/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Smokers offered money to give up

Uthman
06-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Smokers in the poorest areas of Dundee are being offered £150 worth of groceries by the health service if they are able to give up cigarettes.

Participants in a 12-week scheme will be given £12.50 a week by NHS Tayside if a carbon monoxide breath test proves they have not been smoking.

The money will be credited onto an electronic card which cannot be used for cigarettes or alcohol.

There are 36,000 smokers in Dundee, about half of whom live in poverty.

The scheme is similar to a project used by the trust to encourage pregnant women to give up smoking.

'Innovative approach'

Sandy Watson, chairman of the health board, said: "Last year the Scottish Government challenged NHS Tayside to address smoking in disadvantaged areas. This project seeks to deliver on that and if successful could be replicated nationally.

"Smoking in Dundee is a difficult problem to tackle but we are hopeful that this innovative approach will encourage smokers to stop smoking for good and therefore make a real difference to their long-term health."

The convener of Dundee City Council's social work and health committee, Helen Wright, added: "A lot of good work has already been done by the city council and NHS Tayside with expectant mothers which has shown that providing incentives to smokers to help them quit is a tactic that can work."

Andrew Radley, consultant in public health and the founder of the scheme, added: "We are excited to be launching a health improvement scheme that will engage with the disadvantaged communities in Dundee and potentially make a real difference to their long-term health.

"Giving up smoking is the single most important lifestyle decision that anyone can make to improve their health immediately."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
06-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Bump

adeeb
06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
nice to know people trying to stop smoking..

the earth is suffering!!

IbnAbdulHakim
06-24-2008, 10:39 AM
lol im wondering if £12.50 is enough motivation. Im sure we are all aware just how much addiction cigarrettes cause, will 12.50 cut it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
06-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Eric H
06-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Osman my anti smoking friend.
Participants in a 12-week scheme will be given £12.50 a week by NHS Tayside if a carbon monoxide breath test proves they have not been smoking.
Don't believe all you read, I gave up smoking 27 years ago and I am still waiting for my first £12.50.:enough!:

I hope you are not smoking.

Take care

Eric

Musaafirah
06-24-2008, 08:36 PM
What is it with people these days?
Why is it that people need to be paid to do something beneficial for their own health? Like this one..£150 to give up smoking..
And there's another one where people get to go on a holiday worth £1,000 if they get tested for Chlamidiya..
Where is the self restraint and self discipline?
What about those of us who don't smoke? Any compensation for us having to put up with passing thorugh smoking crowds of people at bus stops and outside public places..
Why not put the money to good use...or is there just too much money the government doesn't know what to do with it..
what about investing back into the healthcare service it provides....
Arrghh...
I don't understand..:muddlehea

Uthman
06-24-2008, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
I gave up smoking 27 years ago
That's very commendable, Uncle Eric H! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.