/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How does your garden grow?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Here is my sweet paprika:

Few fruits changed almost black and then to red, most of them are still green.
What variety is that one?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
08-23-2017, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
What variety is that one?
I have no idea. I bought this plant from open garden market and seller said it´s "a sweet paprika".

Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 04:05 PM
I have no idea. I bought this plant from open garden market and seller said it´s "a sweet paprika".
Useless shops..they never think of people like us who wants to harvest their own crops XD...of course telling is losing profit ;D

sister herb
08-23-2017, 04:17 PM
As I have noticed, many gardening people here don´t care what variety of plants they have. One my workmate told she has hers own garden and she grows tomatoes there. So I asked what varieties she has. She answered: "Erm... just tomatoes."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 04:41 PM
As I have noticed, many gardening people here don´t care what variety of plants they have. One my workmate told she has hers own garden and she grows tomatoes there. So I asked what varieties she has. She answered: "Erm... just tomatoes."
This no offense, is when people don't understand gardening i guess. When somebody would ask me what variety, i assume they know one or two things about tomatoes to begin with. Which means they maybe are interested to try a certain variety tomatoes because of the distinct taste or so. I haven't been a gardener for even 1 years, but these things are just logical to think about.

My guess is you yourself sister herb haven't tried all the tomato varieties out there. However you at least have 1 variety that you keep sowing each year..which is i guess the money maker. However if you would experiment with other tomato varieties besides the money maker and come to experience a variety that is that a bit more larger, more tastier, more harvest and can withstand diseases better. There is a big chance you would replace the money maker with that one.

Maybe i am wrong to assume such a thing as i am planning to do that. As i already said in one of my previous comments that i am not planning to sow the little cucumber anymore. Too much for to little. In the end i would be having.

Also about knowing your pepper variety i was maybe planning to buy also those seeds and have that pepper variety also grafted on the bell pepper tree. With less space but a tree that gives you 4 types of peppers.. (little space x (2 trees grafted with 4 pepper varieties) = (more satisfaction + more experience)

sister herb
08-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Yep, I like money maker but I have few others too. I have gardened already about 30 years but actually, this is just only the 4th year I grow tomatoes and I know there are hundreds of different varieties. Every year I try to find something new to my garden. It may be a tomato or herb or something else.

Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Yep, I like money maker but I have few others too. I have gardened already about 30 years but actually, this is just only the 4th year I grow tomatoes and I know there are hundreds of different varieties. Every year I try to find something new to my garden. It may be a tomato or herb or something else.
Today i give myself the permission to say that you are WEIRD.

HOW ON EARTH HAVE have you been able to grow all kind of things..but not tomatoes. I'm sorry but you have put yourself in the category of weird and totally crazy. A garden without tomatoes is not a garden..it is just some ground with weeds ;D;D

sister herb
08-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Before my mom had tomatoes but in most of years harvest wasn´t good. Too cold climate for them. This is climate of carrots and potatoes.

Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Before my mom had tomatoes but in most of years harvest wasn´t good. Too cold climate for them. This is climate of carrots and potatoes.
I have on youtube seen people talk about some tomato varieties that can cope the cold.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/cool-toler...varieties.html

I already have some varieties, but i don't think those varieties can tolerate cold. This year was not that much harvest, but next year in'sha'Allah if i have decided how much soil/space the roots need, then the year next to that, i am planning to also experiment with varieties that can tolerate less heat.

sister herb
08-23-2017, 05:33 PM
I would need varieties which are resistant against grey mold. It´s common disease here specially during the summers like this one (cold and rainy). I have already learnt that 100s&1000s tomato is quite good with that but it´s fruits are so tiny.

Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 06:22 PM
I would need varieties which are resistant against grey mold. It´s common disease here specially during the summers like this one (cold and rainy). I have already learnt that 100s&1000s tomato is quite good with that but it´s fruits are so tiny.
Aren't the F1 hybrid varieties against all kind of diseases? As far as i have heard is the F1 hybrid varieties especially made against diseases etc.

sister herb
08-23-2017, 07:14 PM
I need to try them at the next year.

sister herb
08-24-2017, 12:53 PM
100s&1000s tomatoes:

Rucola:

Beans:

Carrots:

Lemon basil:

noraina
08-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Here is my sweet paprika:

Few fruits changed almost black and then to red, most of them are still green.
Love paprika! It's colour, it's smoky taste.

In noodles it is just divine....

- - - Updated - - -

100s&1000s tomatoes:

Rucola:

Beans:

Carrots:

Lemon basil:

Yummy :statisfie.

Tomatoes, lemon basil, carrots, beans....

I'm coming sister rose herb :D.

sister herb
08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Like the little suns - English marigolds:

sister herb
08-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Of my mind it has slightly sour flavor, with some sweetness. But I think it´s personal how we taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is one of the biggest marmandes, I took it indoors at yesterday:

A handful of tomato. Hopely it will ripe too.
Now this big beauty is finally red:

sister herb
09-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Giant pumpkin:

Harvesting carrots:

sister herb
09-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Pumpkin harvest:

sister herb
09-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Sunflowers have started to open:

They are very late at this year.

Simple_Person
09-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Sunflowers have started to open:

They are very late at this year.
Have you planted them for the sake of beauty or to get sunflower seeds (snacks..).

BTW, how was this season to your garden? warm? wet? cold? Because where i live we had acceptable temperatures but not a lot of sun, especially in august. It was very cloudy. Almost whole September A LOT of rain. I am glad about this season being not too good for the plants as i have learned a lot from it, so next season in'sha'Allah, i will start them way sooner. This way they can develop better and when early summer starts already starts producing. If next august/september will be the same as this years, then at least have more harvest. If those months are better than i will only benefit from even more harvest in'sha'Allah.

sister herb
09-24-2017, 03:11 PM
I have only few sunflowers at this year so they are there to for the sake of beauty and their seeds I will leave for the birds.

Summer was late, cold and rainy so not very good for the gardening but some plants grew well any ways like peas and carrots. Tomatoes gave about 7 kg totally and that´s not bad at all. Few pumpkins, more zucchinis than I needed and few shark fin melons too. Not bad harvest but I still wish warmer summer at the next year. And herbs - I got a lot of herbs. Chilis too seems to give a good harvest.

Now it´s a time to clean the garden and then start to make new plans for the next season.

sister herb
09-25-2017, 04:22 PM
This is like me:

Simple_Person
09-26-2017, 01:24 PM
So logically speaking and looking from a smart-perspective, it is best to also plant certain vegetables/fruits that can handle more mild-summers. So WHATEVER happens in the sense of warmth or even wet seasons, you will EITHER way get a good harvest. As you referred to peas and carrots. It does make sense and even if other plants fail so to say, others will thrive. ..which has the outcome of a confirmation and always a joyful season of vegetable/fruits harvest.

Good perspective. Btw, do also the carrots have a totally different taste compared to the ones you buy at the store?

sister herb
09-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Yep, they are totally different. Already at the point when I pull a carrot out from the ground, I can smell the strong and fresh fragrance of carrots. Such odore you can´t sense when you use carrots from the store.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.