/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tarawyeh and children misbehaving in the masjid

MaiCarInMtl
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Assalamu alaikum everyone,

I hope Ramadan is going well for everyone.

I went to the mosque yesterday for the first time ever for prayer and tarawyeh. I hate to sound like a real stick in the mud, but what can one do regarding naughty children in the mosque?!

While I was *trying* to pray, various children kept running between rows of prayers, standing in front of us, staring at us, then running, chatting, screaming, falling over us... one even touched my hips/backside while I was prostrating! I found it very hard to concentrate and so I feel like i didn't even pray.

Aren't women supposed to keep their misbehaving (or very young) kids at home? What can I do next time I go? Someone told me I can block the child with my hand and shoosh them, but am I allowed? I'm sorry, but my blood was boiling by the time I left! To the point where I wonder if I should even go back. As a newly converted person, I'd like to go because it exposes me to more women, I like the sense of community. But if I cannot even concentrate on my one on one time with god because kids are running around, staring at me, being boisterious and stuffing their hands where they shouldn't be while I am trying to pray... Why should I miss out on this great opportunity because some people can't keep their kids in check or have the sense to stay at home?

Sorry, I guess I'm still steamed about this. As a first experience, it really was a horrific one...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brother_Mujahid
09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like these kids mess around quite alot.

Its quite annoying when the kids come and just talk and sit at the back.

I think you should try speaking to the person in charge or a person in authority in the sisters side. If not try speaking to the imam if theres a phone number for the mosque and telling them your predicament.

Cabdullahi
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
sister,i hope you are doing well inshallah and its good to hear that you have been praying salat taraweh at the mosque :)

Thats children for you they never get tired of playing,so i would suggest you to just leave them and or even better just try to calm them down without giving that bewitched look that will scare them away and dont pinch them!

The prophet (saw) had children jumping on his back while he prayed and,he never shouted or told them off

Güven
09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
SubhanAllah, Its just like mine Masjid
Yesterday there was a soccer game and they started to make noise soo hard ,but its been the whole ramadan Children Are even throwing stones to the windows of the neighbours they are making me crazy :raging:

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al Amaanah
09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
:wasalamex

Thats children for you they never get tired of playing,so i would suggest you to just leave them and or even better just try to calm them down without giving that bewitched look that will scare them away and dont pinch them!

The prophet (saw) had children jumping on his back while he prayed and,he never shouted or told them off
na3am we know thats what children do, but all the time in the masjid? this can be very disturbing for the people who're trying to concentrate. i would've talked to the mothers to keep their children a bit quiet, they cant just let their children do whatever they want to do. or maybe someone can watch the kids while others are praying. wallahu a3lam.

truemuslim
09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
lol in my masjid, sadly, its not just kids, its even the ladies and the teens and all. lol. they all like talking as LOUD as they POSIBLY can! and they laugh that creepy horrible fat old lady laugh that they use in horror movies, they walk around and be annoying its to sad to say. in the the mens section the guys are even louder, and its only half them, the other half is playing sports. :raging: o well

for the kids, go in a spot that they arent playing in most, try to tell them to go somewhere else, like OUTSIDE, talk to them kindly, and after all that, jus try and ignore. :)

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Awww....I dont know about anybody else but children at the masjid during taraweeh doesnt bother me as much as it would outside of Ramadaan. I think its the blessings of Ramadaan making me patient. Lol SubhanAllah.

But for real, at the masjid its the same for us too...But we allow it coz as Mr.Imaam says: We gotta let the children feel at ease in the masjid, so that the coming generation will keep the house of Allah (swt) alive also.

The youngsters (teenagers) are encouraged to gently scold the kids rather than the elders doing it and losing their cool. Plus kids are more likely to listen to their peers :)

chacha_jalebi
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
in our mosque the police came and told us some kids where lettin of peoples car alarms lol! gangsta :shade:

but the little kids, no one minds them, i think we gotta bare in mind that honestly lol, the kids are forced to come along with their parents and then stayin their for either 8 or 20 rakahs is a mission, like when your really concentratin you might hav kids run infront of you, and you lose your rhythm and gotta start the recitation again, but its ramadan the month of patience and stuff:D and if you be rude or stuff, kids will get put off, we need to be gentle with them inshallah

and how can you bee mean to kiddies or harsh with them:( with their small hands and feets

Güven
09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh I forgot to Tell The One In My masjid Are Not Little Kids They Are Full grown Teenagers ,
Today I saw one Smoking Outside And He Told Me if I smoke too :skeleton:

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Oh I forgot to Tell The One In My masjid Are Not Little Kids They Are Full grown Teenagers ,
Today I saw one Smoking Outside And He Told Me if I smoke too :skeleton:

Yup seen.

I came out one day and this bro pulled out a smoke...Its like what theeee! But then u gotta make the excuses so maybe it was just a .... erm maybe he cant beat his addiction just yet :skeleton:

chacha_jalebi
09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
^ maybe he was cold :embarrass

yeah the elder ones like the 16 yr olds, and stuff they need their ears to be pulled lol, i love the wannabe gangsta ones :D bless them,

IbnAbdulHakim
09-15-2008, 10:27 PM
you know what cracks me up, when brothers play around wiv their mobies till the end of the first rakaah of teraweeh and then get up just when the takbeer is announced

thats just fishy

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
you know what cracks me up, when brothers play around wiv their mobies till the end of the first rakaah of teraweeh and then get up just when the takbeer is announced

thats just fishy
How does that work? :s

But on topic: this sis prayed holding her 5 month old kid...bleshhh!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
How does that work? :s

But on topic: this sis prayed holding her 5 month old kid...bleshhh!
a lot of brothers think the prayer counts as long as u get that first sujood, so they goof till that sujood... and then make takbir n join the ranks just as the 1st sujood is about to commence

i really thought i was OT :S

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 10:32 PM
a lot of brothers think the prayer counts as long as u get that first sujood, so they goof till that sujood... and then make takbir n join the ranks just as the 1st sujood is about to commence

i really thought i was OT :S
Oh...very fishy indeed. try tellin em akhee? some nice gentle da'wah.

Ansariyah
09-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Hmm the good thing I guess for us is that we have less space so the room is packed out with no space for kiddies to mess about.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh...very fishy indeed. try tellin em akhee? some nice gentle da'wah.
i wud if i didnt fear them thinkin im bringin on the "holier then thou"

i like giving sly dawah, like once me n a few friends went into a takeaway and a few sisters walked in all exposed so my friend goes to me

"MAZ!!! what did i tell you bout showing off your hair! DIDNT I TELL U TO HAVE SOME SHAME AND COVER UP" he was literally shouting at me :|

me:.. Wat the ... :| *just looks at friend shocked*

friend says underbreath: *relax akhee its dawah to the girls behind you*

me: still looks angrily at him :blind:

Re.TiReD
09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
i wud if i didnt fear them thinkin im bringin on the "holier then thou"

i like giving sly dawah, like once me n a few friends went into a takeaway and a few sisters walked in all exposed so my friend goes to me

"MAZ!!! what did i tell you bout showing off your hair! DIDNT I TELL U TO HAVE SOME SHAME AND COVER UP" he was literally shouting at me :|

me:.. Wat the ... :| *just looks at friend shocked*

friend says underbreath: *relax akhee its dawah to the girls behind you*

me: still looks angrily at him :blind:
;D masha'Allah at that bro.

Well here's wat u shud do. (I'm assuming ur bro's go taraweeh with u?)

Say: hey bruv....was that YOUR foneee? :raging: I swear I hear it one more time man and dassit it...cant feel the khushoo' here..where the KHUSHOO ATTTT!!??? :raging:

and others shud get the hint :|

IbnAbdulHakim
09-15-2008, 10:52 PM

and others shud get the hint :|
eiva that or they jump in and diss my bro goin,

"YEAH BLAD, STOP DISTURBIN THAT KHUSHOOOO"

then carry on wiv their mobies becoz trust me, i can see these bros lack serious hayaa'

truemuslim
09-15-2008, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
in our mosque the police came and told us some kids where lettin of peoples car alarms lol! gangsta :shade:

but the little kids, no one minds them, i think we gotta bare in mind that honestly lol, the kids are forced to come along with their parents and then stayin their for either 8 or 20 rakahs is a mission, like when your really concentratin you might hav kids run infront of you, and you lose your rhythm and gotta start the recitation again, but its ramadan the month of patience and stuff:D and if you be rude or stuff, kids will get put off, we need to be gentle with them inshallah

and how can you bee mean to kiddies or harsh with them:( with their small hands and feets
i would say the same thing u jus said (about the kids bein angels and bla bla bla) buuut, they gots ther own playroom! full of toys and stuff, and a babysitter! but shes always on crack so... like when i walk in ther to check out something she lock me in! and never let me out, then i tell her i aint no baby she aint here to babysit me and she like i dont care, so i jus like hah lol nice one, and walk away. and out. and sometimes she wanna fight, so i grant her her wish. :statisfie coz im a jinni. :Evil:
so if kids got ther own room then why they comin to us?
messed up masjid messed up people messed up twisted rules! :D o well. the benefit of praying at home :)

.: Jannati :.
09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
:salamext:,

lool Subhan'Allah I hear about these stories from my little brothers all the time, I just find it funny ...but perhaps it can be seen as a challenge to show the children who mess about what Salaah is really about through demonstrating and leading by example?

...Older brothers should not only explain the inappropriateness of misbehaving but also lead the younger children to understand why Salaah is so important by helping them pray as well! Constant nagging and always being told off, may provoke them to be rebellious and they may just prove to be hard work in a negative light. maybe this problem can turn out to be something that will increase us in reward rather than cause our blood to boil lol..

p.s. Muhsinah's back *smiles*

BlackMamba
09-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Ya in our Masjid we make sure the kids dont go crazy. All the kids are praying next to their parents and many of the teenagers are leading the salah. I am very happy with my masjid

Na7lah
09-16-2008, 01:38 AM
we've had that problem for the past few years, we got some sisters together an organized a babysitting for the kids, *the brothers have it too*

Basically every night after praying isha, two sisters and two brothers volunteer to look after the kids that night in these rooms, *one in the men section the other in the women's*

I personally don't volunteer with the kids ;D but i try gettin donations, toys, islamic videos...to keep the kids busy. it turned out great mashallah :)

*now they need something for the teenage boys* the girls have been dealt with last year but the boys don't like listening lol

syilla
09-16-2008, 04:51 AM
:salamext:

i understand what you're talking sis. I don't know why, but when comes to masjid...its like a big playground to him.. i really hope someone will tell my son off... :X

:hiding:

aminahjaan
09-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Salam, Nah I understand loud children in the Masjid are very disturbing and annoying, you mess up in prayer somtimes.
In the Masjid I go to, the Imaam makes sure that all the kids under 18, are by their Mom/Dad he always reminds them on the Microphone, so maybe you should tell the Imaam to accommodate the children like that OR if he can tell the women that have babies or toddlers that can't be tamed, it might be a better idea to stay home. But then if it's a big Masjid try a babysitting section.

Kas1m
09-16-2008, 05:38 AM
They are not loud in our masjid. We have a minute community. Most of the kids are proper well behaved. Ive seen worse though.

BNDGR
09-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Asalam alaikum all,
This is a good post. I am on both ends of the discussion reg. I have a 4yr old who either stays with me during prayer or our Masjid has a babysitting room. I am a revert so this is very new to her, I am teaching her the respect of the Salat and how not to be moving around or talking during prayer as to not disturb others. She has gone in front of people while they are praying when she didn't know, so now she does and I enforce her to behave. Parents ultlimatly need to have this respect for thier bros and sisters or take kids into kids room. You know younger kids are anxious and can't sit still too long, not really thier faults, just comes in time.
As for the teens, they know better but a gentle slight reminder could be just the thing to remind them of what they are there for.

Kas1m
09-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Good. Inshallah she will get used to it. Just keep telling her politely and she will get the hang of it but if you dont tell her then she will think ok its just another thing. This way kids get spoiled. Ive been always taught to read salah and now alhamdulillah i dont miss it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.