/* */

PDA

View Full Version : This should be a rule

manaal
07-29-2008, 05:37 AM
I found this rule in another forum i was browsing and hought it would be good to make it a rule on this forum, or at least a recommendation to members:

1. Quoting the post above you
    You DON'T have to click on the "Quote" button if you're replying to a post immediately above yours. It's a "given" when you reply. You may however quote a single sentence from the post immediately above yours, but PLEASE, not the entire post.
    |
  2. Posting one-word/one-line replies
    If you have nothing important to post, please don't post anything. Leave it to others who may have something beneficial to say. Nothing is worse than a silly topic with silly one-word replies.
I think it would be good to tell the memebrs about #1 above. I have seen memebrs quoting very long posts that are immediately above their own and this reduces the no of posts that are shown on one page and makes the thread go unneccesarily into several pages.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Zaara
07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Selam aleykum,

From the LI forum FAQ:
17.When a long article/post has been posted, and you want to comment on the article/post, do not quote it since it is a waste of space.
When a long article/post has been posted, and you want to comment on the article/post, do not quote it since it is a waste of space. 5% warning
I even think #2 in your post, has been discussed in the Mods room or here in the public forums. Members, if I remember correctly, have been asked to avoid very short posts, or un-beneficial short posts.

But still I think this is a good reminder, for I see it happen often and it is very, very annoying! JazakiAllah kheyr. :thumbs_up

crayon
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
How about when members only post "ameen"?
Like, you have a whole page of posts just saying ameen ameen ameen. Of course it's good to say that after the duaa, but couldn't it just be said, and not typed?
I don't know, it's just a little thing that irritates me a little....:-[

SixTen
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
How about when members only post "ameen"?
Like, you have a whole page of posts just saying ameen ameen ameen. Of course it's good to say that after the duaa, but couldn't it just be said, and not typed?
I don't know, it's just a little thing that irritates me a little....:-[
How else will the post count rise :D

On a positive note, it does promote the thread to be bumped - and potentially viewed by more people :).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
manaal
07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I looked in the rules and couldnt find it. I didnt look properly i suppose.

But lots and lotsa member to the quoting and its so snnoying, specially if they are quoting an very long post, just to give it a comment like "i totally agree with you sis/bro"

crayon
07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
How else will the post count rise :D

On a positive note, it does promote the thread to be bumped - and potentially viewed by more people :).
True, but wouldn't bumping it with an actual comment or something beneficial be better than simply bumping it with "ameen"?

BlissfullyJaded
07-30-2008, 04:30 AM
:sl:

I think when members say ameen, although I don't tend to do it myself much, it kinda makes the thread starter feel good. If a person is in need of dua, and there's not more to be said besides ameen, it's just a nice gesture...

manaal
07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Then why not give a rep with "ameen" rather than just posting the word? I have had reps given saying thankyou by members instead of it being posted on the thread. I do the same.

Woodrow
07-30-2008, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
I found this rule in another forum i was browsing and hought it would be good to make it a rule on this forum, or at least a recommendation to members:

1. Quoting the post above you
    You DON'T have to click on the "Quote" button if you're replying to a post immediately above yours. It's a "given" when you reply. You may however quote a single sentence from the post immediately above yours, but PLEASE, not the entire post.
    |
  2. Posting one-word/one-line replies
    If you have nothing important to post, please don't post anything. Leave it to others who may have something beneficial to say. Nothing is worse than a silly topic with silly one-word replies.
I think it would be good to tell the memebrs about #1 above. I have seen memebrs quoting very long posts that are immediately above their own and this reduces the no of posts that are shown on one page and makes the thread go unneccesarily into several pages.
Regarding rule number 1, we do have that as a rule.

17.When a long article/post has been posted, and you want to comment on the article/post, do not quote it since it is a waste of space.

Since it is often seen as being a very minor offense, many moderators are lax on enforcing it. I will address the mods of each section and remind them to be more aware about enforcing this rule.

Rule number 2 while of value can depend very much on a moderators views. Sometimes a one word reply is the best reply. Although this is often abused and single word replies often are only to increase post count or to bump a thread, overzealous control would be detrimental for some members.
I believe it is far better to let some misuse slip by, rather than run the risk of hurting or discourging those who do so out of sincerity.

However, I will stand behind the decison of any mod who takes action against such a post, if there is reason to believe it is done only to build post count, or to bump a thread.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.