/* */

PDA

View Full Version : first Ramadan...

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
can anyone give me some tips for my first Ramadan coming up in september? I'm not really sure where to start, what am I supposed to say and do other than fasting from sunrise to sunset?
I'm a bit nervous about it, I want to try my best to fast and I think it would be a great achievement, and also a completely new experience for me... but on the other hand I don't want to end up beating myself up if I really can't manage (I have a fast metabolism and get dizzy even between my 3 daily meals, and also the days will still be quite long here... hmmmm don't want to sound like I'm making excuses...:-[)
any advice would be appreciated!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shible
07-30-2008, 05:49 PM
:sl:

Jazak Allah Sister,

First before starting the Ramadhan.

I have a few Suggestions

Since this is your first Ramadhan. It is that you are gonna Fast for the whole 30 days.

So it is better to start the Fasting on coming weeks. You can observe one or two days Nafil Fasts to know your own health Limits.

Usually We start the Fasting during the Dawn somewhere before 40 to 50 mins before the Fajr Namaaz Azaan.

and we end our Fasting just 20 to 25 mins before the Magrib Namaaz.

and in the middle we are not supposed to drink anything.

You can browse thru this Forum for more detils abt Fasting and it's methodologies

Please check the below link for some general information on Fasting

http://www.soundvision.com/info/ramadan/howfast.asp

http://www.muslimconverts.com/ramadan/ramadan.htm

:w:

Makky
07-30-2008, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shahrazad
can anyone give me some tips for my first Ramadan coming up in september? I'm not really sure where to start, what am I supposed to say and do other than fasting from sunrise to sunset?
I'm a bit nervous about it, I want to try my best to fast and I think it would be a great achievement, and also a completely new experience for me... but on the other hand I don't want to end up beating myself up if I really can't manage (I have a fast metabolism and get dizzy even between my 3 daily meals, and also the days will still be quite long here... hmmmm don't want to sound like I'm making excuses...:-[)
Alhamdulillah Allah has picked you and choose you to be a MUSLIM..what a belssing that we should all thank allah for it for the rest of our lives...

I guess there are many reverts here who can give you advices..

I suggest that you fast 2 days a week from now until 15th of sha'baan(the month before ramadan) but for you in your case don't fast after the 15th of sha'ban for the hadith of the prophet (peace be upon him)

“When Sha’baan is half over, do not fast.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 590.

I also suggest that you fast monday and thrusday because the prophet (PBUH) used to fast them but as i told you stop fasting on 15th of sha'baan..

a great advice (not from me) but from the prophet himself , as It is Sunnah for the fasting person to eat suhoor, because it was proven in al-Saheehayn that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Eat suhoor for in suhoor there is blessing.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1923; Muslim, 1059).

Suhoor : is the meal you eat in the time of sahar (the last third in the night)

check the following link
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/39462

jazaki Allahu khairan

Makky
07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
:
Usually We start the Fasting during the Dawn somewhere before 40 to 50 mins before the Fajr Namaaz Azaan.

and we end our Fasting just 20 to 25 mins before the Magrib Namaaz.

Dear brother ..40 to 50 mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!....well, its OK to eat untill you hear the Athan

Allah said in Surat Al baqara :

وَكُلُواْ وَٱشۡرَبُواْ حَتَّىٰ يَتَبَيَّنَ لَكُمُ ٱلۡخَيۡطُ ٱلۡأَبۡيَضُ مِنَ ٱلۡخَيۡطِ ٱلۡأَسۡوَدِ مِنَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ*ۖ ثُمَّ أَتِمُّواْ ٱلصِّيَامَ إِلَى ٱلَّيۡلِ*ۚ

the translation of the meaning :

and eat and drink until the white thread becometh distinct to you from the black thread of the dawn.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
fatima_01
07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
aww congratulations hope u have a great first ramadhan

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 09:56 PM
shible and Makky, thank you for your advice. it's a good idea to start now 2 days per week, to see how I can manage it. the first few times I might aim to not eat but allow myself a drink of water if I get desperate... or is that completely cheating?
the links look very helpful, thanks :)

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fatima_01
aww congratulations hope u have a great first ramadhan
thank you sister:statisfie

Makky
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
shible and Makky, thank you for your advice. it's a good idea to start now 2 days per week, to see how I can manage it. the first few times I might aim to not eat but allow myself a drink of water if I get desperate... or is that completely cheating?
the links look very helpful, thanks :)
WATER?!

be strong!

you are not weaker than 1.3 billion muslims all over the world...

and remember ...the prophets companions started fasting without being trained in thier childhood... makkah was very very hot....remember and always look to the prophet companions and compare yourself to them..surely your Iman will increase...

I believe you can fast a full day from the 1st trail.

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Makky
WATER?!

be strong!

you are not weaker than 1.3 billion muslims all over the world...

and remember ...the prophets companions started fasting without being trained in thier childhood... makkah was very very hot....remember and always look to the prophet companions and compare yourself to them..surely your Iman will increase...

I believe you can fast a full day from the 1st trail.

you have a point there....:-[
I'll do my best!!
starting from tomorrow! because it's thursday :)

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
hmm...this website says medicines are not allowed when you're fasting... but what about people who take medicine everyday or otherwise they get sick?

I have to take thyroxin every morning in the form of a pill...I need water to swallow it. how will that work? it has to be taken around the same time everyday...

ayan333
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM

Mash ALLAH,i hope everythng goes smoothly..

Fasting isnt easy with at first but whe you realize that your pleasing ALLAH (SWA) then it all of a sudden gets easier

Congrats on everything and May ALLAH (SWA) grant you ease when it come to fasting and all the hardship that this world comes with and may HE grant you success in this life and in the Hereafter.

Makky
07-30-2008, 10:16 PM
you have a point there....:-[
I'll do my best!!
starting from tomorrow! because it's thursday :)
Masha Allah...then don't forget The Suhor meal..and take it as late as you can but don't miss fajr prayer on time.

Makky
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
hmm...this website says medicines are not allowed when you're fasting... but what about people who take medicine everyday or otherwise they get sick?

I have to take thyroxin every morning in the form of a pill...I need water to swallow it. how will that work? it has to be taken around the same time everyday...
how many pills a day?

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
how many pills a day?
just one small one in the morning... I think before sunrise would be too early to take it because I normally take it around 10am

Mr. Baldy
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
salam...

I have the exact same problem... a very fast metabolism! but Alhumdullilah I find that with the grace of Allah you can manage it. Remember that Shaithan is looked up during ramadan so its easier for you to control your nafs. I wouldn't stress to much about it you'll just make yourself feel even worse, embrace it with an open heart and a strong will. inshallah.

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

Mash ALLAH,i hope everythng goes smoothly..

Fasting isnt easy with at first but whe you realize that your pleasing ALLAH (SWA) then it all of a sudden gets easier

Congrats on everything and May ALLAH (SWA) grant you ease when it come to fasting and all the hardship that this world comes with and may HE grant you success in this life and in the Hereafter.

thank you for the support :) I think I'll find it difficult but like you said I just have to keep remembering the reason behind it!

Makky
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
just one small one in the morning... I think before sunrise would be too early to take it because I normally take it around 10am
Is there any problem to take it just before the fajr Athan? do you need to ask the doctor?

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Is there any problem to take it just before the fajr Athan? do you need to ask the doctor?
hmm.... I think it would be too early, about 6 hrs before the normal time I take it. but I'll ask my doc about it...

Makky
07-30-2008, 10:46 PM
hmm.... I think it would be too early, about 6 hrs before the normal time I take it. but I'll ask my doc about it...
many scholars allow medicines by injection during fasting.. check if its ok to take you medicine by injection...i'm not sure what is thyroxin for but i guess that most of (the one pill a day) could be shifted ...but ask the doctor 1st..

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Baldy
salam...

I have the exact same problem... a very fast metabolism! but Alhumdullilah I find that with the grace of Allah you can manage it. Remember that Shaithan is looked up during ramadan so its easier for you to control your nafs. I wouldn't stress to much about it you'll just make yourself feel even worse, embrace it with an open heart and a strong will. inshallah.
:) I always thought fast metabolism was a good thing... till now! it will be a test for me, food is quite important to me!! but I know I shouldn't stress about it too much, I'll just do my best to be strong...

shahrazad
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
many scholars allow medicines by injection during fasting.. check if its ok to take you medicine by injection...i'm not sure what is thyroxin for but i guess that most of (the one pill a day) could be shifted ...but ask the doctor 1st..
it's a hormone, I don't think I can inject it and don't want to!!!+o( not a fan of needles....
during ramadan I can change the time I take it because it'll be the same time for a month.... but for 2 days a week not sure...I'll ask...

al.Ghurabaa'
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Mashallah...

I hope this Ramadan goes all well for you inshallah! This blessed month unites Muslims as one community, fasting together, praying taraweeh together...mashallah. And its the time when our iman starts to increase much more, and our ibadah increases (rewards are multiplied!). Make the most of the days and nights of Ramadan - it only comes once a year (and you never know it could even be your last.)

Allahuma Barek lanna fe Rajab wa Sha'ban, Wa Baleghna Ramadan...

Throughout the day, make consistent ibadah (even repeating eg. 'subhanAllah/astaghfirullah/alhamdullilah/allahuakbar' 100 times while your travelling to work/school/shop). For the nights, try inshAllah to pray tahajjud prayer. you could either eat then pray or pray tahajjud then eat your suhur. The Almighty (swt) descends to the lowest Heaven in the last third part of the night -

"At night there is such a moment in which a Muslim supplicates Allah Ta'ala for the good of this world or the Hereafter, Allah Ta'ala will grant him his request, and this moment appears every night." (Muslim)

"When one third of the night remains our Rabb, Most High, Most Exalted, descends to the first sky and announces, "Who is there to beseech Me that I may answer his prayer and who is there to seek forgiveness that I may forgive him. Then He spreads out His hands (of kindness and mercy) and proclaims, "Who will grant a loan to the One who is neither a destitute or an oppressor." (Muslim)

Carry with you a pocket Qur'an and/or a du'aa/zikr book, so that if your on the bus/waiting for something...you can always just take your Qur'an/book out and start reading. Lets try not to waste any time - We will be asked about every second that we have spent in this world.

I know this is your first Ramadan, and you are quite anxious, but alhamdullilah, you're very determined and with this,may Allah reward you. Engage yourself in dhikr and ibadah at all times...inshallah, I hope it goes well. The first few days can sometimes be quite tiring, but alhamdullilah, we then become used to it - which is why the idea of fasting mons + thurs is a really good one.

May Allah make it easy for you and for all of us...May Allah guide us all on the straight path always, increase us in knowledge and imaan, and grant us Jannatul Firdous...Ameen...

Makky
07-31-2008, 02:53 AM
it's a hormone, I don't think I can inject it and don't want to!!!+o( not a fan of needles....
during ramadan I can change the time I take it because it'll be the same time for a month.... but for 2 days a week not sure...I'll ask...

How about (for the next 17 days)..i'm not saying that you will fast them all but at least you will fast like 4 days -less or more as you wish- untill the 15th of sha'baan..

coddles76
07-31-2008, 03:21 AM
Asalam Alykum Sister

May Allah SWT reward for you sincerity in trying to perform your best and I have added a little article to read which inshAllah you may benefit from it.
May Allah SWT guide you and bless you with a strong Iman

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Sawm (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allaah [i.e. to say Takbeer (Allaahu Akbar: Allaah is the Most Great)] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him.”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

This blessed month is a great opportunity for goodness, barakah (blessing), worship and obedience towards Allaah.

It is a great month, a noble season, a month in which hasanaat (rewards for good deeds) are multiplied and in which committing sayi’aat (bad deeds) is more serious than at other times. The gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are shut, and the sinners’ repentance to Allaah is accepted. It is a month whose beginning is mercy, its middle is forgiveness and its end is redemption from the Fire.

So give thanks to Him for the season of goodness and blessing that He has bestowed upon you, and for the means of bounty and various kinds of great blessings for which He has singled you out. Make the most of this blessed time by filling it with acts of worship and forsaking haraam things, so that you may attain a good life in this world and happiness after death.

For the sincere believer, every month is an occasion for worship and his whole life is spent in obeying Allaah, but in the month of Ramadaan he has even more motives to do good and his heart is even more focused on worship, and he turns even more to his Lord. By His grace, our generous Lord bestows His bounty upon the fasting believers and multiplies the reward for them on this blessed occasion, so He gives abundantly and rewards generously for righteous deeds.

Time passes quickly
Days pass so quickly, as if they were mere moments. We welcomed Ramadaan, then we bade it farewell, and only a short period of time passed and we are welcoming Ramadaan again. So we should hasten to do good deeds in this month and strive to fill it with that which Allaah is pleased with and with that which will help us on the Day when we meet Him.

How can we prepare for Ramadaan?

We can prepare for Ramadaan by taking stock of ourselves and recognizing our shortcomings in living up to the Shahaadatayn, or our shortcoming in fulfilling our duties, or our shortcomings in not keeping away from the desires and doubts that we may have fallen into…

We should set ourselves straight so that in Ramadaan we will have a higher degree of faith. For faith increases and decreases. It increases through obedience to Allaah and it decreases through disobedience and sin. The first act of obedience that a person should achieve is that of being a true slave of Allaah and believing that there is none that is rightfully worshipped except Allaah, so he directs all kinds of worship to Allaah and does not associate anyone else in worship with Him. Each of us should realize that whatever has befallen him could not have missed him, and whatever missed him could not have befallen him, and that everything happens by the will and decree of Allaah.

We should avoid everything that could undermine our commitment to the Shahaadatayn. This means keeping away from bid’ah (innovations) and things that have been introduced into the religion. We should also follow the principle of al-walaa’ wa’l-bara’ (loyalty and friendship vs. disavowal and enmity), by taking the believers as our friends and by regarding the kaafirs and hypocrites as enemies, and we should rejoice when the Muslims gain a victory over their enemies. We should follow the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions and adhere to the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the way of the Rightly-Guided Khulafa’ who came after him. We should love the Sunnah and love those who adhere to it and defend it, in whatever country they are and whatever colour or nationality they are.

After that we should take stock of ourselves and recognize our shortcomings in doing acts of worship such as praying in congregation, remembering Allaah (dhikr), paying attention to the rights of neighbours, relatives and the Muslims, spreading the greeting of salaam, enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil, urging one another to follow the truth and be patient and steadfast in doing so, being patient in avoiding evil actions and in doing good deeds, and accepting the decree of Allaah with patience.

Then we should take stock of ourselves and our sins and our following whims and desires. We should stop ourselves from persisting in that, whether the sin is great or small, whether it is a sin of the eye, by looking at that which Allaah has forbidden; or by listening to music; or by walking to things of which Allaah does not approve; or by using one's hands to srike in a manner with which Allaah is not pleased; or by consuming things that Allaah has forbidden such as riba (usury) and bribes, or any other means of consuming people’s wealth unlawfully.

We should never forget that Allaah stretches forth His hand during the day to accept the repentance of those who sinned at night, and He stretches forth His hand at night to accept the repentance of those who sinned during the day. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And march forth in the way (which leads to) forgiveness from your Lord, and for Paradise as wide as the heavens and the earth, prepared for Al-Muttaqoon (the pious).

Those who spend (in Allaah’s Cause) in prosperity and in adversity, who repress anger, and who pardon men; verily, Allaah loves Al-Muhsinoon (the good‑doers).

And those who, when they have committed Faahishah (illegal sexual intercourse) or wronged themselves with evil, remember Allaah and ask forgiveness for their sins; — and none can forgive sins but Allaah — and do not persist in what (wrong) they have done, while they know.

For such, the reward is forgiveness from their Lord, and Gardens with rivers flowing underneath (Paradise), wherein they shall abide forever. How excellent is this reward for the doers (who do righteous deeds according to Allaah’s Orders)”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:133-136]

“Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Zumar 39:53]

“And whoever does evil or wrongs himself but afterwards seeks Allaah’s forgiveness, he will find Allaah Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Nisa’ 4:110]

By taking stock, repenting and seeking forgiveness, this is how we should welcome Ramadaan. “The smart man is the one who takes stock of himself and strives to do that which will benefit him after death, and the helpless one is the one who follows his own whims and desires and engages in wishful thinking, (assuming that Allaah will forgive him regardless of what he does and that he does not need to strive to good deeds).”

The month of Ramadaan is the month of great gains and profits. The smart trader is the one who makes the most of special occasions to increase his profits. So make the most of this month by doing lots of acts of worship, praying a great deal, reading Qur’aan, forgiving people, being kind to others and giving charity to the poor.

In the month of Ramadaan the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are shut. The devils are put in chains and a caller cries out each night, O seeker of good, proceed, O seeker of evil, desist.

So, O slaves of Allaah, be among the people of good, following the path of your righteous forebears who were guided by the Sunnah of your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so that we may end Ramadaan with our sins forgiven and our righteous deeds accepted.

We should note that the month of Ramadaan is the best of months.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Another of example of that – i.e., of the differentiation between the things that Allaah has created – is the fact that the month of Ramadaan is superior to all other months, and the last ten nights are superior to the other nights.”

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/56

This month is superior to others in four things:

1 – In it there is the best night of the year, which is Laylat al-Qadr. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’aan) down in the Night of Al‑Qadr (Decree).

And what will make you know what the Night of Al‑Qadr (Decree) is?

The Night of Al‑Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibreel (Gabriel)] by Allaah’s Permission with all Decrees,

(All that night), there is peace (and goodness from Allaah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn”

[al-Qadar 97:1-5]

So worship on this night is better than worshipping for a thousand months.

2 – In this month was revealed the best of Books to the best of the Prophets (peace be upon them). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong)”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

“We sent it (this Qur’aan) down on a blessed night [(i.e. the Night of Al‑Qadr) in the month of Ramadan — the 9th month of the Islamic calendar]. Verily, We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torment will reach those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of worship].

Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments.

As a Command (or this Qur’aan or the Decree of every matter) from Us. Verily, We are ever sending (the Messengers)”

[al-Dukhaan 44:3-5]

It was narrated by Ahmad and by al-Tabaraani in al-Mu’jam al-Kabeer that Waathilah ibn al-Asqa’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Scriptures of Ibraaheem were sent down on the first of the month of Ramadaan. The Tawraat was sent down on the sixth of Ramadaan. The Injeel was sent down on the thirteenth of Ramadaan. The Zaboor was sent down on the eighteenth of Ramadaan, and the Qur’aan was sent down on the twenty-fourth of Ramadaan.

Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 1575.

2 – In this month the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are shut, and the devils are chained up.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Ramadan comes, the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are closed, and the devils are put in chains.” (Agreed upon).

Al-Nasaa’i narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Ramadaan comes, the gates of mercy are opened and the gates of Hell are shut, and the devils are put in chains.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 471.

Al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah and Ibn Khuzaymah narrated in one report: “When the first night of the month of Ramadaan comes, the devils and rebellious jinn are chained up and the gates of Hell are closed, and not one gate of it is opened. The gates of Paradise are opened and not one gate of it is closed. And a caller cries out: ‘O seeker of good, proceed; O seeker of evil, desist. And Allaah has those whom He redeems from the Fire, and that happens every night.”

Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 759.

If it is asked, how come we see many evil actions and sins committed in Ramadaan, for if the devils are chained up that would not happen?

The answer is that evil actions become less for those who observe the conditions and etiquette of fasting;

or that the ones who are chained up are some of the devils – namely the rebellious ones – not all of them;

or that what is meant is that evil is reduced in Ramadaan, which is a proven fact. If evil happens at this time, it is still less than at other times. Even if all of them (the devils) are chained up, that does not necessarily mean that no evil or sin will happen, because there are other causes of that besides the devils, such as evil souls, bad habits and the devils among mankind. Al-Fath, 4/145

4 – There are many kinds of worship in Ramadaan, some of which are not done at other times, such as fasting, praying qiyaam, feeding the poor, i’tikaaf, sadaqah, and reading Qur’aan.

I ask Allaah, the Exalted, the Almighty, to help us all to do that and to help us to fast and pray qiyaam, and to do acts of worship and to avoid doing evil. Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds.

Umu 'Isa
07-31-2008, 06:29 AM
:salamext:

Congrats sis on coming to Islaam.

My advice to you for the upcoming Ramadan is, learn about Ramadan, learn why we fast and the benefits of fasting, learn about the rewards of fasting. This is what helped me fast my first Ramadan alhamdulillah. May Allaah make it easy for you ameen :)

Also when you feel like you cannot fast an entire day, you can remember those less fortunate than you, who don't have any food to break their fast with. Remember it is just food and you won't die if you fast half a day.

Allll of the above is what helps me get through Ramadan :)

Regarding the pill you have to take, could you slowly slowly start making the time earlier and earlier from now until Ramadan?

Mr. Baldy
07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
:) I always thought fast metabolism was a good thing... till now! it will be a test for me, food is quite important to me!! but I know I shouldn't stress about it too much, I'll just do my best to be strong...
Im sure you can find some sort of slow release energy tablet, milkshake or something like that...

julie sarri
07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
The best thing to do is make du'a to Allah [swt] for his help i.e keeping you strong and healthy during ramadan and also making it easy for you this never fails for me i make du'a just before the start of ramadan. Alhamdulillah and i get threw it with out issue as i take 10 pills every day i have diabetices which i take pills for and also other health problems eating is also importent for me but even though people try and tell me not to fast i always get threw ok i also start fasting a couple of weeks before like some one said i fasted a couple of days in rajab and also i will fast for shaban which helps me get used to it before hand i also make sure i wake up to eat in the morning during ramadan about 40 mintues befor fajr and take my frist pills i do cut down on the number of pills i take during ramadan but my docter keeps a close eye and it has always been fine inshaallah i hope you have a great first ramadan and many more to come

shahrazad
07-31-2008, 11:25 PM
al.Ghurabaa, coddles, Umu'Isa and julie sarri, thank you so much for your advice and support. it's invaluable to me and I'm getting a printout of all this to keep on file and refer back to when the time comes for the 'real deal'...ramadan!! I feel a lot more at ease about it now and more confident that I can do it. also because I fasted today for the first time!! it was not as difficult as I thought...of course, I did get dizzy and had a headache, and today I worked at home which I suppose is not as challenging as being out and about with no food in my belly! but I kept remembering why I was doing it, and I now have a taste of some of the benefits...it does inspire one to think about God, elevates the spiritual self while making the physical less important. not only that but it made me feel like I'm much more in control of myself than I thought. and when I had my first bite (9 o'clock sharp) I really felt like I was tasting it, and was grateful for it :) in fact I had a bit too much to eat in one go...iftar is not meant to be a big 3 course meal is it? :D

shahrazad
07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
oh..about the meds I take, I think I'll start to make the time earlier to prepare myself...that's a good idea... but till then, I think I'll have to cheat a bit and take it with a sip of water in the morning on the days I'll be fasting. I'm too scared about getting my hormones messed up, since it always takes a while for the levels to settle if I start making changes to how much I take and what time...

Makky
08-01-2008, 04:43 AM
but I kept remembering why I was doing it, and I now have a taste of some of the benefits...it does inspire one to think about God, elevates the spiritual self while making the physical less important. not only that but it made me feel like I'm much more in control of myself than I thought. and when I had my first bite (9 o'clock sharp) I really felt like I was tasting it, and was grateful for it :) in fact I had a bit too much to eat in one go...iftar is not meant to be a big 3 course meal is it? :D
Jazaki Allahu kharian sister... i wish All (born muslims) read what you wrote..subhan Allah! You got it yourself ...But Allah (suhanahu wa' ta3ala) Said it before
:

يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيۡڪُمُ ٱلصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبۡلِڪُمۡ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَتَّقُونَ

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off (evil); (183)

another translation :

O ye who believe! fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you that ye may (learn) self-restraint.

shahrazad
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Jazaki Allahu kharian sister... i wish All (born muslims) read what you wrote..subhan Allah! You got it yourself ...But Allah (suhanahu wa' ta3ala) Said it before
:

يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيۡڪُمُ ٱلصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبۡلِڪُمۡ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَتَّقُونَ

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off (evil); (183)

another translation :

O ye who believe! fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you that ye may (learn) self-restraint.

wow! I must've read the Qur'an before in a past life...:D

Makky
08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Allah said in the Quran:

أَلَا يَعۡلَمُ مَنۡ خَلَقَ وَهُوَ ٱللَّطِيفُ ٱلۡخَبِيرُ surat Al mulk verse14

Should He not know what He created? And He is the Subtile, the Aware.

Allah did creat us and He -Glory to him- knows what will make us righteous and pious , For that we believe in his obedience and submission

al.Ghurabaa'
08-02-2008, 12:17 PM
al.Ghurabaa, coddles, Umu'Isa and julie sarri, thank you so much for your advice and support. it's invaluable to me and I'm getting a printout of all this to keep on file and refer back to when the time comes for the 'real deal'...ramadan!! I feel a lot more at ease about it now and more confident that I can do it. also because I fasted today for the first time!! it was not as difficult as I thought...of course, I did get dizzy and had a headache, and today I worked at home which I suppose is not as challenging as being out and about with no food in my belly! but I kept remembering why I was doing it, and I now have a taste of some of the benefits...it does inspire one to think about God, elevates the spiritual self while making the physical less important. not only that but it made me feel like I'm much more in control of myself than I thought. and when I had my first bite (9 o'clock sharp) I really felt like I was tasting it, and was grateful for it :) in fact I had a bit too much to eat in one go...iftar is not meant to be a big 3 course meal is it? :D
MashAllah!! Alhamdullilah!! Congrats sis! You did it once...you sure can do it again IA!! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Alhamdullilah, I'm so happy for you! Im still a limited member so sadly, I can't give you a rep..

Germanrose20
08-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Salaam Aleikum Sister,

Alhamdullilah you made it through your first day! I am observing fast today and I am in the same boat you are, this is my first Ramadan where I will Insha'Allah be able to fast the entire time.
Last Ramadan I was under the impression that if I just take a sip of water then it would still be fine until my sister informed me otherwise. Now that I know that it is not the correct way, I am hoping this Ramadan with Allah (swt) help I will be able to fast correctly.
I am looking forward to Insha'Allah hearing more from you sister...

shahrazad
08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Germanrose20
Salaam Aleikum Sister,

Alhamdullilah you made it through your first day! I am observing fast today and I am in the same boat you are, this is my first Ramadan where I will Insha'Allah be able to fast the entire time.
Last Ramadan I was under the impression that if I just take a sip of water then it would still be fine until my sister informed me otherwise. Now that I know that it is not the correct way, I am hoping this Ramadan with Allah (swt) help I will be able to fast correctly.
I am looking forward to Insha'Allah hearing more from you sister...
wa alaykum assalam sister, I hope your fast was ok the other day. it's good to hear I'm not the only one who will be struggling with this for the first time! I'm preparing to fast tomorrow as I didn't do so yesterday, it's tough but definitely gives me a sense of strength. I hope Allah makes it easier for us as we get used to it (if that is possible) :)

also something strange happened. I have been looking for a job for the past almost 2 months, applying for loads and getting slightly desperate...I got advice from everywhere I could think of, tried different things but with no results. but last week there was a flood of phonecalls and emails inviting me for interviews.... I didn't make the connection, but my friend pointed out that it was after the first day I fasted! seems like I just needed to prove that my willpower is strong, so that my prayers would be heard...hmmmm

newsister
08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Salaam Aleikum Sister:sl:
this is also my First Ramadan am unsure if i am to fast or not as i have a long term illness called Fibromyalgia (FMS) . it means i am drained all the time 24/7
can some one please guide me with this

thank you

Makky
08-31-2008, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by newsister
Salaam Aleikum Sister:sl:
this is also my First Ramadan am unsure if i am to fast or not as i have a long term illness called Fibromyalgia (FMS) . it means i am drained all the time 24/7
can some one please guide me with this

thank you
May Allah grant you fast Sheefa' , insha Allah you are in my prayers..

I tried to read about Fibromyalgia but i think i'd rather ask you directly about symptoms so I can ask on your behalf or maybe i can answer you..

please in your answer describe what would happen if you didn't eat or drin or didn't take your medical dose in time?

if you don't want to talk about it on public, anynonmous account is available on this forum and private message is another option.

BNDGR
09-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Asalam aliakum Shahrazad,
MashaAllah on your first Ramadhan fast, this will be my first also.
I go to Halaqa's here in my area and the sisters are so incredible, and we practiced fasting one Monday. I was worried too, but Allah made it easy for me, and InshAllah he will make it easy for us to do. Also knowing that millions of other brothers and sisters will be doing this also for the sake of Allah is incredible.
Take care.

newsister
09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
if i dont eat i become weaker i have to take painkillers for pain as well the pain is Chronic and some time unbearable with out the painkillers
i also have to sleep during the day as well to help me feel less weak

Makky
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
if i dont eat i become weaker i have to take painkillers for pain as well the pain is Chronic and some time unbearable with out the painkillers
I'm sorry sister for the delay , i just read your reply today

I searched google and i read about fibromyalgia
did you mean by ( drained all the time) that you are fatigued all the time ?
forgive my misundertanding , English isn't my mother tongue I'm an arab.

Now this is your 3rd day in ramadan, how were the past three days?

Makky
09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Please sister add this website to your fav. its very beneficial : www.islam-qa.com

the answer to your question:

What is the sickness which permits a fasting person to break his fast?
What is the sickness which permits a fasting person to break his fast in Ramadaan? Is it permissible to break the fast for any sickness even if it is minor?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Most of the scholars – including the four imams – are of the view that the sick person is not allowed to break his fast in Ramadaan unless the sickness is severe.

What is meant by severe sickness is:

1- The sickness will be made worse by fasting

2- Recovery will be delayed by fasting

3- Fasting will cause intense hardship, even if it does not make the sickness worse or delay recovery

4- The scholars also included those who fear that they may become sick because of fasting.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (4/403):

The kind of sickness in which it is permitted to break the fast is intense sickness which will be made worse by fasting or it is feared that recovery will be delayed. It was said to Ahmad: When can the sick person break his fast? He said, When he unable to fast. It was said, Such as a fever? He said, What sickness is worse than fever?

The healthy person who fears that he may become sick if he fasts is like the sick person who fears that his sickness may get worse, they are both permitted to break their fasts, because the sick person is permitted to break his fast because of the fear that his fasting may make his sickness worse and last for longer, and the fear that fasting may cause sickness is similar to that.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’, 6/261:

The person who is unable to fast because of a sickness which he hopes will go away is not obliged to fast… This applies if he encounters obvious difficulty in fasting and is not subject to the condition that he reaches a point when he is unable to fast. Rather our companions said: The permission not to fast is subject to the condition that fasting causes him difficulties that it is hard for him to bear.”

Some of the scholars were of the view that it is permissible for every sick person to break his fast and that it is not essential that fasting cause them hardship.

This is an odd view which was rejected by the scholars.

Al-Nawawi said:

With regard to the person who is slightly sick and who does not suffer any obvious hardship, it is not permissible for him to break his fast, and there is no difference of opinion among us concerning that.

Al-Majmoo’, 6/261

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The sick person who is not affected by fasting, such as one who has a slight cold or headache, or a slight toothache and the like, is not permitted to break his fast. Even though some of the scholars allow that because of the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“…and whoever is ill …”

[al-Baqarah 2:185],

we say that the ruling mentioned in this verse is connected to a condition, which is when breaking the fast will relieve him of hardhsip, but if fasting does not affect him, then it is not permissible for him to break the fast, and he has to fast.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/352.

source

newsister
09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
yes i get fatigued even sleep dont help it

i have good days and bad with this the last few days i have been even more fatigued i have not fasted i have been praying and reading the Quarn

my painkillers only take part of my pain away with out them it would be unbearable it is an long term illness that i may have for a long time
as i have read that it can get worse and better but not cured .

thank you brother for the link and all the information that you have posted
and replying

Makky
09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
No sister you are wrong , You can get cured.

“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah has sent down the disease and the cure, and has made for every disease the cure. So treat sickness, but do not use anything haraam’” (Reported by Abu Dawood, 3376),
The Bedouin said, “O Messenger of Allaah, should we not treat sickness?” He said: “Treat sickness, for Allaah has not created any disease except He has also created the cure, except for one disease.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, what is it?” He said: “Old age.”’” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 4/383, no. 1961. He said: This is a saheeh hasan hadeeth)
I'm going to the Traweeh prayer now and insha Allah i'll be back to clear it more isha Allah.

Makky
09-05-2008, 04:03 AM
yes i get fatigued even sleep dont help it

i have good days and bad with this the last few days i have been even more fatigued i have not fasted i have been praying and reading the Quarn

my painkillers only take part of my pain away with out them it would be unbearable it is an long term illness that i may have for a long time

thank you brother for the link and all the information that you have posted
and replying

Sister! I just want you to know that every moment and every single second passes while you are suffering this illness insha Allah you will get rewarded for it in the next life.

It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri and Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No tiredness, exhaustion, worry, grief, distress or harm befalls a believer in this world, not even a thorn that pricks him, but Allaah expiates some of his sins thereby.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5318 and Muslim, 2573.

Sister you Must trust Allah, if your choice is patience then insha Allah you will be rewarded a great reward

It was narrated that ‘Ata’ ibn Abi Rabaah said: Ibn ‘Abbaas said to me: Shall I not show you a woman who is one of the people of Paradise? He said: Yes. He said: This black woman came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “I suffer from epilepsy and I become uncovered. Pray to Allaah for me.” He said: “If you wish, you can be patient and Paradise will be yours, or if you wish I will pray to Allaah to heal you.” She said, “I will be patient.” Then she said: “But I become uncovered. Pray to Allaah that I will not become uncovered.” So he prayed for her.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5652; Muslim, 2576.

And you Must know that seeking cure is not a bad thing , Now sister if you want cure you Must Trust Allah and to Follow the procedure.

and the procedure of cure for any Illness is to 1-Trsut Allah and ask him to heal you 2- take medicine .

and in this case (fibromyalgia) medicine are just painkillers. so what we should learn is how to trust Allah ,how to ask him and how to supplicate .

newsister
09-05-2008, 06:21 AM
thank you brother i will pray to Allah to heal me and to heal others who are also ill and i will keep taken my painkillers

Makky
09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
thank you brother i will pray to Allah to heal me and to heal others who are also ill and i will keep taken my painkillers
I didn't say Don't take your painkiller, did I?

Do you know times of Supplication acceptation?<<<< this is the most important point want to refer to.

newsister
09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I didnt say that you didnt say that :(
i know what you meant brother when am in prayer to Allah

Makky
09-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Oh ok, forgive my misunderstanding

I know you might have a feeling of depression due to this illness, for this reason insha Allah I'll do my best to collect Dua' (supplication) decencies and fruits. I won't talk about legends or myths. I'll talk about facts.

one of these facts is that we Muslims are certain of the Almighty , we are sure of his power to do what he want ,He do what he wills in anytime he wills .

another Fact is that Allah is All hearer

verse (186) from surat Albaqara : When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them); I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me; let them also with a will listen to My call and believe in Me; that they may walk in the right way. (186)

Insha Allah I'll post some conditions of Dua' (supplication) being accepted by Allah

but excuse me , I'm not going to post them one shot.

For now this is my advice to you : work on your heart , strength your certainty of Allah's might increase your sure of his power and mercy this is the most important thing in supplication.

Assalam Alykum for now.

Makky
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Assalam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Happy Eid insha Allaah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.