/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have to eat and drink using our right hands?

amer426
09-20-2008, 12:33 AM
salam brothers nd sisters. i wantd noe y v hav 2 eat/drink wit our right hands. i can understand abt eating becuz its more hygenic. wat abt drinking. can ne giv me an explaination.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
09-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't think people always used to drink with cups, a lot of the time they would just hold some water in their hand and drink from that, so that could be one reason.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-20-2008, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amer426
salam brothers nd sisters. i wantd noe y v hav 2 eat/drink wit our right hands. i can understand abt eating becuz its more hygenic. wat abt drinking. can ne giv me an explaination.
why would you wanna hold a cup you drink from with a hand you clean your nastiness with?

------
09-20-2008, 12:26 PM
:wasalamex

One simple answer: because the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam used to do so.

Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 1, Number 0032:

Narrated Hafsah, Ummul Mu'minin:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used his right hand for taking his food and drink and used his left hand for other purposes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mujahidah4Allah
09-25-2008, 11:32 PM
:sl:

Narrated 'Umar bin Abi Salama: I was a boy under the care of Allah's Apostle and my hand used to go around the dish while I was eating. So Allah's Apostle said to me, 'O boy! Mention the Name of Allah and eat with your right hand, and eat of the dish what is nearer to you." Since then I have applied those instructions when eating. [Sahih Bukhari]

wa/salam

SixTen
09-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I believe, it is sunnah. The prophet did so with his right hands and so should you :).

Snowflake
09-26-2008, 04:07 AM
asalam alaikum

The shaytaan eats with his left hand.

(sorry, I do not have the hadith handy, but can find if you need it inshaAllah)

Snowflake
09-26-2008, 04:11 AM
He (saw) commanded people to eat with their right hands and forbade them to eat with their left hands. He said, “The Shaytaan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.” Narrated by Muslim (2020). This implies that eating with the left hand is haraam, and this is the correct view, because the one who eats with his left hand is either a shaytaan (a devil), or he is imitating the Shaytaan.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6503

suffiyan007
10-01-2008, 03:53 AM
using left hand eating people said, u wash ur buttock and etc...then u used it to eat..and then syaitan eat with left hand..so we adopted syaitan the way of eating...by using right hand we are following sunnah,and real a great way of healthy eating way...avoid to be so glutton when we eat...!

ammarahnaf
11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
How about the people use spoon with their left hand to eat. We can see it happen nowadays right.

Yanal
11-04-2008, 02:01 AM
It's not sunnah it's wajab unless a reason( broken hand Ect) because the Shytaan eats and drinks with the left hand. We don't follow the Devil unless you want to go to hell and I'm pretty sure everyone on LI wants to go to heaven, am I right?

Leyla73
11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal™
It's not sunnah it's wajab unless a reason( broken hand Ect) because the Shytaan eats and drinks with the left hand. We don't follow the Devil unless you want to go to hell and I'm pretty sure everyone on LI wants to go to heaven, am I right?
Lol, I say you're right! =P

Ali.
11-13-2008, 05:43 PM
What if the person's left-handed?

I'm not, just curious.

piXie
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
What if the person's left-handed?

They should make an effort. Just like a short tempered person makes an effort to control their temper, or like a greedy person makes an effort to be generous. They make an effort because they love Allaah subhaana wa ta'ala and His Messenger :arabic5: and want to obey them.

One of my cousins used to be left handed, but now they are right handed alhamdulillaah. It is not impossible.

Ali.
11-13-2008, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
One of my cousins used to be left handed, but now they are right handed alhamdulillaah.
Really? That's interesting.

It is not impossible.
I never said it was.

aamirsaab
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Etiquettes. It's rude to stuff your face in with one hand and guzzle down a litre of (insert name of drink here) with the other. Only greedy people or fat-kids in cartoons eat/drink like that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.