/* */

PDA

View Full Version : + Edgar Allan Poe Help A.S.A.P +

Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Assalamu Alaykum :D

We're doing a multi genre report at school. Basically we have to choose a poet and do a report on him thats's "multi genre". We hav to say how he or she made a significant contribution on literature in general.

After some research i chose Poe *because he's really easy* :-[ and i hav to do an annonated bibliography on him, *i hav no idea what that is*

anyone kno bout him though? i have to do a literary analysis on his poem "To My Mother" i'l find it online and post it here iA

what do i need? help with the analysis and bibliography thingy :-[

Jazakumullah kullal Khair!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
hmm that was quick found it :D

Because I feel that, in the Heavens above,
The angels, whispering to one another,
Can find, among their burning terms of love,
None so devotional as that of "Mother,"
Therefore by that dear name I long have called you-
You who are more than mother unto me,
And fill my heart of hearts, where Death installed you
In setting my Virginia's spirit free.
My mother- my own mother, who died early,
Was but the mother of myself; but you
Are mother to the one I loved so dearly,
And thus are dearer than the mother I knew
By that infinity with which my wife
Was dearer to my soul than its soul-life.

truemuslim
10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
aw i feel sorry for u :(

Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
i feel sorry for myself ^ :D
the project is fun, cept for those two parts though :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truemuslim
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeh of course it is :rolleyes:
sorry i cant help u,,, i would but....cmon its me..:p

Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Who's he talking to in the poem? i came up with some possibiblities,

The lasy that took care of him, Francas Allan, or his wife, Victoria, or his aunt who was also his mother in law, Maria Clemm

i think its the last one?

truemuslim
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
^ yeh i think so to. (dont count on MY answer of corse)

Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
yeh i think so to
explain why? *God i sound like a teacher* :hiding:

truemuslim
10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
:mmokay: i rather not?

u really do sound like a teacher, well hey thats the reply i give them thats the reply i give u :p
take it or leave it........or wait till someone who loves typing come. :D

Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
anyone? :(

truemuslim
10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
looky me (sister true :p) bein useful!

http://www.123helpme.com/search.asp?...dgar+Allan+Poe

dont completly plajurize tho, trust me, just read, learn, summarize, nd then find synonyms for every word possible.

nd tada, you've earned urself a truegangsta's a+! :exhausted dont count on it tho, teachers like memorize every page on the web! :enough!:

Pen Marks
10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
helpful but i can't find an analysis for To My Mother

truemuslim
10-07-2008, 06:11 PM
i luv google
http://www.helium.com/items/705768-p...dgar-allan-poe

:p

remember i had my warning before u ask me for advice in school or anything that has to do with u staying alive. :D

bewildred
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
I loved this poem. It's a hymn to pure love. It's so moving to see him love so dearly the mother of the woman he adores.
Poe has this touch that makes him so unique. To my sisters and brothers, I warmly recommend to read "The ambitious Guest". It's the perfect example of destiny and whatever we plan, it all depends on Allah's will.

Good luck girl with your test.

Cabdullahi
10-07-2008, 06:20 PM
..............................................^
sister 'muminah' listen to the teacher and pming her might be a good idea also

yasin ibn Ahmad
10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
the poet explains his love to his darling by telling how he is sorry about her mother's death.He doesn't state his feelings to her directly.When he says you were nearer to me than my own mother he actually says his darling is the dearest person to him.Because He loves his darling with everything she has.Writing this poem the poet states his sorry for the death and his love to his darling at the same time.

bewildred
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Uhhhhhhhh, yes it's an oblique demostration of love but he's refering to his beloved one's mom.

czgibson
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Greetings :: MuMiNaH ::,

The first thing to say is that if you don't know what something means, find out. That is pretty much the purpose of study. Ultimately, your teacher is less interested in what I think, or what anyone else who gives you advice thinks. They are interested in what you think.

However, since you seem to be worrying, I'll try and get you started.

format_quote Originally Posted by :: MuMiNaH ::
Assalamu Alaykum :D

We're doing a multi genre report at school. Basically we have to choose a poet and do a report on him thats's "multi genre". We hav to say how he or she made a significant contribution on literature in general.
Poe wrote poems, stories and essays covering fantasy, horror, mystery, non-fiction and much else besides, so that would qualify him as being multi-genre, I suppose.

Have a look here to get an idea of his hugely significant contribution to literature, as well as a lot of other information that will help you, too.

After some research i chose Poe *because he's really easy* :-[
Are you sure you didn't pick him because he's one of the best writers who's ever lived?

and i hav to do an annonated bibliography on him, *i hav no idea what that is*
A bibliography is a list of texts. For your project, this could be a list of works written by Poe, or a list of works that you have used in writing your report.

Annotating means making notes, so it sounds like what your teacher has in mind is a list of texts with your notes about them.

Do you know which type of bibliography your teacher wants? If not, ask.

anyone kno bout him though? i have to do a literary analysis on his poem "To My Mother" i'l find it online and post it here iA
The poem is addressed to Maria Clemm, his mother-in-law. In the poem, he essentially says that he loves her more than his own mother. Poe's parents died when he was young, and, in his eyes, Maria Clemm filled the maternal role more than his biological or adoptive mother ever could.

Virginia was Poe's wife, and the poem was written after her death.

You can find out more about Maria Clemm here.

I hope that is of some help. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, but remember, your report must be your work, not anybody else's.

Peace

Pen Marks
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin ibn Ahmad
the poet explains his love to his darling by telling how he is sorry about her mother's death.He doesn't state his feelings to her directly.When he says you were nearer to me than my own mother he actually says his darling is the dearest person to him.Because He loves his darling with everything she has.Writing this poem the poet states his sorry for the death and his love to his darling at the same time.
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings :: MuMiNaH ::,

The first thing to say is that if you don't know what something means, find out. That is pretty much the purpose of study. Ultimately, your teacher is less interested in what I think, or what anyone else who gives you advice thinks. They are interested in what you think.

However, since you seem to be worrying, I'll try and get you started.

Poe wrote poems, stories and essays covering fantasy, horror, mystery, non-fiction and much else besides, so that would qualify him as being multi-genre, I suppose.

Have a look here to get an idea of his hugely significant contribution to literature, as well as a lot of other information that will help you, too.

Are you sure you didn't pick him because he's one of the best writers who's ever lived?

A bibliography is a list of texts. For your project, this could be a list of works written by Poe, or a list of works that you have used in writing your report.

Annotating means making notes, so it sounds like what your teacher has in mind is a list of texts with your notes about them.

Do you know which type of bibliography your teacher wants? If not, ask.

The poem is addressed to Maria Clemm, his mother-in-law. In the poem, he essentially says that he loves her more than his own mother. Poe's parents died when he was young, and, in his eyes, Maria Clemm filled the maternal role more than his biological or adoptive mother ever could.

Virginia was Poe's wife, and the poem was written after her death.

You can find out more about Maria Clemm here.

I hope that is of some help. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, but remember, your report must be your work, not anybody else's.

Peace
wow that realy helps :D thaaaaanks :thumbs_up

i'm almost done with it just need to type out my analysis and a couple other stuff :exhausted

thanks 4 all the help :D

i'll probably be back with more q's :X

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.