/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How would you answer this?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-20-2008, 01:47 AM
:sl:

Well I'm on a different forum with a sister from here. It's an Arab forum actually, but there are Muslims on there. An agnostic actually started a thread. It's not one question really. Ok my point is, how would you answer him. I know what I'd say but not to the extent to explain it well. So how would you guys respond to his comments. Help is appreciated :D

:w:

Okay, so seriously, I realize that we've been around this topic a million times already, so I apologize if some of you are sick of it. I'm just really curious and bemused!

So - the Quran was literally written by Allah. Every word of it is his complete and total, perfect instructions for how to live our lives. Is that correct?

However, many Muslims on here are often referring to additional Islamic resources, like "updates" written by men. What are they called? Hadiths? Can someone help me be clear?

So if the Quran is the word of God, and it's perfect, then what about all those additional rules or writings over the past 1500 years? Aren't they interpretations, subject to human infallability?

If the Quran is PERFECT, as many people here vehemently have tried in vain to convince several of us doubters, then why was there ever any need for the hadiths, especially since those aren't even "the word of God"? Unless Allah actually spoke to each of the messengers or Islamic scholars who are making all the updates and clarifications?

I'm sure this is very silly to devout Muslims, so I apologize for being so basic & blunt. However I really am curious about this, which seems to me to be a glaring stick in the spokes of Islamic reason.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
The "updates" written by man are called hadiths. They are the sayings and actions of the prophet :arabic5: as recorded by his companions, and they are the only other source of islamic rulings besides the quran.

First off, an example. The works of Shakespeare are classics, considered several of the greatest works of literature ever written by mankind, yes? If someone just gave you one of his plays and told you to read it and understand it, without you having any prior language of literature written at that time, or having ever seen anything like it, would you have understood it? Of course not. In the same way, hadiths are there to explain the quran in detail, and provide further insight into the religion of islam. If the quran was going to contain every single bit of islamic knowledge, it would not consist of one book, it would consist of volumes and volumes and volumes of them.

Also, they are not "updates" in the sense that they come up with a new way of doing something that came in the quran, they are merely an explanation of what is in it.

Nor does he (Muhammad) speak out of his desire. It is nothing but revelation that is revealed. (Quran 53:3-4).

The above is a verse from the quran that confirms that whatever the prophet :arabic5: says in relation to anything related to islam is not from his own interpretation, it is what Allah reveals to him. If someone asks him where he should place his hands during prayer, he will not make something up. Allah will reveal to him the answer.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Hadiths are not new.

what appears to be updates to this man is just the scholars seperating the daeef (weak hadith) from the sa7ee7 (authentic hadith).

People also fabricate lots of hadith, but those are ignored.

So the religion was perfected during the time of the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam, and we use the Quran and words of the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam to understand that islaam.

S1aveofA11ah
06-20-2008, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven

Well I'm on a different forum with a sister from here. It's an Arab forum actually, but there are Muslims on there, or should I say so called. An agnostic actually started a thread. It's not one question really. Ok my point is, how would you answer him. I know what I'd say but not to the extent to explain it well. So how would you guys respond to his comments. Help is appreciated :D

Someone out there might be able to help me out but from the little (alhamdullilah) I do know is this. The Qur'an itself talks about the Sunnah somewhere - I think its referred to as the 'hikmah' or something like that. I think the verse says to follow the Quran and the Hikmah. So this person is sort of answering the question himself by saying the Qur'an is considered PERFECT and its the Qur'an itself commanding following the Sunnah.

Without a doubt the Ahadith are imperative in Islam as we would not know how many rakaats each and every prayer should have with just the Qur'an. Allah Knows Best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SixTen
06-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Okay, so seriously, I realize that we've been around this topic a million times already, so I apologize if some of you are sick of it. I'm just really curious and bemused!

So - the Quran was literally written by Allah. Every word of it is his complete and total, perfect instructions for how to live our lives. Is that correct?

However, many Muslims on here are often referring to additional Islamic resources, like "updates" written by men. What are they called? Hadiths? Can someone help me be clear?

So if the Quran is the word of God, and it's perfect, then what about all those additional rules or writings over the past 1500 years? Aren't they interpretations, subject to human infallability?

If the Quran is PERFECT, as many people here vehemently have tried in vain to convince several of us doubters, then why was there ever any need for the hadiths, especially since those aren't even "the word of God"? Unless Allah actually spoke to each of the messengers or Islamic scholars who are making all the updates and clarifications?

I'm sure this is very silly to devout Muslims, so I apologize for being so basic & blunt. However I really am curious about this, which seems to me to be a glaring stick in the spokes of Islamic reason.
Their has been no updates. Qur'an, is Gods words. Hadiths, are traditions (recordings) of actions/sayings of the Prophet and companions. Their is a strict difference.

Having one, does not mean you can't have the other, they are not mutually exclusive. Some things are more practical by example rather than by dictation, such as the prayer. Qur'an is the message - sunnah is the implenentation of the Qur'an as a living example. Referring back to the sunnah is making sure you are implementing the Qur'an correctly.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-20-2008, 06:27 PM

JazakAllah Khair for your answers everyone. Well I'll wait and see if anyone else responds, but I hope this helps him >.<.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.