/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Peace in the Qur'an

Kernel Sanders
07-31-2008, 05:57 AM
I am currently embroiled in a debate with somebody who is of the unfortunate opinion that Islam encourages extremism. In his most recent statement he has put forth the following

There is nothing in the Koran which prohibits anyone from interpreting the Koran in an extremist way.
By which he means that there are no passages that disagree with or contradict those that extremists use to justify violence. I know that this is a ridiculous statement, and that there are many, many passages promoting peace, but I do not know the Qur'an well enough to provide anything concrete.

Can anybody help me out?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Imam
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Noble Quran

2.190. Fight against those who fight against you in the way of God, but do not transgress, for God does not love transgressors.

[060:008] God forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loveth those who are just.

2.194. The sacred month for the sacred month; sanctities should be respected alike ( by all concerned). Thus, if someone has attacked you, attack him just as he attacked you, and fear God and remain conscious that God is with those who guard against violating the bounds set by Him.

[008:061] But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in God: for He is One that heareth and knoweth (all things).

IbnAbdulHakim
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
to me, verses like this are enough:

Tafsir al-Jalalayn

{ وَإِنَّ مِنْهُمْ لَفَرِيقاً يَلْوُونَ أَلْسِنَتَهُمْ بِٱلْكِتَابِ لِتَحْسَبُوهُ مِنَ ٱلْكِتَابِ وَمَا هُوَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَيَقُولُونَ هُوَ مِنْ عِنْدِ اللًّهِ وَمَا هُوَ مِنْ عِندِ ٱللَّهِ وَيَقُولُونَ عَلَى ٱللَّهِ ٱلْكَذِبَ وَهُمْ يَعْلَمُونَ }

And there is a group, a party, of them, the People of the Scripture, like Ka‘b b. al-Ashraf, who twist their tongues with the Book, altering it by reciting it not according to the way in which it was revealed, but according to the way in which they have distorted it, as in the case of the descriptions of the Prophet (s) and other similar matters; so that you may suppose it, such distortion, as part of the Book, that God revealed; yet it is not part of the Book; and they say, ‘It is from God’, yet it is not from God, and they speak falsehood against God, while they know, that they are liars.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.