/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Henna

Snowflake
06-01-2008, 01:42 PM
HENNA

Henna plant (scientifically known as Lawsonia Inermis) is well known for long time in the Arab and Muslims world, extensively grown in India and Sudan and used mainly for cosmetic purposes.

Over the last many years I have used Henna as medicine after I read the Hadith about it that the Prophet (PUH) ordered any one who has been pricked by a thorn or has an ulcer on his leg to put Henna on it.

After many years of experience I came to call it the Magic Plant

And in the following paragraphs I will explain why:

1-It has a great healing effect, it contain many healing substances like Tannine and other Glue like substances.

2-It has anti microbial effect especially anti-viral effect.

HENNA USES

BURNS

Henna when applied to a burn area first or second degree it gives very good results;

-Decrease pain.

-Decrease fluid loss from the burn site, this is important if the burn area is large.

-It look to have anti-microbial effect, it decrease infection.

-Stick to the burned site until healing is complete.

-Easy to apply to the burned site as paste or powdered.

-Cheap and available.

2-HEALING PROPERTIES

Henna promote wound healing especially chronic wounds and ulcers, I have used it on nuropathic ulcers of the foot and proved to be very effective. The main factor that promotes healing is not known but I think it has this effect by its nourishing effect on the wound and its anti-microbial properties. If the wound is infected antibiotic cover usually needed.

3-ANTI-HAEMOORAGIC

I used henna for treatment of Epistaxis, and it prove very effective, and give a long lasting cure. And dose not need to be applied more than once most of the times, the powdered stick to the bleeding area until it healed, it work better than cauterization , which is most of the times need to be repeated and still can not guarantee that recurrence of the bleed is not going to occurs.

ANTERIOR NOSE BLEED

(from little area): treated by applying the powdered to bleeding spot ,using a ready made ear cleaning stick with its cotton covered end ,and pack the powder to the site of the bleeder ,that will stop the bleeding , rarely it need to be repeated again and that is really Magic way of treatment for epistaxis.

POSTERIOR NOSE BLEED:

Which is very difficult to treat as every ENT doctor knows, with this Henna powder just ask the patient to sniff the powder through the anterior nostril to make it reach the back of the nose or posterior nostril and by this action the powder will stick to the bleeding area and the bleeding will stop, no more we need to use posterior nose pack which is a nightmare for the patient and the doctor at the same time.

The only side effect of Henna here is , it causes the patient to sneeze a little.

The anti-bleeding effect of Henna could be used at other sights like bleeding duodenal ulcer or esophageal varices . This needs to be tried as far as there are no side effect known.

This anti-bleeding effect may be due to its coagulation like effect or its locally burning effect.

4-ANTI-VIRAL

Henna definitely has an anti-viral effect, that became clear by its action on;

1-warts; we have tried it many times especially on these warts which are resistant to cryo (Nitrogen liquid) treatment and prove effective, one giant wart measuring 1.5x1.5cm on a child thumb which was resistant to all forms of treatment, at last the child referred to the plastic surgeon for operation, we tried Henna on it, applied every other day over night and in few weeks it disappeared completely . The Dermatologist nurse has a wart on her finger for more than two years which was resistant to liquid nitrogen treatment , we asked her to use henna and got cured.

We found it very useful especially on multiple wars.

On warts Henna applied as paste.

2-Herpes Simplex:

This the second proven and successful effect of Henna on viral infections. We applied it as powdered to herpes site, we noticed:

-It dried the vesicles at the site early.

-Prevent ulceration and crust formation.

-Prevent secondary infection.

Henna applied on herpes as powdered.

This anti-viral effect of Henna is very promising , and should be explored further, It could used as treatment for AIDS . It is natural ,cheap, and it look to have no side effect even when taken by oral route.

We have prepared Henna in capsules now at home and used it as a prophylaxis against Flu during last Haj and we think it helped, As we did not get the infection while most people got Haj Flu which is usually a severe one. But this too early to be sure about and need more trails.

5-OTHER USES OF HENNA:

Henna can be used as a prophylaxis especially to protect diabetic patients feet, I routinely now advise my diabetic patients to use henna at least once a month because:
It help to heals fissures and cracks in the foot and reduce foot infection.
It improve the skin texture, which look healthier and softer.
It may delay the nuropathic effect of diabetes, In fact it may reverse the early ones, This need more time to prove.

Henna could be used in the following areas:

1-Back pain
2-Ulcerative colitis as enema.
3-Bleeding duodenal ulcers.

This is our experience with Henna over the last six years or more, the most promising is its anti-viral effect which could prove a breakthrough in modern medicine as a treatment for HIV patients.

MY ALLAH HELP US TO PRESENT THIS GIFT TO WORLD WHICH the prophet MOHAMMAD(pbuh) TOLD US FOURTEEN HUNDREDS YEARS AGO.

Wassalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatu Allah Wa Barakatoh

Source: IslamicMedicine

DR. HUSSAIN AL RASHIDY.
19/1/2000

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-01-2008, 03:49 PM
:sl:

Lovely share! JazakAllah Khair sis :) Henna rocks..:statisfie

:w:

Nájlá
06-01-2008, 04:03 PM
tnx for sharing this with us and i love henna

Khayal
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Nice sharing Sis...jazaakAllaah khayr.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
06-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Can you get different colours?

Snowflake
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb - jzkAllah khair all : )

Unfortunately not Al Habeshi bro. Henna is made of green plant leaves. Sometimes women add hairdye to it to darken or blacken it to use on nails/hair/designs on skin. But that can cause allergic reactions, so best avoided.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Na7lah
06-01-2008, 07:40 PM
actually i know of a stor nearby here that sells colored henna :D

Umar001
06-01-2008, 07:45 PM
So what is it normally?

Na7lah
06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
^it was from an indian store bu ti didnt ask about it...i don't really like using henna try googling it

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-01-2008, 08:27 PM
if u mean in liquid/powder form....green. the after color could be red or like dark brownish..

Na7lah
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
no dey had red, green, blue and brown and black

Snowflake
06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

ahem ahem Henna is only green in powder form. Once the powder is mixed with water and applied to skin it leaves an orangey/ browny tint. Applying oil to the skin after washing the dried henna off can enhance the colour. Coffee can also be added to the mixture for the same purpose before applying.

(If it's another colour that's becuz synthetic dyes have been added to it.)

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-01-2008, 08:33 PM
^^ Yea...btw i was replying to bro Habeshi...
Those colored ones aren't safe, they shouldnt be selling them. Anything harmful is haram no? So selling different colored henna that could be bad for your skin shouldnt be sold right?

Snowflake
06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I was replying to muslimah & Habeshi bro ;D

yeh and ur right, coloured ones hmmm wonder whats in them :skeleton:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Ehh that was to muslimah :X Oh Allah, confusionnnnnnn lol.

Na7lah
06-02-2008, 12:37 AM
^just quote next time :D easier :)

i didnt but them since they didnt look "safe" but then i dont use henna dat much mayb once a year lol

Malaikah
06-02-2008, 12:56 AM
The only dangerous one that I know of is the black one - which has ZERO real henna in it. i.e. no henna at all! It can cause very serious scarring in people who are allergic to it.

The other colours might not be real henna though they *might* be safe... just without the benefits of real henna.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Honestly, nothing beats the real thing! I love the smell of it...:) And the fact that it's healthy. I hate how people have to take something thats already naturally good and add some chemical to it. They cant keep ANYTHING simple :X

m102313
06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm not trying to scare anyone off but i heard that many of these henna's can cause skin cancer because of the chemicals they add to it, one of my relatives living in India does actually have Skin cancer because of the frequent application of it.

Umar001
06-02-2008, 09:27 AM
So what's saffron? is that what is used to make the beard yellowish?

Snowflake
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

saffron's a spice derived from a lower.. really expensive though. I'm not about whether it can be used as a dye or not though. Google?

wa alaikum asalam wr wb

Nawal89
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
^ It can be used as dye. I think thats what the sahabah used as "blonde" dye lol.

Also ibnul Qayyim reccomends one to wrap his head in henna if he has a headache to " take out the heat"

I havent tried it yet as i dont like the smell or the look of henna. I'm not a henna-hater, its just that me and henna dotn mix.

Malaikah
06-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Personally I can't see myself walking around with an orange forehead in the name of a head ache cure lol... but then henna doesn't dye the face very well at all...

Snowflake
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

Hmm yeh I wouldn't like an orange head either. But the 'blonde' saffron one sounds cool. Can't wait to go all grey suddenly :p

wa alaikum asalam wr wb

Umar001
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^ It can be used as dye. I think thats what the sahabah used as "blonde" dye lol.
Safron yea?

Snowflake
06-02-2008, 01:03 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb

yeh bro, saffron.. (I just remembered that I knew it could be used for dyeing hair) lol duh!

here's how you use it..

mix pinch of saffron strands with 500ml of boiling water and leave to stand for 10 minutes.. strain and use on hair.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Umar001
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
asalam alaikum wr wb

yeh bro, saffron.. (I just remembered that I knew it could be used for dyeing hair) lol duh!

here's how you use it..

mix pinch of saffron strands with 500ml of boiling water and leave to stand for 10 minutes.. strain and use on hair.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.
Wa Alaykum Salam,

But saffron is red?

Nawal89
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
^it has a very yellow color, not orange not red.

Umar001
06-02-2008, 01:23 PM

The first one is not saffron?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
^just quote next time :D easier :)

i didnt but them since they didnt look "safe" but then i dont use henna dat much mayb once a year lol
I was too lazy for that sis ;D :p

Snowflake
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
[IMG]

The first one is not saffron?

yeh that one is too. I think that one is more expensive. I bought an ounce in Dubai for £8 and that was supposed to be a bargain :skeleton:

something else I found..

Henna has medicinal properties as well. Ibn Qayyim says, “When headache is from a burning heat and is not from some substance which must be evacuated, henna has a very evident benefit. When it is pounded and applied to the forehead as a dressing with vinegar, it calms the headache. It contains a power which is appropriate to the nerves; when it is applied as a poultice it calms these pains. This is not specifically for pain in the head but is generally for all the limbs. It has a constringent property whereby the limbs are strengthened, and when applies as a dressing to the site of the burning inflammation, it calms it.” (Ibn Qayyim; 64) He goes on to state, “Al Bukhari relates, in his History, and Abu Dawud in his sunan, that the Messenger of Allah , if anyone ever complained to him of a pain in the head, would say, ‘Have yourself cupped.’ If anyone complained to him of a pain in the legs, he told them ‘Anoint yourself with henna’ (Abu Dawud, Tarajjul, 188, 19; Talaq 46).

Among its advantages is that it is a useful dissoluent for burns by fire. When used as a poultice, it has a power appropriate to the nerves; when chewed, it is beneficial for ulcers of the mouth and any blisters which occur in it. It heals thrush which occurs in the mouths of children. Bandaging with it is beneficial for hot inflammations, and its effect on abscesses is similar to that of dragon’s blood plant. When its flowers are mixed with warm wax and rose oil, it is good for pains of the side.
When its flowers are put between the folds of woolen clothing, they scent it and keep moths away…When fingernails are smeared with henna paste, it improves and benefits them. When made into a dough with ghee, it can be used as a dressing for the vestiges of hot inflammation which exude yellow liquid, and it is beneficial for them…It causes the hair to grow, strengthens and beautifies it, and strengthens the head. It is good for blisters and pustules occurring on the legs and feet and the rest of the body. (Ibn Qayyim; 65)
http://www.hennasooq.com/hennainislam.shtml

The only dangerous one that I know of is the black one - which has ZERO real henna in it. i.e. no henna at all! It can cause very serious scarring in people who are allergic to it.
yeh you're prob right - all dyes might not be dangerous

As for its use as a dye, he mentions “Al-Bukhari related in his Sahih, from ‘Uthman b. ‘Abd-Allah b. Mawhab: We went in to Umm Salma, and she brought out for us some of the hair of the Messenger of Allah, and lo, it was dyed with henna and indigo.” (Bukhari, Libas, 66) And in the four sunan, from the Prophet , it is related that he said, ‘The best you can use for changing the color of white hair are henna and katam.’ (Tirmidhi, Libas, 20).In the two books of the Sahih, from Anas, it is quoted that Abu Bakr used hair dye of both henna and katam. (Muslim, Fada’il, 100)” (Ibn Qayyim; 259) (Side note here. What is Katam? It is a plant from Yemen which produces a reddish-black dye).

Anyone know what katam is?

wa alaikum asalam wr wb

truemuslim
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
they sell black colored henna and red colored
i think there is more colors but i havent seen any

i love henna its cute and useful for everything subhanALLAH!
Jazakallah khair muslimah_sis for this !

Sapahi
06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Jazakh'ALLAH Khair for this useful post! By the way are men allowed to put henna on themselves?

arabianprincess
06-03-2008, 04:18 AM
i honestly do like hennna but i cant stand the smelll of it.. is there any way..to kinda change the smellll.. i know i might sound sillly but honestly i cant stand it..

Snowflake
06-03-2008, 09:16 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

format_quote Originally Posted by Sapahi
Jazakh'ALLAH Khair for this useful post! By the way are men allowed to put henna on themselves?
Why not inshaAllah - just not to like women do :X

“Al Bukhari relates, in his History, and Abu Dawud in his sunan, that the Messenger of Allah , if anyone ever complained to him of a pain in the head, would say, ‘Have yourself cupped.’ If anyone complained to him of a pain in the legs, he told them ‘Anoint yourself with henna’ (Abu Dawud, Tarajjul, 188, 19; Talaq 46).

format_quote Originally Posted by arabianprincess
i honestly do like hennna but i cant stand the smelll of it.. is there any way..to kinda change the smellll.. i know i might sound sillly but honestly i cant stand it..
Yes sis, you can add a drop or two of your preferred choice of essential oils. Lavender is nice, geranium is quite strong and may cover the smell of henna better.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Men can put in their hair, beard etc...not hands tho :p
I LOVE the smell of Henna....:D

arabianprincess
06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Men can put in their hair, beard etc...not hands tho :p
I LOVE the smell of Henna....:D
i wish i can love the smellllll... :( oh wellll

Mikayeel
06-05-2008, 02:32 AM

I put henna on my hair occasionally, gives nice colourings:)

I dnt like the smell either though!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Omg I adore the smellll!!!!! I'm always smell it when I got it on my hand lol :p

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-05-2008, 02:45 AM

I hope my wife [when I get married Insha'Allaah] does not put it on her hands.. :-\ I cant stand it when I see the women in my family putting it on their hands. :skeleton:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-05-2008, 02:49 AM
^^Lol maybe if it so happens, ull find someone who doesnt like it ;D But majority of us like it :D My brothers despise the smell too. I bother them by making them sniff it ;D

Pen Marks
06-05-2008, 02:54 AM
i dont really like the smell lol and i don't like the later yellow color
but i usually put it on for parties or on Eid

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-05-2008, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^Lol maybe if it so happens, ull find someone who doesnt like it ;D But majority of us like it :D My brothers despise the smell too. I bother them by making them sniff it ;D
It's not the smell..the smell doesn't bother me too much. Its just how it looks on hands? The weird designs and all. :skeleton:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-05-2008, 03:11 AM
lol I luv the designs, well if u make em good. I think if u make good designs, it looks wicked.

And sis muminah i agree, i hate the color it gets when it fades. i feel like i want it go away when it gets to that, so i could put it on again ;D

Pen Marks
06-05-2008, 03:13 AM
my cuzin use to go over it wen it went yellow ;D but den it would turn out lop-sided somehow lol like it was layered

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-05-2008, 03:17 AM
yea u cant get it exaccccccttttttttt lol. unless u got steady hands.

Snowflake
06-08-2008, 12:24 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

LOL! I did it. I said I wouldn't but did it anyway. I put it on my hair :lol:

It felt quite nice actually, like cooled and soothed my scalp and my hair smelt like fresh herbs afterwards lol :D

Oh and my hair didnt go orange, just a chesnuty brown :p

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Umar001
06-08-2008, 01:32 PM
If you put henna in your hair, and it reaches the roots and skin will ur skin look funny colour? I mean obviously if its on the head the rest of the hair will cover it, but what if you have a small beard and people can see ur skin through it and you put it on, will your skin look differnet?

Snowflake
06-08-2008, 02:12 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

I just had to go and double-check to see if my scalp was orange! Thankfully it's not.
I've seen old men with orange beards, but even if the skin underneath was orange you can't notice it as the beard is like so bright orange lololol!

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

adeeb
06-12-2008, 05:43 AM
henna has been used in my country especially for arabian and indian descent as a cosmetic purpose (hair, nails, and skin).

usually used by women in wedding... it gives good color and u get the sunnah too...

but, nowadays it's in TV shows everyday, like all women now use it...

Snowflake
06-12-2008, 08:57 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

It is still sunnah to use it for decorating your hands and feet, which makes them look attractive to most of the opposite gender? :hmm:

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
^^ I cant help but put it on...even if people see it. =/

truemuslim
06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
asalam alaikum wr wb,

It is still sunnah to use it for decorating your hands and feet, which makes them look attractive to most of the opposite gender? :hmm:

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Lol yeh...

good thing is the Opposite gender DOESNT find henna attractive ;D but rather smelly and stupid

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
^^That's true sis. Well some still like it, but most from what I've seen, dont like it lol.

Snowflake
06-13-2008, 09:04 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

I'm sure most paki men like it :p

Do any of you put it on your nails?

wa alaikum asalam wr wb

MaiCarInMtl
07-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Ok, I had to chime in here since one of my hobbies is doing henna designs on people.

As for colours, no, you cannot have different colours if you are using natural henna. The stain will vary depending on:
a) your skin tone
b) where on the body you put the henna (inside of hands and soles of your feet turn out much darker)
c) where the crop comes from (India, Morocco, etc etc) and the crop year (like all crops, things can change).

All in all, the colours are basically shades of orange/red/brown.

NEVER buy "black henna"! NEVER!!!!! It is not even henna, it is in fact concentrated black hair dye. This is why people tend to have alergic reactions to it (and some even end up with scars due to this). Any time you get henna done, please ask what kind of henna it is. If someone says it is black henna, please just walk away! It is not worth the risk.

The smell of henna: as someone pointed out earlier, there are many things you can do to help change/mask the smell of henna, the most popular being to add essential oils such as lavender (recommended for pregnant women), cajeput, orange blossom, etc.

Chemicals: If you buy good henna, there shouldn't be chemicals in there. It should only be the henna in powder form (or perhaps some people can buy it otherwise), no additives other than the occasional twig from the plant. Now, if you add anythign to the henna, that's when things change. Read the next 2 paragraphs to know what gets added in.

Staining of the skin: I usually just take the powder, add some lemon juice and some glucose (sugar). I let this sit in a warm spot overnight to let the dye start its release. I then add some essential oils (which helps deepen the stain) and let it rest a few more hours. Then I pass is through a stocking and put it into the henna cones and stick them in my freezer. Simply take them out 15-20 minutes to let them thaw out and you are good to go.

Henna for hair: Just add some lemon juice to the powder. Let it sit overnight, add a little more lemon juice or some fragrant tea and you're good to go! You can add clove powder or cinnamon to make things smell better but it may irritate your scalp. Do not add oils. I really do not suggest you buy what they sell at pharmacies as they often have some chemicals thrown in and some strange metals. This is when people run into problems (going to regular hair dye after and getting green/fried hair). I haven't seen anyone walk around with a stained skin from this.

You can use other products to help change the colour of your hair (mix and match with henna to make different colours): indigo, cassia, amla.

I feel as though I just wrote a book...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.