/* */

PDA

View Full Version : my hijab

seeker-of-light
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
my mother wont allow me to wear the headscarf (she is catholic). many times she complains if i dont want to wear some of my old clothes because they are more immodest than i would like and she says that "if i have a good body i should show it off" how can i convince her that i wish to be a decent, modest girl.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamayun
10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
If she is Catholic then she will appreciate that Mary (May Allah be pleased with her) would dress modestly and wear a head scarf too.

I have to say sister's like you make us proud to be Muslims. May Allah make it easy for you sis.

ayan333
10-15-2008, 11:47 PM
:sl:

MashALLAH..although you are in a tough situation im glad your fighting it

May ALLAH (SWA) make it easy for you.Ameen

:w:

The Khan
10-15-2008, 11:51 PM

Sister, I am so glad to read this! May Allah (SWT) bless and reward you abundantly! Seeing your gender status change from "sister in humanity" to "sister in Islam" put a huge smile on my face. Mashallah!

Brother Hamayun has given an excellent answer! Do tell your mother that Mary (may Allah be pleased with her) wore a hijab, and you have every right to follow in her footsteps, like how nuns do so.

<image removed>

Also, tell them that you do not want the following to occur:

You do not want boys to gawk at your figure.

You do not want a stalker following you.

You do not wish to be assaulted in any manner.

You want people to respect you for who you are and not what you look like.

Inshallah, your parents will stop opposing your decisions.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wth1257
10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker-of-light
my mother wont allow me to wear the headscarf (she is catholic). many times she complains if i dont want to wear some of my old clothes because they are more immodest than i would like and she says that "if i have a good body i should show it off" how can i convince her that i wish to be a decent, modest girl.
The Catholic Church says women should dress modestly:

From the CCC

2521. Purity requires modesty, an integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity.
2522. Modesty protects the mystery of persons and their love. It encourages patience and moderation in loving relationships; it requires that the conditions for the definitive giving and commitment of man and woman to one another be fulfilled. Modesty is decency. It inspires ones choice of clothing. It keeps silence or reserve where there is evident risk of unhealthy curiosity. It is descreet. (italics CM)
2523. There is a modesty of the feelings as well as of the body.... Modesty inspires a way of life which makes it possible to resist the allurements of fashion and the pressures of prevailing ideologies.

kwolney01
10-16-2008, 12:51 AM
I agree with the others, ask her about how she feels about Mary and nuns. Ask her what her opinion of the are? Tell her you respect yourself and you want people to look at you not your body. Tell her the reasons why you are wearing the hijab.
In my opinion I think she should be very happy that you are being modest, you aren't showing your body to get attention from guys.

I respect you for wearing the hijab it takes a lot of courage. I am a new revert and I haven't started wearing the headscraf yet, but I have been dressing modestly. I am taking it day by day.

I wish you the best sister!

coddles76
10-16-2008, 12:55 AM
May Allah SWT reward you for your intentions and its absolutely beautiful to know that you have joined the ranks of the muslims....

Sister, I will mention the words of Allah SWT as mentioned in his Glorious Quran and you can make a decision from there....

O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even though it be against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, be he rich or poor, Allah is a Better Protector to both (than you). So follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you may avoid justice, and if you distort your witness or refuse to give it, verily, Allah is Ever Well*Acquainted with what you do. (An-Nisa 4:135)

And warn therewith (the Qur'an) those who fear that they will be gathered before their Lord, when there will be neither a protector nor an intercessor for them besides Him, so that they may fear Allah and keep their duty to Him (by abstaining from committing sins and by doing all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained). (Al-An'am 6:51)

Hope this helps with your decision on a solution and Allah SWT words are so easing to the heart.

Asalam Alykum

Khalil_Allah
10-16-2008, 01:17 AM

:statisfie

Sister, this is an amazing post. You are a model, no a supermodel!, for other sisters who are reading this.

You know, Allah swt is testing you. You should always listen to your parents UNLESS they are telling you not to do something that you are doing for the sake of Allah.

Guard your modesty as you feel you need and try to make your mother as happy as you can. You don't need to argue with her about it and she likely isn't going to be too harsh on you for this.

Inshallah she will see in time.

But as for now, I just want to tell you that you are amazing for struggling with this. You are a fantastic example for other sisters who are having the same issues. Stay strong and we shall make dua that Allah swt makes this struggle easy for you.:)

'Abd-al Latif
10-16-2008, 01:48 AM
I urge you to observe the hijab regardless of what your mother tells you. Allah says:

“and not to show off their adornment” [al-Noor 24:31] Meaning veil your beauty, because muslim woman are regarded as a precious jewel which should not be treated as a cheap product.

Allah also says:

“and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As Salaah (prayer), and give Zakaah and obey Allaah and His Messenger”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33]

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”

[al-Ahzaab 33:36]

“But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission”

[al-Nisa’ 4:65]

BNDGR
10-16-2008, 02:10 AM
MashaAllah sister I admire your strength and respect for Allah and yourself.
InshaAllah once you explain to your Mom why you wear hijab and dress more modestly then she will come around eventually. It's funny this is so true, that even though you are being modest and family can freak out that just because you don't dress the same way.
Take care sis...

Malaikah
10-16-2008, 02:29 AM
and she says that "if i have a good body i should show it off" how can i convince her that i wish to be a decent, modest girl.
Well, that's not a very Catholic thing to say. :?

ummsara1108
10-16-2008, 05:55 AM
May God guide you in the choices you make and the obsticals you will endure, keep you safe and whole with yourself, I applaude you for wearing the hajab. My advice is to simply explain your reasons and leave it there, don't make it a this and that kind of thing, just simply assure her that you are a decent person and a daughter to be proud of and that you love her with all your heart....God Bless you and E1

fantaxxy_moon
10-16-2008, 06:11 AM
are u actually a muslim sister ?

ummsara1108
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by fantaxxy_moon
are u actually a muslim sister ?
Are you asking me fantaxxy_moon?

SixTen
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Well Im shocked, to see the day that parents actually have a problem with their children dressing modestly :skeleton:

seeker-of-light
10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Well, that's not a very Catholic thing to say. :?
no is not a very catholic thing to say. she is not a very religious woman but she is catholic. also here catholics, baptists, all denominations wear skimpy, immodest clothing even if is not very religious, so she thinks i should do the same and not look "strange"

Pk_#2
10-17-2008, 09:21 PM
no is not a very catholic thing to say. she is not a very religious woman but she is catholic. also here catholics, baptists, all denominations wear skimpy, immodest clothing even if is not very religious, so she thinks i should do the same and not look "strange"
Muslims are strangers, :coolious:

Sister, it may take a while for your mom to realise that you are right.. This change from you becoming a Muslimah, can affect both of you, you more positively and her also, but she may not realise until she sees that your behavious as a Muslimah is much better than the way you were before,

May Allaah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) make it easy for you sis, Ameen, (say Ameen)

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

seeker-of-light
10-17-2008, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Muslims are strangers, :coolious:

Sister, it may take a while for your mom to realise that you are right.. This change from you becoming a Muslimah, can affect both of you, you more positively and her also, but she may not realise until she sees that your behavious as a Muslimah is much better than the way you were before,

May Allaah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) make it easy for you sis, Ameen, (say Ameen)

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.
thank you for your advice:)

The Khan
10-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Sister, just curious, what was your parent's reaction when you became a Hindu? Is their reaction now more severe compared to then?

Media Tags are no longer supported

Oh, btw, just discovered this:

"If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head"
Corrinthians 11:3-6

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.