/* */

PDA

View Full Version : my sister wants to be actress...im totally confused

zachariasmuslim
06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
slamalekum/as-salamalaikum(wat evr spelling in english) okay i do not know where to post dis topic, but anyway, my sister is 10yrs old, (we r muslims from bangladesh) by watching american teen and kids show my sister is now saying that she wants to be actress and singer in usa.
1st) so is this bad in islam? will she get sins? well i dont think she wants to make her self naked for acting but she'll definetly not be wearing the hijab/scarf. so she shall not be considered as a proper muslim? i dont think my parents r liking the idea but well they r not directly saying anything yet since she is only 10. but if she does become actress+singer will that have a bad effect, in terms of islam, in my parents as well?
2nd)well some ppl have said that it doesnt matter on her occupation as long as she is following islam, namely having faith in allah, praying, donating zakat, having manners and courtesy, knowing suras and etc she is just fine. so provided that she'd do all tat(expect for wearing hijab) will she be then alright?
3rd)im a bit confused some muslims say tat as long as u've got faith in allah and pray u r a muslim, while others say tat a muslim must wear heavy clothes, cannot look at girls, girls/women cannot go outside, cannot talk to a man, muslims also must kill non-muslims and etc. and wat about dudes like sharook khan, salman khan? they're muslims too arnt they? but theyre acting in films and etc so does tat mean they're bad? and mohammad ali also use to box without shirt so does tat also mean he's bad?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
06-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Acting is a haram occupation, regardless if you follow Islaam.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Acting involves things that are contrary to Islam, so it wouldnt be a good idea. And u dunno how it might affect her in the long run, which might not be good...
Since she is only 10...maybe u should let her watch less bollywood and introduce her to more stuff on Islam, also in a fun way.

Nájlá
06-28-2008, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Acting involves things that are contrary to Islam, so it wouldnt be a good idea. And u dunno how it might affect her in the long run, which might not be good...
Since she is only 10...maybe u should let her watch less bollywood and introduce her to more stuff on Islam, also in a fun way.
i agree

i remeber my cousin used watch lots of movies and the she decided she wanted to become an acter so ofcourse her parents didnt let her so they used stop her from watching movies and only allowed her to watch cartoons and stuff on islam. and it work alhamdullah. she now wants to become a writer *i think*

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Alhamdulillah that's good.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Acting is a haram occupation, regardless if you follow Islaam.
Is it haraam per se or does it depend on the role and teh movie?

Cabdullahi
06-28-2008, 04:02 PM
^
Bad movie=acting is haram
Good movie(educational or islamic)=acting is halal provided the person follows the right guidelines

Its that simple and straightforwad and i think you couldve answered that question yourself but nonetheless we will give you an answer for every question you ask whether serious or purposely silly

SixTen
06-28-2008, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Is it haraam per se or does it depend on the role and teh movie?
If you are acting - I am assuming it is for entertainment purposes, hence haram. Same reason you can play football, but can't be a paid footballer.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
^
Bad movie=acting is haram
Good movie(educational or islamic)=acting is halal provided the person follows the right guidelines
Thats' what I though.

Its that simple and straightforwad and i think you couldve answered that question yourself but nonetheless we will give you an answer for every question you ask whether serious or purposely silly
I could ye, but I've encountered a couple of similar question where my common sense prduce a wrong answer. For insatnce, drowning or burning in a fire will automatically make you a martyr, even if you don't do anything curageous. Or instrumenal music, haraam in all cuurcumstances.
Besides, many muslims claim portraying living creatures is haraam, some claim photography is haraam, so I though cinema could be haraam as well.

I only ask silly questions in silly threads.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 04:15 PM
If you are acting - I am assuming it is for entertainment purposes, hence haram. Same reason you can play football, but can't be a paid footballer.
1. So for a movie to be islamically permissible, it's got to be educational?
2. You sure about that?

Cabdullahi
06-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Thats' what I though.

I could ye, but I've encountered a couple of similar question where my common sense prduce a wrong answer. For insatnce, drowning or burning in a fire will automatically make you a martyr, even if you don't do anything curageous. Or instrumenal music, haraam in all cuurcumstances.
Besides, many muslims claim portraying living creatures is haraam, some claim photography is haraam, so I though cinema could be haraam as well.

I only ask silly questions in silly threads.
Ok brother just forget anything you've heard and just remember this that Allah informs us in the qur'an that He does not burden any soul with more than it can bear

Cabdullahi
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Im sure you watch alot of movies,i used to also but do you think the movies nowadays do a great deal for the society or do they advertise bad behaviours and actions,its about what makes the most revenue now, people seem to just want crazy and controversial stuff , good movies with true meaning is a thing of the past

SixTen
06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
1. So for a movie to be islamically permissible, it's got to be educational?
2. You sure about that?
1. If the movie is non-entertainment and useful - it would be permissable. For example, a documentary to do with hajj.
2. Yes, you cannot be employed in a work where you get paid for entertainment.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Im sure you watch alot of movies,i used to also but do you think the movies nowadays do a great deal for the society or do they advertise bad behaviours and actions,its about what makes the most revenue now, people seem to just want crazy and controversial stuff , good movies with true meaning is a thing of the past
Not at all, plenty of good movies are made nowadays, you just need to look a litlle deeper, beyond the hollywood studio crap. Once you've done that, you'll see most movies are not made to make money but to promote art.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 04:35 PM
1. If the movie is non-entertainment and useful - it would be permissable. For example, a documentary to do with hajj.
2. Yes, you cannot be employed in a work where you get paid for entertainment.
What about non-isalmic documentaries?

SixTen
06-28-2008, 04:51 PM
What about non-isalmic documentaries?
It doesn't have to be Islamic, just useful. i.e., teaching medicine.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 04:55 PM
It doesn't have to be Islamic, just useful. i.e., teaching medicine.
Yeah, I thought so.
what about non-entertaining movies, like dramas and such? Provided that they don't include unislamic elements.

Cabdullahi
06-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I thought so.
what about non-entertaining movies, like dramas and such? Provided that they don't include unislamic elements.
Yeah there's plenty of arabic drama,you just need the arabic satellite,but some of it is not islamic and some are worse then eastenders!

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah there's plenty of arabic drama,you just need the arabic satellite,but some of it is not islamic and some are worse then eastenders!
Why does it have to be arabic?

SixTen
06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I thought so.
Drama's fall under entertainment though.

Cabdullahi
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Why does it have to be arabic?
Its doesnt need to be in arabic,i dont get you?

Eeman
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Hmmmmm... Okaaaaaaaaay!!!
something new i learnt today!!!
so you can play football as a recreational thing but its haram to be a paid footballer????
Errrr... why is that?:?

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Its doesnt need to be in arabic,i dont get you?
You brought it up..

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Drama's fall under entertainment though.
So do some documentaries. And besides, a good movie can be far more educational and useful than a certain documentaries.

Eeman
06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zachariasmuslim
slamalekum/as-salamalaikum(wat evr spelling in english) okay i do not know where to post dis topic, but anyway, my sister is 10yrs old, (we r muslims from bangladesh) by watching american teen and kids show my sister is now saying that she wants to be actress and singer in usa.
1st) so is this bad in islam? will she get sins? well i dont think she wants to make her self naked for acting but she'll definetly not be wearing the hijab/scarf. so she shall not be considered as a proper muslim? i dont think my parents r liking the idea but well they r not directly saying anything yet since she is only 10. but if she does become actress+singer will that have a bad effect, in terms of islam, in my parents as well?
2nd)well some ppl have said that it doesnt matter on her occupation as long as she is following islam, namely having faith in allah, praying, donating zakat, having manners and courtesy, knowing suras and etc she is just fine. so provided that she'd do all tat(expect for wearing hijab) will she be then alright?
3rd)im a bit confused some muslims say tat as long as u've got faith in allah and pray u r a muslim, while others say tat a muslim must wear heavy clothes, cannot look at girls, girls/women cannot go outside, cannot talk to a man, muslims also must kill non-muslims and etc. and wat about dudes like sharook khan, salman khan? they're muslims too arnt they? but theyre acting in films and etc so does tat mean they're bad? and mohammad ali also use to box without shirt so does tat also mean he's bad?
Dear sister as far as i am concerned there is absolutely nothing wrong with a muslim sister becoming an actress from my opinion whatsoever...

BUT on the basis that she still keeps your islamic way and does acting jobs based on that, nowadays you get a lot of islamic drama series that have the women still waering their hijab and acting on the screen at the same time yes they may say that it comes under entertainment and it might do but the again if people who actually watch these dramas get the moral and message behind them will understand that majority of these household dramas have an underlying message in them, yes you have crazy things happening (within the households) in them but then again it shows you the reality of this world and what goes on nowadays in a islamic household. And in the end of it all it is always the good that overcomes the evil. so all in all they are not bad and no you do not have inapropriate things going on on the screen like you do with the major movie industries.

but if your sister is being exploited to hollywood and even worse bollywood then no that is not acceptable, saddest thing about these two industries are that the only thing that sells is sex, so i doubt your sister as a practising muslim would 1stly get many jobs if any or become a success let alone have a stable income in these two industries, and as regards shah rukh khan and salman khan i am sorry but from my perspective they are only muslim by name,
you will be absolutely shocked what goes on in bollywood altogether.

I do not think you should be that panicked at this stage make dua for your sister and try to prevent her from watching such channels and programmes.
Insha'Allah as she grows up she will burst out of her little bubble.

SixTen
06-28-2008, 05:32 PM
So do some documentaries. And besides, a good movie can be far more educational and useful than a certain documentaries.
I think you know when a movie would be islamically condoned :P, I think you are bored in this instance. I understand sometimes you found what seemed to be logical was not true, but I can assure you, in this case, it won't!

Ali.
06-28-2008, 05:33 PM
She's still only 10, calm down lol.
But if her opinion doesn't change, I think the advice written by Eeman is good.

SixTen
06-28-2008, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
Hmmmmm... Okaaaaaaaaay!!!
something new i learnt today!!!
so you can play football as a recreational thing but its haram to be a paid footballer????
Errrr... why is that?:?
I would presume is that you are leading people to stare at people playing games - which is no benefit of society - usually entertainment is associated with awayness from worship - so to get paid for it, is most likely the reason its haram.

Ali.
06-28-2008, 05:37 PM
By the way, I also want to add that a person I know at a young age wanted to be a robot when he grew up. He's grown up a bit from that now and changed his mind, so don't worry. :)

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I think you know when a movie would be islamically condoned :P, I think you are bored in this instance. I understand sometimes you found what seemed to be logical was not true, but I can assure you, in this case, it won't!
No, I don't, that's why I'm trying to find out. Up till now I didn't know entertainment such as movies or footbal is haraam. And I don't think all movies fall under entertainment.
anyway, it would be best if you could back up your statements with fatwas or something.

Whatsthepoint
06-28-2008, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
By the way, I also want to add that a person I know at a young age wanted to be a robot when he grew up. He's grown up a bit from that now and changed his mind, so don't worry. :)
lool:D

Eeman
06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I would presume is that you are leading people to stare at people playing games - which is no benefit of society - usually entertainment is associated with awayness from worship - so to get paid for it, is most likely the reason its haram.
Well i find nothing wrong with entertainment, as long as you are steadfast in salah walk on the straight path and strive hard to make Allah swt happy do no one wrong and be a good person then there is no wrong in sitting down for an hour to watch something entertaining on tv, as long as it is nothing forbidden.

Allah swt has made religion easy for us not so hard that it becomes a burden upon us.

'Abd al-Baari
06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
:sl:

This is a Fatwaa from IslamQA

This is one of the issues concerning which the scholars differed; some of them forbid it altogether and some of them permit it, but within the guidelines of sharee’ah. Before we discuss the different views on this matter, we should point out that there is no dispute at all concerning the kind of acting which involves promiscuity and the mixing of men and women, and other kinds of evil actions, which is well-known on the screen. There is no dispute among the scholars concerning the prohibition of such acting.

The kind of acting concerning which there is a difference of opinion is that which is done by two or more people in front of a group of others, using actions and dialogue, in order to teach that group something about Islamic worship or morals, or to help them understand reality and the corruption that exists, or to teach them about the glories of the past, or for purposes of entertainment – in which they may present themselves in a way that differs from the way they really are. This kind of acting must be subject to certain guidelines, as follows:
Continue reading here

With that, i think it would be best if this thread be closed now. There seems to be some off-topicness, and too many opinions rather than backing up with Fatawaa.

If someone would like to add anything, [on topic] please just PM me Insha'Allah :)

:threadclo

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.