/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Ummah ...

glo
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Can I ask what the Ummah actually is?

When Muslims express concern for the Ummah, do they just mean fellow Muslims?
I am asking because, as I understand, according to Islam everybody is a Muslim - although not everybody acknowledges it. (Hence people revert to Islam, not convert.)

It made me wonder whether Ummah perhaps includes Muslims-to-be or 'potential Muslims' (which would be pretty much everybody) ... or just 'proclaimed Muslims'?

(I hope I am making my question clear. I feel like I am waffling ... :-[)

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
05-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey

Click Here

Google is very useful, I tell you :D

glo
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Thank you, Brok3n :thankyou:

------
05-21-2008, 07:48 AM
:salamext:

Welcome :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
05-21-2008, 09:29 AM
im a bit confused..

i thought ummah is every man from one prophet to the other.

so the ummah of Adam was from him to Nuh, the ummah of Nuh from him to the next prophet and so on.

i thought this entails even disbelievers, as it is a mission of every muslim to take everyone into islaam and help then attain jannah....

Allahu A'lam quite confused now

------
05-21-2008, 09:36 AM
:salamext:

i thought ummah is every man from one prophet to the other.

so the ummah of Adam was from him to Nuh, the ummah of Nuh from him to the next prophet and so on.
^ You thought correct...

"community" or "nation," a word used to refer to the community of believers founded by Muhammad.
http://www.juniata.edu/faculty/tuten.../glossary.html

In the context of Islam, the word ummah is used to mean the diaspora or "Community of the Believers" (ummat al-mu'minin), and thus the whole Muslim world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ummah

I don't think Ummah includes disbelievers...

glo
05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
So when Muslims pray for the Ummah, they pray for the global community of Muslims, alive at this time?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.