/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help in homework *writing to describe*

medlink student
06-08-2008, 09:57 PM
:sl:
please help me with hwk.

I am doing a project about ''pirates'' and we have to describe a forest, a lake, a swamp, mountain.[they are all on one island]

I need some ideas, sentence, keywords....anything that you think will help.

:statisfie the island is not a very pleasant one, and the description has to be like misrable, and scary ..etc...:skeleton:

THANKS. :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AhlaamBella
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
The best advice I can give you is BE ORIGINAL. :)

Add a twist to your work.

Focus on your 5 senses. What can you see? what sounds can you hear? What can you smell? Is there a taste is the air? What do things feel like?

Also, experiment with your vocab. One way to do this is to pick a colour and gl through as many words you can associate with that colour.

Hope this helps :)

What level are you doing? GCSE?

Pk_#2
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by o.elmais
please help me with hwk.

I am doing a project about ''pirates'' and we have to describe a forest, a lake, a swamp, mountain.[they are all on one island]

I need some ideas, sentence, keywords....anything that you think will help.

:statisfie the island is not a very pleasant one, and the description has to be like misrable, and scary ..etc...:skeleton:

THANKS. :D
Think of keywords (describing keywords) like:

-Scary
-Dark
-Lonely
-Creepy
-Deserted

etc they're all adjectives but you can find more adjectives similar to them if you type them up on Microsoft word, right click, synonyms..Alternatively, you could just use a thesaurus.

Hope that helped.

-I think he is at GCSE level sis, Osman _ 93?

medlink student
06-08-2008, 10:10 PM
im in year 9, moving to GCSE in a weeks time, inshallah.
jazakom Allah khairan

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
06-09-2008, 09:50 AM
:salamext:

a forest, a lake, a swamp, mountain
Is this like a story?

medlink student
06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -
:salamext:

Is this like a story?
no, im describing different places *writing to describe* :)

Pen Marks
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
we usually have to describe everything in cronological order, spacial order or order of importance <--it helps alot cuz den u get every detail

choose a few words that overall discribe the setting than focus on those while ur writing :)

truthforpeace
06-10-2008, 02:12 AM
good luck!

S_87
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
hmm write up a basic piece of what you want to say.
ie: the lake was large

then go over that and change what you can to make it more descriptive.
above example changes to you mentioning the lake was large and forbidding, the shape of a ....It was filled with murky grey water.... the air around it thick. ...you could see the suns reflection peeping from the clouds onto the water revealing blackness in the water ........... etc etc im sure you get the picture

Or post up the piece and and inshaAllah we can help you change stuff.
And dont forget to use the thesaurus. :)

sevgi
06-10-2008, 03:20 PM
salams

another thing which may add some evokativeness is ur tense..

i dno if this is allowed..

bt rather than using "was this and was that"

try "is this and is that"

perhaps involve the reader in the description if ur allowed...

"isnt it aweful to step in mud when uve just shined ur boots?"
"was that the sound of the october monsoon...?"

i dnt even knw if this is a story...

gluck

Snowflake
06-10-2008, 11:28 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

the island is not a very pleasant one, and the description has to be like misrable, and scary ..etc...
Here are some ideas...

1) the air was thick with the smell of decaying woodland

2) masses of dead reddish brown seaweed littered the beach like rotting corpses

3) jagged rocks of raven black jutted out from the murky waters, their sharp contours chiselled into defiant faces

4) the hands of time had cruelly stripped the island of it's beauty and tranquility, leaving a sense of forboding hanging in the air

5) the island seemed dead and yet alive, as if it had sensed my presence and was warning me of evil that lay ahead (or) as if it sensed an intruder and was sending out a warning to turn back

6) distant calls of seagulls (or whatever birds) belied the absence of life

7) dark and imposing mountains rose high into the sky casting gloomy shadows deep into the forest, it's deep and dark crevices mocking as if hiding stories of untold misery

8) the trees stood silent yet seemed to sway hypnotically in my peripheral vision, their thick but ravaged brances reaching out like the arms of an anguished lover

9) the island's eerie silence was like that of a partially deaf man listening attentively for any sound

10) the stench of rotten eggs caused by the algae rose over the lake like bad souls wandering aimlessly

a) The lake itself seemed fathomless and unforgiving
b) it's waters reflected a surface that appeared inviting yet impenetrable at the same time; as if once you'd surrendered to it's invitation, it would never let you resurface again

11) muhahaha lol *snaps fingers* wake up :p

hope that helps?

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

medlink student
06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
WOW!!! mashallah, jazakom Allah khairan muslima_sis! that will be really beneficial inshallah:statisfie :sl:

Snowflake
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

wa iyya kum bro

Good luck! :)

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Re.TiReD
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

Can the forest have like a swamp in it with deadly fish insha'Allah? That should be awesome to describe :D

WassalamuAlaykum

medlink student
06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
oh good idea, I will includ it in my description.
today is the last day, so tthanks 4 all the help :):w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.