/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women sleep over at the masjid ?

Idris
06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
:sl:

Can a women(Muslim) sleep over night at the masjid ?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Sleep how? Why? In itikaf? For laylat al qadr? I've been to a few all nighters for laylat al qadr, although there wasn't much sleeping involved - just a few cat naps in between quran, lectures and salat.

A few answers related to itikaf:

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=bqn975

This year in sha' Allah, I want to perform 'itikaf. I have heard that the period of 'itikaf can be as long as one prayer time. I will not be able to do 'itikaf the whole time as I have a little child, but my husband will help me in that when he comes home he will look after our son.

My questions is that some people say it is preferable to do 'itikaf at home and some say it is preferable to do it in the Mosque even for ladies. What is correct, where is it preferable? If it is preferable in Mosque that is not a problem, the Mosque is not too far from me. Can I go there when my husband comes home and come back home after suhur? I am so much looking forward to your answer as the time for 'itikaf is approcahing quickly.
Answer In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear daughter,

May Allah reward you for your good intention. I think 'itikaf for women is permissible and allowed both at home or in the Mosque, but if we want to follow the pure Sunnah of the Mothers of the Believers we find that they performed 'itikaf at home. So it is permissible for you to do 'itikaf at home or in the Mosque, whatever is more convenient to you. May Allah guide you to the right path.

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547586

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

I`tikaf is recommended by the Sunnah for both men and women. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) performed i`tikaf himself and so did his wives during his life and after his death.

Accordingly, there is nothing wrong if women perform i`tikaf in the mosque provided that this will not cause any negligence to the rights of their husbands or that of their children.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

It is permissible for women to do i`tikaf in the mosque — provided they have special arrangements for them to do so. Most of the mosques in the city [Toronto], however, do not have adequate facilities for women. Sadly enough, we find women often being relegated to a dark room or crowded corner, which is indeed a disgrace to womanhood. It is undoubtedly against the teachings of our beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), as he always ordered us to treat them with respect and dignity.

So until proper arrangements are made for women to observe the Sunnah of i`tikaf in the mosque, it is better that they do it in their own homes. For as scholars and jurists such as Imam Abu Hanifah have ruled, women may perform the Sunnah of i`tikaf in their own musalla (Prayer place) at home.

Women, however, need not despair; they may do well to recall an important point raised by Imam Shah Waliullah in his study of the philosophy of Shari`ah. He says that the Shari`ah is based on a fine principle of compensation which allows a person who cannot do a certain act of worship to reap the same rewards by doing what he/she can possibly do according to his/her circumstances or means. This is because of the fact that the Shari`ah is based on the infinite mercy of Allah, Who dispenses His graces freely to all of His servants.
Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544698

Wa`alykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Dear brother, in Islam, first of all, let's express our appreciation for your forwarding this question to us, and we really commend your keenness in getting yourself well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam.

In the last third of Ramadan, a Muslim is recommended to increase his worship and devotion so as to bring himself nearer to Allah; he should make use of the last chance of the blessed month of Ramadan. Here, we recall the Hadith narrated by `Aishah, may Allah be pleased with her, in which she said that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, used to observe I`tikaf during the last ten days of the month of Ramadan and he continued this practice until his death. After him his wives carried on this practice of observing I`tikaf regularly." (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

As regards your question about "women performing I`tikaf in the mosque", the eminent Muslim scholar, Dr. `Abdul-Fattah `Ashoor, Professor of the Exegesis of the Qur'an at Al-Azhar Univ., states:

"I`tikaf is recommended by the Sunnah for both men and women. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, performed I`tikaf himself and so did his wives during his life and after his death.

Accordingly, there is nothing wrong if women perform I`tikaf in the mosque provided that this will not cause any negligence to the rights of their husbands or that of their children.

However, scholars of Al-Hanafiyyah and Al-Malikiyyah are of the opinion that women can perform I`tikaf in their homes where they are accustomed to performing prayer.

In conclusion, I think it is better for women to follow this latter opinion."

blm2007
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
To my knowledge,in no way anyone can sleep in Mosque.If it is about spending the whole night at Mosque in the Holy Night of laylat al qadr,then even none is allowed to sleep,but he or she can take a short break and rest for sometimes,but no sleeping at all.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Islamic Forum
Search Quran

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Do you mean just regular sleeping brother or for a certain event?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.