/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My sisters hearing dog and Ramadan

cliffykat
08-18-2008, 04:56 AM
My Dear Sisters and Brothers,
I have been a muslim now for 10 years (Thanks be to God) and have recently had to move back and live with my sister who is has a proufound hearing loss and has to have a hearing dog to help her with life. She was hit by cars three times before our family convinced her that she needed to have a hearing dog for her safety. She finally received one 14 years ago and her life was changed dramatically. She was no longer fearful of walking and crossing streets, she was no longer fearful of someone sneaking up behind her, not hearing the fire alarm, the doorbell ring ...... This wonderful dog passed away 2 years ago and she has once again been blessed with a new dog who has once again filled the void of not being able to hear. My issue now is that Ramadan is comming and all I have read is that Dogs are dirty and that I cannot be around the dog. I have read the Quran each year now since I have been a muslim and have found nothing in there about dogs being dirty and only found the sura about the boys in the cave with their dog, I have found nothing in the forty Qudsi about dogs either. I have also found multiple debates about this on other sites and am wondering what I need to do to be able to hold to Ramadan and still be with the dog in the house.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
First and formost, the rulings in our religion are based on the Qur'an and on the hadith of the Prophet (saws). The discussion re: dogs takes place in the hadith, and not in the Qur'an or hadith qudsi, which is probably why you haven't found anything on it.

At the time of the Prophet (saws), dogs were kept to work, not as pets. A guide dog is a work dog, not a pet. Recently in my city, there was a big bruhaha about muslim cab drivers refusing to take guide dogs into their cabs. in the end, scholars said that they should allow them in. Here are some rulings that say it is permissible to accomidate guide dogs.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1201957976997

In conclusion, I strongly believe that the taxi driver would have been faithful to the teachings of Islam by accommodating the blind person with her dog rather than turning her away. The dog would have neither polluted nor rendered his vehicle impure, as the sacred precincts of the Prophet's mosque were not rendered impure by the frequent comings and goings of dogs as reported in the above traditions. If the dog had licked the cab driver's clothes or body during the course of the journey, it would have been necessary for him to simply wash them with anti-bacterial soap or a detergent before performing his ritual prayer. In other words, there would have been no need for him to perform any ritual cleansing of the vehicle itself. May Allah help us be true to the spirit of the Divine Laws, instead of fossilizing on their letter, amen.
Can Guide-Dogs Enter the Mosque?

My Cousin Keeps a dog - can I pray in her house?

I used to live with friends who had 4 dogs. I simply made sure my room was off limits to the dogs, and kept a clean set of clothes to pray in. It's not the ideal situation, but it's not the end of the world either.

cliffykat
08-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Thank-you dear sister. This is most helpful, I am in your debt.

Orn
08-19-2008, 04:10 PM
All praises due to Allah for he has made everything for us the Muslim ummah so easy,but yet many of us neglet the blessings of Allah(swt) because we are too arrogant

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.