09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
How is yawning perceived in Islam...just wondering

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yazoo
How is yawning perceived in Islam...just wondering

It's from shaytan.

Al-Bukhaari (6226) and Muslim (2994) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (r) that the Prophet (saaws) said: “Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if one of you sneezes and praises Allah (by saying Al-hamdu Lillaah), it is a duty upon every Muslim who hears him to say to him, Yarhamuk Allah (may Allah have mercy on you). With regard to yawning, it is from the Shaytan so if one of you feels like yawning, let him suppress it as much as he can, for if one of you yawns the Shaytaan laughs at him.

Al-Manawi(r) said: It is attributed to him because he is the one who calls for giving the self its share of desires. What is meant here is to warn against the things that lead to that, which is eating too much and eating one's fill, which makes the body feel too heavy and tired to do acts of worship.

islamirama
09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Yawning is from the Shaytaan. If any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as possible, for if any of you says ‘Ha’ (makes a noise when yawning), the Shaytaan laughs." (al-Bukhari no. 3289)

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah loves the act of sneezing and dislikes the act of yawning. If any one of you sneezes and praises Allaah, it is a duty on every Muslim who hears him to say ‘Yarhamak Allaah (May Allaah have mercy on you).’ As for yawning, it is from Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as he can, for if any of you yawns, the Shaytaan laughs at him." (al-Bukhari, Fath, no. 6226)

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Yawning is from Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as he can." (Muslim, 2994)

More @ http://islamqa.com/en/ref/755

layla is here
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
It's from shaytan.

Al-Bukhaari (6226) and Muslim (2994) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (r) that the Prophet (saaws) said: “Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if one of you sneezes and praises Allah (by saying Al-hamdu Lillaah), it is a duty upon every Muslim who hears him to say to him, Yarhamuk Allah (may Allah have mercy on you). With regard to yawning, it is from the Shaytan so if one of you feels like yawning, let him suppress it as much as he can, for if one of you yawns the Shaytaan laughs at him.

Al-Manawi(r) said: It is attributed to him because he is the one who calls for giving the self its share of desires. What is meant here is to warn against the things that lead to that, which is eating too much and eating one's fill, which makes the body feel too heavy and tired to do acts of worship.
Assalamu alaykum
Thanks for that. I did know that about yawning

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslima Islam
10-01-2008, 06:40 PM
is that why yawning is contagious because it is from the shaytan?

ayan333
10-01-2008, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslima Islam
is that why yawning is contagious because it is from the shaytan?
:sl:

ya that is what i was wondering

shaydaan be trying to catch us in any of his traps as possible

plp usually start yawning in Prayers n then it spreads,SubanALLAH..i try my best to resist it

:w:

Musaafirah
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Whoah!
I had no idea about all this..All I knew was that you were supposed to suppress yawns and that, but I had no idea of the reasoning.
Whoah!

aminahjaan
10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
woow dude that's scary haha I don't want shaytan to laugh at me :(

I don't wanna go off topic but is it true if you don't fill in the gaps during prayer...like the lines, does shaytan fill them in and whisper bad thoughts to you while praying?

islamirama
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla
I don't wanna go off topic but is it true if you don't fill in the gaps during prayer...like the lines, does shaytan fill them in and whisper bad thoughts to you while praying?
Yes, the prophet (saws) close your gaps, i see the shaytan coming thru them. How else does one loose khusoo in salah? all the things you couldn't remember, now you remember them all of a sudden?

Güven
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
especially at salah the yawning starts and I mean ALOT Yawning , so that says enough i think

:w:

FatimaAsSideqah
10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Al-Tirmizi reported a Hadith, and graded it as sound and authentic that Abu Hurairah (Radiya Allahu Anhu) narrated that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: “Sneezing is from Allah, and yawning is from Satan. If anybody amongst yourselves yawns, he has to put his hand on his mouth. And if a person (who yawns) says: Ah, Ah, Satan bursts of laughter on this person. Allah loves sneezing and hates yawning. If a person who yawns says: Ah, Ah, then Satan will laugh from inside this person’s stomach.”

It is also reported in Saheeh Muslim and Sunan Abu Dawud and Musnad Ahmad that Abu Saeed Al-Khudri said: “The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said that if anybody amongst yourselves yawns, he has to put his hand on his mouth because Satan enters, i.e. from his mouth," as it is reported in the narration of Ahmad. So these Ahadith praise sneezing and disgrace yawning.

Therefore, it is disliked for a person to yawn deliberately but if he can’t avoid it, then there is no problem.

However, there is no Hadith from the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) about the legitimacy of seeking refuge from Satan when yawning. But there is no harm in that as it is stated in the Hadith that yawning is from Satan.

layla is here
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
wow, jazak allah khayr

mujaahidahhxx
10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
our beloved prophet (SAW) never yawned in his whole life
did he??
and yawning in namaaz, if you make a sound than ur namaaz breaks...

Yanal
10-12-2008, 01:17 AM
my teacher told me yawing is for lack of air or breath

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.