/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Its not "Ramadhan"

Abu Muslim
08-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Its not Ramadhan

26 08 2008 Well not yet anyways. Disregarding the fact ramadaan is not for another 10 days or so inshaAllah ta3la [woo, can feel the excitement already] but also its just like a pet peeve, its not spelt ramadhan, its ramadaan. Lets look at the original arabic of the spelling: رمضان

Theres a ra ر, a meem م, a dwaad ض, an alif ا and a noon ن‎. So where on Allah’s earth is the dhal ذ which everyone puts on on? Some may argue you can never transliterate correctly and everyone has their own method but while this is true at least dont add letters that arent there. If anything you can put one “a” there or two due to the alif ا and that can be a difference of opinion. A dwaad or daad or however you want to spell it is hard to transliterate but it definetely doesnt transliterate as dhaad. The same dwaad is in surah fatiha, hope everyone doesnt say waladhaaleen.

Its like when you actually say it, you dont say ram-adhan [like call to pray]. It reminds me of the classical asians in their surah fatiha in the last ayah, they going all good and then suddenly out comes “walad zwaaaaaleen” and you’re like eh, where that come from.

Anyways its not even that important, just one of thoese thing. However you spell it, what matters is not how you spell it but what you do to become nearer to Allah [aza wajal] in it. *smiles*

taken from Dhikrullah Blog

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
makin mountains of manhills!

ramadan, ramzan, romozon, fastin time! you know what the person is sayin lol, let him say it

arghhhhhhhhh

Abu Muslim
08-26-2008, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
makin mountains of manhills!

ramadan, ramzan, romozon, fastin time! you know what the person is sayin lol, let him say it

arghhhhhhhhh
lol not like anyone gonna get told off for it and its not that big of a issue but its like me calling you chacha jalebiyah, just. you know.

chacha_jalebi
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
jalebiyah :embarrass lol

mmm i suppose i understand bro, btw i didnt aim at you, i aimed at the person who wrote the article thingy! like people pick up on the littlest of things lol subhanallah! as a posh person would say "well spotted old chappy":D

i think people say rama - DH - an, like that dh dh noise the dhaal noise, so they say ramadhan, anywhoo who cares :D the weathers nice :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IB-Staff
08-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Thread Moved, to the 'Ramadhan' section. :hmm:

Pk_#2
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
What you on, it's Ramadhan, Not Ramadaaaaaaaaan or Ramzaaan (urgh)

And don't argue with me, because I am right, whether you like it or not. :thumbs_up

------
08-31-2008, 11:17 AM
:salamext:

Please be polite people.

manaal
08-31-2008, 08:44 PM
You guys wanna know where the "ramadan/ramazan" confusion comes from? Actually its not a confusion at all. I'm no Urdu expert, but in Urdu the "d" in ramadan is pronounced as "z". You can see this many Paki names: E.g. Rizwan or ridwan and Afzal for Afdal. No big deal. If anyone thinks its a big prob, you should hear how the Eygptian people speak Arabic!

------
09-01-2008, 09:40 AM

^ Yeh the Pakistani's always mess things up!! :raging:

Ali.
09-01-2008, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

^ Yeh the Pakistani's always mess things up!! :raging:
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

Please be polite people.

north_malaysian
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
In Malaysian language, the pronounciation is just like Arabic...but when it comes to the spelling in Roman script it's "Ramadhan"....

we use "dh" for "ض" - redha, radhi, ridhwan, ramadhan

and z for "ذ" - zikir, muzakarah

AvarAllahNoor
09-01-2008, 12:10 PM
What does it matter? It means the same thing!

Muhammad
09-01-2008, 02:11 PM
:sl:

Theres a ra ر, a meem م, a dwaad ض, an alif ا and a noon ن‎. So where on Allah’s earth is the dhal ذ which everyone puts on on?
As you mentioned, it's down to a difference in transliterating.

Some will write ذ as thaal, because the 'th' (as pronounced in the word 'the') is fairly accurate in matching the sound.

'Dh' is used to distinguish between 'd' for daal.

Since we come from different backgrounds and different letters might be understood differently, I guess it's whatever is easiest for the person :).

P.S. The original thread title made me think it was another thread arguing over the starting time of the month!

Ali.
09-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Look, basically you can't write Arabic in English.

jzcasejz
09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
People round here say 'romzan'. It does the job!

north_malaysian
09-02-2008, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Look, basically you can't write Arabic in English.
the best answer of all!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.