/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did Prophet Peace be upon him Struck Aisha (ra)?

Nerd
05-20-2008, 06:32 PM
(Sahih Bukhari, Kitab Al-Salat: Book 004, Number 2127)

"Muhammad b. Qais said (to the people): Should I not narrate to you (a hadith of the Holy Prophet) on my authority and on the authority of my mother? We thought that he meant the mother who had given him birth. He (Muhammad b. Qais) then reported that it was 'A'isha who had narrated this: Should I not narrate to you about myself and about the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)? We said: Yes. She said: When it was my turn for Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to spend the night with me, he turned his side, put on his mantle and took off his shoes and placed them near his feet, and spread the corner of his shawl on his bed and then lay down till he thought that I had gone to sleep. He took hold of his mantle slowly and put on the shoes slowly, and opened the door and went out and then closed it lightly. I covered my head, put on my veil and tightened my waist wrapper, and then went out following his steps till he reached Baqi'. He stood there and he stood for a long time. He then lifted his hands three times, and then returned and I also returned. He hastened his steps and I also hastened my steps. He ran and I too ran. He came (to the house) and I also came (to the house). I, however, preceded him and I entered (the house), and as I lay down in the bed, he (the Holy Prophet) entered the (house), and said: Why is it, O 'A'isha, that you are out of breath? I said: There is nothing. He said: Tell me or the Subtle and the Aware would inform me. I said: Messenger of Allah, may my father and mother be ransom for you, and then I told him (the whole story). He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you? She said: Whatsoever the people conceal, Allah will know it. He said: Gabriel came to me when you saw me. He called me and he concealed it from you. I responded to his call, but I too concealed it from you (for he did not come to you), as you were not fully dressed. I thought that you had gone to sleep, and I did not like to awaken you, fearing that you may be frightened. He (Gabriel) said: Your Lord has commanded you to go to the inhabitants of Baqi' (to those lying in the graves) and beg pardon for them. I said: Messenger of Allah, how should I pray for them (How should I beg forgiveness for them)? He said: Say, Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city (graveyard) from among the Believers and the Muslims, and may Allah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us, and those who come later on, and we shall, God willing, join you".

Can someone give the correct interpretation of the above Hadith?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NYCmuslim
05-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Doesn't really make sense that the prophet would strike a lady like that in any way. It seems out of his character.

barney
05-21-2008, 11:32 PM
The Hadith is unreliable?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NYCmuslim
Doesn't really make sense that the prophet would strike a lady like that in any way. It seems out of his character.
:sl:

Actually, since our understanding of his character is learned from the ahadeeth it would make no sense if one was to discredit a hadeeth just because the individual perceives it as 'out of his character'. Alpha Dude's post contains a very good explanation.

format_quote Originally Posted by barney
The Hadith is unreliable?
It is completely authentic. No doubts about this.

Alpha Dude's post contains a very good explanation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
barney
05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
It is completely authentic. No doubts about this.

Alpha Dude's post contains a very good explanation.
So Aisha by spying on the Prophet and what he was up to in the night had committed an unworthy or bad act and the Push/Strike was to eject the evil out of her, yep?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-21-2008, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
So Aisha by spying on the Prophet and what he was up to in the night had committed an unworthy or bad act and the Push/Strike was to eject the evil out of her, yep?
Read the explanation and you can answer that yourself. It's not that hard.

barney
05-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Read the explanation and you can answer that yourself. It's not that hard.
Bah, I thought i had. I just wanted to confirm it.:D
From Alpha Dudes post, It looks like the Hitting/Pushes are a form of miracle, where physically interacting in this way can produce a spiritual effect.

Nerd
05-22-2008, 06:42 AM
^Can someone confirm, whether pushing/hitting is some form of miracle which produces a spiritual effect as barny understood from alpha dudes description?

barney
05-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Patience young padawan, :)

NYCmuslim
05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
So are you saying its ok to push/slap someone in the chest if they have evil thoughts? ^o)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
So are you saying its ok to push/slap someone in the chest if they have evil thoughts? ^o)
Did it say that in the hadeeth? ^o)

It seems to me you're just trying to find a meaning that isn't there in order to support your erroneous and ill informed hadeeth-doubting premise. :rollseyes

chacha_jalebi
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you?

you should have highlighted that bit :D

he didnt strike her or anythin, as explained in SISTER alphas post, it was a poke or somethin light like a tap, and after poking/tappin her he says do you im unjust.... see subhanallah, he is like reminder her, its like when someone tels you off and taps you hand and says dont do that or dont say that, gerrit!!

if it was meant in a violent way, he wouldnt say after that, Allah and his Prophet, will not deal unjustly with you, if it was in a violent way, he wouldnt have said that, he would have said somethin serious, not somethin sweet and nice like that!

so point proven, NEXT :D

IbnAbdulHakim
05-22-2008, 03:13 PM
now highlight where the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam was seen crying due to not being able to give the orphans anymore money due to not having any, seen by khadija who after seeing this gave him her wealth to give to the orphans which made him happy

"DID THIS REALLY HAPPEN?"

*WAITS!!!*

barney
05-22-2008, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain",
he didnt strike her or anythin, as explained in SISTER alphas post, it was a poke or somethin light like a tap,
So not enough to cause pain.
Or perhaps it was metaphoric spiritual pain when she realised she was in error. Or this spiritual pain was so bad it caused actual physical pain.

I'd be interested if the Scholars had a decision on this strike
A physical action (the hitting) which causes a spiritual effect, (Driving away from sin or driving out sin or removing the Evil Eye) is miraculous.
Although not in a red-sea parting way, it is on the same basis, with worldly actions and presumed effects.

If it was a miracle it ought to have been documented as evidence of Allahs power working through the prophet?

Mohammed commanded the ummah to not beat their wives (unless it was necessery), so I think we can take this as He wasnt beating her here, or that her error was sufficient to warrent admonishment, but the admonishment was just.

truemuslim
05-22-2008, 07:34 PM
So that hadith meant she felt pain by shame or something now pain in physically right?

barney
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, Sore usually means that you can feel something for a while afterwards.
So either she felt spiritual pain for some time, over following him to see what he was up to, and the tap was coincidence or a miracle, or It was physical pain and a hell of a whack.

truemuslim
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
^ Lol i doubt its a hell of a whack... its the prophet we is talkin bout
this hadith couldnt be true if its saying rasulallah did this, and caused physical pain, it could be a fake hadith.

NYCmuslim
05-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Did it say that in the hadeeth? ^o)

It seems to me you're just trying to find a meaning that isn't there in order to support your erroneous and ill informed hadeeth-doubting premise. :rollseyes
The explainations in Alpha's post make it seem that way.
BTW:

"Struck" is a bad translation here. The word used is 'lahaza' , which could be translated as "Push" and at most "slap with an open palm" but not a hard, violent slap (and note translating it as "slap" is weaker and less probable).
What constitutes the severity of the word lahaza? Does the definition state that it is a "light" slap or just a slap? If you can please write the word in arabic so I can look it up.

A correct translation would be: He pushed me (lahadani) in the chest (fi sadri) with a push (lahdatan)which made me sore (awja'atni).
If she became sore because of this, then the push had inflicted physical pain on her. Given that, this couldn't have been a action done by the Prophet. No where in the Quran is hitting of the wife justified. If you bring up 4:34, then I'll tell you in advanced that its mistranslated.

Peace.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
The explainations in Alpha's post make it seem that way.
BTW:
Honestly, I have no intention of getting into another discussion with you explaining the issues because you've made it clear many times before that you are a hadeeth-rejector. The explanation is there, and it is self explanatory.

What constitutes the severity of the word lahaza? Does the definition state that it is a "light" slap or just a slap? If you can please write the word in arabic so I can look it up.
Learn arabic. It'll not only help you understand this hadeeth, perhaps you'll understand the Qur'an then too instead of relying on your heretic (by the consensus of the Ummah) mu'tazila friends who are misleading you by their whims and desires.

{And the Day the wrongdoer will bite on his hands [in regret] he will say, "Oh, I wish I had taken with the Messenger a way. Oh, woe to me! I wish I had not taken that one as a friend. He led me away from the remembrance after it had come to me. And ever is Satan, to man, a deserter.}[al-Furqan; 27-29]

Giving you the word won't serve you any benefit because at the end of the day, your belief about hadeeth will not change due to the definition of a word. The problem here is greater than that, it lies in the usul whose knowledge you refuse to educate yourself about, whilst you are concerning yourself with the furoo, and anyone can only help you so far when you decide to take such a route.

If she became sore because of this, then the push had inflicted physical pain on her. Given that, this couldn't have been a action done by the Prophet.
Since you've never met the Prophet, never seen him, never talked to him, never observed him, never sat with him, it is isn't your place to judge what is an action that he can do or cannot do. Do you expect me to believe that the thousands of scholars in over the past millennium apparently did not see this 'problem' in this hadeeth and lo and behold you are the first one with the intelligence to find it? It seems that the hadeeth-rejectors claims fall into greater absurdity day by day! If you came up with an academic inquiry, it would be subsequently dealt with, but all you hadeeth-rejectors ever come up with is arguments based on the false (and completely irrelevant in academia) premises of your emotions as to what your whims dictate should be the truth. It doesn't work like that. These and the other hadeeths that you have a problem with, guess what? The rest of this ummah does not have a problem with them. Why? Because they take the time to learn, and to us the explanations make perfect and complete sense. Therefore, the problem simply does not lie in the hadeeth, but lies in the heart and intelligence of the one who reads it. It is like music. Two individuals hear the same thing the same sounds, but it is the heart that receives it: is either diseased or pure and based on that it likes what it hears or hates what it hears. Do you know what is worse than ignorance brother? It is to be heedless of the fact that one is ignorant.

:w:

chacha_jalebi
05-22-2008, 09:33 PM
i think something is trying to be found from the hadiths, when nothing is there lol

the hadiths is simple, we know the Prophet (saw) was the bestest of person, and as he himself says do you think that i will be unjust, so it shows it werent a act of violence or anger,

so i dooo believe its been answered

and if a hadith rejector is questioning hadiths lol, erm show me o hadith rejecting person from the Quraan how much rakaahs do you pray? do you believe in the sahaba? their names? and what about the dajjal:p pssssh you cant answer can you! may Allah (swt) guide us all and make us the best of muslims

now whoever is a mod in this areaa, close the thread (i wish i was a mod in this section) HINT HINT@admin :D

Muhammad
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Greetings,

Please note that lay people are not qualified to interpret hadeeth, hence I would recommend those with such questions to ask the people of knowledge - those who have actually studied the sciences of hadeeth and are better qualified to shed light on the issue.

Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.