/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question involving Video Games...

EX_Machina
05-23-2008, 05:13 PM
:sl:

Ok I'm a 16 (Almost 17) year old muslim who plays video games as a hobby. Now me, my brother and 2 of my cousins were going to start a website that would review and give people news about the latest games for various consoles (Similar to websites such as Gamespot. There aren't any such websites that are created by South Africans so we figured it would be a good idea). We figured that we could use our knowledge of video games, our computer and writing skills and do something productive and fun with our time. We were making quite a bit of progress (Although we hadn't released the site to the internet yet) until one day, my older cousin (Aged 22) said that we should stop.

His logic was that video games are something that we should try and spend less of our time on and that they are already under debate as to whether or not they are haraam or halaal. This I agree with. I think that we should try to play less games, but what he said next, I'm still not too sure about. He went on to say that he no longer wants to continue the project because many video games are bad enough as it is and we would be doing wrong by making a website, and thus promoting them. I was quite disappointed as I was enthusiastic about our project and I didn't really see the harm in it.

Ok, while I do feel he is right to some degree and that many video games are bad, I'm not sure what to do. If we made the website, it would be all about reviewing and giving news on games so it would promote them. I'd just like to know if this would be permissible or not. On the one hand, rather than wasting time watching tv or playing games, we're doing something productive and useful, but on the other hand we could be doing wrong.

So the question is: Would it be halaal or haraam to start this website?

Thanks in advance. JazaakAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
05-23-2008, 10:48 PM

Thread Approved

I'd just like to point out that no-one on the forum is able to give a ruling or Fatwaa, which is why it is better to seek help from Scholars Insha'Allah. The best that we can give you is advice.

Also welcome to the forums :)

:w:

------
05-24-2008, 03:41 PM
:salamext:

Sheikh Yusuf Estes: TV, Sports, Video Games: Halal or Haram?

Media Tags are no longer supported

Ali.
05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Video games are a form of entertainment, if they entertain you then go ahead.

But, making a site about them and all could take a lot of your time away - I hear maintaining a site (especially if it gets popular) is a lot of hard work.

However, if you make this site and you're still doing your daily stuff (e.g. praying and not delaying prayer until tomorrow just so you can publish a blog containing all the info' about the hottest game out there) then I think it's fine.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Khayr inshaaAllaah, none of us are qualified to give fatwas out, but inshaAllaah listen to what brother Yusuf Estes has to say on the subject.

Ali.
05-25-2008, 02:52 PM
What's a fatwa?

And yes, that was my advice, not a ruling.

------
05-25-2008, 02:53 PM

^ I know lol, I was referring to the brother in the first post.

Idris
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I think they are a waste of time :)
My view brother.
You could do so much in the time you play games.
I have stop doing this some time ago and have cut down on playing games.
I only play then family come over and there are many family member around.
Only then I put a bit of pro evo on
If I don't they will start running jumping and fighting and soon demolish my beautiful room.

S1aveofA11ah
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EX_Machina

Ok I'm a 16 (Almost 17) year old muslim who plays video games as a hobby. Now me, my brother and 2 of my cousins were going to start a website that would review and give people news about the latest games for various consoles (Similar to websites such as Gamespot. There aren't any such websites that are created by South Africans so we figured it would be a good idea). We figured that we could use our knowledge of video games, our computer and writing skills and do something productive and fun with our time. We were making quite a bit of progress (Although we hadn't released the site to the internet yet) until one day, my older cousin (Aged 22) said that we should stop.

His logic was that video games are something that we should try and spend less of our time on and that they are already under debate as to whether or not they are haraam or halaal. This I agree with. I think that we should try to play less games, but what he said next, I'm still not too sure about. He went on to say that he no longer wants to continue the project because many video games are bad enough as it is and we would be doing wrong by making a website, and thus promoting them. I was quite disappointed as I was enthusiastic about our project and I didn't really see the harm in it.

Ok, while I do feel he is right to some degree and that many video games are bad, I'm not sure what to do. If we made the website, it would be all about reviewing and giving news on games so it would promote them. I'd just like to know if this would be permissible or not. On the one hand, rather than wasting time watching tv or playing games, we're doing something productive and useful, but on the other hand we could be doing wrong.

So the question is: Would it be halaal or haraam to start this website?

Thanks in advance. JazaakAllah

Asalaamualaikum,

I would just give a reminder that everything should be in moderation/balance. A bit of this and a bit of that. Relaxtion mixed with work and worship. From what I know there is nothing wrong with games which have nothing haram in them.

However, I notice some people become sort of addicted to these things a bit like T.V. and the haram easily follows as one is 'swamped' in the activities. I would remind that one should stand back and look at the essential basics - am I doing my prayers properly?, do I spend enough time in other worship?, do I seek ilm and read/study qur'an. If there is no balance and these things are being affected due to not enough time then I would reduce the games and think carefully about making a website centred around them.

^[AnKaBooT]^
06-21-2008, 02:14 PM
regarding ALI's reply,i hav smth to say. u would even stop praying if u cant control ur website if its too popular.READ THIS.

A man who was a friend of rasulullahi sallallahu alaihiwasallam came to the prophet and asked that he wanted a verse which would make him rich by reciting it.at first the prophet said no but he insisted.So he was taught a verse which would enable him to get rich.
First he got a few sheep but as time went by it grew into a big herd.:Dtat time sheep very valuable.:)he couldnt have enough time to tend to growing herd of sheep and he eventually delayed prayer.Then he eventually stopped praying except jummah(friday prayers).Eventually he stopped praying altogether becuz of his growing herd of sheep.This is how a good muslim who pray well stop praying....Insha'Allah u will get the picture here:thumbs_up(if u dont understand.)
:blind::blind:i advise u dont start tat website.u may nt recognise the time passing by and u delayed prayer and its becuz of a website tat is unimportant its nt going to help u in the afterlife:blind::blind:

~*Fatima*~
06-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes I agree With Bro Above. I know How a Site Especially a Site of Discussion & Stuff Require Hard Work And 'Alot' of time. Also If your Opening a Site for Games. There're Game Against Our Beliefs & Since it will be Global Site. You'll have to put all the games. Which means you'll be promoting those Game unintenstionly. Just Entain yourself by playing them. ^w^

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.