/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Writings from Mecca?

reasonableph8th
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Just wondering what parts in the Quran is Muhammad's earliest writings from Mecca? Unfortunately, I still haven't bought a copy of my own (which I will soon), so I don't know if it divides it up in there, but can anyone tell me what was the very earliest of his writings?

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
06-24-2008, 03:55 AM
check this out:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...riah/LSELayout

p.s. here is a chart of the chronological order and it also tells which verses are meccan and which from madina.

http://www.qran.org/q-chrono.htm

teen-omar
06-24-2008, 06:36 AM
:sl:
First of all hamdullah to hear that you want to find out more about Islam and go out and buy a Qur'an. It will be of great benefit to you, that's for sure :D
Secondly, Muhammad (pbuh) didn't write the qur'an, as he was illiterate. What he did was speak to the people and tell them the verses of the qur'an which were revealed to him by God through the angel Gabriel (Jibreel).
But if you are looking for the first "Surah" that was revealed to him, then it is Surah 96 with the name AL `ALAQ or IQRA' which basically means "Read".
And if you want to get into further details on when the Qur'an was first written down (because before it was written down, people used to memorize it and apply it) then i can let you know that it was startedin the time of the 1st Calipha Abu Bakr Siddiq (radhiallahu 3anhum). However, the final version of the Qur'an that we know of nowadays with all Chapters compiled together was finalised at the time of the 3rd Calipha Uthman (radhiallahu 3anhum).
I hope that cleared up a few things, and don't be shy to ask any questions, we are here to make you understand Islam as much as possible :)
:w:

north_malaysian
06-24-2008, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by reasonableph8th
Muhammad's earliest writings from Mecca?
Prophet Muhammad was an illiterate...he didn't know how to write...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.