/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Holy Month of Ramadan to begin on Monday

The_Prince
08-30-2008, 11:18 PM
The holy fasting month of Ramadan will start Monday, September 1, in most Arab and Gulf countries as well as North America and European countries.

"There was no evidence of any person seeing the new crescent today," Saudi Arabia's Judicial Council confirmed in a statement on Saturday, August 30.

Therefore, Sunday, August 31, will be the last day of the month of Sha`ban and Ramadan will fall on Monday, September 1, added the council.

Religious authorities in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Yemen issued similar announcements.

Divided politically, the Palestinians will be united in starting the holy fasting month on Monday after the religious authorities in both Gaza Strip and the west Bank issued statements to that end.

Sunni religious authorities in both Iraq and Lebanon announced Saturday that the new crescent was not sighted and that Ramadan will fall on Monday.

Syria's top Islamic judge confirmed that the holy month of Ramadan will start on Monday.
In Cairo, the grand mufti of Egypt confirmed that the new crescent was not sighted Saturday and that fasting will start Monday.

The minister of justice and religious affairs in Djibouti also announced Monday as the start of Ramadan.

During Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

MondayCalculations

The European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR) confirmed that Ramadan will fall on the first day of September based on be astronomical calculations.

The French Council of the Muslim Faith, Central London Mosque, the imams' society in the Netherlands, the imams' association in Belgium and the Islamic Center in Milan decided to follow ECFR on the start of Ramadan.

Muslims in Bosnia and Serbia will observe the first day of Ramadan on Monday, the Islamic Sheikhdom of Bosnia and Serbia had said.

Croatian Muslims will follow neighboring Bosnia in observing the beginning of the holy fasting month.

Turkey's Presidency of Religion Affairs, the country's highest religious institution, had earlier announced Monday as the start of Ramadan based on calculations.

Muslims in Macedonia, Slovenia, Montenegro and Bulgaria will be following Turkey in observing the dawn-to-dusk fast.

Muslims in Germany, Austria, Romania and Ukraine will fast on Monday based on calculations, according to Muslim organizations.

The Islamic endowment authorities in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia decided to follow Saudi Arabia and Egypt in observing Ramadan as of Monday.

Australian Muslims will start fasting Ramadan on Monday, according to the Islamic center in Canberra.

The deputy head of the Russian Council of Muftis told IOL Monday has been confirmed as the start of Ramadan according to astronomical calculations.

The head of the Islamic cultural center in Saint Petersburg told IOL that the Islamic republics of Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and Kirghizstan always follow Turkey in depending on astronomical calculations.

Muslim scholars in the Philippines also announced that Ramadan will fall on Monday based on astronomical calculations.

The first day of Ramadan will fall in North America on September 1, according to astronomical calculations, the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) has announced.

Sighting

Libya is so fat the only country to announce the start of Ramadan on Sunday, August 31.

The North African countries of Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco will sight the new moon on Sunday.

This means Ramadan will either fall Monday or Tuesday.

Indonesia's Nahdlatul Ulama, the country's largest Muslim group, will sight the Ramadan moon on Sunday.

Muhammadiyah, Indonesia's second largest group, has already announced that Ramadan will start on Monday.

Muslims in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh will sight the new Ramadan moon on Monday.

Moon sighting has always been a controversial issue among Muslim countries, and even scholars seem at odds over the issue.

While one group of scholars sees that Muslims in other regions and countries are to follow the same moon sighting as long as these countries share one part of the night, another states that Muslims everywhere should abide by the lunar calendar of Saudi Arabia.

A third, however, disputes both views, arguing that the authority in charge of ascertaining the sighting of the moon in a given country announces the sighting of the new moon, then Muslims in the country should all abide by this.

This usually causes confusion among Muslims, particularly in the West, on observing the dawn-to-dusk fasting and celebrating the `Eid el-Fitr, which marks the end of fasting.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fazl Ahmad
08-31-2008, 06:40 AM
to this day I never understood why some people begin Ramadan a day after its suppose to start.

BlackMamba
08-31-2008, 06:57 AM
My Masjid is following http://www.crescentwatch.org/cgi-bin/Cw/cw.cgi?action=0 which they say is the sunnah way. This means we will most likely have our first fast on Tuesday Sept 2. I dont like doing this because this means we are different from everyone in our community and pretty much the entire world.

Fazl Ahmad
08-31-2008, 07:04 AM
My Masjid is following http://www.crescentwatch.org/cgi-bin/Cw/cw.cgi?action=0 which they say is the sunnah way. This means we will most likely have our first fast on Tuesday Sept 2. I dont like doing this because this means we are different from everyone in our community and pretty much the entire world.
Well you should begin fasting on Monday, and go to a different masjid for Eid prayers.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
08-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes, it is Ramazan on Monday here in Finland, elhamdulillah.

Libya is so fat the only country to announce the start of Ramadan on Sunday, August 31.
Haha, it should say so far, but I can't help laughing. ;D

BlackMamba
08-31-2008, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fazl Ahmad
Well you should begin fasting on Monday, and go to a different masjid for Eid prayers.
Ya but I can't because I am part of that Masjid, you know? And they do have a point, I mean it says clearly in the hadith to sight the moon in order to begin Ramadan.

"Messenger of God, peace and blessings be upon him, has said: “Begin your fast upon sighting [the crescent moon] and end your fast upon sighting [the subsequent crescent].” The four schools of Sunni Islam hold that this is an unambiguous, clear textual proof that is not open to subsequent interpretation."

I got that from http://www.************/articleDetai...?articleID=119 which also does the moonsighting like my masjid. I mean they do have a good point for starting a day "later". But I think we should all do the same thing. And just have it on Monday.

BlissfullyJaded
08-31-2008, 07:39 PM
:sl:

^ So, just for the sake of "unity" we should let go of a saheeh hadith, and fast on the 30th Shabaan? Cuz anyway you put it, it's still the 30th, not the 1st of Ramadhan. We can lie to ourselves...but Allah knows the truth. Even Sheikh Uthaymin (Rahimahullah) believed that people in the USA should follow their own moonsighting, not Makkah... We try to be united in the strangest of things. And the rest of the year, we will bash the Saudi's for every other thing they do...

BlackMamba
08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
^Ok lol I am one of the few that is actually following the hadeeth and starting the Ramadan at the sight of the moon. So you shouldnt be telling that to me, tell it to the whole rest of the world.
I was just saying that I wish we could all do it as one ummah and not have different Ramadans, laylatul qadrs and different Eids. I hate doing that.

YusufNoor
08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

^ So, just for the sake of "unity" we should let go of a saheeh hadith, and fast on the 30th Shabaan? Cuz anyway you put it, it's still the 30th, not the 1st of Ramadhan. We can lie to ourselves...but Allah knows the truth. Even Sheikh Uthaymin (Rahimahullah) believed that people in the USA should follow their own moonsighting, not Makkah... We try to be united in the strangest of things. And the rest of the year, we will bash the Saudi's for every other thing they do...

MashaAllah!

:w:

BlissfullyJaded
08-31-2008, 08:39 PM

We're also doing it according to the moonsighting. And I was tellin it to you, cuz you said you'd like for the whole ummah to have it on one day... No offense intended, and I respect that you're sticking to the moonsighting regardless of what you wish could happen. :thumbs_up Btw, if I remember right, you're leading taraweeh? InshaAllah it goes well for you! :)

BlackMamba
08-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Ya I'm real nervous right now lol dont know if taraweeh is gonna be tonight or tomorrow night. This is my first year as a hafiz too, so I'm new to leading taraweeh, especially on the first day.

ayan333
08-31-2008, 09:11 PM

SubhanALLAH..we were jus discussing this yesterday

yes the Hadeeth states that you should look for the moon but you have to finish the hadeeth and not jus take the first part into consideration..SubhanALLAH we are al Muslims!

sorry i get emotional when i see or hear of things like this

no offence brother,dnt feel that im directing this at you,jus in general

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.