/* */

PDA

View Full Version : De Ja Vu

transition?
05-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Lately I've been having a lot of deja vu.

I was wondering if there was anything in Islam, Christianity, and other religions, or maybe even scientific documents that accounts for it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
05-24-2008, 03:48 PM
:salamext:

The only thing I could find was this;

accordng to islam nobody can tell about future. only God knows. but some can tell some thing and it cant be 100% perfect.
any how some hing about Déjà vu. and u decide urself

Déjà vu (already seen) also called paramnesia, from Greek para, "parallel" + "memory") is the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously. The term was coined by a French psychic researcher, Émile Boirac (1851–1917) in his book L'Avenir des sciences psychiques (The Future of Psychic Sciences), which expanded upon an essay he wrote while an undergraduate. The experience of déjà vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity, and also a sense of "eeriness", "strangeness", or "weirdness". The "previous" experience is most frequently attributed to a dream, although in some cases there is a firm sense that the experience "genuinely happened" in the past. Déjà vu has been described as "remembering the future."

The experience of déjà vu seems to be very common; in formal studies 70% of people report having experienced it at least once. References to the experience of déjà vu are also found in literature of the past, indicating it is not a new phenomenon. It has been extremely difficult to invoke the déjà vu experience in laboratory settings, therefore making it a subject of few empirical studies. Recently, researchers have found ways to recreate this sensation using hypnosis.

Scientific research
In recent years, déjà vu has been subjected to serious psychological and neurophysiological research. The most likely explanation of déjà vu is that it is not an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather an anomaly of memory; it is the impression that an experience is "being recalled".[citation needed] See Chris Moulin's work. This explanation is substantiated by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where and how the earlier experience occurred) are quite uncertain. Likewise, as time passes, subjects can exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjà vu itself, but little to no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) they were "remembering" when they had the déjà vu experience. In particular, this may result from an overlap between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory (events which are perceived as being in the present) and those responsible for long-term memory (events which are perceived as being in the past). In other words, the events would be stored into memory before the conscious part of the brain even receives the information and processes it. This would explain why one is, if it ever comes to mind, powerless trying to twist the outcome of the event in order to create a paradox. The delay is only of a few milliseconds, and besides, already happened at the time the conscious of the individual is experiencing it.

Another theory being explored is that of vision. As the theory suggests, one eye may record what is seen fractionally faster than the other, creating that "strong recollection" sensation upon the "same" scene being viewed milliseconds later by the opposite eye. However, this one fails to explain the phenomenon when other sensory inputs are involved, such as the auditive part, and especially the digital part. If one, for instance, experience déjà vu of someone slapping the fingers on his/her left hand, then the déjà vu feeling is certainly not due to his/her right hand to be late on the left one. Also, persons with only one eye still report experiencing déjà vu or déjà vecu. The global phenomenon must therefore be narrowed down to the brain itself (say, one hemisphere would be late compared to the other one).

Considerable strength is added to this interpretation by the fact that computers experience very similar effects when inputs are processed in an unexpected order. This is known as a race condition, and is often responsible for subtle bugs in complex systems.

some think it has link with disorders

A clinical correlation has been found between the experience of déjà vu and disorders such as schizophrenia and anxiety, and the likelihood of the experience considerably increases with subjects having these conditions. However, the strongest pathological association of déjà vu is with temporal lobe epilepsy.This correlation has led some researchers to speculate that the experience of déjà vu is possibly a neurological anomaly related to improper electrical discharge in the brain. As most people suffer a mild (i.e. non-pathological) epileptic episode regularly (e.g. the sudden "jolt", a hypnagogic jerk, that frequently occurs just prior to falling asleep), it is conjectured that a similar (mild) neurological aberration occurs in the experience of déjà vu, resulting in an erroneous sensation of memory

It has been reported that certain recreational drugs increase the chances of déjà vu occurring in the user. Some pharmaceutical drugs, when taken together, have also been implicated in the cause of déjà vu. Taiminen and Jääskeläinen (2001) reported the case of an otherwise healthy male who started experiencing intense and recurrent sensations of déjà vu on taking the drugs amantadine and phenylpropanolamine together to relieve flu symptoms. He found the experience so interesting that he completed the full course of his treatment and reported it to the psychologists to write-up as a case study. Due to the dopaminergic action of the drugs and previous findings from electrode stimulation of the brain (e.g. Bancaud, Brunet-Bourgin, Chauvel, & Halgren, 1994), Taiminen and Jääskeläinen speculate that déjà vu occurs as a result of hyperdopaminergic action in the mesial temporal areas of the brain.
Source

transition?
05-24-2008, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

The only thing I could find was this;
Thank you :D

Mikayeel
05-24-2008, 04:03 PM
:sl:

I also have lots of deja vu, to much for my own likein:)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-24-2008, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
Lately I've been having a lot of deja vu.

I was wondering if there was anything in Islam, Christianity, and other religions, or maybe even scientific documents that accounts for it.
there are many reasons and explanations. The most common occurances have a very physical reason. The time of most experiences are when a person enters into the late teen years. During this time the neural connections are completed between the two henispheres of the brain and the person is in the process of developing bi-carmal thought.

Many things are combining, as previous experiences become finalized and new information is being reprocessed into bicarmel thought rather then the uni hemisphere thinking, we previously used. We often see new happenings as having occured before. An analogy would be to use math. We learn 2 + 2 = 4 but now that we have bicarmel thought we can see that 3 + 1 = 4 so when we experience 3+1 we see it and feel it as the same experience as having seen 2+2.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I've had days like that too. Not a lot, but a few.

Keltoi
05-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Personally I tend to believe I've seen things happen before in dreams and then have the deja vu feeling because of that. Science has no explanation, besides the one Woodrow proposed, but a little mystery in life is a good thing right?

wildkat
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
lol I get that feeling all the time too!!
my cousin has never had a deja vu before n she thinks I'm a right weirdo!

Al-Zaara
05-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I personally experience jamais vu more often than deja vu. lol

transition?
05-31-2008, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I personally experience jamais vu more often than deja vu. lol
Lol what's jamais vu?

Al-Zaara
05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
Lol what's jamais vu?
jamais vu

Jamais vu is the contrary of déjà vu. In jamais vu, an experience feels like it's the first time, even though the experience is a familiar one. Jamais vu occurs in certain types of amnesia and epilepsy. (source)

"It's the opposite of deja vu. Instead of feeling extra familiar, things seem totally unfamiliar. In this case there is too little connection between long-term memory and perceptions from the present. When a person is in this state, nothing they experience seems to have anything to do with the past. They might be talking to a person they know well and suddenly they person seems totally unfamiliar. Their sense of knowing the person, and knowing how to relate to them simply vanishes. A room in which they spend a lot of time suddenly becomes totally novel; everything seems new. Details they will have seen a thousand times suddenly become engaging."

--from "Deja Vu in Spiritual and Scientific Views," source:

------
05-31-2008, 04:22 PM

^ Lol sis, killed it....

Allaahu Aalim... is the answer. :D

Al-Zaara
05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

^ Lol sis, killed it....

Allaahu Aalim... is the answer. :D
Aleykum selam we rahmetallahu we berekathu,

What did I kill? :? I just explained what the word meant.

------
05-31-2008, 04:26 PM

I meant you took the thread away from the purpose of it...never mind, ignore me >.<

Muezzin
06-06-2008, 08:07 AM
If Deja Vu really were a supernatural occurence, as opposed to your mind making unpredictable connections, I would have used it in every exam I have ever sat.

Kas1m
06-16-2008, 07:15 AM
I used to have a lot of them but they stopped

maj232
06-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry for going of topic, but does anyone ever get the feeling all of a sudden that they are an actual being and they exist in the world, when you always knew that, but it suddenly strikes you and surprises you for a while. Can someone tell me what its called ? and has anyone ever experienced this or am i the only one.

Fishman
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maj232
Sorry for going of topic, but does anyone ever get the feeling all of a sudden that they are an actual being and they exist in the world, when you always knew that, but it suddenly strikes you and surprises you for a while. Can someone tell me what its called ? and has anyone ever experienced this or am i the only one.

:sl:
I don't know what its called, but that's not really paranormal or anything, just sort of musing.

Have you ever wondered to yourself how you would describe the colour red to a blind person?

crayon
06-17-2008, 07:35 AM

edit, i completely misunderstood.. but no, I can't say I've ever had that feeling... it sounds really interesting, though.

Umar001
06-17-2008, 12:10 PM

That kind of happens when I wonder what its like to be someone else, like, how it would look, if I looked from their eyes. Like, they'd see me, imagining waking up in the morning as them, I used to do that alot as a kid, not so much now. Its wierd.

Uthman
07-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Haven't I seen this thread before?

Ali.
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
LOL haha.

TrueStranger
07-02-2008, 07:10 PM
lol!

Woodrow
07-06-2008, 02:54 AM
You asked that before. The answer hasn't changed.

Uthman
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You asked that before. The answer hasn't changed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!