/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The West owes credit to Islam’s historical feats

Uthman
10-05-2008, 09:57 AM
By Mohamad Abdalla

The relationship between Islam and the West has been depicted as one of confrontation and indifference, but there is more to Islam and its relation with the West than violence and confrontation. Islam teaches that God is one with no partner and that the prophet Muhammad, like earlier prophets, was no more than a messenger of God. It also teaches its followers to worship God through prayer, almsgiving, fasting and performing the pilgrimage to Mecca, in addition to high moral character and excellence in conduct toward humans and animals.

Historical and theological facts easily repudiate the claim that Islam is intolerant of Christianity and Judaism. Muhammad signed treaties of peace with the Christians and Jews. In the year 631, he received a delegation of 60 Christians from Najran, about 450 miles south of Medina in present-day Saudi Arabia, who were received in the prophet's mosque, and they were allowed to pray in the mosque.

The Islamic civilization has in the past proved capable of, for the times, astonishing feats of tolerance and acceptance. Under the Muslims, medieval Spain became a haven for diverse religions and sects. Following the Christian re-conquest, the Inquisition eliminated all dissent.

The idea that Islam or Islamic civilization is inherently less capable of tolerance and compassion than any other is hard to square with the facts.
In a 2008 book, "God's Crucible: Islam and the Making of Europe," one of America's greatest historians, David L. Lewis, states that Muslims "accomplished the greatest revolution in power, religion, culture, and wealth in history" - all of which created the European civilization. There would be no Europe without Islam.

The Islamic civilization has made an enormous but largely neglected contribution to the way people live in the West. The contributions are so immense that three major universities in Australia will be teaching a third-year course titled "Islam and the Making of Europe."

Mohamad Abdalla has been visiting scholar and guest speaker at the Muslim Association of Hawaii mosque during the month of Ramadan, which ended this week. He is the co-director of the National Centre of Excellence for Islamic Studies in Brisbane, Australia, and founder of the Islamic Research Unit at Griffith University. His most recent books are "Islamic Science: The Myth of the Decline Theory" and "Islam in the Australian Mass Media."

The relationship between Islam and the West has been depicted as one of confrontation and indifference, but there is more to Islam and its relation with the West than violence and confrontation.

Islam teaches that God is one with no partner and that the prophet Muhammad, like earlier prophets, was no more than a messenger of God. It also teaches its followers to worship God through prayer, almsgiving, fasting and performing the pilgrimage to Mecca, in addition to high moral character and excellence in conduct toward humans and animals.

Historical and theological facts easily repudiate the claim that Islam is intolerant of Christianity and Judaism. Muhammad signed treaties of peace with the Christians and Jews. In the year 631, he received a delegation of 60 Christians from Najran, about 450 miles south of Medina in present-day Saudi Arabia, who were received in the prophet's mosque, and they were allowed to pray in the mosque.

The Islamic civilization has in the past proved capable of, for the times, astonishing feats of tolerance and acceptance. Under the Muslims, medieval Spain became a haven for diverse religions and sects. Following the Christian re-conquest, the Inquisition eliminated all dissent.

The idea that Islam or Islamic civilization is inherently less capable of tolerance and compassion than any other is hard to square with the facts.

In a 2008 book, "God's Crucible: Islam and the Making of Europe," one of America's greatest historians, David L. Lewis, states that Muslims "accomplished the greatest revolution in power, religion, culture, and wealth in history" - all of which created the European civilization. There would be no Europe without Islam.

The Islamic civilization has made an enormous but largely neglected contribution to the way people live in the West. The contributions are so immense that three major universities in Australia will be teaching a third-year course titled "Islam and the Making of Europe."

Mohamad Abdalla has been visiting scholar and guest speaker at the Muslim Association of Hawaii mosque during the month of Ramadan, which ended this week. He is the co-director of the National Centre of Excellence for Islamic Studies in Brisbane, Australia, and founder of the Islamic Research Unit at Griffith University. His most recent books are "Islamic Science: The Myth of the Decline Theory" and "Islam in the Australian Mass Media."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article. I do not believe the case can be made that Europe owes it current existence to Islam. What opened up Europe to the world did have something to do with Islam however. They were called the Crusades. This led to a huge increase in trade and interest in non-European cultures. It also led to the development of Europe as a world military power.

As for wealth, that had more to do with colonialism and the huge increase in gold circulation throughout Europe due to the wealth taken from the Aztec and Inca empires.

That isn't to take anything away from the contributions of Islamic kingdoms to Western civilization, but I think it is an overstatement to suggest Europe owes its existence to Islam. The article is even a little incoherent as to why that case is made in the first place. The only thing it mentions is the "tolerance" factor. I realize that more information would be given in these classes it mentions though.

noorseeker
10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
The west owes credit Allah swt , Allah swt is only testing them with wealth,

This is the non believers paradise this world.

Amadeus85
10-06-2008, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
By Mohamad Abdalla

Thats something new to me as an european and history student as well. Especially that in medival and till at least XVIII century Europe was a christian theocracy, which fought with muslim invasion in many fronts. From european countries maybe only Brittons didnt fight against muslim conquest. Others did, from Spaniards through Austrians, to Russians. So now, hundreds years after this, saying that "without islam there would be no Europe" isnt based on any serious historical facts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Suomipoika
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Islam contributed to European civilization, in both good and bad. I think the biggest contribution from Islam to Europe comes in form of mathematics. But to claim that there would be no Europe without Islam is quite obnoxious and somewhat patronizing.

Keltoi
10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Thats something new to me as an european and history student as well. Especially that in medival and till at least XVIII century Europe was a christian theocracy, which fought with muslim invasion in many fronts. From european countries maybe only Brittons didnt fight against muslim conquest. Others did, from Spaniards through Austrians, to Russians. So now, hundreds years after this, saying that "without islam there would be no Europe" isnt based on any serious historical facts.
Well, Richard the Lionheart of GB did participate in the 3rd Crusade I believe. Primarily it was France, Germany, and the Spaniards though.

Thinker
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
The Islamic civilization has made an enormous but largely neglected contribution to the way people live in the West.
COLOR]

Could we have a few examples?

Amadeus85
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Well, Richard the Lionheart of GB did participate in the 3rd Crusade I believe. Primarily it was France, Germany, and the Spaniards though.
I meant only defensive fight against Arabs and later Turks and Tatars. Brittons and Nordics didnt participate in such actions.

czgibson
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Could we have a few examples?
Here are a few. And here are a few more.

I thought the Islamic contribution to the sum of human knowledge was pretty common knowledge, although I also think that saying Islam "invented Europe / the West" in any over-arching sense is stretching things too far.

Peace

Thinker
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Here are a few. And here are a few more.

I thought the Islamic contribution to the sum of human knowledge was pretty common knowledge, although I also think that saying Islam "invented Europe / the West" in any over-arching sense is stretching things too far.

Peace

Thanks for the links but I couldn't find any significant contributions from the Muslim world to the advancement of mankind anywhere for a VERY long time.

czgibson
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Greetings,
Thanks for the links but I couldn't find any significant contributions from the Muslim world to the advancement of mankind anywhere for a VERY long time.
The Ancient Greeks made their achievements a very long time ago too, but that doesn't really detract from the quality of their ideas, does it?

Of course, it's fair to say that Islamic civilization has gone way downhill since its Golden Age, but that doesn't mean we should ignore its contributions.

Peace

*Hana*
10-07-2008, 10:35 AM
You couldn't find ONE single contribution that was significant or lasted for a very long time??? Are you kidding me? Please tell me when flight became obsolete or algebra or architecture, etc., etc. Silly me, I thought we were still using and continuing to improve in all these areas. From the following list, from czgibson's link, I'm confident you could find ONE contribution that is significant:
* 1 Chemical industries
o 1.1 Chemical processes
o 1.2 Chemical substances
o 1.3 Food and drink
o 1.4 Glass industry
o 1.5 Military technology
o 1.6 Oil industry
o 1.7 Pottery
* 2 Civil engineering
o 2.1 Architecture
o 2.2 Industrial milling
* 3 Cosmetics
o 3.1 Hygiene
o 3.2 Perfumery
* 4 Institutions
o 4.1 Medical institutions
* 5 Mechanical technology
o 5.1 Pumps
o 5.2 Robotics
* 6 Medical products
o 6.1 Drugs and medications
o 6.2 Surgical instruments
* 7 Navigational technology
o 7.1 Instruments
o 7.2 Transport
o 7.3 Aviation
* 8 Scientific instruments
o 8.1 Analog computers
o 8.2 Globes
o 8.3 Laboratory apparatus
o 8.4 Mural instruments
o 8.5 Optical instruments
o 8.6 Other instruments
* 9 Timekeeping devices
o 9.1 Astronomical clocks
o 9.2 Clocks with gears and escapements
o 9.3 Dials
o 9.4 Water clocks
* 10 Other inventions
o 10.1 Musical instruments

Come on man, even after centuries the contributions, ideas and work of the greatest minds are still VERY significant and are used as a foundation for growth, regardless if they were Muslim, Greek, German, etc. Without many of these early ideas we wouldn't have a foundation to build and grow. You can't just dismiss it because you may not like where they came from.

Hana

czgibson
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Greetings,

Here is a list of more modern Islamic inventions. I should really have included it in my original post.

Peace

aamirsaab
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I knew we should have pushed for the construction of that time machine but nooooooo, the masses were satisfied with boring easy peasy algebra and mundane astrology...

Keltoi
10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
The Greek math system was geometry based. Which obviously had its problems dealing with certain applications. Algebra, which is actually a rather broad mathematical discipline, has many origins. The earliest seems to be the Babylonians. However, during the Hellenistic period there was a guy named Diophantus who wrote a more detailed and complicated treatise on algebra than Al-Khwarizmi. It was improved even more by a Japanese mathematician named Kowa Seki. There were more Persian additions before that.

So algebra as a mathematical discipline owes its existence and understanding to hundreds of people over a long period of time.

Uthman
10-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the post Keltoi. :) For those interested, a documentary is currently airing on BBC Four called The Story of Maths. Personally, I find it fascinating although I will completely understand if not many people share my enthusiasm. I really recommend watching it to those mathematically-inclined ones amongst you.

Also, if I may, perhaps the article was implying that Europe as we know it today owes it's existence to Islam, meaning that without the influences of the Islamic world, Europe would be quite a different place to what it is today. Do you guys think that's a fair point?

aamirsaab
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
So algebra as a mathematical discipline owes its existence and understanding to hundreds of people over a long period of time.
Whilst all that is true, muslims did their part in propelling algebra to the world ;).

In any event, I think the whole world is actually indebted to Islam; the followers helped build a very good future by establishing sound foundations in the west (womens rights, financial matters, respect!). It played a vital part in the history of mankind that is often overlooked, especially nowadays.

Still, at least I can say: ''well, 'my' people actually did something good for this world that you turds take for granted.'' Though, one day I do hope to say: ''I did something good for this world.''

Amadeus85
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Also, if I may, perhaps the article was implying that Europe as we know it today owes it's existence to Islam, meaning that without the influences of the Islamic world, Europe would be quite a different place to what it is today. Do you guys think that's a fair point?
No I dont think so. I am sorry but if Islam had such a blessing influence on Europe so why it didnt have such a good influence on the Maghreb, Turkey or lets say Pakistan.
If islam made Europe such a rich and powerful continent so following this way of thinking, nowadays Maghreb, Pakistan, Egypt or Kaukaz would be much richer and powerful than Europe, because islam has existed there longer tha in Europe.
And the reality is as we all see.
If you say that islam had created wealth and modernity in Europe, so I ask You why islam didnt created this in the muslim world.
I admit that there was some influence but I cannt agree that modern Europe owes its existence to islam which during the most part of time spent it attacking my continent and trying to conquer it from west to east.
Before You say that You influenced my beautiful backyard, take a look at Your own backyard.

Uthman
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Timeline of algebra. Wiki is our friend.

From the timeline (and common sense), we can see that algebra was by no means invented by Muslims. However, it wouldn't be fair to eliminate Muslims from the equation entirely. :D

Took me a while to come up with that one.

Suomipoika
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
In any event, I think the whole world is actually indebted to Islam; the followers helped build a very good future by establishing sound foundations in the west (womens rights, financial matters, respect!). It played a vital part in the history of mankind that is often overlooked, especially nowadays.
No more overlooked than millions of other people and times. Everybody participated somehow, muslims did too, but it wasnt any more or less vital than that of other parts of the world. We dont celebrate and remember great hindu mathematicans anymore than we remember and celebrate great muslim mathematicans, and its sort of telling that neither does this article remember where muslims got help with their innovations. Everybody seems to overlook input from others.

doorster
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Keltoi

So algebra as a mathematical discipline owes its existence and understanding to hundreds of people over a long period of time
Yes! even a pygmy in Africa would know use of algebra in order to be able to survive, however, I'm told that it was a Persian who put it down on paper
Thanks for the post Keltoi. :) For those interested, a documentary is currently airing on BBC Four called The Story of Maths. Personally, I find it fascinating although I will completely understand if not many people share my enthusiasm. I really recommend watching it to those mathematically-inclined ones amongst you.

:sl:
I am taping it all to keep :) I also collect anything/everything by Adam Hart-Davis and things like "what the ancients did for us

:w:

doorster
10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
edit

Keltoi
10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
even a pigmy in africa would know use of algebra in order to be able to survive, however, I'm told that it was a Persian who put it down on paper
A pigmy in Africa uses algebra to survive? What do you mean by that?

As for who put it "down on paper", again, that is a whole list of individuals who added to the development of algebra. Ranging from Arabs, Persians, Hellenists, Japanese, etc, etc ,etc. Algebra is not some static concept that one can simply "put down on paper" like a story.

doorster
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
A pigmy in Africa uses algebra to survive? What do you mean by that?

As for who put it "down on paper", again, that is a whole list of individuals who added to the development of algebra. Ranging from Arabs, Persians, Hellenists, Japanese, etc, etc ,etc. Algebra is not some static concept that one can simply "put down on paper" like a story.
what is algebra but finding/arriving at correct result by guessing?It is a reasoning skill as old as mankind itself! who invented reason?

Keltoi
10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
what is algebra but finding/arriving at correct result by guessing?It is a reasoning skill as old as mankind itself! who invented reason?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Algebra is more than the ability to "reason". A caveman could reason out how to design his spear to take down a buffalo, yes, but I doubt he could "reason" what a polynomial is or make use of integers. :D

doorster
10-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Algebra is more than the ability to "reason". A caveman could reason out how to design his spear to take down a buffalo, yes, but I doubt he could "reason" what a polynomial is or make use of integers. :D
now we are running away into the realms of silliness are we not?

next we'll be "debating" about Wright Brothers or Archibald Russell being/not being designers of Concorde or who is more clever, the man who made abacus or the one who made an electronic calculator. :hmm::confused:

ta ta!

Muezzin
10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
You could probably construct an algebraic equation to calculate how many lame 'get back to the topic please' comments I could make before the universe implodes under their sheer density.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.