/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does God ever give a person gifts to test them?

rpwelton
09-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Asalamu Alaikum everyone,

I reverted to Islam about 10 months ago. Before converting, I had spent the past 12 years or so being obsessed with filmmaking.

It was my childhood dream to be a movie director ever since I was 11 years old. I was constantly making films, writing, dreaming up ideas. I've had a very creative and imaginative mind and that has really never ceased. I was pretty serious about making it my career and I wasn't going to let anything stop me. I had moved to Los Angeles, worked for film production companies down there (although ultimately LA was not for me), and had written several scripts and directed several films.

Then I discovered Islam and realized that my religion and my passion could not coexist. So I dropped filmmaking altogether, went and got a business degree and got married. It was a complete 180 degree turn around from what I was doing, although I never really hesitated in giving it up.

I'm not saying that I'm regretting my decision or anything, but I do sometimes find myself dreaming up stories like I used to, which always makes me wonder whether Allah SWT gave me the gift of telling stories through movies and writing to see if I would be able to give it up for Him.

Has anybody else been in a similar situation? Whether it be a talent for music, drawing/sculpting or photography, etc? Things that move you creatively, but ultimately are not congruent with Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Na7lah
09-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Assalamu Alaykum

First, welcome to the Forum, and Congratulations on becoming a Muslim,

I'm not saying that I'm regretting my decision or anything, but I do sometimes find myself dreaming up stories like I used to, which always makes me wonder whether Allah SWT gave me the gift of telling stories through movies and writing to see if I would be able to give it up for Him.
I havent been in a situation like that, but maybe you can explore to see if your talent can be used in a different way? If you're good at writing stories maybe you can write Islamic stories, novels for Muslims....

Ma'salamah

transition?
09-07-2008, 03:20 AM
:sl:

Sister, I used to draw almost all types of subjects. I was good, but I knew not to draw faces. I gave those up. I could have earned awards, perhaps a scholarship, but what is all that, when I would be sacrificing true peace in this world and happiness in the Hereafter (Heaven/Jannah). What kind of happiness would I really get, going against Allah (swt)?

I never gave up art, however. I draw still life and natural scenes. When I think draw, I can really truly see the beauty of God's creations. As Brother Woodrow once pointed out the symmetry of leaves and even weeds. I see it, and it's beautiful. I found a way to keep up my passion Islam and my skills. I can show other people too.

Sometimes when I look at people, I can see how women are more beautiful than the moon and how humans are His best creations. Nowadays, women want to look a certain way because beauty is defined by a few facial types. But when you look at an "ugly" or any person's face, you see the beauty in the lines of their wrinkles, the blend of colors in their face, even the color that goes into pimples (tihehe), the way light creates the effect of softness of texture on the skin. It's amazing. I may not be able to draw those faces, but I think my gift is a good one because I've learned to appreciates the Greatness of God.

But sister/brother, Allah (swt) has blessed all with brains, so that when we find ourselves in a pickle due to an obstacle or restriction, we rethink and find even better Halal solutions. Because Allah (Swt)is the Best Helper and Guides the believers. So if you show that your effort is to please Him, He will Help you.

Is there not a way you can still be creative or create films to support your new passion? and if you have not found a solution yet, sister, be grateful that with your creative mind you have seen the world in a way that lets you understand the knowledge of Allah (swt) and has brought you to the path of Islam. :).

I asked for Strength.........
And Allah gave me Difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for Wisdom.........
And Allah gave me Problems to solve.

I asked for Prosperity.........
And Allah gave me Brain and Brawn to work.

I asked for Courage.........
And Allah gave me Danger to overcome.

I asked for Love..........
And Allah gave me Troubled people to help.

I asked for Favours.........
And Allah gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted ........
I received everything I needed!

Life is a Test. Allah (swt) Blesses us with gifts so that we may be grateful! It is a test for us to show our gratitude! Even the rich must give in the Name of Allah (swt). Every man should be sufficient with what he has, what Allah (Swt) has given him/her. Feel good! There are people who are blind, who never feel the touch of Allah's (swt) Knowledge! and one day, instead, only feel His Wrath.

islamirama
09-07-2008, 03:29 AM
There once was a man who had a beautiful voice and used to sing in public with crowd of people all around him. One day an imaam passed by him and was saddened to see him and left. The singer who respected the imam noticed and went after him to see whats going on. The imaam said that i was pleased to see Allah has given such a beautiful voice and a good talent but saddened to see you using it for haraam (singing) rather then for praising Allah (reciting the Quran). The entertainer gave up singing and started reciting Quran afterwards and was a beautiful Quran recitor.

Sometimes Allah does give us talents as gifts but then sees how we will use them. It is up to us to use them for haraam or halaal. You mentioned you still come up tons of stories and what not. What this ummah needs is literature for young adults and Muslim teens so they read trash like harry potter full of magic and shirk or other devaint stuff. You will inshallah have a very big audience before you, ever thought about becoming a Muslim writer?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
manaal
09-07-2008, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton

Has anybody else been in a similar situation? Whether it be a talent for music, drawing/sculpting or photography, etc? Things that move you creatively, but ultimately are not congruent with Islam?
Personally, no. But have you seen how many Nasheed singers there are who make use of their talent in an Islamic manner? (E.g. Zain Bikha, Sami Yusuf, Raihaan). So why not use your creativity and skills to produce Islamic films and documentaries?

If you live in the UK, brother, you may be able to find a creative outlet at the "Islam Channel" tv station maybe, Insha Allah.

Malaikah
09-07-2008, 04:34 AM
I agree with manaal. You're talent does not have to go to waste! You can work on Islamic projects.

جوري
09-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Every one wal7mdlilah agrees, there is no sense letting your talent go to waste so long as you channel it in the right direction..

I love art history as a hobby, and I frequent museums whenever I can to catch new exhibits and learn, some people might think it a total waste, but you'd be surprised how much I have learned that serves me even when debating non-Muslims..

You can make documentaries, cartoons, political, nature movies, history etc
You can actually bring some integrity to the middle east whose movie/soap making is an abomination ..
Imagine how many people would love to learn about the battles of khalid ibn ilwaleed, or the invasion of the Tatars.. I have a movie idea for you right now actually, as Muslims back then lost over a thousand scholars, and were killed by the thousands most of them awaiting the Mehdi and how that parallels to our predicament today ..

you have the power to educate and delight at the same time.. I personally see nothing wrong with that...

:w:

Makky
09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Personally, no. But have you seen how many Nasheed singers there are who make use of their talent in an Islamic manner? (E.g. Zain Bikha, Sami Yusuf, Raihaan). So why not use your creativity and skills to produce Islamic films and documentaries?

If you live in the UK, brother, you may be able to find a creative outlet at the "Islam Channel" tv station maybe, Insha Allah.
I agree with you sister , brother RPwelton inshAllaah can use his skills to produce islamic documentaries , the Islamic Media now is in its early begining insha Allah he will find a way to utilize his skills

But i don't agree with mentioning Sami yusuf as a good Example, May Allah guide him, He uses musice in his Nasheeds which is Haram .

also "islamic channel isn't 100% pure ..insha ALLah he will find a pure way .

------
09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeh, giving up writing poetry.

_ALI_
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Salam rpwelton,
I have not been in a similar situation and my advice would be that you can use your talent in ways which are acceptable according to Islam. But I mainly want to tell you that giving up something you love for Allah is really inspiring. May Allah reward you for such a sacrifice.
003.092 لَنْ تَنَالُوا الْبِرَّ حَتَّى تُنْفِقُوا مِمَّا تُحِبُّونَ وَمَا تُنْفِقُوا مِنْ شَيْءٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ
003.092 By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give, of a truth Allah knoweth it well.
Al-Qur'an, 003.092 (Aal-E-Imran [The Family of Imran])
Text Copied from DivineIslam's Qur'an Viewer software v2.910

~*Fatima*~
09-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I have same problem ... I love drawin' sketches like anime or manga type. I can make Manga. Also I love to write Stories but I can't get rid of these hobbies ... I love to put my talent to islamic use but since I like to make Action, Fantasy, Adventures stories. I can't get them to me Totally Islamic but lil bit like morals and stuff. What Should I do?

crayon
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
When it comes to the arts, in islam has a couple restrictions that other artists would not have to deal with, but that doesn't mean one should give up art altogether.

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved photography, but only in the past couple of years have I actively taken part in it. I heard that taking photos of people was haram in the 4th(i think) grade, and that just made me stop there, not think about photography anymore. 5 years later though, we were talking about photography in my islamic class, the same thing, that portraits were haram. I thought to myself, well okay, I can take photos of everything but people/things with a soul/etc.

Later on I researched it, and there's a difference in opinion on whether photography comes under what was mentioned in the hadith, and I agree with the opinion that photography of people is not haram. But anyway, even before I learned this, I channeled my skill into what i knew was halal, and I went pretty far with it.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Your talent can be used for good or evil (not the best way to put it, but I'm sure you know what I mean). Channel your skill into the halal, not the haram. Islam needs people of all sorts, not just doctors and lawyers. Artists, poets, filmmakers, photographers, writers, activists, everything.

I don't know if you've heard of the director moustapha akkad? Made "the message" and "lion of the desert". I know those films weren't 100% within the borders of islam, but I think the western world needs more movies like that, movies that don't have the only lead muslims cast as the terrorists.

There's also documentaries, which are also great.

So to sum it up, use your gift in a way which pleases Allah and comes within the borders set by him. But don't give it up altogether, because the only thing worse than having no talent, is wasting your talent. Hope it all works out well for you!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-07-2008, 11:03 PM
a gift which i had to give up because it didnt fit in with islaam...

lol i feel like theres too many to list :p bro sacrificing for Allaahs sake is what islaams All about!!!

remember Ibrahim Alaihissalaam... put his own son on the spot for the sake of Allaah, and that is when he was called a true muslim for submitting. We're suppose to give up what we love for the sake of Allaah... subhanAllaah

one sahabi gave up his whole garden, another tore down a building he constructed, another gave up everything he had in wealth, another donated till jannah became guaranteed for him, subhanAllaah the list goes on and on...

jazakALlaah khair for this thread, it helped me a LOT !

coddles76
09-08-2008, 12:41 AM

I reverted to Islam about 10 months ago. Before converting, I had spent the past 12 years or so being obsessed with filmmaking.

It was my childhood dream to be a movie director ever since I was 11 years old. I was constantly making films, writing, dreaming up ideas. I've had a very creative and imaginative mind and that has really never ceased. I was pretty serious about making it my career and I wasn't going to let anything stop me. I had moved to Los Angeles, worked for film production companies down there (although ultimately LA was not for me), and had written several scripts and directed several films.

Then I discovered Islam and realized that my religion and my passion could not coexist. So I dropped filmmaking altogether, went and got a business degree and got married. It was a complete 180 degree turn around from what I was doing, although I never really hesitated in giving it up.

Asalam Alykum brother,

Maybe you can take Yusuf Islam(Formerly Cat Stevens) as an example. He left his music career (And a popular one at that) and replaced his beautiful talent by utilising it in Islam. Maybe you can do the same with your talent. I'm always looking a purchasing great movies and products to educate my children in islam.

Re.TiReD
09-08-2008, 01:13 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Sure he does. Look at Yusuf Islam : )

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S I just read the above post :-[

layla is here
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu
SubhanaAllah that Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has directed from ignorance to knowledge. I was an aspiring fashion designer before I became muslim then I gave it up afterwoods and turned ideas of short, flimsy dresses into ideas of stylish, classy jilbabs and hijab appropriate dresses. I am so happy for this transformation and I think I appreciate my new guideness more after experiencing the life of ignorance and misguidance for a time.
I think my gift was always there. It was my own error of not knowing how to use it until I found the clear guidance of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

------
09-21-2008, 10:54 AM
^ MashaAllaah...

Kas1m
09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I thought the guy was talking about making up stories not music.
As for that im exactly the same. I have tons of story ideas and im the same as you except im not into filming. I take my urge out by writing stories and there is nothing wrong with that.
Maybe we could collabrate

barney
09-21-2008, 11:17 AM
It would make sense if God is giving trials to people to test their faith, that another test would be what they do with gifts.

Umar001
09-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullah,

I know exactly how you feel, I know a brother who was making music, had songs and was recording others and then he became Muslim. And he says what's funny is that it was almost as if it was planned that he got into musix at the same time as he was discovering islam, so in the end, it was a test for him. And I know exactly what you mean abut not regretting your decision but feeling wierd sometimes.

bilkiss
09-21-2008, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ibnabdulhakim
a gift which i had to give up because it didnt fit in with islaam...

Lol i feel like theres too many to list :p bro sacrificing for allaahs sake is what islaams all about!!!

remember ibrahim alaihissalaam... Put his own son on the spot for the sake of allaah, and that is when he was called a true muslim for submitting. We're suppose to give up what we love for the sake of allaah... Subhanallaah

one sahabi gave up his whole garden, another tore down a building he constructed, another gave up everything he had in wealth, another donated till jannah became guaranteed for him, subhanallaah the list goes on and on...

Jazakallaah khair for this thread, it helped me a lot !
viva la tabligh!:d

Danah
09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Masha allah we got a bunch of talents people here in LI
brother, as you see the others...u have to direct your talent to the right things that allah like since it is a grace form Allah in the first place.

May allah guide u to the best ...Ameen

anatolian
09-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I think he can make islamic movies,write islamic stories.I believe art itself doesn't contradict Islam.

Yanal
11-02-2008, 06:24 AM
:sl:
Welcome to our world, the world of Muslims and their religon Islan. The answer to your title is in two ways. One, Allah gives us many tests that we don't realize ourselfs. Allah can send Angels to tempt us or test our sympathy for the poor. There is a story, that there were 3 people. One was bald the other two I don't remember what disability did they have. They got what they wanted. Then Allah gave them a test so he sent a Angel in form of a poor man and the Angel came to them one by one. The two people declined him but when the Angel went to the former-bald man he said take all my wealth all is Allahs. The Angel formed in his true shape and took everything away from the two who declined him and let the former bald person with it.:).
The other way could be from the Shytaan if for example you get a game and the adhaan starts and you are facing a opponent in the game the Shytaan will tempt you to play rather than pray. :w:

The Khan
11-02-2008, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by coddles76
Asalam Alykum brother,

Maybe you can take Yusuf Islam(Formerly Cat Stevens) as an example. He left his music career (And a popular one at that) and replaced his beautiful talent by utilising it in Islam. Maybe you can do the same with your talent. I'm always looking a purchasing great movies and products to educate my children in islam.
He returned back to singing. He didn't find a single aya prohibiting music in the Qur'an. The album he made in 2006 is "An other cup". Wind and string instruments present.

He's still continuing his Islamic activities.

cute123
11-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Walekum Assalam

first of all akhee , welcome to islam. May Allah Tallah keep you steadfast in Islam. Try to find peace in some islamic activities and clear out your mind for such thoughts.

rpwelton
11-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I've actually been considering making an Islamic documentary. I'll post my idea once it's more concrete, but I thing the important thing right now is to educate people in America about Islam.

chances
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
yes I think he does, to see how much you thank him... to see if you remember him even when you have worldly things

Makky
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I've actually been considering making an Islamic documentary. I'll post my idea once it's more concrete, but I thing the important thing right now is to educate people in America about Islam.
through your skills you can reach more than your people surrounding you in America..

right?

there are many reverts there but there are few or let me say it might be just you who can make Islamic documentary ...

Do you need an idea?

seeker-of-light
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~*Fatima*~
I have same problem ... I love drawin' sketches like anime or manga type. I can make Manga. Also I love to write Stories but I can't get rid of these hobbies ... I love to put my talent to islamic use but since I like to make Action, Fantasy, Adventures stories. I can't get them to me Totally Islamic but lil bit like morals and stuff. What Should I do?
oh your a manga artist too? me as well :( i suppose i will have to give that up though since it is against islam and allahs wishes for me.

The Khan
11-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Sister, nope, I've come across Muslim manga artists. I watch anime and read manga. I think it's all fine as long as there's nothing immoral, like ecchi.

I mean, love Hina is definitely haraam, but I see no reason why, let's say, Gundam Zeta should be haraam.

abumalik
03-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Salam,

I'm in the UK trying to set up a Muslim filmmakers group. Wondering whether you'd be interesting in taking part, even if it's from a distance in the US. Nothing much is happening at the moment and I'm still trying to find enough Muslims who are serious about doing things. But for now you can check out my blog for some ideas and some goodies to download: musliminsomniac.blogspot.com

Salam

Al Qalam
03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Assalamu Alaikum! I've worked for the past 30 years as cartoonist for all of the magazines and newspapers in the U.S. I just recently reverted to Islam, and in that process have had to do a great deal of hard thinking and praying about where to go with my work; should I retire; should I seek another line of work, etc. It has been quite a struggle, but I'm beginning to find peace with my decision to stay in my career. I'm also quite comfortable knowing that Allah knows what is in my heart while I'm working.

I think one of the key things to keep in mind as a Muslim employed in the arts is that we are first and foremost, despite even our greatest efforts, just artists, not gods. Allah has provided us with tools to bring shape to thoughts and ideas we have, but we must remember that true creativity is solely the domain of Allah. In that sense, to say that we, as artists, create, is essentially the wrong use of the word. Only Allah can create. What we do as artists is gather and assemble that which has already been created. The very first man to write the word "Allah" on paper did not create his pen, nor his ink, nor his paper. He merely gathered the elements and compounds created by Allah, and made them useful for his purpose.

You as a filmmaker, and me as a cartoonist create nothing. At our best, all we can do is express our ideas by gathering and assembling Allah's creations to represent what is on our minds. As long as the artist perceives himself as merely an assembler and not a creator, then the artist remains on the path of Islam.

Remember that our talents, drives, and ideas are all gifts and blessings from Allah. In his love and mercifulness, he has trusted us with the capacity to enrich our own lives as well as the lives of others. I'm sure you're aware that any artistic medium can be used as a weapon to harm, just as much as it can be a means of self-expression, communication or education. Allah has given us the materials to assmeble knives, and we either use those knives for cooking, carving, or killing. How we choose to use the knife determines our salvation. How we choose to use our art also determines our salvation.

As a filmmaker, you have been given a tremendous gift to open windows of inspiration, experience, and learning to millions of people. Filmmaking is the "knife" you've been given, and how you use it, with Allah knowing full well what your true intentions are, will determine your salvation. Will your knife prepare nourishment for the table of humanity, or will it draw blood and cause pain? Allah has given you a sacred trust with a very powerful tool as an expression of his love for you. As you know, there are may art forms being used today to draw blood, bring tears, and fuel anger and hatred, when instead, they could be used to educate, inspire, and enrich our lives.

The first time I read the Quran, about 3 years ago, my knees shook so bad I had to sit down before I fell down. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I realized then and there I would have to make some serious changes in my work. I'm still a cartoonist, but I now work with a greater acknowledgment of the precious gift and the loving trust I have been given. I strive to harm no one, to respect the creations of Allah and the faith of Islam. Hopefully the smiles I strive to bring through my work ease the pains and sorrows of others...and the "knife" I have been trusted with draws no blood.

May be Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.