/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Feeding non-Muslims in Ramadan?

Malaikah
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
:sl:

Does anyone know if it haram to directly feed non-Muslims in Ramadan? As in, actually serve them food meant to be consumed on the spot during the day when they should be fasting? If you have any information about it that would be great!

I need to know ASAP if possible!

[And if you want to know why I'm asking - at my university we have an event coming up called Feast of Nations where people from different ethnic backgrounds sell food and can raise funds for their clubs/society. It's like a fun event kind of thing that celebrates diversity. The problem is that it is held in Ramadan and I'm not sure if our university society should participate and sell food to the non-Muslims because they are meant to be fasting...

The reason I feel unsure about this is because I'm sure I heard before that we can't do this, though I'm not 100% and my understanding is that even though they are non-Muslims they will still be punished for every Islamic rule they broke in the next life, including breaking their fast. Which means by feeding them we are encouraging them to do something they will be punished for, and seems to be contradictory to the command of Allah for us to command good and forbid evil.

There is absolutely no compulsion or anything for us to be involved. It's usually a good source of revenue for the club - but of course, if it is haram, I don't want a cent of that money.]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I remember visiting a Muslim family during Ramadan two years ago as part of my work.

The husband offered myself and my colleague some samosas, which his wife was cooking for the evening meal. It was only afternoon, and hours before the Ramadan meal.
I remember feeling a little awkward, because I knew that everybode else in the house was going hungry, while we were eating their food.

I don't know if it was haram or not ... but for me as a non-Muslim it was a very humbling experience, and it heightened my respect for Muslims and Islamic values ...

My question would be: why should non-Muslims be expected to be fasting during Ramadan???

Salaam

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
The reason I feel unsure about this is because I'm sure I heard before that we can't do this, though I'm not 100% and my understanding is that even though they are non-Muslims they will still be punished for every Islamic rule they broke in the next life, including breaking their fast.
This defintely doesn't seem right. Where did you hear this?

Ansariyah
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Non-Muslims are also Human beings, they also deserve sadaqa n should be treated with kindness.

If they arent muslims we shouldnt expect them to fast.

There is no compulsion in Islam, there is free will.

We should Respect that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Yanoorah - I'm not forcing them to fast, but I'm certainly NOT going to encourage them to sin! It's just like you wouldn't help someone murder or steal - just because they aren't Muslims doesn't mean they are allowed to murder or steal. The same actually applies for all sins. We can't help people disobey Allah, even if they aren't Muslims. At the same time we can't force them to fast, pray etc, however Allah still holds them accountable for doing these things.

glo - non-Muslims are not expected to fast in Ramadan as non-Muslims. But non-Muslims are expected to become Muslims and fast once they become Muslim. A person can not be forced to become Muslim however but they are still punished in the next for not becoming Muslim (which I'm sure you are aware of) and they are also punished for not doing the things that are compulsory on Muslims and for doing the things that were forbidden. So they are punished for not praying, for not fasting for drinking alcohol etc. Furthermore, you found it humbling but I personally see it as offensive as they were encouraging you to do something that you will be punished for in the next life. A true sign of compassion would be to have not helped you in doing something that they know Allah hates. They don't have the right to stop you from eating as far as I know, but they can't actually encourage you to eat.

Whatsthepoint - oh, its true. And why shouldn't it? It's fair. If Muslims will be punished for not praying or fasting, why should non-Muslims get away with it? The reasoning for my answer is bolded below.

Anyway, I found information on the issue alhamdulilah:

With regard to your question, you should note that it is not permissible for you to offer food to anyone to eat during the day in Ramadaan, unless he has an excuse that allows him not to fast, such as one who is sick or is travelling. There is no differentiation between Muslims and kaafirs in this matter. The Muslim who is not fasting is commanded to fast, so he is sinning by not fasting. Enabling him to eat and drink during the day in Ramadaan is helping him in sin and transgression. The command to fast and all other rulings are also addressed to the kaafir, but before that he is required to utter the Shahaadatayn (the twin declaration of faith) and enter Islam. On the Day of Resurrection the kaafir will be punished for his kufr and for the laws of Islam that he did not follow, so his punishment in Hell will be increased.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The correct view which is followed by the majority is that the minor issues of sharee’ah are addressed to the kuffaar, and silk is haraam for them as it is haraam for Muslim men. End quote.

Sharh Muslim, 14/39.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

How will the kaafir be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection when he is not required to follow the obligations of Islam?

He replied:

This question is based on a misconception. The same is required of the kaafir as is required of the believer, but he is not to be compelled to follow it in this world. The fact that it is required of him is indicated by the passage in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those on the Right (i.e. the pious true believers of Islamic Monotheism).

40. In Gardens (Paradise) they will ask one another,

41. About Al‑Mujrimoon (polytheists, criminals, disbelievers) (and they will say to them):

42. ‘What has caused you to enter Hell?’

43. They will say: ‘We were not of those who used to offer the Salaah (prayers),

44. ‘Nor we used to feed Al‑Miskeen (the poor);

45. ‘And we used to talk falsehood (all that which Allaah hated) with vain talkers.

46. ‘And we used to belie the Day of Recompense”

[al-Muddaththir 74:39-46]

If they were not being punished for not praying and not feeding the poor, they would not have mentioned that, because there would be no point in mentioning it in this situation. This indicates that they are being punished for not doing the minor issues enjoined by Islam. As this is implied by the texts, it is also implied by reasoning. If Allaah will punish His believing slave for what he failed to do of religious duties, how can He not punish the kaafir?
Moreover, the kaafir will be punished for all the blessings that Allaah bestowed upon him of food and drink etc. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Those who believe and do righteous good deeds, there is no sin on them for what they ate (in the past), if they fear Allaah (by keeping away from His forbidden things), and believe and do righteous good deeds, and again fear Allaah and believe, and once again fear Allaah and do good deeds with Ihsaan (perfection). And Allaah loves the good‑doers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:93]

The apparent meaning of the verse is that there is no sin on the believers for what they have eaten. What this implies is that there is sin on the kuffaar for what they have eaten. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (2/question no. 164).

Based on this, it is not permissible for a Muslim to offer food to a non-Muslim during the day in Ramadaan, because the minor issues of sharee’ah are addressed to the kuffaar too.

In Nihaayat al-Muhtaaj (5/274) it says that the scholars regarded it as haraam to sell food to the kuffaar during the day in Ramadaan. See also the answer to question no. 49694.

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/49694

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Whatsthepoint - oh, its true. And why shouldn't it? It's fair. If Muslims will be punished for not praying or fasting, why should non-Muslims get away with it?
Let me think. Because they don't know they have to nor what punishment awaits them for not doing it.
Suppose Hindus got it right. How would you feel if you went to Hindu hell simply for not paying enough respect to cows?

Malaikah
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Firstly, we are talking about non-Muslims who know what Islam is and then reject it. People who don't know what Islam is and died as non-Muslims are given a second chance on the day of judgement.

I'm sure most people who fit in the first category know that non-Muslims will spend eternity in the hell fire, and they STILL choose not to become Muslim, and by choosing so they choose not to follow any of God's laws... and so they are punished for that. Even if they did know they would be punished for it, as if they would do it when they didn't believe in it in the first place.

Ah, I'm not sure if that made any sense... let me know and I'll see if I can re-word it.

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Firstly, we are talking about non-Muslims who know what Islam is and then reject it. People who don't know what Islam is and died as non-Muslims are given a second chance on the day of judgement.

I'm sure most people who fit in the first category know that non-Muslims will spend eternity in the hell fire, and they STILL choose not to become Muslim, and by choosing so they knowing choose not to follow any of God's laws... and so they are punished for that. Even if they did know they would be punished for it, as if they would do it when they didn't believe in it in the first place.
the point is that they don't believe Islam is the true religion!
I'm sure you know everyone who doesn't accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Personal savior will go to hell but you still choose not to become Christian! Makes sense?

Malaikah
08-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Right... I'm not sure what your point is. I'm sure you already know that people who refuse to become Muslims while having understood what Islam is will go to hell, even though they don't believe in Islam. Right?

I'm not sure why you have trouble making that little jump.

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Right... I'm not sure what your point is. I'm sure you already know that people who refuse to become Muslims while having understood what Islam is will go to hell, even though they don't believe in Islam. Right?

I'm not sure why you have trouble making that little jump.
So you're talking about people who believe Islam is the truth but don't wanna admit it?
Well, what's the chance of there being a lot of such people at the Feast?
And if they're destined to go to hell, there's no proble with giving them food, they know they're not supposed to eat it, its their sin, not yours.

Malaikah
08-09-2008, 01:55 PM
They don't have to believe. They only have to have a sufficient understanding such that they are rejecting with some knowledge.

And if they're destined to go to hell, there's no proble with giving them food, they know they're not supposed to eat it, its their sin, not yours.
*Jaw drops* What kind of person would want to increase the suffering of another human?!

And only God knows who is destined to go to hell!!! Just because a person is not Muslim now doesn't mean they won't become Muslim before they die! We have no right to say these things!

And I disagree, yes it is their sin but that doesn't mean I should encourage what they are doing!

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 02:06 PM
They don't have to believe. They only have to have a sufficient understanding such that they are rejecting with some knowledge.
That doesn't make sense. One can know a lot about a religion its norms and prohibitions, but whats the point of following them if you don't think the religion is correct?
Unless of course you believe everyone who possess a sufficient knowledge of Islam either converts or is misguided.

Malaikah
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
No, No.

Okay, its like this.

Every single person is required to become a Muslim. Right? And by becoming Muslim they are expected to do all the things Muslims must do. Okay? By choosing not to become Muslim, they choose also not to follow all the commands of God. When you reject Islam you reject it as a whole not as parts. So you aren't only choosing to reject that Muhammad was the Messenger sent by God but you are also rejecting all the commands that God sent to us.

Just like no one can force you to become a Muslim, no one can force you pray, fast etc however that doesn't mean on the day of judgement you can use being a non-Muslim as an excuse for not praying, fasting etc because no one said you were allowed to reject Islam in the first place.

Okay, here is an analogy... its like a student wags class, and then doesn't do the homework that was assigned that day. No one said he can wag the class so why would he would go unpunished if he doesn't do the homework?

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
No, No.

Okay, its like this.

Every single person is required to become a Muslim. Right? And by becoming Muslim they are expected to do all the things Muslims must do. Okay? By choosing not to become Muslim, they choose also not to follow all the commands of God. When you reject Islam you reject it as a whole not as parts. So you aren't only choosing to reject that Muhammad was the Messenger sent by God but you are also rejecting all the commands that God sent to us.

Just like no one can force you to become a Muslim, no one can force you pray, fast etc however that doesn't mean on the day of judgement you can use being a non-Muslim as an excuse for not praying, fasting etc because no one said you were allowed to reject Islam in the first place.

Okay, here is an analogy... its like a student wags class, and then doesn't do the homework that was assigned that day. No one said he can wag the class so why would he would go unpunished if he doesn't do the homework?
Geez... I guess my analogy with Hinduism and Christianity was correct.
How do you define "sufficient knowledge about Islam?"

Malaikah
08-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry, I personally don't know what is suffiecient. The scholars differed, Allah knows best.

Anyway, I spoke to a shaykh today and he discussed that there is a difference of opinion on this topic that goes back to whether or not scholars believe that non-Muslims will also be punished for the details of the requirements of Islam (like prayer, fasting etc). Those who say yes would say that you can't give food to non-Muslims in Ramadan during the day and those who say no say you can.

Ansariyah
08-10-2008, 12:05 PM
ur right Malaikah that ALlah will hold everyone accountable for their deeds etc, but we have no right to expect non-muslims to fast. Like I said, there is no compulsion in Islam. We should first call them to Tawheed thats the first. If someone doesnt even understand or believe Tawheed wats the point of worrying about fasting. If they reject Tawheed you can forget about fasting.

Besides, I never heard that its sin to feed non-muslims during Ramadan, this is the first time I am hearing this.:muddlehea..And I question it, wheres the daleel to back that up?

One more thing I want to mention is that u dont have any right to say that they will go to hell..Only Allah knows who goes to hell. Allah can guide them if he wants.

Malaikah
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM

SubhanAllah sis... please read my posts carefully! I said over and over again that we do NOT have the right to force non-Muslims to fast! The 'proof' that it is a sin to feed non-Muslims in Ramadan - according to one opinion - was posted in this post and I never said anyone is going to hell! In fact I clearly, emphatically stated:

And only God knows who is destined to go to hell!!! Just because a person is not Muslim now doesn't mean they won't become Muslim before they die! We have no right to say these things!
Please read my post more carefully next time sister.

Ansariyah
08-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I was reffering to this post of urs...

I'm sure most people who fit in the first category know that non-Muslims will spend eternity in the hell fire, and they STILL choose not to become Muslim

anatolian
08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Salam Malaika.I can't give you a link to an Islamic scholar comment but pesonally don't think that would be haram.To encourage people to murder and not fasting are not same thing :) As much as I understand they are poor and deserve the food,right? If you find some one,a non-muslim, starving during day time in Ramadan wouldn't you provide food?

Malaikah
08-11-2008, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Salam Malaika.I can't give you a link to an Islamic scholar comment but pesonally don't think that would be haram.To encourage people to murder and not fasting are not same thing :) As much as I understand they are poor and deserve the food,right? If you find some one,a non-muslim, starving during day time in Ramadan wouldn't you provide food?
I'm not talking about poor/starving people. I'm talking about normal people.

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I was reffering to this post of urs...
I said non-Muslims go to hell. It is absolutely fundamental can't be denied fact of life that Muslims believe that those who reject Allah and His Messenger will go to hell. As for who fits into that category, it is not up to us to judge but Allah. I said nothing wrong.

Al-Zaara
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Isn't it haram to fast without having made the intention to? So if you do not feed them when they ask to, it would be wrong from your side, for they aren't allowed to fast without having made the intention to (if we look pass that they are non-Muslims)?

north_malaysian
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Well....

It's a tradition in Malaysia where Muslims would donate money for the mosque cooks to prepare a special porridge called "Bubur Lambuk" on every single day of Ramadhan. People from the neighbourhood (Muslims and Non Muslims) would line up 2 hours before iftaar to collect this porridge... in Malaysia some Non Muslims fast and some Muslims dont fast in Ramadhan...

So it's weird to ask every single person whether he/she fast or not right? People could lie.

So, in the spirit of charity and sharing food with the whole community this tradition continues until today.

Malaikah
08-11-2008, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Isn't it haram to fast without having made the intention to? So if you do not feed them when they ask to, it would be wrong from your side, for they aren't allowed to fast without having made the intention to (if we look pass that they are non-Muslims)?
But they aren't fasting just because you aren't giving them food. The point is simply that you don't aid them in sin, which in this case, would be providing them with food.

Al-Zaara
08-11-2008, 06:56 PM
But they aren't fasting just because you aren't giving them food. The point is simply that you don't aid them in sin, which in this case, would be providing them with food.
To fast without making the intention to is not allowed. In fact so, giving them food ain't wrong for you. You are not aiding them to sin, for refusing, thinking you are aiding them to sin, is ridicilous 'cause they have already sinned and not giving them food wouldn't make a difference.

OK, I may not get it right now, but inshaAllah I will sooner. There are different opinions? Please post them.

Malaikah
08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
The difference of opinion goes back to whether or not non-Muslims will be held accountable for the details of the shariah. Those who say they are say that you can't feed them in Ramadan, and those who say they aren't say you can feed them.

I don't know any details of the opinion that says they aren't held accountable but the article I posted in post 5 (I think) explains the position that says they are accountable.

NoName55
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
in Brother kadafi days Almadani would ask proof, hearsay was not allowed and only the opinion of well-known non-sectarian scholars was considered as proof.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.