/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Passing wind and Ghusl/Jamaat

Hamayun
10-12-2008, 09:48 PM
:sl:

I have 2 questions about wind. Not the one that blows outside... the one you blow by accident sometimes :-[

1: If you perform ghusl, leave your house and its time for prayer. You are in a kids playground for example. You want to pray but you just passed some wind. There is a tap of water there but you obviously can't wash your private parts in public. Do you a) wait till you get home and make up for it? or b) Perform a wudhu and pray anyway?

2: I have heard that if you are praying in a jamaat. If you pass wind while praying by accident does it invalidate only your prayer or everyone in the jamaat?

Sorry if these are silly questions :-[

Jazakallah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
passing wind does not require ghusl, it requires wudu only. ghusl is to wash your entire body with water as well as rinsing the mouth-madmada- and cleaning the nose with water-istinshaq-, while wudu is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHcw9uvU6E

sexual intercourse and ejaculation that is accompanied with pleasure are what need ghusl.
and no,it only invalidates the person's prayer, not anyone else's.

Hamayun
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Jazakallah Khair brother. Because you pass wind from your private part I assumed it would need to be washed.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

nays
10-13-2008, 01:00 AM
ahh it would have been so hard for you doing ghusl everytime you pass wind! lol. DW Bro if you pass wind all you have to do is wudhu like mentioned above.

If you're praying in Jama'ah and you pass wind, you leave your prayer, go do wudhu, and come back and join the jama'ah.

I asked the sheikh once and he said if you pass wind while praying in jama'ah, you hold your nose and walk out of the jama'ah, I think the reason to hold your nose is that so everyone knows why you're leaving, Allahu A'lam. It isn't something embarresing though, it happens! lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SixTen
10-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Here you go

wa`alaykum as-salam

All praise is to Allah. Blessings and peace be upon the Messenger of Allah, his Household, Companions and followers.

1) IF YOU ARE NOT SURE that you passed wind (after performing wudu''), then you assume that you did not pass wind. [Ibn `Abidin, "Radd al-Muhtar," and Ibn Nujaym, "Al-Ashbah"]

Thus, if you are in the process of making wudu'' at the time, then you continue with your wudu''; or if you already made wudu; and had started praying, then continue with the salah. As long as it is mere doubt, and you are not certain that any wind has exited, you should not heed it, for it is likely to be Satan trying to distract you from the worship.

The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace) has said, "If any of you feels something in his stomach such that it is unclear to him, whether something has come out or not, then he should certainly not leave the mosque, unless he hears a sound or smells an odour."
[Narrated by Muslim]
And in another hadith we find:
"Satan may come to one of you in salah and blow air in his bottom, making him imagine that he has lost his wudu. So, when one experiences that, he should not turn away [from the salah] unless he hears a sound or smells an odour." [Narrated by Bazzar as in Bulugh al-Maram]

2) IF YOU ARE SURE that you have passed wind, your wudu'' is invalidated, whether there is a smell or sound, or neither. If this happens while you are still performing wudu'', then you need to re-start the wudu''
(over again). If it happens during salah, you need to break off the salah and go and repeat your wudu.

May Allah bless you, and sustain you and us with guidance, and protect us from the designs of Satan.

And Allah knows best.

Was-salam
-Suheil Laher

Hamayun
10-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info.

Jazakallah Khair

Snowflake
10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
ahemmm... good thing i was checking it

The Prophet (pbuh) said regarding one's uncertainty whether one had broken wind or not:

"One should not leave prayer (to re-perform ablution) unless one hears sound (of breaking wind) or smells something."

So it means if it doubt, leave it.

Islamic Jurisprudence, Vol 1 (Things nullifying ablution - page 55)

Snowflake
10-13-2008, 09:49 AM
^yeh jazakAllah khair Sixten. Alhumdulillah, that's cleared.

Zafran
10-13-2008, 10:33 PM
salaam

I had to know too - lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.