/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Exercising and the gym during Ramadan

MaiCarInMtl
08-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Assalamu alaikum everyone,

I will be partaking in the fasting during the month Ramadan again this year. I really felt I got a lot out of it last year and so I decided to join in every year (hopefully this year I can do it as a Muslim, inshallah).

I have been going to the gym regularly for 2 months now, mainly for weight lifting (and cardio when my mind can deal with the mind-numbing boringness that is cardio). I don't want all the hard work I have done so far to just disappear over the course of my month of fasting simply because I stopped going.

I just wanted to know, if any of you go to the gym, what are your tricks when Ramadan comes around? Do you usually find you have enough energy to do your workouts in the evening even though you have been fasting all day? Or do you find it is better to work out first thing in the morning (but do you still have enough energy to get through the day after)?

I'd just like to get as much input as possible. Thank you for your help!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MaiCarInMtl
08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Does the lack of responses mean that no one on this board goes to the gym?

crayon
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I personally don't go to the gym, but I find that if I eat a lot at iftar time, I'm exhausted at night.

Perhaps having a light iftar and then going to the gym, then coming back and eating some more would be good?

Al-Zaara
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Aleykum selam, MCIM!

I did go occassionally and it wasn't too bad after iftar, but I did go an hour later or so and was there a shorter amount of time than I would have been if it wasn't Ramazan. I mean, I needed the energy for the next day. In the morning I never had time to go, school started early, but I'd say go for it, but shorten the amount of time than usual.

I personally don't get so tired in the evening, in fact, just before iftar I'm at my strongest elhamdulillah. :D

InshaAllah you'll have an pleasent Ramazan this year!! :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
yo! a sister who does weightlifting it doesn't get better than that does it :) sister my advice would be if you have been training for 2 months and want to maintain the physique that you have built in that time then i would suggest to go to the gym after iftar leaving about 1 and half to 2 hours in between, then just train for 45 minutes max ,doing light weights and more reps and in that way you can maintain your physique,you might lose mass but then it will be easier to gain that mass again after ramadan but if you quit during ramadan then it will be twice as hard to gain the mass back

Hope that helps

UmmSqueakster
08-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Wa alaikum assalam wr wb,

Ramadan is my nemesis when it comes to my fitness. I always do great in the spring, building up my miles, and I set a goal to do a spring half marathon the next year. Then Ramadan comes and bam! I lose everything. It usually takes me a few months to get back on track, and the entire cycle repeats itself.

As always, I'm resolving that this year will be different. Let's see if I can actually stick to it eh? I am suspending my gym membership, but I'm going to do what I can to keep things stable, or only in slight decline. During my lunch hour, I'm going to walk a few miles. In the evening before maghrib, I'm going to walk a few miles. After maghrib, when we break our fast, I'm going to do some weight lifting at home, maybe an exercise dvd if I can work up the energy.

If maghrib weren't so late (it will probably be at 8 pm here in Minnesota), I'd eat a light iftar and then go to the gym. Maybe once we cycle through the year and Ramadan falls in winter again I'll do that. Of course, that's really planning ahead, ha.

My husband grew up in Egypt, and he says that when he was a teen, he would play soccer for 2 hours before maghrib, and then break his fast. I personally can't see how I could do that, since I alwyas have to hydrate throughout my runs and while I'm lifting.

Al-Zaara
08-06-2008, 03:15 PM
MashaAllah sis Janaan, inshaAllah you'll succeed! :thumbs_up

My husband grew up in Egypt, and he says that when he was a teen, he would play soccer for 2 hours before maghrib, and then break his fast.
Two years back I did that aswell, but playing basket with my girls-team. lol I only drink afterwards, never during the training, I'm used to it like that and that's how I do it until today. I get thirsty first hours later. :exhausted

crayon
08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Ramadan used to come during volleyball season for me, so I used to play games and have practices while fasting. Most of the other people on the team weren't muslim so they didn't really mind, but my body sort of adapted eventually, I guess, and it wasn't so bad..

MaiCarInMtl
08-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow! I can't believe I suddenly got all these replies. Thank you everyone!

It seems the concensus is shortly after fast breaking. I will be breaking fast around 7:30 at the beginning of Ramadan, hopefully I can make it to the gym before they shut down for the night (it's times like this I really wish the YMCA were open 24/7).

But I guess I could also try a few am workouts before work and some just after work.

I might just have to cut out cardio... (PS I detest cardio!) I guess I will have to stick to higher reps and lower weights during that time, maybe even drop my current weights. Thankfully, I am not currently doing any power lifting these days - that would totally kill me during Ramadan. The only sad part is that I might lose my workout buddy during that month as it seems they don't think they'll be able to take it (except perhaps on the weekend).

As for the people who do hours of sports in the last few hours before breaking fast... you guys are brave!

qassy!
08-06-2008, 06:32 PM
The Gym I go to closes @ 10PM, so um....ill be breaking fast about 8ish then go about 9ish

MaiCarInMtl
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
The Gym I go to closes @ 10PM, so um....ill be breaking fast about 8ish then go about 9ish
Yeah, that's the thing, my gym closes around 9:30 or 10. If I am breaking fast along, I can eat, rush over to the gym for :00 pr 8:30 but most of my workouts take about 60-90 minutes of weights only (depends on the body part split I am doing).

One of the Y's I go to is in a very ethnically mixed area though (it has to be one of the most diverse neighbourhoods in Montreal with a very large muslim population), maybe I can somehow bug them into trying to be a bit more leanient when it comes to chasing people out of the locker rooms about 20 minutes before the place closes down... Here's to hoping they'll go for it.

Nájlá
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
i used to go and play football with my team and i used to get soo thirsty. but i used mange alhamdulah.

Faye
08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I know my brothers play football (soccer for americans) after Asr, even in Ramadaan.

And we girls usually go walking or bicycling to the park ... we are more sedate.

Its bad the first two days, but you get used to it by the third day.

qassy!
08-09-2008, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
I know my brothers play football (soccer for americans) after Asr, even in Ramadaan.

And we girls usually go walking or bicycling to the park ... we are more sedate.

Its bad the first two days, but you get used to it by the third day.

format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
i used to go and play football with my team and i used to get soo thirsty. but i used mange alhamdulah.

playing football or cycling i not the same as running on tredmill for 1 hour or rowing machine for 30 mins :laugh:

SixTen
08-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Personally, weight training - don't do you out like cardio - I think doing weights is pretty okay during fasting. I mean, you huff a bit, during some of the sets - but none of that dehydration which you could get from running.

bibleblevr
08-09-2008, 05:20 AM
I will start by getting something out of the way, I am a Christian, but the way I see it is our two Religions are closer than any other two and we both belevie in the Bible. So I pray my words are not rejected. I have fasted before with the purpose being that fasting symbolizes among other things that god is the most importent thing in my life and other things are secondary. Thusly in my mind figuring a way to squeeze weight lifting into a time that shows gods supremacy in your life seems out of place. From a worldly purspective weightlifting on a decreesed diet can lead to losing progress and damaging muscles.

May your walk with god be ever increasing and your faith ever deepening.

MaiCarInMtl
08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bibleblevr
I have fasted before with the purpose being that fasting symbolizes among other things that god is the most importent thing in my life and other things are secondary. Thusly in my mind figuring a way to squeeze weight lifting into a time that shows gods supremacy in your life seems out of place.
I believe I understand what you are trying to say (pelase correct me if I am wrong), but I wouldn't be squeezing in the weight lifting, simply trying to figure out how it can fit into my day a bit better considering that I will be eating later than usual and not consuming any food for hours and hours beforehand.

Perhaps you mean to say that I should concentrate on God only? In that case, I guess one could also argue that I shouldn't work full-time and do other activities either.

format_quote Originally Posted by bibleblevr
From a worldly purspective weightlifting on a decreesed diet can lead to losing progress and damaging muscles.
I am already eating at a deficit (or below maintenance) because I do want to lose weight. Granted I am not pushing as hard as I do when I am on maintenance, I am still seeing strength gains and no injuries so far - it's important to listen to your body.

I would actually lower the weights and not do any powerlifting during the month, simply keep doing the exercises but at a decreased capacity. Interestingly enough, some bodybuilders are advocated of "intermittent fasting" whereby a builder will fast (except the water part - they can drink) for a certain set of hours and consume their daily caloric intake at a certain time. Some people chose a 16-hour fast with an 8-hour eating window, others go a bit more drastic and do a 24 hour off, 24 hour on fasting cycle.

UmmSqueakster
08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
As muslims, we should increase our ibadah (acts of worship) during Ramadan. But, even the Prophet (saws) himself, our best example, didn't give up everything worldly for this month.

Heck, exercising can even be seen as an act of worship, if you do it the right way. The Prophet (saws) said:

“A strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than a weak one.” (Reported by Muslim)

One can be a strong believer in mind, spirit, iman (faith) and body. We become strong and healthy in body through exercise and eating well.

It comes down to intention. If one's intention in exercise is only to become strong so that s/he can lift x amount for the sake of lifting x amount, then your intention is worldy. But, if your intention is to lift x amount so that you can keep your body strong, because it's a command of Allah (swt), then your intention is for Allah (swt), and your lifting weights is an act of worship :D

MaiCarInMtl
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm basically working out to get into better shape, I abused this body God gave me for long enough. How can I serve him properly and in as many ways possible if I don't take care of my body?

Cabdullahi
08-11-2008, 03:50 PM
sister do you use protein shakes

MaiCarInMtl
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
sister do you use protein shakes
Only when I haven't had the time to have a snack since lunch time, am going for a workout at 6:30 and am out of cottage cheese. I need something to give me a bit of energy or else I might fall flat on my face. So maybe 1-2x a week but sometimes I don't get have any shakes for weeks at a time.

I just take a scoop of the powder and add water.

Cabdullahi
08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
cottage cheese hahaha,when i used to train i used to eat it everytime thats if there's nothing meaty cooked in the house,i just eat it cus i cant cook for myself

Have you got shops like gnc in canada,cus they do some good offers and dont get creatine just stay on whey

MaiCarInMtl
08-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I lvoe cottage cheese - it's amazing. I love to cook, but I don't always have the time and there's no point in bringing good food to work if the microwave is going to ruin it.

We have GNC but their prices/selection aren't always the best. I'm actually planning on buying online from Supplements Canada / Popeye's - good selection and you can save quite a bit (7$ on one tub I was looking to order). No worries, no creatine for me, I'm not looking to gain mass, just looking to get protein in when I don't always have the food in handy.

chacha_jalebi
08-11-2008, 06:32 PM
go right near iftaar time, and if your mosque is far from your house, just open your iftaar at your mosque or do whatever is convenient for you, like take food with yaa! but if your lookin to do it during ramadan, then best time is like right next to the iftaar time

Cabdullahi
08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl
I lvoe cottage cheese - it's amazing. I love to cook, but I don't always have the time and there's no point in bringing good food to work if the microwave is going to ruin it.

We have GNC but their prices/selection aren't always the best. I'm actually planning on buying online from Supplements Canada / Popeye's - good selection and you can save quite a bit (7$ on one tub I was looking to order). No worries, no creatine for me, I'm not looking to gain mass, just looking to get protein in when I don't always have the food in handy.
yeah thats good,i used an american company for my whey protein im not sure if they do sell it in canada it was optimum nutrition and it was very good and effective ive quit weighting for about 3 months and inshallah im gonna start after ramadan looking skinny as hell (back to square one):(

bewildred
08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Hello,

Just like you, I'm a bit reluctant about stopping my work-out routine. I generally do my cardio in the morning. Yesterday, I fasted, yes I try to fast on Mondays and Thursdays and I can't remember how I made it to the Maghrib Adhan.

Tomorrow, I'll try on exercising an hour before el Adhan, we'll see. I'll let you know.

Bewildred

MaiCarInMtl
08-12-2008, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
yeah thats good,i used an american company for my whey protein im not sure if they do sell it in canada it was optimum nutrition and it was very good and effective ive quit weighting for about 3 months and inshallah im gonna start after ramadan looking skinny as hell (back to square one):(
Actually, the chocolate powder I have left at home is ON. I've been told they have an awesome Peanut Butter and Chocolate flavour but of course it's not available to us Quebecers! Grrrrr!!!!!!

MaiCarInMtl
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Hello,

Just like you, I'm a bit reluctant about stopping my work-out routine. I generally do my cardio in the morning. Yesterday, I fasted, yes I try to fast on Mondays and Thursdays and I can't remember how I made it to the Maghrib Adhan.

Tomorrow, I'll try on exercising an hour before el Adhan, we'll see. I'll let you know.

Bewildred
Perhaps I should try this out on Thursday: a day of fasting and then try my full workout... boy is that ever going to be a rough Thursday!

bewildred
08-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, yes, get prepared psychologically because the days I fasted and worked-out were REALLY difficult. It's ok with weightlifting. I do 20 reps of several prey-muscles.

Now the off topic note: I really like the Quebecois accent. I really do.

fatima_01
08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
uve just inspired me to start the gym again :p

MaiCarInMtl
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Well, yes, get prepared psychologically because the days I fasted and worked-out were REALLY difficult. It's ok with weightlifting. I do 20 reps of several prey-muscles.

Now the off topic note: I really like the Quebecois accent. I really do.
Thankfully the meeting where i am holding a demo is at 8:30 am, not some crazy thing like 3 pm!

I am also thankful that Thrusday will be a "Day 2: Back, shoulders and abs" and not a leg day. Doing 3 sets of 12 each for... 10 different exercises (including abs).

Oh no, which Quebecois accent did you hear? Not the jouale please, no not that one! Like nails on a chalk board to me. Other accents are fine. I have a Montreal accent (or so I was told by a Northern Quebecer).

MaiCarInMtl
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fatima_01
uve just inspired me to start the gym again :p
Really? Wow! That's great! Start slow though, don't go nuts or overboard like I tend to.

fatima_01
08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
lol dont worry ill take it slow very slow :p i went the other day and i could only do 5 mins:p workin on it tho slowly but surely :p

MaiCarInMtl
08-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok, I never even got to try! My gym buddy cancelled on me. Perhaps I can try again next Monday (these last 2 weeks have been very hectic). Here's to hoping!

MaiCarInMtl
08-27-2008, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Personally, weight training - don't do you out like cardio - I think doing weights is pretty okay during fasting. I mean, you huff a bit, during some of the sets - but none of that dehydration which you could get from running.
I think that really depends what kind of weight lifting you are doing. When I do heavier weights, I do lower reps but more sets (ex: 4-5 sets of 6 reps) and I will tell you that my heart rate goes up to 140-150 during those sets. In the end, you are exercising just as much except it's a different way to exercise. Rather than moving quickly, one needs to draw it out between sets and give in bursts in spurts.

While I wouldn't want to run on the treadmil for 30 minutes on no food, I wouldn't want to be doing squats on a heavy day with no food in my stomach either - hello fainting (or just plain old face plant)!!!!

GhettoWarrior
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Assalaam - u - Aliakum All

I've been gyming regularly (5 - 6 times a week ) for the past 5 years, and although I enjoy the Ramadan part of the year, it does set my training back a good few months. I've read a number of replies in relation to this subject, but still need to know whether any of you actually train during the day, while fasting and if so... what kind of workout are you doing ? IE Cardio ... X Trainer, treadmill how long etc Or Weights .. how many reps etc.

Thanks in advance for ne feedback

GhettoWarrior

Ansariyah
09-02-2008, 03:53 PM
or maybe some people have been blessed with good genes..and are naturally fit. Alhamdulilah.

I always find it funny to see the amount of Muslims who dont participate in Gym Class at school cause it's ramadan:laugh:

MaiCarInMtl
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, my attempts have been fruitless - something always came up, etc.

I am hoping to try out a workout of some sort on Thursday. Although I will be walking in 30 degree (celcius) heat today for about 20-30 minutes around 4:30 PM - here's to hoping I will make it to my destination!

As soon as I get to the gym, I will post my findings here.

Oh, and for the people with the amazing genes that Yanoorah mentioned... Well... *makes a face* Lucky, lucky people!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh, and for the people with the amazing genes that Yanoorah mentioned... Well... *makes a face* Lucky, lucky people!
but they get unhealthy more easily and they cant tell coz they dnt work out :p

abs
09-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Exercising and the gym during Ramadan
oooh thats gonna b tough!!!:-[

MegatronRx
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I hope I'm not too late to offer my advice. I exercise a lot as well and I'm fasting. I live in Toronto so I'm experiencing similar time zone changes with fasting as you are. The Ramadans are getting longer as they go into summer.

Personally, I do weights about 40 minutes before breaking my fast. I eat an apple or small orange and then continue with the rest of my workout. Weight training makes me dehydrated because of all the huffing and puffing so I don't do it in the middle of the day. I also take small sips of water during my exercise. Don't go crazy with the water because it'll make you queasy if you drink too much.

As for cardio, I wouldn't even dream about doing it in the middle of the day. That's just torture. I recommend eating a small amount of fruits, drinking some water, waiting about 30 minutes and then hitting the track/treadmill/bike etc. You need to be careful because your automatic reaction is to stuff your face when you break your fast but that causes a lot of indigestion especially if you're going to be doing cardio.

You will notice in the first week that you're not as strong or fast etc. I find that as time progresses, your body gets used to your new diet and you get stronger and faster and pretty soon you'll be at your pre-fasting levels of performance.

If you're a very hardcore athlete, however, I don't think you'll be able to match your peak performance. But at least you'll be doing something and lessening the atrophy that occurs.

I used to not work out during Ramadan and I think that's a very bad idea. Your body gets used to things you expose it to so exercising, although initially difficult, like fasting will become easier as time goes by.

They have a saying in the medical profession: Go low and Go slow. Don't push yourself and over stress your body. Instead gradually increase your performance as much as you can throughout the month.

I hope my advice helps.

Regards.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.