/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary fasting & health

The Khan
10-13-2008, 05:44 AM
:sl:

Does voluntary fasting affect your health? I've decided to fast during the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every Islamic month. My trainer at gym told me that fasting too much will destroy my immune system. However, I believe that what he knew was of water fasting, ie, fasting for days without food and only water. He told me to fast only once every 15 days...otherwise I had plans of fasting at least once a week.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Voluntary fasting doesn't do any favours to your metabolism, but it shouldn't affect you so much if you do a few days to be honest and you should be fine.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
your trainer just spoke without any evidence

what did he base that on?

i never heard it destroying immune system

i mean no one gets ill or critically ill during ramadan do they?

i think his mistaken here bro

The Khan
10-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Jazakallah.

He promotes fasting, he himself is Muslim. However, he says that fasting too much results in a weak immune system. I don't question him, but I do beleive his medical sources are regarding water fasting.

As far as I know, Muhammed (SAW) used to fast A LOT.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
^ indeed if we fast the correct way it can only bring good inshaAllah

The Khan
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
InshaAllah! ^_^

Snowflake
10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
, but I do beleive his medical sources are regarding water fasting
I think you should ask the brother to clarify it. If he doesn't mean this, then he can be corrected as no Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) can bring us harm.

The Khan
10-14-2008, 10:50 AM
He told me that it's fasting in general.

My mother told me this:
The prophet (SAW) used to fast a lot, usually 15 days or 3 weeks at a stretch, and his sahaba would copy him. He told them not to do so, for Allah (swt) gives only him all the nourishment he needs. After that, it was recommended that one should fast on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of a lunar month as well as two days in a week only.

From what I understand, food intake in unnecessary, the Sun gives all the nourishment the body needs. However, I get tanned very fast and mainly go out for vitamin D during sunrise.

SixTen
10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
The Sun does not give all the nourishment the body needs, we are not plants!

The Khan
10-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh, I don't know...there was this show on discovery in which this boy in Afghanistan went without eating for years...he would sit under a tree, meditate, and drink only water. They kept a camera there for weeks to make sure he didn't leave the area. Likewise, there's a similar story of a boy from Nepal.

SixTen
10-14-2008, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Khan
Oh, I don't know...there was this show on discovery in which this boy in Afghanistan went without eating for years...he would sit under a tree, meditate, and drink only water. They kept a camera there for weeks to make sure he didn't leave the area. Likewise, there's a similar story of a boy from Nepal.
Does thou have a link? I know the body can survive long periods without food (when plenty of water is available), but I do not believe you can live without food for years - due to sunlight.

The Khan
10-14-2008, 12:00 PM
No, I'm sorry, I don't have a link...my father told me about this.

Snowflake
10-15-2008, 06:53 AM
^it could be jinns providing food or even a miracle. If sunshine provided all the nourishment we needed then people in Africa wouldn't be dying from hunger.

The Khan
10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
That's true, you must be right, Okhee. ^^

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.