/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do Muslims do enough for Islam's reputation?

SweetDiamond
08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi all,

I came here to ask about what social laws I should be aware of while staying in Islamic countries. But I saw this section and couldn't resist posting a question which has been bothering me for a while.

It's simply this, do you think Muslims do enough to publicly condemn violent acts that are performed in the name of Islam? I've asked this before on another forum ages ago, and I must admit I was a little baffled by the response. Which seemed to be generally that Muslims shouldn't have to prove anything. I can see this point of view, and it seems fair enough and I can't as such argue against it. But I would say that in today's climate, with all the negative press Islam receives, that a good PR campaign focusing on the positive of Islam, could only be of benefit to everyone.

I'm agnostic myself, and as such have respect for all religions even if I don't follow them. I'm also speaking from a British point of view, and as such can't speak for how Islam is portrayed in other countries. But it does strike me as worry that the western media is quick to report negative stories either about Muslims or Islam in general, and political parties like the BNP are quick to exploit them, as well as web sites like http://www.talkbritain.co.uk.

Of course, it could be that Muslim peers are already trying to launch a positive PR campaign for Islam, but the media isn't interested. The only place I've seen a positive move like this, was when Al-Jazeera launched their English speaking News Channel, I know Bush has effectively banned it from America, and it only appears in the backwaters of SKY TV in the UK though. Of course though, Al-Jazeera's agenda fits a bigger picture, which is to show a lot of good aspects from the middle-east in general.

So does anyone agree more could be done to show non-Muslims that Islam is a peaceful religion, and that it is perfectly capable of living along-side Western culture?

I hope my questions and thought don't come across as naive or bigoted, I ask with the greatest respect and long to see a world where people of any religion, creed, or colour, can live in acceptance of each other and their differences, and therefore peacfully.
:peace:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brother_Mujahid
08-05-2008, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SweetDiamond
and long to see a world where people of any religion, creed, or colour, can live in acceptance of each other and their differences, and therefore peacfully.
:peace:
this is what muslims believe. They also did live amongst other faiths harmoniously for many centuries in palestine.

i'll post up a few more things tomorrow morning, today rather.

coddles76
08-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Islam is to submit to Allah in His Oneness (Monotheism) to be subservient to Him in obedience, and to shun associating any partners, rivals, and intercessors with Him. It is a religion of tolerance and ease.
Islam is a religion through which one would be spiritually contented and would have peace of heart.
Islam is a religion of mercy and compassion.
Islam is a religion of love and loving good for others. Islam is a religion which has no confusion or ambiguity associated with it.
Islam is a religion for all, for it is a call directed to mankind at large, not to a specific race or people.
Islam is a religion which effaces all previous sins.
Islam is a complete and perfect religion which abrogated all revelations, and it is the last religion.
Islam comprises a number of acts of worship, among which are verbal, physical and creedal acts of worship.
These acts of worship play an important role in refining one's manners, purifying one's soul, reforming an individual, and maintaining the integrity and unity of Muslim society.

This is Islam, so to be a MUSLIM you must adhere to all these attributes of being a muslim. Islam and Muslims and two seperate entities. Islam is the way of life and a MUSLIM is someone who adheres to that way of life.
Muslims around the world are humans and humans are prone to make errors but a muslim who always comes back to the message of islam will always be amongst the good people of society. Once someone leaves islam behind there backs they will in effect become corrupt in society. There are many around the world who have a corrupt view of the true religion of islam so as a result will have corrupt actions towards society. Once someone understands to the true message of islam and by the mercy of ALLAH SWT allows it to flow through there hearts, that person will become a responsible and active member of society

crayon
08-05-2008, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SweetDiamond
Of course, it could be that Muslim peers are already trying to launch a positive PR campaign for Islam, but the media isn't interested.
Bingo. Muslims condemning terrorism doesn't make headlines, even though it happens more frequently than one might think. Check this link out: http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.