/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sixthform or College?

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
:sl:

inshallah this year is my last year in high school. am gonna go to futher education inshallah but i dont no where to go sixthform or college.

my mum says sixthform and my dad says college.

now that i dont know where to go i want u all to tell me which one is the best and why please.

Sixthform or College?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
:salamext:

6th Form :shade:

Coz its the closest atmosphere and environment that I got to school and I loved it!

SixTen
09-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Go to the one - which has your subjects and has performed better (resultwise), period.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
6th form, teachers are obligated to help more!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
09-14-2008, 02:36 PM
College, coz if like me you went to a close knit school before, it prepares you for uni, if you plan to continue your studies, as your left to your own devices and study more outside the lectures :D

Re.TiReD
09-14-2008, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
College, coz if like me you went to a close knit school before, it prepares you for uni, if you plan to continue your studies, as your left to your own devices and study more outside the lectures :D
Haha thats tru ^^

School for me was segregated and 6th Form was in same building aswell...Uni was like a massive shocker for me .... too many dudes for my system to cope with... so I guess if ur considering uni....take the above advice on board ^^

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 02:44 PM
yeh inshallah i'll go to uni but u never know whats gonna happen.

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Go to the one - which has your subjects and has performed better (resultwise), period.
yeh both have the subjects i want.

and they are both:thumbs_up

Güven
09-14-2008, 02:46 PM
srry but whats a 6th form ??? :?

Re.TiReD
09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Its year 12....Offshoot from school :)

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
6th form is like college but u stay in the same high school.

Mikayeel
09-14-2008, 02:49 PM

I have studied one year in a 6th form, afterwhich is switched to a college. And honestly a college is much better, first of all much more freedom is given to u(like stated above it prepares u for uni)

Teachers are more professional (i even believe better in most cases). They are only dedicated to teach college level, unlike high school in which teachers teach both ways.

So think about it, and dnt rush into it :)

:w:

Güven
09-14-2008, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
6th form is like college but u stay in the same high school.
OOh Now I understand!! Than I would Say College :)

Soulja Girl
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM

I say college init, Idk! :X

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 08:40 PM
:bump:

i need more ppl to vote since its a tie :hmm:

Afifa
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
id rather go college...but then agen 6th form could be good too:-\ im in 2 minds at the moment too :?

m102313
09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
It depends on the individual really, if you are the type of person that needs to be pushed to get your work completed then 6th form is the place for you. I know college prepares you for uni, but there's no point going if your not ready. If you slack, then you'll FAIL! Teachers will not be running after you to get your assignments completed. I know of many ppl who got A*'s in thier GCSE's and then failed @ A-Levels because they were not used to the college life.

Mikayeel
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM

^ Thats true! Thats why the poll would prove useless. It will all come down to u ukhti.

One thing to note aswell is that when ur in 6th form u will probally have alot of friends. Which can be a distraction from learning, that happened with me(i went nd failed that year). Second year however i went into a college nd i ddnt know anyone, nd the atmosphere was more serious (more suitable to study) no kids running around, everyone seems to be getting on with their work. And that year i have done really well alhamdulilah :)

جوري
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
what is sixth form? and how is college different than university?
forgive my ignorance we have a different system in the U.S

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
what is sixth form? and how is college different than university?
forgive my ignorance we have a different system in the U.S

it goes like this here sis primary school then high school then 6th form/college and then uni.

so 6th form its like college but u stay in the same high school

جوري
09-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I see.. thank you..
my vote then is for college..
it is good to have a change of venue -- like a transitional year in the halfway house to prep you for the big house..

but ultimately you should actually do what you think is best for you..not what folks think you ought to do..

Nájlá
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
jazakum allah khair

^ ur right its my choice but i find myself best in both.

but i think i'll go to college because i get more freedom and also for what bro ra0anr stated.

------
09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
can i ask what the difference is?!

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
yeah....read below ^^

format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

I have studied one year in a 6th form, afterwhich is switched to a college. And honestly a college is much better, first of all much more freedom is given to u(like stated above it prepares u for uni)

Teachers are more professional (i even believe better in most cases). They are only dedicated to teach college level, unlike high school in which teachers teach both ways.

So think about it, and dnt rush into it :)

format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
It depends on the individual really, if you are the type of person that needs to be pushed to get your work completed then 6th form is the place for you. I know college prepares you for uni, but there's no point going if your not ready. If you slack, then you'll FAIL! Teachers will not be running after you to get your assignments completed. I know of many ppl who got A*'s in thier GCSE's and then failed @ A-Levels because they were not used to the college life.
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
I see.. thank you..
my vote then is for college..
it is good to have a change of venue -- like a transitional year in the halfway house to prep you for the big house..

but ultimately you should actually do what you think is best for you..not what folks think you ought to do..

The Ruler
09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Sixth form is the best for you if you want good grades and teaching. College gives one too much freedom, which they tend to abuse. It's pointless going to college even if you are the most career driven person. Freedom is much too seducing for us weak beings to ignore.

gladTidings
09-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Salaam sis....

Im just thinking maybe you could do istikhara ??

The teachers at our sixth form always prioritised the lower school students, especially the GCSE students. The sixth formers that I met seemed to be still in their high school mode and never really grew out of it. The sixthform accepted just about any of the previous high school students which meant the average grades werent very impressive even though the GCSE grades were pretty good.

I choose to go to a college because I wanted a change from high school and because its a top college (and they accepted me:P). Im glad I made this decision because I had alot more support at my college than my sister did at the sixth form. I dont think the freedom is neccesarily a bad thing, you'll learn more about yourself and how to manage your time effectively before you go off to uni.

The Ruler
09-20-2008, 08:54 PM
^That's a good point. You may need to look into the sixth forms you want to apply to. The sixth form that I go to now wanted 6 A*s to Bs and B and above on the subjects you'll be taking. They would not accept any student that did not meet their minimum requirements. So if it's a sixth form like that, I can guarantee that you'll get the best grades even with the minimum work you may put in (that's if you're lazy). It was the best way out for me. :-D

truemuslim
09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
i so would say sixth form...

only coz the name is kwl....

whats it mean???????

Na7lah
09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
ok in US we hav highschool, ninth grade till 12th grade then college then univerity

Al-Hanbali
09-20-2008, 10:21 PM

I think it really depends on the person. If you're someone who lazed about through GCSE years and only worked towards the end and came out with good grades; then going to a Sixth Form wont really do you any good if you're planning on using the same tactic. On the other hand, if you're really hard working and will put in the effort no matter what; I guess you'll do well wherever you go. But yh its true, colleges do give a lot more freedom compared to Sixth Forms.

truemuslim
09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
ok in US we hav highschool, ninth grade till 12th grade then college then univerity
and them?

fatima_01
09-20-2008, 10:25 PM

inshallah this year is my last year in high school. am gonna go to futher education inshallah but i dont no where to go sixthform or college.

my mum says sixthform and my dad says college.

now that i dont know where to go i want u all to tell me which one is the best and why please.

Sixthform or College?
u knw sis the best thing is take time and really think abt wat u gna do nd things cuz u dnt wanna waste a wle year doin summit tht u myt nt actually like or worst ur just doin it z ppl are making u do it, wen i was leaving school it took me a whole year till i got really really bored nd decied wat i wanted to do:p

Al-Hanbali
09-20-2008, 10:26 PM
and them?
Primary School: Years 1-6
Secondary school: Years 7-11
College/Sixth Form: Years 12-13
University

truemuslim
09-20-2008, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
Primary School: Years 1-6

Secondary school: Years 7-11
College/Sixth Form: Years 12-13

University
wow you only got 3 years in high school???? No senior year???? wow so kwl. i wanna go to uk now :statisfie
Jazakallah khair bro.

m102313
09-21-2008, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
wow you only got 3 years in high school???? No senior year???? wow so kwl. i wanna go to uk now :statisfie
Jazakallah khair bro.
It's actually 5 Years (7,8,9,10,11).

Al-Zaara
09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Selam aleykum,

I voted 'College' and I really hope you choose wisely and won't regret it later on, inshaAllah!

Make a list, go through all the pros and cons in both sixth form and college and then you'll have it in black and white what you seem more suitable for. Set up your priorities and be totally honest with yourself.
Maybe you could ask a teacher who knows you well to help you, or ask some "study-advicer" if you've got any there.

Do pray istikharah if you can. :thumbs_up

lato
09-21-2008, 05:26 PM
i am in sixthform and i think it is bette cuz they help u as in college they don't help u as bette then collega and the teacher may now u cuz u have then in other like yr 10 or 11 but some people may like collage cuz they like the new people around them

Re.TiReD
09-28-2008, 04:55 PM

My bro is has the same dilemma :exhausted I'm convincing him to go 6th form, it'll be better for him IMO Insha'Allah...

chacha_jalebi
09-28-2008, 04:59 PM
:D

i voted 6 form woooo

but like i understand why many people go college, like in 6form its gona be you and all your buddies from yr 7 - 11, if you got a bad rep or got bullied, then your likely to change, like i see people who were quite and that, and they go college, and they act like now they are act like a celebrity! so thats good for them :D

it depends on the individual, if you like your current teachers/friends - 6 form

if not college!!

but they do say people become corrupt in college :embarrass

Re.TiReD
09-28-2008, 05:01 PM
^^ yeh my bro might start dossing about at College so I tryna pursuade him to go 6th form since I think its more disciplined....

chacha_jalebi
09-28-2008, 05:03 PM
^ u can doss around at 6form :D but doss with the right people :D

H@fiz Aziz
09-28-2008, 05:03 PM
college is better teachers care for you still and subjects are more available

Re.TiReD
09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
^ u can doss around at 6form :D but doss with the right people :D
I couldnt :| I was tied down lol

format_quote Originally Posted by H@fiz Aziz
college is better teachers care for you still and subjects are more available

Hasan Ali
09-29-2008, 01:11 AM
college would be better

aiyesha
10-07-2008, 04:25 PM
college is better cuz ur wiv ppl ur own age n it will prepare u for uni

PuRePoiSon
10-24-2008, 07:35 PM
IMO - 6th Form, Especially If Your Highschool Offers it.

Liberty
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
College, it could lay a great foundation for further studies, and you'd have an advantage the year after, as you'd have already experienced what they'd be experiencing.

Why delay the inevitable? You'll be going to college anyway.
I wish I'd had the option, I would've gone straight to uni instead of 7th form.
But whatever God wills is fine with me :)

Orn
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
College definitely

Liberty
11-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Also, more freedom, that's always a plus ;)

Banu_Hashim
11-11-2008, 01:12 PM
It's totally up to you... With Sixth Form your teachers know you well (providing it's the sixth form of the school you've been going to for 5 years), and usually the classes are smaller, which is good so you can get the most out of your teacher.

At college you'll get exactly the same academically, but the environment is different. Alot more people etc. and i guess more of of a uni feel.

I'm a sixth form myself.... second year, and I love it. There's tons of new people... half the yr i would say, and and also people you've grown up with. So i'd say sixth form.

Nájlá
11-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Am going for college inshallah

m102313
11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Am going for college inshallah
Good choice. Insha'allah if you keep your head down and study hard for 2 years, you will succeed. Lot of people get distracted in college.... well actually you can say the same for school 6th form or uni.

Nájlá
11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
Good choice. Insha'allah if you keep your head down and study hard for 2 years, you will succeed. Lot of people get distracted in college.... well actually you can say the same for school 6th form or uni.

yeh inshallah your right.....

nebula
11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
i go to a sixth form college, but its not part of a secondary school. Its gd tho.

Fishman
11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I went to Sixth Form and it was horrible, I dropped out a few weeks ago.

Banu_Hashim
11-19-2008, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I went to Sixth Form and it was horrible, I dropped out a few weeks ago.
why? what happened?

Fishman
11-19-2008, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
why? what happened?
Before starting Sixth Form I was feeling quite positive about things. After a few weeks there I was close to tears almost every day, constantly being bullied and attacked by younger students, not understanding or concentrating on the lessons at all and generally failing.

Nájlá
11-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Before starting Sixth Form I was feeling quite positive about things. After a few weeks there I was close to tears almost every day, constantly being bullied and attacked by younger students, not understanding or concentrating on the lessons at all and generally failing.
really? thats very sad to hear.

then what did you do? did u go to college?

Banu_Hashim
11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
really? Sorry to hear that. Generally the younger students are actually quite rude nowadays... \just randomly saying stuff... I remember in my day when we actually respected sixth formers! :P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.