/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Female students kissing one another every day

'Abd-al Latif
05-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Question:
What is the ruling on kissing people on the cheek, apart from husband and wife? This phenomenon has become widespread among girls in school, to such an extent that two friends will exchange kisses every morning. I would like to know the Islamic ruling, with evidence, and the ruling on this strange phenomenon in particular.

Answer

Praise be to Allaah.

What is prescribed when meeting is to say salaams and shake hands. If a person has come from a journey then it is prescribed to embrace him. As for kissing at every meeting, this is not part of the Sunnah of greeting, rather it is narrated that this is disallowed. Al-Tirmidhi narrated (2728) that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said: O Messenger of Allaah, when one of us meets his brother or his friend, should he bow to him? He said: No. He said: Should he embrace him and kiss him? He said: No. He said: Should he take his hand and shake hands with him? He said: Yes. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

Yes, kissing is prescribed on some occasions, when returning from a journey and the like. See question no. 34497.

But as for exchanging kisses every morning, there is no doubt that this is not prescribed, and it is a strange phenomenon that is alien to Muslim societies. There is the fear that it may be taken as a means by those in whose hearts is a disease to engage in haraam physical pleasure within the framework of another phenomenon which is called admiration, which is undoubtedly a haraam kind of infatuation.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

As for embracing and kissing the face of someone other than a person who has returned from travelling, etc – apart from a child – this is makrooh, as was clearly stated by al-Baghawi and others… As for a handsome beardless youth, it is haraam to kiss him under any circumstances, whether he is returning from a journey or not. It seems that embracing him is akin to kissing him, whether the one who is kissing or the one who is kissed are righteous or otherwise. End quote from al-Majmoo’, 4/477

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas were asked: There is the phenomenon of young men kissing one another on the cheeks every time they meet, every day. This phenomenon has also spread among old men, in the mosques and in the classrooms. Is this contrary to the Sunnah or is there nothing wrong with it? Is it a bid’ah or a sin or is it permissible?

They replied:

What is prescribed when meeting is to say salaam and shake hands, If the meeting is after a journey then it is prescribed to embrace as well, because it is narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) met, they would shake hands, and if they had come from a journey they would embrace. As for kissing the cheeks, we do not know of any Sunnah to indicate that. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 24/128

Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth al-Saheehah (1/74, hadeeth no. 160): This is the hadeeth of al-Tirmidhi that we mentioned at the beginning of our answer:

In fact the hadeeth clearly states that kissing when meeting is not prescribed in Islam. That does not include kissing one's children or wife, as is obvious.

With regard to the ahaadeeth which state that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kissed some of his companions on various occasions – such as when he kissed and embraced Zayd ibn Haarithah when he came to Madeenah, and when he embraced Abu’l-Haytham ibn al-Tayhaan, etc – the following points may be noted in response to that:

1 – These are unsound ahaadeeth which cannot be taken as evidence.

2 – Even if any of them were saheeh, it is not permissible to use them against this saheeh hadeeth, because it is an action on the part of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which may be interpreted as applying to a specific case or there may be some specific reason for that which makes this hadeeth unfit to be used as evidence, unlike this hadeeth, which is a verbal hadeeth that is addressed in general terms to the ummah as a whole, so it is string evidence which cannot be rejected. It is established in the field of usool that words take precedence over deeds in the event of a conflict, and the hadeeth which indicates a prohibition takes precedence over another which indicates permissibility. This hadeeth is verbal and indicates a prohibition, so it takes precedence over the other ahaadeeth mentioned even if they are saheeh.

Similarly, with regard to hugging and embracing, we say that it is not prescribed because the hadeeth forbids it, but Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) met, they would shake hands, and if they had come from a journey they would embrace Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Awsat, and its men are the men of saheeh, as stated by al-Mundhiri (3/270), and al-Bayhaqi, 8/36

Al-Bayhaqi (7/100) narrated with a saheeh isnaad from al-Sha’bi that when the companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) met, they would shake hands, and when they came from a journey they would embrace one another.

Al-Bukhaari narrated in al-Adab al-Mufrad (970), and Ahmad narrated (3/495) that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: I heard that a man knew a hadeeth and had heard it from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). I bought a camel, loaded my luggage onto it, and traveled for a month until I came to Syria, where I found ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Unays. I said to the doorkeeper: Tell him: Jaabir is at the door. He said: Ibn ‘Abd-Allaah? I said: Yes. He came out tripping on his garment and he embraced me and I embraced him… Its isnaad is hasan as stated by al-Haafiz, 1/195. al-Bukhaari narrated it among the mu’aalaq reports.

So it may be said that embracing in the case of a journey is exempted from the prohibition, because the Sahaabah did that. End quote.

And Allaah knows best.

(Source)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Thread Approved

JazakAllah Khayr. That was an interesting read. :)

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
but my sister always kisses girls cousins aunties etc on the cheeks.
its just to show affection....

should she stop it? or is this talking about something different?

*confused*...

'Abd-al Latif
05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
but my sister always kisses girls cousins aunties etc on the cheeks.
its just to show affection....

should she stop it? or is this talking about something different?

*confused*...
Insha'Allah this answer might help, it goes to the link where the sheikh says:

Yes, kissing is prescribed on some occasions, when returning from a journey and the like. See question no. 34497.
With regard to kissing, there is evidence narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which indicates that this is allowed in sharee’ah. It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: Zayd ibn Haarithah came to Madeenah and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was in my house. He came to him and knocked at the door, and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up (to open the door) for him wearing nothing but an izaar (waist wrapper) dragging his garment, and by Allaah I never saw him wearing nothing but an izaar before or after that. And he embraced him and kissed him. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, who said: a hasan hadeeth.

This hadeeth indicates that it is allowed to do that with one who comes. But this hadeeth was classed as da’eef by al-Albaani in Da’eef al-Tirmidhi, 2732.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kissed al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali. Al-Aqra’ ibn Haabis said: “I have ten children and I have never kissed any of them.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He will not be shown mercy who does not show mercy (to others).” Agreed upon.

This hadeeth indicates that kissing is prescribed if it is done out of mercy and compassion. With regard to kissing when meeting someone in a the regular manner, there is evidence that indicates that this is not prescribed, and that it is sufficient to shake hands. It was narrated that Qataadah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said to Anas, “Did the companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) shake hands?” He said, “Yes.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari.

And it was narrated from Anas that when the people of Yemen came, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people of Yemen have come, and they are the first who came shaking hands.” Narrated by Abu Dawood with a saheeh isnaad.

It was narrated that al-Bara’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are no two Muslims who meet and shake hands, but they will be forgiven before they part.” Narrated by Abu Dawood and Ahmad; narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi; also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 5212.

It was narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said, “O Messenger of Allaah, when a man among us meets his brother and friend, should he bow to him?” He said, “No.” He said, “Should he embrace him and kiss him?” He said, “No.” He said, “Should he take his hand and shake hands?” He said, “Yes.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, who said: a hasan hadeeth; but he also said that its isnaad is da’eef, because it includes Hanzalah al-Sadoosi, who is da’eef according to the scholars. But perhaps al-Tirmidhi classed it as hasan because there are other ahaadeeth which support it. It was also classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 2728.

Ahmad, al-Nasaa’i, al-Tirmidhi and others narrated with their saheeh isnaads, and al-Tirmidhi classed it as saheeh, from Safwaan ibn ‘Assaal that two Jews asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about the nine clear signs (given to Moosa), and when he answered their question, they kissed his hands and feet and said, “We bear witness that you are a Prophet.”

Al-Tabaraani narrated with a jayyid isnaad from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: When the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) met, they would shake hands, and when they came from a journey they would embrace one another.” This was mentioned by Ibn Muflih in al-Adaab al-Shar’iyyah.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/144-147.

And Allaah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
:salamext:

^ Yeah, girls/ladies mostly do it when someone comes to their house, to greet them :)

------
05-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Can someone say in one word whether we are allowed to do that or not?

'Abd-al Latif
05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

Can someone say in one word whether we are allowed to do that or not?
From this, no your not allowed. That is, if you're going to kiss your friends when you see them because shaking hands is the sunnah and is sufficient. But as a mercy, for example kissing your mum or a mum kissing her child etc then thats yes.

ummAbdillah
05-22-2008, 05:59 PM
jazakaAllah khayr :w:

Pk_#2
05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh my days the thread title is jokes,

But jazakAllah khair,

This greek girl keeps kissing me, I guess its normal in Greece but its so weird, what do I do? Move away? Loq. This is a serious question,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

------
05-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Tell them your religion does not allow it :)

Pk_#2
05-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Tell them your religion does not allow it :)
Wa'alaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh, (Nice name change)

Wa? They'll be like when the heck did you get all religious,

Plus its just a greek way of greeting eachother, they all do it Loq

I think ima start avoiding that lesson..

------
05-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Hmm.... You say I am starting to become religious :)

Pk_#2
05-22-2008, 06:25 PM

Hmm.... You say I am starting to become religious :)
Wa'alaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

That's hypocrisy, I don't think I can ever say that,

I don't think I can avoid her either, she is also my colleague, double crap.

'Abd-al Latif
05-22-2008, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Happy
Wa'alaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

That's hypocrisy, I don't think I can ever say that,

I don't think I can avoid her either, she is also my colleague, double crap.
Allah says in the qur'an "...Such is the admonition given to him who believes in Allah and the Last Day. And whosoever keeps his duty to Allah, Allah will appoint a way out for him" (talaq - 65:2)

Don't fear the creation, fear Allah.

hrm
08-20-2009, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Question:
What is the ruling on kissing people on the cheek, apart from husband and wife? This phenomenon has become widespread among girls in school, to such an extent that two friends will exchange kisses every morning. I would like to know the Islamic ruling, with evidence, and the ruling on this strange phenomenon in particular.

(Source)
Abdul Baari :sl::statisfie
Brother what you have written here is from the website Islamqa.com and this particular piece was written by Sheikh Mohammad Al- Munajjad. I just finished reading his article.
Here is my statement: Sometimes we see that one hadit is contradicting the other one. Not on one occasion but on many. It doesn't mean that the hadits are wrong but different hadits were quoted to different sahaba by Rasul Allah s.a.w. in different times of his prophethood and during different circumstances. These circumstances kept on changing and accordingly the hadits kept on taking different shapes.

For Example take This aya from the :Koran: Surah Nisa aya 15 "" As for those of your women who are guilty of lewdness, call to witness four of you against them. And if they testify ( to the truth of the allegation) then confine them to the houses until death take them or (until) Allah appoint for them a way ( through new legislation) .Now take :Koran: Surah An-Noor aya 2 "" The adulterer and the adulteress, flog each of them (with) a hundered stripes. And let not pity for the twine withhold you from obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of believers witness their punishment""

And so on and so forth this legislation was explained/expanded by/on by Rasul Allah s.a.w

So Brother you see how the events are unfolding. The above ayats does not mean , Maazallah, Summah Maazallah that Allah didn't know or He was mistaken or anything of that sort. But it means that Allah was revealing to the prophet in stages so that the so much information can be digested and implemented as the human brain can withstand and according to the changing situation which were unfolding in the arabian penunsula at that time.

Now coming to the other part of kissing on cheeks is concerned, read the following hadit which you quoted:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kissed al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali. Al-Aqra’ ibn Haabis said: “I have ten children and I have never kissed any of them.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He will not be shown mercy who does not show mercy (to others).” Agreed upon. This hadeeth indicates that kissing is prescribed if it is done out of mercy and compassion.

Look at the Three hadits about shaking hands :

It was narrated that Qataadah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said to Anas, “Did the companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) shake hands?” He said, “Yes.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari.

And it was narrated from Anas that when the people of Yemen came, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people of Yemen have come, and they are the first who came shaking hands.” Narrated by Abu Dawood with a saheeh isnaad.

It was narrated that al-Bara’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are no two Muslims who meet and shake hands, but they will be forgiven before they part.” Narrated by Abu Dawood and Ahmad; narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi; also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 5212.

Now where would you place all the arabs who are accustomed to kissing each other on the cheeks when they come meet them, not from a journey, but everytime they see each other. Take for example Saudia. Even Imam Kaaba kisses the people of the house and people who come to meet him and so does every other saudi I have seen in Mecca and Madina. Are they committing a gross crime or going against the sunnah of Rasul Allah s.a.w.?
They are embracing, shaking hands, and kissing.
Even all the foreign delegates who are stationed in Saudi Arabia or other gulf states are greeting with either hand shake or are embraced. Only exception is women delegates who are greeted with Saalam.
This is known as the changing circumstances and situations. If you keep yourself within the bounds prescribed by Allah and do not commit gross crimes as forbidden by Allah, Allah is Forgiven, Merciful.
Quran Surah Nisa aya # 31 "" If you ( Muslameen and Momeneen) avoid the great sins which you are forbidden , we will do away with your small sins and make you enter at a noble gate ( of Jannah which is assigned for those who avoid grave sins) Allahhumma Rabana Jaalna Min Hum, Allah Humma Rabana Jjaalna Minhum.

Here I would like to quote a dialoge which happened on my last visit to perform Hajj 2008. I was sitting in Masjiday nababi in Medina and there came an Aalim who was getting his sanad from Medina University and was from Algeria. I was reciting names of Allah on a bead or Tasbih and he came and told me :

Brother: Asalamualikum brother
I : Walaikum Salam Akhi

Brother: do you know that reading names of Allah or anything on these beads is not in the sunnah of our prophet s.a.w
I : How would you know brother?

Brother: Because rasul Allah never did that. This is a latest invention in islam
1: brother let me ask you a question.

Brother : yes please go ahead
I: Brother the gold watch you are wearing in your wrist, did rasul Allah wore it ?

Brother: No
I : Ok tell me , how did you come to medina from Algeria

Brother: I came by place from Algeria
I : did rasul Allah ever travelled by plane other than camel or horse?

Brother : No
I : then how can you say what I am doing is wrong?

Brother: I can prove it
I : quoting from Quran " Kul Ha tu Burhanakum, Inkuntum Sadakeen"

Brother : I can prove it
I: brother I will be sitting here tomorrow at mugrib and will wait for you

Then we parted. He never came back on the prescribed time and date.

This was just an example of where you stand in respect of time today and how we are adapting to changing situations. Everyone on this islamicboard is connected to a computer and internet , yet our prophet s.a.w or salaf never used it.

But I would agree to this extent that girls kissing each other on the cheeks is bad in one sense : if it is picked up by boys and and then this trend starts that boys start kissing girls and vise versa in the name of modernization. If this trend develops this would lead to transgression of Allah's bounds.
First school for the girls and boys starts at home and parents are responsible for changing the mindframe and attitude of the children. I am sure in an Islamic society or islamic school this topic is not even discussed as girls are not kissing each other like in the western societies or some islamic countries which are really influenced by the western culture and there are some high class western school which may be involved in such cultural trends.
This was my humble opinion. Anyone can differ with it.
Allah knows best.

:phew Took me time to write that :statisfie

:wa:

Pk_#2
08-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Allah says in the qur'an "...Such is the admonition given to him who believes in Allah and the Last Day. And whosoever keeps his duty to Allah, Allah will appoint a way out for him" (talaq - 65:2)

Don't fear the creation, fear Allah.
I dun get the quote, sorry!

But hell yeah it's scary, if I man came up to you and kissed you, would you smile and kiss him back or run for your life?

hrm
08-21-2009, 07:02 AM
:sl::statisfie
Sorry I should have been addressing Abd-ul Latif not Abd-ul Baari.
Apology for the misspell :statisfie

IbnAbdulHakim
08-23-2009, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
I dun get the quote, sorry!

But hell yeah it's scary, if I man came up to you and kissed you, would you smile and kiss him back or run for your life?
OR knock him out !

why leave out the important 3rd option?

never in my life has any man attempted to kiss me, and may Allaah keep it that way!

a father kissing his son is of course far more different :)

syilla
02-23-2010, 04:41 AM
*bump interesting... :)

barney
02-23-2010, 04:56 AM
I note that a previous poster said that it was a western phenomenon?

Certainly women kissing each other on the cheek as a greeting is widespread.
I recall being told when I was very small that men diddnt do that sort of thing, except in Arab nations. I must admit to seeing it often on the TV amongst Muslim men, of all ranks from peasants to heads of state but always thought it a cultural thing.

Men kissing men in the west is seen as a open homosexual act even if its on the cheek.
Women holding hands and kissing is seen here as a sign of freindship, and a escpecially feminine one.

Italianguy
02-23-2010, 04:58 AM
Italian men do it as a greeting:embarrass It's not looked at as homosexual, but i wouldn't dare do it in Virginia:phew My uncles do that all the time, nothing weird?

Abdul Qadir
02-23-2010, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Italian men do it as a greeting:embarrass It's not looked at as homosexual, but i wouldn't dare do it in Virginia:phew My uncles do that all the time, nothing weird?
Muslim men do that too...everything is based on the intention...

Italianguy
02-23-2010, 05:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir
Muslim men do that too...everything is based on the intention...
:phew i thought we were the only ones....thank God

AlbanianMuslim
02-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Wait.... I cant kiss my aunty on the cheek? seriously?

barney
02-23-2010, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
Auntie is fine, Mum is fine.

Girl down the road isnt, best freind isnt.:p
Boy down the road? Forget it!

AlbanianMuslim
02-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Whattttttt??
But my best friend is like my sister. We learned to pray together, we do everything together. I dont understand how hugging her and kissing her on the cheek is bad. :(

Italianguy
02-23-2010, 05:18 AM
LOL, I don't care what anyone says, my aunties always get a kiss on the cheek from me:embarrass My Indian mother-in-law thinks it's so weird i do that....it scared her at first;D she just laughs now and says it's an Italian thing...she's right......but i usually just bend down and touch their feet as i am supposed to.

barney
02-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Whattttttt??
But my best friend is like my sister. We learned to pray together, we do everything together. I dont understand how hugging her and kissing her on the cheek is bad. :(
see the original post AlbanianMuslim, that explains it best.
in short, if your freind returns from a journey then it's acceptable to kiss her as a greeting. On a day to day basis, hands are shook instead.

Italianguy
02-23-2010, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
see the original post AlbanianMuslim, that explains it best.
in short, if your freind returns from a journey then it's acceptable to kiss her as a greeting. On a day to day basis, hands are shook instead.
With the right hand....of course

AlbanianMuslim
02-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Oh ok. I talk to her daily but since we are both so busy these days I rarely see her but when I do its BIG hugs and a kiss on the cheek. Same with my aunties. Phew, I got nervous there for a second.

barney
02-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Oh ok. I talk to her daily but since we are both so busy these days I rarely see her but when I do its BIG hugs and a kiss on the cheek. Same with my aunties. Phew, I got nervous there for a second.
Yup families are fine afaik. Hugs n kisses in a bun dance:D

Best freinds and others , kisses if they have returned from journeys only, otherwise its just shaking hands.

Abdul Qadir
02-23-2010, 05:59 AM
there is nothing wrong with it unless u have an evil intention, like a sexual desire for ur aunt...in this case, then its better to avoid it..

SweetCherryPie
02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
I've seen loads of Middle Eastern men/women do this in public here and my relatives and friends greet the same way all the time among the same sex, of course.

HopeFul
02-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Assalamoalaikum, I meet my friends once a week or sometimes twice a week, then I kiss them on thier cheeks, mostly if I meet someone dailt it's only a hello or salam, I must say i dont hvae the habbit of shaking hands...

So after reading this, I must shake hands with people I meet everyday and kiss people only if they have come from a journey? Right?

JazakAllah for sharing this, I never knew this..

SweetCherryPie
02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HopeFul
So after reading this, I must shake hands with people I meet everyday and kiss people only if they have come from a journey? Right?
That's pretty much the gist of it ....

I think it will be much safer if you do not touch anyone at all.

Abdul Qadir
02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HopeFul
Assalamoalaikum, I meet my friends once a week or sometimes twice a week, then I kiss them on thier cheeks, mostly if I meet someone dailt it's only a hello or salam, I must say i dont hvae the habbit of shaking hands...

JazakAllah for sharing this, I never knew this..
I am not sure u can be this stringent on these sorta things...wallahu A'lam...there is no Quranic or hadith evidence which states u cannot kiss Mahram ppl out of love from my knowledge..Wallahua'alam...if Muhammad has kissed someone, then we know its ok...we dun look at it and ask too many questions like how the jews asked about the cow...everything is based on our intentions..as long as its not a bid'ah...if everytime u kiss ur brother and say "allahumma salli 'ala Muhammad" then thats not right...if what i have said is right, its from Allah..if what i had said is wrong, its from Shaitan...

cat eyes
02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
oh my gosh my friend kisses me is it haraam? hell nearly all my friends do

are u sure this fatwa is correct :X

'Abd-al Latif
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
oh my gosh my friend kisses me is it haraam? hell nearly all my friends do

are u sure this fatwa is correct :X
Of course it is, the hadeeth prohibiting it are mentioned.

Al-Tirmidhi narrated (2728) that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said: O Messenger of Allaah, when one of us meets his brother or his friend, should he bow to him? He said: No. He said: Should he embrace him and kiss him? He said: No. He said: Should he take his hand and shake hands with him? He said: Yes. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

Once Allah and His messenger have issued a matter a believer should have no opinion or say after it. [Qur'an]

Danah
02-23-2010, 04:17 PM
In many countries its part of the culture there that women embrace kisses each other. I found it weird to do this daily though...but for someone I don't see for a month or so I will show the happiness of meeting her again by embracing and kissing her.

Above all, if there is an evil intent behind such act its better to avoid it all.

Binyamine
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
What about man kissing man???

See the Arab head of State????

cat eyes
02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Of course it is, the hadeeth prohibiting it are mentioned.

Al-Tirmidhi narrated (2728) that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said: O Messenger of Allaah, when one of us meets his brother or his friend, should he bow to him? He said: No. He said: Should he embrace him and kiss him? He said: No. He said: Should he take his hand and shake hands with him? He said: Yes. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

Once Allah and His messenger have issued a matter a believer should have no opinion or say after it. [Qur'an]
i dont know a scholar might interpret this hadith completely different. first of all there was no clear mention of women in this hadith because a man was asking the question. to be honest this is the first time i ever heard that women cant kiss each other on the cheek when i constantly see sisters doing it all the time then how is this?

So lets get our interpretations correct first before giving any fatwas on it i think.

JazakAllah

'Abd-al Latif
02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i dont know a scholar might interpret this hadith completely different. first of all there was no clear mention of women in this hadith because a man was asking the question. to be honest this is the first time i ever heard that women cant kiss each other on the cheek when i constantly see sisters doing it all the time then how is this?

So lets get our interpretations correct first before giving any fatwas on it i think.

JazakAllah
Many times in al-Qur'aan Allah addresses the men but does this exclude women? No it does not because it implies men and women both. Unless something is specifically mentioned for women then the ruling may be different such as after divorce a woman has to observe the prescribed waiting period, or during menses she cannot pray or offer certain acts of worship. This is not applicable to men. Similarly jihad is not obligatory upon women, nor is the friday jumu'ah prayer but it is upon men.

Secondly the majority is not proof that something is correct. The vast majority of people around the world, which include Muslims, commit major sins like adultery and gambling but does that justify its acceptability in Islam? Many women also know not to gossip and backbite but they still do it, does that mean Islam approves of it just because majority of women do it? It's highly likely that most women have made this a practice among themselves out of ignorance.

It does not matter if you hear a hadeeth now or when you are on your death bed at the age of 110, the fact of the matter is that once a hadeeth has come to you it is obligatory upon you to follow it. if you did not hear of it before than you've heard of it now. There is no ambiguity or uncertainty in this hadeeth so I don't see any dire need for an interpretation when the meaning is simple and clear. There are of course exceptions when one is allowed to hug and kiss someone but it is clearly prohibited to do it as a regular practice. This is why the title is addressed to women because they have made it a custom and a common practice despite its prohibition.

Musliman
02-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I always notice that girls kiss more than guys ? I do not understand , everyone should do the same. If boys shake hands generally, the same should be done with girls, no discrimination and everyone should be treated equally, so for girls, I agree with this text.

However, I should add that Allah said that "Innama al a3malou binniat" which means that if we have no bad intention our deeds wouldn't matter, as kissing becomes simply a respectful, friendly and cheerful way to say hello.

'Abd-al Latif
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musliman
I always notice that girls kiss more than guys ? I do not understand , everyone should do the same. If boys shake hands generally, the same should be done with girls, no discrimination and everyone should be treated equally, so for girls, I agree with this text.

However, I should add that Allah said that "Innama al a3malou binniat" which means that if we have no bad intention our deeds wouldn't matter, as kissing becomes simply a respectful, friendly and cheerful way to say hello.
How can you justify something that the Prophet :saws1: has forbidden by good intentions?

Musliman
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
How can you justify something that the Prophet :saws1: has forbidden by good intentions?
Could you just assure me the authenticity of this hadith ? I don't kiss myself anyone and I do it rarely, still, I do not find a justifiable reason not to do so, as I said again, it deals with your feelings and intentions, it happens to me to kiss a friend of mom for example who is older than me and is respectable for the first time, I don't see the problem with it, and I don't think that Allah will judge me for this. :embarrass

'Abd-al Latif
02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Could you just assure me the authenticity of this hadith ? I don't kiss myself anyone and I do it rarely, still, I do not find a justifiable reason not to do so, as I said again, it deals with your feelings and intentions, it happens to me to kiss a friend of mom for example who is older than me and is respectable for the first time, I don't see the problem with it, and I don't think that Allah will judge me for this. :embarrass
The hadeeth is in Tirmidhi and ibn Maajah and the website that I quoted this from is by Shaylh Saalid Al-Munajjid, the student of Shaykh AbdulAzeez Ibn Baaz.

If a hadeeth has come to you and you ignore it, it will add to your accountability on the day of judgment.

Musliman
02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
The hadeeth is in Tirmidhi and ibn Maajah and the website that I quoted this from is by Shaylh Saalid Al-Munajjid, the student of Shaykh AbdulAzeez Ibn Baaz.

If a hadeeth has come to you and you ignore it, it will add to your accountability on the day of judgment.
Of course, Jazakallah :)

Abdul Qadir
02-24-2010, 04:27 AM
i won't doubt the chain of that hadith coz Sheikh Albaani has classified it as hasan....so now i know...jazakullahu khair for the brother who pointed out that hadith...

cat eyes
02-24-2010, 12:43 PM

:sl:
There is nothing wrong with asking about the authenticity of a certain hadith brother or asking for another scholarly view on it. where dose Allah say you will be held accountable for this?

its better to ask innit then finding out later that its a weak hadith :)

as i said many women do it and if thats the case half the world is sinning? reason why so many other members are questioning it here

and no you can not just read any hadith yourself.. you must read the interpretation on it from a scholars view the same goes for the holy Qur'an, you need the tafsir to understand the surah's.

you are saying that people should make there own conclusions on hadith evidence.. which is wrong advice to give to anybody muslim or non muslim

i will be looking in to more info on this hadith to make sure. :wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.