/* */

View Full Version : What is Gravity??? Magnetic force? wrong!

Hamayun
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I have been wondering... Have you?

What is gravity??? :?

Magnetic force? Nope! Coz that would only apply to metals.

What causes gravity??? Does anyone know? If anything, the speed at which the earth is spinning... the centrifugal force should send us flying into space :?

Subhan Allah!!! Another one of Allah's wonders. :ace:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Gravity is the annoying natural phenomenon that keeps us from flying.
Gravity sucks.

(although it is helpful when it comes to not being sucked into space... hmmm..)

Tornado
09-18-2008, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Gravity is the annoying natural phenomenon that keeps us from flying.
Gravity sucks.

(although it is helpful when it comes to not being sucked into space... hmmm..)
Trust me, you definitely want gravity, you'd never get back to Earth without it : ). What is gravity? If you find out, give the physicists a call, they'll be sure to contact you. Gravity is bending of space and time :rollseyes. Imagine a trampoline, put a bowling ball in the center and put a tennis ball on the outer edge. The heavy bowling ball would pull down the trampoline, which is space and time, the tennis ball would go towards it down the slope.

Hamayun
09-18-2008, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tornado
Trust me, you definitely want gravity, you'd never get back to Earth without it : ). What is gravity? If you find out, give the physicists a call, they'll be sure to contact you. Gravity is bending of space and time :rollseyes. Imagine a trampoline, put a bowling ball in the center and put a tennis ball on the outer edge. The heavy bowling ball would pull down the trampoline, which is space and time, the tennis ball would go towards it down the slope.
You used the word heavy for the bowling ball :?

But for the ball to have weight you would still need gravity...

So even with space like a trampoline to make it work you would need a force pulling the ball down.. like gravity :D

Therefore that contradicts your theory i'm afraid. :-[

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tornado
09-19-2008, 02:21 AM
It's not my theory :D. It was an analogy. The trampoline being the space, the bowling ball being a large object, tennis ball being attracted to the bowling ball. The mass of the Earth bends the fabric of space and time and that's gravity :). It sounds sci-fi though, but as I said, if you figure out what gravity is, give the physicists a call, they're still hunting for answers. Wouldn't you know it, gravity probably acts may act over different dimensions : O and is why it's soooooo weak.

barney
09-19-2008, 02:56 AM
In a nutshell it is a force acting on Newtons third law.Evry action there is a equal and opposite reaction.
The Earth itself experiences an equal and opposite force to that acting say on a falling object, meaning that the Earth also accelerates towards the object. However, because the mass of the Earth is huge, the acceleration of the Earth by this same force is negligible, when measured relative to the system's center of mass.

So the harder we are chucked accross space the sticker we are.

Give it a try. Get on a roundabout and drive around it fast. Your acting against gravity, so you feel heavier. Get in a fighter jet and pull some turns. Your Gravity will increase. You will feel like you are made of lead.
Get into space where there is a vacum and you are in effect weightless. You still have mass, you have density. But are in effect weightless. On the moon you could pick up a car.

alcurad
09-19-2008, 03:07 AM
good answer barney, ummm also to my knowledge physically there is no such thing as centripetal/centrifugal force, rather it's gravity.

there are some interesting theories about gravity, one being M-theory which in a very simplified way of saying it, says that gravity is a 'thread' or 'open string', Google it for more info :)

Hamayun
09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the answer Barney. Its good info.

It still doesnt answer all my questions but it was still a good answer.

Your roundabout theory still depends on gravity to work. With zero gravity you will have zero weight even if you are on a roundabout or a rocket or a jet.

Therefore gravity seems to be a force in itself that is independent of centrifugal forces.

Also what makes planets follow a certain orbit?

If the orbit around the sun was perfectly round I would understand that it is a gravitational force from the sun holding on to us.

But the orbit is oval which means we move towards and away from the sun depending on the time of year.

Why then do we not get sucked into the sun when we get closer as the gravitational pull is a lot stronger. Also vice versa why doesnt the earth get thrown out once it has moved away from the sun?

Its not a trick question. Just curious thats all... :)

Musaafirah
09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
I can't seem to find anything that answers your question, but here's a link you can check out...

Click here

Hamayun
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks Musaafir. That is quite interesting. I am intrigued by gravity lol.

Tornado
09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

If the orbit around the sun was perfectly round I would understand that it is a gravitational force from the sun holding on to us.

But the orbit is oval which means we move towards and away from the sun depending on the time of year.

Why then do we not get sucked into the sun when we get closer as the gravitational pull is a lot stronger. Also vice versa why doesnt the earth get thrown out once it has moved away from the sun?
The gravity isn't strong enough to suck us in. As we get closer to the sun, the speed of the Earth increases but since it's not heading directly towards the sun directly, we miss the sun and continue in that direction, then as we move away from the sun, the sun's gravity pulls us back again, the Earth speeds slows down and then speeds towards the sun again, then we miss the sun again, etc. Also, if you look at satellites, they are always falling towards the Earth, but because of the curvature of the Earth and because it's speed is just enough, it stays in orbit.

Fishman
09-19-2008, 08:37 PM
:sl:
Gravity is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, the other three being the strong nuclear force (responsible for positively-charged protons being stuck together, it is very strong!), the weak nuclear force (holds quarks together) and the electomagnetic force (causes most everyday phenomena, such as objects hitting each other, pushing and pulling, magnetism etc).
Gravity has infinite range, meaning that the sun is pulling on stars in another galaxy, and it is exerted by every object with mass in the universe. However, it is also the weakest force, and it is not noticed unless the objects involved are very heavy, like planets or stars.
:w:

barney
09-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Tornado explains it very well here. It's nothing magical, just physics.

What I find facinating is that out of trillions of stars their must be only a few billion that have planets with similar gravitatioanl fields to us. Lifeforms on higher gravity planets would be shorter and have evolved to their surroundings accordingly. So a alien race on such a planet would have massive strength to overcome the gravity and be able to chuck a earthly cricket ball hundreds of yards. Lower Gravity creatures in our gravity would find themselves struggeling to walk, as if immersed in water.

roohani.doctor
09-26-2008, 07:32 AM
random --> but will there be gravity in jannah? or jahannam for that matter?

barney
09-26-2008, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by londonfog
Well unless the Angels wings are for asthetic purposes only then I would imagine there is.

جوري
09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by londonfog
Earthly laws don't apply to other planets, let alone the hereafter ..

we'll be a different creation all together, especially those who dwell in hell

and Allah knows best

barney
09-26-2008, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Earthly laws don't apply to other planets, let alone the hereafter ..

we'll be a different creation all together, especially those who dwell in hell

and Allah knows best

So no gravity? The wings are hence asthetic only? Gabrials wings are allegedly 600 miles wide, a muslim from the forums told me.

Hamayun
09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Gabrials wings are allegedly 600 miles wide, a muslim from the forums told me.
eh?? :?

جوري
09-26-2008, 09:10 AM
So no gravity? The wings are hence asthetic only? Gabrials wings are allegedly 600 miles wide, a muslim from the forums told me.
I reckon banana bags were invented in England, seeing how many more drunks you have per capita compared to the U.S..

I suggest you check yourself to the nearest ER and ask them to hook you up to one, and pray they can salvage something of your mamillary body while cutting down your cost for being so insightful into your own condition.

cheers

Nerd
09-26-2008, 09:24 AM

What is gravity??? :?
Its simply the force of attraction between two bodies that possess mass... :?

What causes gravity???
To date scientists have only been able to come up with hypothesis regarding this; it is hypothesized that a mass-less particle, referred to as the "graviton" acts as the force mediator for gravity. Thus far no one has detected a graviton and it remains a theoretical entity.

Chuck
09-27-2008, 08:54 PM
No gravity means no need for thrust for controlled movement in space? This will be news for NASA :giggling:

Hamayun
09-27-2008, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
No gravity means no need for thrust for controlled movement in space? This will be news for NASA :giggling:
Excellent point!!! I didn't think of that myself lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!