/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Introducing my cousin to Islam.

Allah's_Student
08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Assalam Alaikum,

It has been a few weeks since I last posted here. I have moved up to New York from Mississippi to further my education inshallah. I have a cousin who is 9 years old, and she says she is interested in becoming a Muslim. So I want to take her to the local mosque this Friday, but is that permissible considering I am not her mother or father?

Also the last time I visited the mosque there was all men, and I know women generally sit at the back when men or present. However, I want to teach her so I do not want her far away from my side.

So I am hoping you guys have some advice for me? :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
08-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Would her parents be cool with you taking her to the mosque and her becoming muslim? If yes, you would have to stick with her and be her sort of mentor, because if your family isn't muslim (i'm guessing they're not), she won't have any one to follow, and being so young, won't be able to find out all the info she needs to know by herself.

Islamically, I don't think there's anything wrong with you taking her, if i'm wrong someone please correct me.

There's usually a women's section in the mosque, and if there isn't, men and women sit in different parts.. If she's only 9 and still is a child, maybe the imam/whoever is in charge of the mosque wouldn't mind if she stayed with you, at least until she gets a little settled it?

Hope it goes well!:)

coddles76
08-07-2008, 01:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah's_Student
Assalam Alaikum,

It has been a few weeks since I last posted here. I have moved up to New York from Mississippi to further my education inshallah. I have a cousin who is 9 years old, and she says she is interested in becoming a Muslim. So I want to take her to the local mosque this Friday, but is that permissible considering I am not her mother or father?

Also the last time I visited the mosque there was all men, and I know women generally sit at the back when men or present. However, I want to teach her so I do not want her far away from my side.

So I am hoping you guys have some advice for me? :)
May Allah SWT guide you and guide your cousin InshAllah. Maybe its better to have a wise Sister speak to her and advise her. Maybe she would feel more comfortable that way. This way she could possibly find a new friends and a support group around her in times of need.
And Allah SWT knows best

MustafaMc
08-07-2008, 02:11 AM
I have moved up to New York from Mississippi to further my education inshallah.
Interesting that I live in MS and recently had a friend (his initials are I.S.) to move to NY.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
08-07-2008, 04:11 AM
:w:

Assalam Alaikum,

.... I have a cousin who is 9 years old, and she says she is interested in becoming a Muslim. So I want to take her to the local mosque this Friday, but is that permissible considering I am not her mother or father?

MashaAllah ...glad to know about ur cousin. InshaAllah , she will be our sis in islam soon :statisfie

do u know any Muslim couple who can go with u & ur cousin ? Because it's better if she does not spend time with u alone . May be u can invite other non Muslim friends / neighbours to go with u 2 or u may talk to the mosque authority to send a volunteer sis to ur cousin.

aadil77
08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
9 years old , you serious? my little brothers almost 9 I don't think he would have the capacity to think of changing his religion at soo young an age

Ansariyah
08-10-2008, 11:45 AM
MashaAllah this is so sweet touched my heart. I think u should take her to the mosque n keep her where u are sitting, shes still a child.

I helped our neighbour whos 7 say her shahada. Her mom use to bring her to our home when she had to go somewhere n we use to look after her. After being around us for so long she told her mother not to dress her in mini skirts anymore, that she wants to dress more modestly. One day to my surprise she came to me and asked me if she can become a muslim?...I was blown away..So I just helped her say the shahada....

Shes truly a lil angel....Too bad we moved and her mom wasnt the best influence. Her mom has 3 other kids by 3 other men, and she smokes drugs. I heard they moved I dont know where to..I miss her:(

She should be now 10 years old...

May ALlah guide her always ameen.

May ALlah reward u, hope it all goes well with ur cousin inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.