/* */

PDA

View Full Version : similarities between dunya and judgement day

lukes
07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
DO you get a sense that the day of judjement's properties can sometimes be found in the world?

There are certain suras in the koran which I find immanently eschartic/apocyliptic. To me some or the verses putatively about the resurrection or afterlife could just as well be about the present life. I am thinking about 'al qariah'/the calamity, and also 'al zalzala'/the earthquake for instance. It takes a little stretch of the imagination of course, but that's me.

For example 'That day mankind will issue forth in scattered groups to be shown their deeds.'

...well people are found in "scattered groups"

. Then shall anyone who has done an atom's weight of good, see it!And he who has done an atom's weight of evil shall see it. '

...well we "see" our deeds as we act. Our lives could be on "replay", or at least we are stimulated to reflect.

Another example of the crossover betweeen the description of this and judgement day might be the closeness of iqama (standing in readiness for salat) and yawm ul qiyama (day of reserrection), which both stem from the same root.

I am not saying that there is total confusion, just asking if it is acknowledgable that some similarity is there.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
i_m_tipu
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Interesting topics..

U sud give referance of Quran after write anything from it.

lukes
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
thenks for the reply brother, the surahs I have in mind are the calamity and the earthquake.

For instance analysing "The Calamity" one who does good deeds being happy and in comfort, depending on your moral philosophy, could relate to this life (too). I think that morality in it's origin will have been bound up with secular welfare for instance don't steal has practical implications, and so such a stance on morality is valid. In this life doing good has implication for social and therefore one's own welfare.

If we see people as "scatered in groups like moths" then we might get an image of sub cultural norms and values varying across the groups, each with their own "light" they are attracted to, or perhaps all searching after the same light but in different ways. Either way, with an add on from socoilogy, the verse about moths could relate in a poetic sense to society as it is.

As for the Earthquake sura, I expect that this is entirely subjective, but "the earth throwing up it's burdens (people)" to me is a kind of figure for the abiogenesis of homo sapiens seen from and ahistorical, here and now perspective. I have come from the earth, from her belly as it were, even as I stand on her and walk around.

We ask "what ails her?" nowadays in the mode of environmentalist concern, so again that verse could relate to modern times.

Another example of the crossover betweeen the description of this and judgement day might be the closeness of iqama (standing in readiness for salat) and yawm ul qiyama (day of reserrection), which both stem from the same rootmeaning.

cute123
08-02-2008, 11:20 AM
First of all akhee. Guidance is from Allah Tallah. What u r trying to put into words is what ur mind can reach. Plz refer to Tafseer Ibn Katheer for eg- for a better understanding.

http://muslimslibrary.googlepages.com/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lukes
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I used to believe that Muslims sometimes thought for themselves, instead of worshipping the pontifications old scholars.:bump:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.