/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do people come to Islam?

john316
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
In my study of your religion, I would like to know in general how and why do people come to islam? and what makes islam different from the rest?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
05-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Thread Approved

Check out www.beconvinced.com :)

:peace:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Umm I think the main reason is the uniqueness of Allah. His Oneness. He is unlike his creation. Having any partners or a "son" is below his Majesty.

YusufNoor
05-24-2008, 02:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by john316
In my study of your religion, I would like to know in general how and why do people come to islam? and what makes islam different from the rest?
Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

i'm sure you've seen some of my posts, john316. i reverted to Islam a wee bit over 2 years ago. i was raised Catholic, and that affects my world view on religion.

but first how do people come to Islam, "they testify that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad[pbuh] is the Messenger of Allah, in Arabic: La Illaha Ilah Allah, Muhammadur Rasoolullah in front of 2 Muslim witnesses.

Christians come to Islam, either because they can't quite accept the trinity 4. concept or for remarkable understanding of Tawheed [the Oneness of Allah[SWT]. in Islam, God [Allah(SWT)] is without equal and without mistake. in other religions, it appears as if God made some kind of mistake and Satan "ruined God's work/world" or injected some "unforseen flaw" into the universe and now it has to be "fixed."

In Islam we believe that God [Allah(SWT)] is more powerful than that and that all events that are unfolding just as God [Allah(SWT)] knew EXACTLY how ALL events would unfold. we even have a Surah [Chapter] in the Qur'an that informs us about God [Allah(SWT)]. it's one of the last Surahs and has the title of Ikhlas, or Sincerity in English:

Auuthu Billahi MinaShatanir Rajim [i seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Shaytan]

Bismillah-ir Rahman-ir Rajim [in the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficient, the most Merciful]

we repeat the above whenever we start to read the Qur'an

1. Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad [Say, He is Allah, the One]

2. Allahu Samad [Allah the Eternal, whom all depend upon and He depends upon none]

3. Lam Yalid waLam Yulad [He begets not nor is He begotten]

4. WaLam Yaku Lahu Kufuan Ahad [and none is coequal or comparable to Him]

for a great many people, those words are of great solace and make absolute sense. this brings many, many people to Islam.

hope that helps a little.

:w: [with Peace]

Yusuf

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Huma*
05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
A simple look at the world around us is all it takes to understand the attraction why Islam has became a fast-growing religion today. The details of this awesome universe we live in explicitly prove the presence of a magnificent and unequalled author.

The foundation of the Islamic faith is belief in the Unity of God, Truly believing in the Unity of God means much more than simply believing that there is "One God" -(ALLAH) as opposed to two, three or four. Islaam not only insists on this, but also rejects using such words as "Lord" and "Saviour" for anyone besides Almighty God. Islaam also rejects the use of all intermediaries between God and Man, and insists that people approach God directly and reserve all worship for Him alone.

The essence of falsehood is the claim that God cannot deal with and forgive his creatures directly. In Islaam, there is a clear distinction between the Creator and the created. There is no ambiguity in divinity - anything that is created is not deserving of worship and only the Creator is worthy of being worshipped.

Islam invites us to believe that God is unique and beyond comprehension - He has no "Son", partners or associates. Almighty God "does not beget nor was He begotten" - neither literally, allegorically, metaphorically, physically or metaphysically - He is absolutely Unique and Eternal. He is in control of everything and is perfectly capable of bestowing His infinite Mercy and Forgiveness to whomever He chooses. That is why is called the All-Powerful and Most-Merciful. Almighty God has created the Universe for man, and as such wants the best for all human beings. Muslims see everything in the Universe as a sign of the Creatorship and Benevolence of Almighty God. Also, the belief in the Unity of God is not merely a metaphysical concept. It is a dynamic belief that effects ones view of humanity, society and all aspects of life. Thats the Beauty of Islam. :)

Some try to deny His existence, relying on their invented theories, and guesses. They conjure principles that no rational mind can follow. For xample, they say that our universe is a "cosmic coincidence," a result of billions of years of random self-assembly. However, if they would come out of their house in the morning and find a new car in their driveway, they would demand to know who put it there. Imagine if was said to them: "No one put it there, in fact the parts just gathered from unknown places and assembled themselves overnight with no one's help. This is the result of a cosmic coicindence!" No one in his right mind could accept this answer. Indeed GOD gave us intellects that do not allow us to believe such nonsense.
So if people can not accept the parts of a single car coming together randomly, then how can they believe that the entire universe accomplished such a feat?!

From the sky full of stars and other visual wonders, to microscopic organisms we are still discovering, to the design and function of the organs of the human body can one possibly believe that all of this is the result of a mere coincidence?

Look up and think about how everything you see is organized in such a perfect way!

What you choose to believe before you die will determine what God does with your soul and spirit after you die.

john316
05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
hmm pretty interesting. I need more testimonies.

Umar001
05-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Well I chose to do a study from an outsider point of view, I was going to start with my religion at the time, which was Christianity. It also so happened that not to long after this I came into contact with Muslims, which made me question religion.

I wondered, although I believe in Christianity, is this because I was born into that enviroment. Of course I felt the conviction of Christianity, I wasn't a Christian solely due to my upbringing, I did believe in Jesus and so forth, but I wondered, what if I was born into a hindu/muslim/jewish family, what would have happend.

From this I started to search for God, I still believed in Christiantiy, but I also believed that God would not send people to hell without having first given them guidance, so I assumed the position of a baby, I believed in God and wondered, let me test religions and see which one is right, for how could God punish poeple for not following His Religion if His Religion does not clearly stand out from the rest.

So I started with basic assumptions;

1.Belief that there is a God.
2.Belief that if this God communicates with us humans and wanted us to follow a religion he would be Just.

From this various branches stemmed, requirements of a religion in order to be from God. This may seem to some as though I was putting my mind before God, but I was not, I always had ingrained in me 'lean not on your own understanding'. What I did though was accept that if God gave a revelation I should follow it, but I will need to lean on God's guidance and his gift of reason in order to first find that revelation, meaning, I would never argue with God's word, but I may argue whether something is not God's word, like a Christian follows God, but he argues that the Qur'an is God's word.

So I started my journey and ended up at Islam.

aamirsaab
05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
:sl:
They come to Islam because it's the most freakin awesomest religion ever.

Not really. It's different depending on the person. I know of some reverts who have done it because of the glorious words of the Quran; others because of the modesty contained in the actions.

medlink student
05-24-2008, 10:54 PM
salamz :) (its me again lol)
because its a way of life ...

look at vids of reverts to islam on youtube.com
that might help :) good luck

:w:

john316
05-25-2008, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

i'm sure you've seen some of my posts, john316. i reverted to Islam a wee bit over 2 years ago. i was raised Catholic, and that affects my world view on religion.

but first how do people come to Islam, "they testify that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad[pbuh] is the Messenger of Allah, in Arabic: La Illaha Ilah Allah, Muhammadur Rasoolullah in front of 2 Muslim witnesses.

Christians come to Islam, either because they can't quite accept the trinity 4. concept or for remarkable understanding of Tawheed [the Oneness of Allah[SWT]. in Islam, God [Allah(SWT)] is without equal and without mistake. in other religions, it appears as if God made some kind of mistake and Satan "ruined God's work/world" or injected some "unforseen flaw" into the universe and now it has to be "fixed."

In Islam we believe that God [Allah(SWT)] is more powerful than that and that all events that are unfolding just as God [Allah(SWT)] knew EXACTLY how ALL events would unfold. we even have a Surah [Chapter] in the Qur'an that informs us about God [Allah(SWT)]. it's one of the last Surahs and has the title of Ikhlas, or Sincerity in English:

Auuthu Billahi MinaShatanir Rajim [i seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Shaytan]

Bismillah-ir Rahman-ir Rajim [in the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficient, the most Merciful]

we repeat the above whenever we start to read the Qur'an

1. Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad [Say, He is Allah, the One]

2. Allahu Samad [Allah the Eternal, whom all depend upon and He depends upon none]

3. Lam Yalid waLam Yulad [He begets not nor is He begotten]

4. WaLam Yaku Lahu Kufuan Ahad [and none is coequal or comparable to Him]

for a great many people, those words are of great solace and make absolute sense. this brings many, many people to Islam.

hope that helps a little.

:w: [with Peace]

Yusuf

I was Catholic too :)

medlink student
05-25-2008, 06:53 AM
:sl::)
Allah's Promise to the Believers that He would grant them Succession

This is a promise from Allah to His Messenger that He would cause his Ummah to become successors on earth, i.e., they would become the leaders and rulers of mankind, through whom He would reform the world and to whom people would submit, so that they would have in exchange a safe security after their fear. This is what Allah did indeed do, may He be glorified and exalted, and to Him be praise and blessings. For He did not cause His Messenger to die until He had given him victory over Makkah, Khaybar, Bahrayn, all of the Arabian Peninsula and Yemen; and he took Jizyah from the Zoroastrians of Hajar and from some of the border lands of Syria; and he exchanged gifts with Heraclius the ruler of Byzantium, the ruler of Egypt and Alexandria, the Muqawqis, the kings of Oman and An-Najashi of Abyssinia, who had become king after Ashamah, may Allah have mercy on him and grant him honor. Then when the Messenger died, his successor (Khalifah) Abu Bakr As-Siddiq took over the reins of power and united the Ummah, preventing its disintegration. He took control of the entire Arabian Peninsula, and he sent the Islamic armies to the land of Persia, under the leadership of Khalid bin Al-Walid, may Allah be pleased with him, who conquered a part of it and killed some of its people. He sent another army under the leadership of Abu `Ubaydah, may Allah be pleased with him, and the other commanders who came after him in the lands of Syria. He sent a third army under the leadership of `Amr bin Al-`As, may Allah be pleased with him, to Egypt. Allah enabled the army sent to Syria to conquer Busra and Damascus and their provinces the land of Hawran and its environs. Then Allah chose for Abu Bakr to honor him with Him and he died. The people of Islam were blessed that As-Siddiq was inspired to appoint `Umar Al-Faruq as his successor, so he took the reins of power after him and did a perfect job. After the Prophets, the world never saw anyone like `Umar in excellence of conduct and perfect justice. During his time, the rest of Syria and Egypt, and most of Persia, was conquered. Kisra was defeated and utterly humiliated, and he retreated to the furthest point of his kingdom. Mighty Caesar was brought low, his rule over Syria was overthrown, and he retreated to Constantinople. Their wealth was spent for the sake of Allah, as the Messenger of Allah had foretold and promised. May Allah's perfect peace and purest blessing be upon him. During the rule of `Uthman, the Islamic domains spread to the furthest points of the earth, east and west. The lands of the west were conquered as far as Cyprus and Andalusia, Kairouan and Sebta which adjoins the Atlantic Ocean. Towards the east, the conquests extended as far as China. Kisra was killed, his kingdom was utterly destroyed and the cities of Iraq, Khurasan and Al-Ahwaz were conquered. The Muslims killed a great number of Turks and Allah humiliated their great king Khaqan. Taxes were collected from the east and the west, and brought to the Commander of the faithful `Uthman bin `Affan, may Allah be pleased with him. This was a blessing brought by his recitation and study of the Qur'an, and his bringing the Ummah together to preserve and protect it. In the Sahih it was recorded that the Messenger of Allah said:

«إِنَّ اللهَ زَوَى لِيَ الْأَرْضَ فَرَأَيْتُ مَشَارِقَهَا وَمَغَارِبَهَا، وَسَيَبْلُغُ مُلْكُ أُمَّتِي مَا زُوِيَ لِي مِنْهَا»

(Allah showed me the earth and I looked at the east and the west. The dominion of my Ummah will reach everywhere I was shown.) And now we are enjoying that which Allah and His Messenger promised us, for Allah and His Messenger spoke the truth. We ask Allah to give us faith in Him and His Messenger, and to help us to give thanks to Him in a manner that will earn us His pleasure.

﴿وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ ءامَنُواْ مِنْكُمْ وَعَمِلُواْ الصَّـلِحَاتِ لَيَسْتَخْلِفَنَّهُمْ فِى الاْرْضِ كَمَا اسْتَخْلَفَ الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِهِمْ وَلَيُمَكّنَنَّ لَهُمْ دِينَهُمُ الَّذِى ارْتَضَى لَهُمْ وَلَيُبَدّلَنَّهُمْ مّن بَعْدِ خَوْفِهِمْ أَمْناً﴾

(Allah has promised those among you who believe and do righteous good deeds, that He will certainly grant them succession in the land, as He granted it to those before them, and that He will grant them the authority to practise their religion which He has chosen for them. And He will surely, give them in exchange a safe security after their fear...) Ar-Rabi` bin Anas narrated that Abu Al-`Aliyah said, "The Prophet and his Companions were in Makkah for nearly ten years, calling people in secret to worship Allah Alone with no partner or associate. They were in a state of fear and were not instructed to fight until after they were commanded to migrate to Al-Madinah. When they came to Al-Madinah, then Allah instructed them to fight. In Al-Madinah they were afraid and they carried their weapons morning and evening. This is how they remained for as long as Allah willed...'' Then Allah revealed this Ayah. He caused His Prophet to prevail over the Arabian Peninsula, and then they felt safe and put down their weapons. Then Allah took His Prophet and they remained safe throughout the time of Abu Bakr, `Umar and `Uthman, until what happened happened, and fear again prevailed over them, so they instituted a police force and guards. They changed, so their situation changed. One of the Salaf said, "The Khilafah of Abu Bakr and `Umar was true and adhered to the Book of Allah. Then he recited this Ayah.'' Al-Bara' bin `Azib said, "This Ayah was revealed when we were in a state of extreme fear.'' This Ayah is like the Ayah:

﴿وَاذْكُرُواْ إِذْ أَنتُمْ قَلِيلٌ مُّسْتَضْعَفُونَ فِى الاٌّرْضِ﴾

(And remember when you were few and were reckoned weak in the land) Until His statement:

﴿لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ﴾

(so that you might be grateful) ﴿8:26﴾.

﴿كَمَا اسْتَخْلَفَ الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِهِمْ﴾

(as He granted succession to those before them,) This is like the Ayah where Allah tells us that Musa said to his people:

﴿عَسَى رَبُّكُمْ أَن يُهْلِكَ عَدُوَّكُمْ وَيَسْتَخْلِفَكُمْ فِى الاٌّرْضِ﴾

("It may be that your Lord will destroy your enemy and make you successors on the earth...'') ﴿7:129﴾ And Allah says:

﴿وَنُرِيدُ أَن نَّمُنَّ عَلَى الَّذِينَ اسْتُضْعِفُواْ فِى الاٌّرْضِ﴾

(And We wished to do a favor to those who were weak in the land,) until the two Ayat there after. ﴿28: 5-6﴾

﴿وَلَيُمَكِّنَنَّ لَهُمْ دِينَهُمُ الَّذِى ارْتَضَى لَهُمْ﴾

(and that He will grant them the authority to practise their religion which He has chosen for them...) vAs the Messenger of Allah said to `Adiyy bin Hatim when he came to him in a delegation:

«أَتَعْرِفُ الْحِيرَةَ؟»

(Do you know Al-Hirah) He said, "I do not know it, but I have heard of it.'' The Messenger of Allah said:

«فَوَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ لَيُتِمَّنَّ اللهُ هَذَا الْأَمْرَ حَتَّى تَخْرُجَ الظَّعِينَةُ مِنَ الْحِيرَةِ حَتَّى تَطُوفَ بِالْبَيْتِ فِي غَيْرِ جِوَارِ أَحَدٍ، وَلَتَفْتَحُنَّ كُنُوزَ كِسْرَى بْنِ هُرْمُزَ»

(By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, Allah will make this matter ﴿i.e., Islam﴾ prevail until a woman riding a camel will come from Al-Hirah and perform Tawaf around the House without needing the protection of anybody, and the treasures of Kisra the son of Hurmuz will be opened.) He said, "Kisra the son of Hurmuz'' He said,

«نَعَمْ، كِسْرَى بْنُ هُرْمُزَ، وَلَيُبْذَلَنَّ الْمَالُ حَتَّى لَا يَقْبَلَهُ أَحَدٌ»

(Yes, Kisra the son of Hurmuz, and wealth will be given until there will be no one who will accept it.) `Adiyy bin Hatim said: "Now it is happening that a woman riding a camel comes from Al-Hirah and performs Tawaf around the House without needing the protection of anybody, and I was among those who opened the treasure of Kisra the son of Hurmuz. By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, the third thing will also come to pass, because the Messenger of Allah said it.''

﴿يَعْبُدُونَنِى لاَ يُشْرِكُونَ بِى شَيْئاً﴾

(if they worship Me and do not associate anything with Me.) Imam Ahmad recorded from Anas that Mu`adh bin Jabal told him, "While I was riding behind the Prophet on a donkey, with nothing between me and him but the back of his saddle, he said,

«يَا مُعَاذُ بْنَ جَبَلٍ»

(O Mu`adh bin Jabal.) I said, `Here I am at your service, O Messenger of Allah.' Then a while passed, then he said,

(O Mu`adh bin Jabal.) I said, `Here I am at your service, O Messenger of Allah.' Then a while passed, then he said,

(O Mu`adh bin Jabal.) I said, `Here I am at your service, O Messenger of Allah.' He said,

«هَلْ تَدْرِي مَا حَقُّ اللهِ عَلَى الْعِبَادِ؟»

(Do you know the rights that Allah has over His servants) I said, `Allah and His Messenger know best.' He said,

«فَإِنَّ حَقَّ اللهِ عَلَى الْعِبَادِ أَنْ يَعْبُدُوهُ وَلَا يُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْئًا»

(The rights that Allah has over His servants are that they should worship Him and not associate anything with Him.) Then a while passed, then he said,

(O Mu`adh bin Jabal.) I said, `Here I am at your service, O Messenger of Allah.' He said,

«فَهَلْ تَدْرِي مَا حَقُّ الْعِبَادِ عَلَى اللهِ إِذَا فَعَلُوا ذَلِكَ؟»

(Do you know the rights that people have over Allah if they do that) I said, `Allah and His Messenger know best.' He said,

«فَإِنَّ حَقَّ الْعِبَادِ عَلَى اللهِ أَنْ لَا يُعَذِّبَهُمْ»

(The rights that people have over Allah is that He will not punish them.)'' This was also recorded in the Two Sahihs.

﴿وَمَن كَفَرَ بَعْدَ ذلِكَ فَأُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الْفَـسِقُونَ﴾

(But whoever disbelieved after this, they are the rebellious.) means, `whoever then stops obeying Me after that, has stopped obeying the command of his Lord, and that is a great sin.' The Companions -- may Allah be pleased with them -- were the most committed of people after the Prophet to the commands of Allah and the most obedient to Allah. Their victories were in accordance with their level of commitment. They caused the Word of Allah to prevail in the east and the west, and Allah supported them so much that they governed all the people and all the lands. When the people subsequently fell short in their commitment to some of the commandments, their strength and victory fell short accordingly, but it is confirmed through more than one route in the Two Sahihs that the Messenger of Allah said:

«لَا تَزَالُ طَائِفَةٌ مِنْ أُمَّتِي ظَاهِرِينَ عَلَى الْحَقِّ، لَا يَضُرُّهُمْ مَنْ خَذَلَهُمْ وَلَا مَنْ خَالَفَهُمْ إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ»

(There will remain a group of my Ummah adhering to the truth, and those who forsake them or oppose them will not harm them until the Day of Resurrection. ) According to another report:

«حَتَّى يَأْتِيَ أَمْرُ اللهِ وَهُمْ كَذَلِكَ»

(.. until the command of Allah comes to pass and they are like that.) According to another report:

«حَتَّى يُقَاتِلُوا الدَّجَّالَ»

(... until they fight the Dajjal.) According to another report:

«حَتَّى يَنْزِلَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ وَهُمْ ظَاهِرُونَ»

(... until `Isa bin Maryam comes down and they are prevailing.) All of these reports are Sahih, and there is no contradiction between them.

﴿وَأَقِيمُواْ الصَّـلَوةَ وَآتُواْ الزَّكَـوةَ وَأَطِيعُواْ الرَّسُولَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ - لاَ تَحْسَبَنَّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مُعْجِزِينَ فِى الاٌّرْضِ وَمَأْوَاهُمُ النَّارُ وَلَبِئْسَ الْمَصِيرُ ﴾

(56. And perform the Salah, and give the Zakah and obey the Messenger that you may receive mercy.) (57. Consider not that the disbelievers can escape in the land. Their abode shall be the Fire -- and worst indeed is that destination.)

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...2416&Itemid=79

glo
05-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I have read a fair few reverts' accounts over the years.

It seems to me that one element which seems to attract people to Islam, is the search for clarity and direction.
Certainly the Western world seems to be dominated by a liberalism, which is so open and tolerant that people lose their sense of direction and any sense of what's right and wrong. We live in a world where almost anything and everything seems to be tolerated or even permissible.

I think people, especially young people, look for guidance and answers. Clear answers, not wishy-washy ones ...

And that's what Islam seems to provide ...
In many ways Islam takes away the individuals' responsibility to make moral or ethical decisions for themselves - because they are already decided and dictated by the Qu'ran or the hadiths or past and present Islamic scholars.

In that sense Islam makes life very much easier for its followers.
In other ways, of course, following Islam is very hard, and demands great commitment and perseverance.

This is just my own reflection on reversion stories I have read.
It is merely an observation, and no judgment is intended.
I hope my post does not offend, and I am interested to hear from anybody who disagrees.

Salaam :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.