/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some practical questions on wudu/ghusl

shahrazad
08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Dear sisters and brothers, I hope you can help me by answering a few questions. I hope they have simple answers :D

If I take a complete shower/bath, wash my hair etc. do I still have to do wudu before praying?
If the answer to that is yes, can I do my wudu in the shower?
If I take a shower or bath, can I do ghusl instead of wudu even if it's not necessary? It seems to make more sense since everything gets immersed in the water anyway...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fazl Ahmad
08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
If I take a complete shower/bath, wash my hair etc. do I still have to do wudu before praying?
If by bath you mean ghusl, than there is no nead to repeat wudu before offering your prayer, provided you did ghusl properly.

'Abd al-Baari
08-27-2008, 12:20 PM
:sl:

A person does not have to do wudhu again after Ghusl (bath) if the person made the intention to do wudhu whilst in the bath/shower.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Birr said: The one who does ghusl to purify himself from janaabah, if he does not do wudoo’ but he makes water reach every part of his body, he has done what is required of him, because Allaah has enjoined upon the one who is in a state of janaabah to do ghusl, not wudoo’.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5032/

If I take a shower or bath, can I do ghusl instead of wudu even if it's not necessary? It seems to make more sense since everything gets immersed in the water anyway...
Remember though that there are many rewards in doing wudhu.

:w:

Makky
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fazl Ahmad
If by bath you mean ghusl, than there is no nead to repeat wudu before offering your prayer, provided you did ghusl properly.
brother Fazl please edit your post because your answer is wrong.

I'll edit this post when you see it insha Allah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shahrazad
Dear sisters and brothers, I hope you can help me by answering a few questions. I hope they have simple answers :D

:salamext:

Ghusl is higher then wudu, infact part of performing ghusl is to perform wudhu so one does not have to re-perform wudhu after ghusl. I have lectures and books about it, I will take photos from the books that I have and I will post lectures insha'Allah which talk about all of the all the five pillars beginning with purification. Just having my lunch at the mo.

1. First, the Muslim should make their intentions for purification, then wash the private parts.
  2. Then make wudu like the wudu done for prayer, then pour water on his right side, then the left side.
  3. Then water should be poured on his head, covering the entire body with water. It is also reported in the sunnah that the washing the feet should be delayed until the end of the ghusl. As is reported on the authority of A'ishah (May Allah be pleased with her) who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) when performing ghusl from janaba used to wash his hands, then wash his private parts with his left hand. After that he performed wudu like that for prayer.
  4. Next he took some water and ran his fingers in the roots of his hair until he used three handfuls of water on his head.
  5. He would then go on pouring water on the rest of his body and wash his legs. (It was reported by Muslim #479.) In the narration of Al-Bukhari it states that he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) then turned
IslamQA.com

Faye
08-27-2008, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari

A person does not have to do wudhu again after Ghusl (bath) if the person made the intention to do wudhu whilst in the bath/shower.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Birr said: The one who does ghusl to purify himself from janaabah, if he does not do wudoo’ but he makes water reach every part of his body, he has done what is required of him, because Allaah has enjoined upon the one who is in a state of janaabah to do ghusl, not wudoo’.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5032/

Remember though that there are many rewards in doing wudhu.

:w:
I heard somewhere that if one is in a state of wudu, and he hasn't done any ibadat with it, than it is israaf (wasteful) to perform a new wudu. If one wishes to pray with a fresh wudu, they shuld do a small ibadat and then renew wudu.

Ghusul puts you in a state of wudu, so doing another wudu after it maybe wasteful.

Sorry, I don't have a reference.

On another note, if you take a shower, you are in a state of wudu according to Ahnaaf, as all the farz bits get washed, and intention is not necessary. If you do mazmazah and istinshaq (putting water in your nose and mouth), your ghusul is also done as intention is again unnecessary,
according to Ahnaaf. (Info taken from al-Hidayah)

I don't know about the other mazhabs.

'Abd-al Latif
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Here are the lectures as promised. These lectures cover all the five pillars begining from Purification (i.e. wudhu, ghusl, what nullifies it etc). i'll do the pictures from the books also.

These are by Yasir Qadhi;

Fiqh of Worship part 1

Fiqh of Worship part 2

Fiqh of Worship part 3

Fiqh of Worship part 4

Fiqh of Worship part 5

Fiqh of Worship part 6

'Abd-al Latif
08-31-2008, 03:42 PM

Really sorry for the late reply. Here as the pictures as promised:

page 1

page 2

page 3

tresbien
09-02-2008, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shahrazad

To have a detailed answer for u question.PLS visit

http://www.islamqa.com/en/cat/254
or read fiqh al sunnah at
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/

Makky
09-03-2008, 03:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari

I catch you little brother !!

You misundertood the fatwaa... there are a great difference between 1-ghusl to purify yourself from Janaabah and ghusl for cleaniness and refresing.

with Ghusl from janaaban you don't need to perform wudu
with ghusl for refresing and cleaniness you need to perform wudu

sources and evidence for those who want.

dilkadr
09-03-2008, 03:30 AM

Your answer is here in quran
http://www.islamicity.com/MOSQUE/ARA...AYAT/5/5_6.gif

English (Yusuf Ali): (Recite)
5:6 O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, Allah doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful.

It means if you are taking bath to prepare for prayers then it is OK as bath [is advance level] is required when wadu is not enough to achieve desired level of cleanliness.

And Allah Knows Best...

Muhammadiyoon
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
The complete answer to your questions:

The intention is part of the wudu, it is the first integral of Wudu. If you intend to take a normal shower, then you have not performed you wudu or ghusul for that matter. You must perform wudu before praying.

You can perform your wudu in the shower. However, you must first put the intention that you are performing wudu, then you must do the steps of wudu in order, making sure not to invalidate your wudu, this can happen easily in the shower by touching the private parts with the inside part of the bare hand for example.

If I take a shower or bath, can I do ghusl instead of wudu even if it's not necessary? It seems to make more sense since everything gets immersed in the water anyway

Yes, if you put the intention to perform ghusul. you are making the intention to rid yourself of major ritual impurity, and if you perform the sunnah ghusul, then this suffices. You can then perform your prayers without making wudu again. But, this is only if you put the intention to perform such ghusul, and did not invalidate your wudu after.

Muhammadiyoon

Makky
09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammadiyoon
The complete answer to your questions:

The intention is part of the wudu, it is the first integral of Wudu. If you intend to take a normal shower, then you have not performed you wudu or ghusul for that matter. You must perform wudu before praying.

You can perform your wudu in the shower. However, you must first put the intention that you are performing wudu, then you must do the steps of wudu in order, making sure not to invalidate your wudu, this can happen easily in the shower by touching the private parts with the inside part of the bare hand for example.

If I take a shower or bath, can I do ghusl instead of wudu even if it's not necessary? It seems to make more sense since everything gets immersed in the water anyway

Yes, if you put the intention to perform ghusul. you are making the intention to rid yourself of major ritual impurity, and if you perform the sunnah ghusul, then this suffices. You can then perform your prayers without making wudu again. But, this is only if you put the intention to perform such ghusul, and did not invalidate your wudu after.

Muhammadiyoon
Good answers

just to clarify for readers : the major ritual impurity which is Jannabah (due to sexual intercource or sexual wet dreams )

the ritual ghusl in this case is sufficient.

while ghusl in the case of minor ritual impurit is not sufficient

please check this fatwa

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/99543/

Malaikah
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM

Makky - the scholars differ on this. I clearly heard my shaykh say it is fine to make ghusl and not make wudu afterwards even if the person did not need to make ghusl.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.