/* */

PDA

View Full Version : non-Islamic signatures

glo
09-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Can I clarify with the mods whether using quotes from non-Islamic scripture is seen as 'promoting religions other than Islam' and thereby breaks forum rules?

In all my time here in LI have I never been told to remove my signature ... until now. Have the forum rules changed? :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Wouldn't be just to be banned, I am sure muslims for example, have islamic accounts when they do dawah on other forums, possibly based on other faiths.

Afraa
09-26-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't think it should be a problem (if it is) as long as it doesn't interfer or mock islam. Thats my opinoin.

glo
09-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks, you two.

I am waiting for a firm reply from the moderators on this.
(Not that your opinions don't matter ... :D)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
09-26-2008, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Wouldn't be just to be banned, I am sure muslims for example, have islamic accounts when they do dawah on other forums, possibly based on other faiths.
What happens on other forums is the business of those forums. This forum is an Islamic forum aimed at promoting Islam. The rules on LI are in no way dependant on rules on other forums.

That being said, I don't see a problem with Glo's sig.

doorster
09-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Do all the good you can, By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can, In all the places you can,
To all the people you can, As long as you ever can
TBH if it was not for the mention of john wesley's name I would never have known

on top of that I cant see anything unislamic about it

having said that they have deleted many of my posts based on very well sourced authentic Muslim scholars' work

------
09-27-2008, 04:26 PM
:salamext:

What was removed?

noorseeker
09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
is that the lords prayer

glo
09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -
:salamext:

What was removed?
No, I changed it myself. For now, anyway. :)

I am still hoping to get clarification from the mods though.

glo
09-27-2008, 04:52 PM
edit. Double post

SixTen
09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
What happens on other forums is the business of those forums. This forum is an Islamic forum aimed at promoting Islam. The rules on LI are in no way dependant on rules on other forums.

Did you consider that your demoting Islam, by showing intolerance ?

aamirsaab
09-27-2008, 05:48 PM
:sl:
Nothing wrong with your present* sig, glo.

* = "God grant me
the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."

Malaikah
09-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Did you consider that your demoting Islam, by showing intolerance ?
While you might feel comfortable explaining to Allah on the Day of Judgement why you let and helped non-Muslims preach to Muslims and misguide them from Islam in the name of 'tolerance', the rest of us do not.

SixTen
09-28-2008, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
While you might feel comfortable explaining to Allah on the Day of Judgement why you let and helped non-Muslims preach to Muslims and misguide them from Islam in the name of 'tolerance', the rest of us do not.
Do you realise we have same opinion?

Thats my point too. I am sure their will be sigs which would be deemed unsuitable, however, I am discussing this sig in particular - and pretty much any general sig, which may have its roots in another religion - but it is not neccessarily against Islam. Like I can understand, somthing which is offensive to the faith of Islam (even mildly) not being allowed - like any sigs hinting that Islam is definatly not a correct religion etc. Hope that cleared it up.

alcurad
09-28-2008, 07:24 AM
so they are allowed to question the existence of Allah, the validity of the qur'an etc but not put something mildly offensive in their sig?
why is it some believe Islam to be so weak as to blown away by a puff, or a signature ?
on the other hand I do see some point in doing that, not that I see it as being completely logical since they are allowed to do much 'worse' anyway...
<joins in movement for glo's right to signature> :)

SixTen
09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
so they are allowed to question the existence of Allah, the validity of the qur'an etc but not put something like that in their sig?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Since, if christians/jews/atheists post stuff, it may be offensive to Islam (although they may not be intending to cause offense). Since the comments do exist, does it mean you are disrespecting Islam by allowing it to exist in the forum? Does this mean you have to have a muslim only forum?

So yep, it doesn't seem clever to ban sigs if it is to stop propogation of another faith. Technically, discussion between a muslim and an atheist - can also be propogation of atheism, as pro-atheism arguements will exist on the thread. So, limiting them on a signature, is it really meaningful?

Malaikah
09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Do you realise we have same opinion?

Okay, I'm confused... That definitely isn't the impression I got. :X

Dr.Trax
09-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey people don't be scarry,It is just a rule.................I also had a new signature with a human picture on it.
And the MOD said that they do not allow pictures with humans.
It doesn't mean that if the signature is not representing bad about ISLAM that you will have it...........there are some rules that just this Forum handles.
Thats all.....and it was removed.

:w:

glo
09-28-2008, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Nothing wrong with your present* sig, glo.

* = "God grant me
the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."
I just realised that my new signature fits the discussion in this thread perfectly (which is not why I chose it)

So, can I change my signature, or can I not? :D

Muhammad
09-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Greetings glo,

If we feel that the signature might in some way be promoting a religion other than Islam, or it is in some way unIslamic, then we will ask for it to be removed.

glo
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you, Muhammed.
That is a clear answer, which I can work with.

Salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.