/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer

serenechaos
06-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I had two parts of my questions, and I am truly coming here for aide from brothers and sisters to aide in my deen as I am coming back to my faith in Islam. There were 57 views, yet only two replies.. I am not trying to whine over this, if it was nothing important, yet as a weakened brother seeking aide and reassurance, it carries a bit more weight for me I suppose. :)

I am told, by a few different sites.. I have been enjoying Halal Tube and the deen show. It speaks about going at your own pace.. There is great truth in this, from my own experience. As an american revert, I did the usual thing I am sure, and over committed and burnt out just as quickly. I strayed from the path, even committed shirk in returning to my former religion which is a polytheist faith of my ancestors. Yet, I feel Allah is most merciful and patient in his way, as it has only made me that much stronger in this return. I have a much deeper appreciation for what I follow now.

On the matter of prayer, I was told by a brother over another chat medium that I could speak a few arabic words, perhaps just the Opening, the first few lines of Surah 1 in arabic, and then speak in english my prayers as I continue to learn Arabic and how to pray.

Please advise on these matters. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
06-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Hmm...

Bro', from what I know you must recite the prayer in Arabic. It'll take some time for reverts like yourself, but accomplishable.

There were 57 views, yet only two replies
There are some very friendly and knowledgeable people on this forum, so be patient and insha'Allah somebody will answer your question(s) with a fuller explanation than I have given :).

May I also add congratulations on your reversion and please do not hesitate to ask any further questions. :)

:peace:,

Ali.

Güven
06-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Yep The Prayer must be in Arabic However :

To understand the answer, we must remember that Islam is given as a mercy to humankind. Islam is not a burden to anyone. It is a message that brings peace.

If, then, there is someone who absolutely cannot master Arabic to say the Prayers, he or she could begin by saying their meaning in his or her own language until such a time that Arabic could be learned. Islam is very flexible.

This, however, is an extreme suggestion, because it only requires learning two verses of the noble Qur'an, even the shortest two, in order to pray properly.

It is inconceivable that a person could not manage to learn two short verses in order to pray. And this requirement, of course, only applies to the formal necessities of Prayer. We can make our own supplications in any language at all.

Even when our foreheads are touching the ground during the five daily Prayers, we can add our own supplications to Allah in any language we choose.

The question of praying in Arabic is not a burden imposed on Muslims. Nor should it be seen as Arab Muslims trying to control the rest of the Muslim world. Arabic as a requirement for Prayer is a very small requirement indeed.

What we find, though, is that those Muslims who are not Arab want to increase their knowledge of Arabic in order to read the noble Qur'an and in order to stand in Prayer with other Muslims, either in the mosque or on the great occasion of Hajj.

Twice the Reward

There is a very beautiful hadith that has a direct bearing on this question of Arabic. Our beloved Prophet understood well that all people are not expert at languages. He could foresee, too, that Islam would reach every corner of the earth and that many non-Arabs would become Muslim.

To these brothers and sisters, he is reported to have said these words,

Verily, the one who recites the Qur'an beautifully, smoothly and precisely, will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses because he doesn't know how to read it but is trying to, then he will have twice that reward. (Muslim)

Al-hamdu lillah! Islam is a universal religion and Muslims cover almost every country on earth. We read in the noble Qur'an what means:

*{On no soul does Allah place a burden greater than it can bear.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:286)

Knowledge of Arabic can become a blessing, not a problem or a difficulty, for those who try to learn it for the sake of Allah.

Allah will never withhold the capacity to learn just a few verses of the noble Qur'an in order to pray. Hopefully, our Prayers will be accepted.
Source:http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...=1181062551076

I Hope It helps you Brother :)

IbnAbdulHakim
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

it could be brother that people do are scared of giving wrong answers :).

Well brother you should strive to learn arabic and pray in arabic.

Till then inshaAllaah you can do it in english although you should aim to pray your very next salaah in complete arabic...

Assalamu Alaikum :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

When I converted, a kind sister sent me an invaluable thing - prayer cards with a line of arabic, followed by the english translation. I held those as I learned to pray, reading a line in arabic aloud, and then reading the line in english silently. After praying this way for a few months, I found I could not only pray all my prayers in arabic from memory, but also that I understood what I was saying, which made the prayers much more meaningful for me than when I was simply trying to spew out arabic.

I've made a document that one can download, print out and cut up to make their own set of prayer cards. It can be downloaded here.

I checked with a sheikh at al Azhar about this method, and he said it was fine.

Güven
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah And Whats With ALL that German Members , Spammers Or whatever they Are , They just keep comin like Zombies

MustafaMc
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Firstly, I thank Allah that He has guided you back to the straight path. I have gone through a similar course myself, but since 7 years ago I have practiced my chosen faith, Islam. I advise you to do the best that you can and continually strive and intend to do better. I yet struggle myself to perfect my salah and to pray as if I see Allah or at least that I am fully aware that He sees me. Get the basics: 1) wudu (ablution), 2) pray on time, 3) face qibla (Kabba in Mecca), 4) various actions - qiyam (standing), ruku (bowing), sujud (prostration), and jalsa (sitting), 5) learn to recite Al-fatiha (Surah 1) in Arabic.

I encourage you to do your best and not others lay on you more than you can bear such that you get discouraged. Allah is Most Merciful and Most Gracious towards those who strive to worship Him as He wants to be worshiped.

Book on basics of Islam:
http://islamicbookstore.com/b2730.html

Prayer times and qibla (direction):
http://www.islamicfinder.com/

Pocket prayer card with transliteration:
http://soundvision.com/shop/pview.asp?Item=913-113

Software for ayat by ayat recitation in Arabic:
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma..._Code=Software

Qur'an with transliteration:
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma...Code=Eng_Quran

Website for memorizing Qur'an:
http://www.islamicity.com/education/quranreciter/

serenechaos
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum..

Janaa, I am getting a not found.. could you email it perhaps or another link to it?

UmmSqueakster
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I tried to email you through the site but I got an error. I think that may be because you're still a new member.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.