/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help with explaining the event in Surah Ali Imran and Maryam

jibreelk
06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Salamo Aleikum
Some doubts are trying to be casted by shaitan on the Quran and we cannot answer due to our lack of knowledge

If anyone can help with answering this question ... may Allah reward you and bless all of you

The question is :

"Why in surah Ali Imran and Surah Maryam the accounts of the story of Zakariah and his prayer are different. Also the sign that he gets for the acceptance of his prayer are different. One says he will not speak for 3 days in surah Imran and the other that he will not speak to people for 3 nights in surah Maryam.
3:41 [Zachariah] prayed: "O my Sustainer! Appoint a sign for me!" Said [the angel]: "Thy sign shall be that for three days thou wilt not speak unto men other than by gestures. [29] And remember thy Sustainer unceasingly, and extol His limitless glory by night and by day."
VS
19:10 [Zachariah] prayed: "O my Sustainer! Appoint a sign for me!" Said [the angel]: "Thy sign shall be that for full three nights [and days] thou wilt not speak unto men. [9] "

Insh Allah if you can shed some light on this. I know that sometimes in Arabic there is maksum alei if I remember well that is why they put the parantheses sometimes in the Quran because the meaning is implied.
Jizak Allah khairun
I cannot express the gratitude for helping us out
Salamo Aleikum
P.S which tafseer do you recomend for me to study, one that is in depth and really explains good?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
06-06-2008, 06:40 AM
WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Welcome to the forums. :)

This is talken from Tafisr Ibn Kathir, which is a good start for you to read^ Insha'Allah.

He said: "Your sign is...'') meaning, "Your sign will be...''

[أَلاَّ تُكَلِّمَ النَّاسَ ثَلَـثَ لَيَالٍ سَوِيّاً]

(that you shall not speak unto mankind for three nights, though having no bodily defect.) Meaning, `your tongue will be prevented from speaking for three nights while you are healthy and fit, without any sickness or illness.' Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, `Ikrimah, Wahb, As-Suddi, Qatadah and others said, "His tongue was arrested without any sickness or illness.'' `Abdur-Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslam said, "He used to recite and glorify Allah, but he was not able to speak to his people except by gestures. '' Al-`Awfi reported that Ibn `Abbas said,

[ثَلَـثَ لَيَالٍ سَوِيّاً]

(three nights, though having no bodily defect.) "The nights were consecutive.'' However, the first statement that is reported from him and the majority is more correct. This Ayah is similar to what Allah, the Exalted, said in Surah Al `Imran,

[قَالَ رَبِّ اجْعَل لِّى ءَايَةً قَالَ ءَايَتُكَ أَلاَّ تُكَلِّمَ النَّاسَ ثَلَـثَةَ أَيَّامٍ إِلاَّ رَمْزًا وَاذْكُر رَّبَّكَ كَثِيرًا وَسَبِّحْ بِالْعَشِىِّ وَالإِبْكَـرِ ]

(He said: "O my Lord! Make a sign for me.'' (Allah) said "Your sign is that you shall not speak to mankind for three days except with signals. And remember your Lord much, and glorify (Him) in the afternoon and in the morning.)[3:41] This is a proof that he did not speak to his people for these three nights and their days as well.

[إِلاَّ رَمْزًا]

(except with signals.) Meaning, with bodily gestures, this is why Allah says in this noble Ayah,

[فَخَرَجَ عَلَى قَوْمِهِ مِنَ الْمِحْرَابِ]

(Then he came out to his people from the Mihrab) referring to the place where he was given the good news of the child.

[فَأَوْحَى إِلَيْهِمْ]

(he indicated to them by signs) Meaning he made a gesture to them that was subtle and swift.

[أَن سَبِّحُواْ بُكْرَةً وَعَشِيّاً]

(to glorify [Allah] in the morning and in the afternoon.) That they should be agreeable to what he was commanded to do during these three days, to increase in his deeds and gratitude to Allah for what He had given him. Mujahid said,

[فَأَوْحَى إِلَيْهِمْ]

(he indicated to them by signs) "He made a gesture.'' Wahb and Qatadah said the same.

WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.