/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a book

daud
09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
assalam alakum. I am from england, I recently reverted to islam. Becuase of geographic location, the only muslims I could find to help me were naqshbandi muslims (sufi's) and they are very great people and I like learning islam with me but I dont want to get caught up with the various sects and would liek to master the basics and follow the mainstream beliefs and I do feel they try to push stuff on me that I dont necessarily need to hear (like they tell me when I go to teh bathroom I should walk in with my left foot and out with my right) and I just want to master the basic things. I am learning arabic and salah and tahts all good and Im enjoying my first fasting session, but I need to understand teh muslim calendar. I need a book that will explain everything I need to know including how the various sects differ so I can follow what I think is right instead of following one particular persons views (like a book written by a sheik might only show what his tarriqua believes and this is not good) and I need to know good prayers to say on various important dates like leilat el baraa etc. I need a thourough understanding of teh calendar and how it relates to teh english calendar. I cant find a book so any suggestions on an amazing book for ALL muslims that I can keep and read through and learn from would be much appreciated. I hope some of you can help.

Assalam alakum brothers and sisters. Ramadan mubarak

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yazoo
09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
You seem so confused. I wouldnt worry about footing yet, or anything that detailed just yet. Alot of these are sunnah and not compulsary. Remmeber the Quran was bought down in stages. Not revealed all at once and there is a reason for that. You cant do everything at once.

Islam is a way of life- it goes into huge detail. But you can only go further when you have understood the basics. Which is what you said you wanted. In my opinion- I think you should forget the sects for now.. A good book I think is by a convert called Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood. Its a GCSE ISLAM book. But its an important book to have and I find myself still refering to it- when Im not sure on something. Covers the prophets life, has keys parts of the quran to back up everything she writes almost- which is useful for duaas, the different angels, how to pray, rates of zakat, what islam says on envy, abortion etc.

Heres the link to read some of it online

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6...esult#PPA51,M1

I'd buy this. You mentionned islamic callender in relation to neglish. I used to wonder this- I didnt get far in my research as I didnt understand at the time. I find myself wondering about it every Ramamdan. It might be worth trying t find lectures on that specific topic- which might be on youtube. I dont know if youve heard of Living Islam camp in Britain but there may be a talk on that which has happened and been recorded.

layla is here
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu
I find a good book for beginners is "the complete idiots' guide to understanding islam" by yahiha emerick. it covers the basic beliefs without diving heavily into issues and sects. I wish I found it when I first converted.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.