific type of hybrid.

These are created by transferring DNA from human cells, such as skin cells, into animal eggs that have had virtually all their genetic information removed.

The resulting embryos are more than 99% human, with a small animal component of around 0.1%.

They are then grown in the lab for a few days before being harvested for stem cells, immature cells that can become many types of tissue.
More information here.
And here.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey

A hybrid embryo is a mixture of animal and human tissue.
Isn't this a bit like Sodomy?

جوري
05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I think anything used to better the health of man kind, not perversity or to make norm the absence of moral or spiritual values should be ok..
of course this is my personal opinion and I am a bit biased in that regard.. if you can harvest an eye or a heart through stem cells for organ donations or end some of the lethal lysosomal, glycogen, lipid storage diseases and a million others, it would be of great benefit to man-kind..

The secret however is the scientific-ethical community..
decisions here shouldn't be made without due deliberation... and the scientific/medical reviews shouldn't be subject to the opinions of lay-men or politicians...

This isn't a freak show, the Island of Dr. moreau type of travesty.. it should be about health care and about saving lives!

my two cents!

cheers

barney
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm personally in favor of it.

The fears somepeople have, mainly catholics who are voicing the fears . are that humans are "playing God"

If we can create life, we may create new life forms.
Perhaps one day we will be able to create soil, or oxygen or new materials or even stars and planets. Perhaps one day we might create a universe.
Perhaps if we do then after our civilisation is destroyed, all our creations will come looking for us? :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
You are getting carried away.. you can't create anything ex nihilo!-- you can only work with material already in existence.. but thank you for speaking like a true atheist always bordering upon science fiction.. and for proving my point exactly.

barney
05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
You are getting carried away.. you can't create anything ex nihilo!-- you can only work with material already in existence.. but thank you for speaking like a true atheist always bordering upon science fiction.. and for proving my point exactly.

Sure I'm getting carried away. We cant create something from nothing. God started the process off.

However why does God still have to be around? Human's may be extinct in 73000 years, but 300000 years after this, the Splarkhonkers, (our creations) may be looking for us. And yea! do they search in vain.

glo
05-20-2008, 07:36 PM
^
Are you suggesting that God is dead, and we (his creation) are looking for him in vain? :?

barney
05-20-2008, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
^
Are you suggesting that God is dead, and we (his creation) are looking for him in vain? :?

Ummm...

Errr

Yeah, pretty much. :(

tetsujin
05-20-2008, 10:19 PM
You are getting carried away.. you can't create anything ex nihilo!

Is there anything you don't know?

جوري
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tetsujin
Is there anything you don't know?
There is plenty that I don't know.. But I start at a different baseline than yours!
cheers

جوري
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Sure I'm getting carried away. We cant create something from nothing. God started the process off.

However why does God still have to be around? Human's may be extinct in 73000 years, but 300000 years after this, the Splarkhonkers, (our creations) may be looking for us. And yea! do they search in vain.
You should start the barnacles chronicles and address the world with why God has abandoned it ey?

cheers

Armand
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Ummm...

Errr

God, the creator of death, is dead?

Atheists say the darnest things.

ranma1/2
05-21-2008, 02:11 AM
hes an agnostic, dont know if hes an atheists.

barney
05-21-2008, 06:53 AM
You should start the barnacles chronicles and address the world with why God has abandoned it ey?

cheers

I have not got a clue why he abandoned it.
I could speculate. Not around anymore/died/went on holiday for a few billion years/Lost interactive powers....etcetc

I'm not an atheist thanks very much. I'm a Theist-Agnostic. Hence I beleive in one or many Gods, unknown and unnamed that started this whole carnival rolling.

Even if my point holds true and after creating life we create planets then universes, will that make us God? Not really, because we are left with the original creator and who made It.

However our Human Hybrids in a million years, (personally I prefer a Human-Penguin Hybrid), would be searching for their creator, and in many ways, it would be us. Perhaps in the last days of contact we left them some messages like "Make sure you wash your flippers" or "Abhor the Seals for they are the wicked". This perhaps will be our legacy.

------
05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Ummm...

Errr

Hey

:lol: ;D Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh! ;D

Malaikah
05-21-2008, 08:32 AM
:sl:

I don't see a problem with it, as long as they are terminating the process after a few days, by which time the soul has not been breathed in. But then, of course, I'm no scholar.

جوري
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I have not got a clue why he abandoned it.
then why make such a claim?

I could speculate. Not around anymore/died/went on holiday for a few billion years/Lost interactive powers....etcetc
Aha, I guess speculate here is the operative word? I still see no holes in the skies, still the sun is rising, still the planets rotating, still the seasons revolving.

I'm not an atheist thanks very much. I'm a Theist-Agnostic. Hence I beleive in one or many Gods, unknown and unnamed that started this whole carnival rolling.
ok --good to know.. just a couple of posts ago, you were trying not to depress me with your atheism..

Even if my point holds true and after creating life we create planets then universes, will that make us God? Not really, because we are left with the original creator and who made It.
let's say this.. I'll give you a small project this afternoon. Take a leaf already from existence to your nearest laboratory, ask them to break it down to its smallest componenets, those tiny little base pairs that make its genetic material, then re-anneal them again, and let me know if it retains its original shape and seems lively?

However our Human Hybrids in a million years, (personally I prefer a Human-Penguin Hybrid), would be searching for their creator, and in many ways, it would be us. Perhaps in the last days of contact we left them some messages like "Make sure you wash your flippers" or "Abhor the Seals for they are the wicked". This perhaps will be our legacy.
I think everyone knows their creator for they don't stray so much from the path assigned them, except for us human beings.. we like to waste time because it seems we have so much of it on our hands?

cheers

glo
05-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Children, children ... can we get back on topic??? :?

barney
05-21-2008, 02:54 PM
then why make such a claim?

Aha, I guess speculate here is the operative word? I still see no holes in the skies, still the sun is rising, still the planets rotating, still the seasons revolving.

ok --good to know.. just a couple of posts ago, you were trying not to depress me with your atheism..

let's say this.. I'll give you a small project this afternoon. Take a leaf already from existence to your nearest laboratory, ask them to break it down to its smallest componenets, those tiny little base pairs that make its genetic material, then re-anneal them again, and let me know if it retains its original shape and seems lively?

I think everyone knows their creator for they don't stray so much from the path assigned them, except for us human beings.. we like to waste time because it seems we have so much of it on our hands?
cheers
Because I'm Speculating.

Great isnt it. I wonder if the Wogglefangles made it? Having said that, perhaps Allah made the Wogglefangles

I was lumping myself in with disbeleivers, since anyone who dosnt beleive seems to be all the same to a true monotheist

OK , Tried that. They laughed and said come back in perhaps a few hundred years...who knows.

Welcome to socio-religious control mechanisms!

:cry::D:blind::statisfie:-[+o(:):exhausted:laugh::raging::skeleton::rollseyes :enough!::X:thumbs_up:omg::phew:?

Dont worry Glo! Skye likes squabbeling really. I just think sometimes her Signiture should be "MUUUWAHAHAHHAHAH!!"

Amadeus85
05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Human- animal hybrids? For me it sounds bad. Its another step in the direction that we dont know where it might lead us.

snakelegs
05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
unless it is expressly forbidden in islam, i think anything to save a human life would be permissable?
but it does pose serious ethical problems.

barney
05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
unless it is expressly forbidden in islam, i think anything to save a human life would be permissable?
but it does pose serious ethical problems.
What about a Crocohamster. The Body of a crocodile mixed with the head of a hamster? Morally dubious or not, that would be one sweet animal.

جوري
05-21-2008, 09:58 PM
it would be something like this

growing human parts on animals to harness them later, assimilate that to organ donations..
Yes there are many ethical issues with that..
both sides need to make their intentions clear.. those christian quacks who want to stop all sorts of stem cell research wouldn't be braying like donkeys when one of them is sick and can't get a poor kid from the hood to die fast enough to give him an organ or two to save him from his alcoholic cirrhotic liver.. at the same time, if it is used for other than the medical benefit of man kind, then I see this as unethical and not conforming to the norms or oaths that scientists supposedly take upon themselves for the betterment of mankind...

I am not a religious scholar.. I am merely stating my opinion but would be curious of the Islamic jurisprudence stance on this..

:w:

snakelegs
05-22-2008, 12:05 AM

I am not a religious scholar.. I am merely stating my opinion but would be curious of the Islamic jurisprudence stance on this..
yes, i would too. it would be really interesting.
all these new technologies raise new problems and the answers are no doubt complex too. like at what time does it become wrong to go to all kinds of heroic lengths to prolong life? are there limits about the permissibility of various available technologies?
more and more doctors are being put in the position of having to make decisions that no human being should have to make. this has always been the case of course (triage) but it is getting more complicated all the time and raises all kinds of issues.
and then there is the reality of lack of health care in this country and sometimes decisions are not based on what it right, but on who has the best insurance, and forget those who have none.
i know you are going to be doctor and i don't envy you one bit.
p.s. that was one creeeeepy picture!

ranma1/2
05-22-2008, 04:13 AM
What about a Crocohamster. The Body of a crocodile mixed with the head of a hamster? Morally dubious or not, that would be one sweet animal.
is that related to the crocoduck?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.