/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Staying Calm

'Abd al-Baari
10-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabaraakaatuh,

There is an old saying that goes: "The calmer the ocean, the deeper it is." Another old saying goes: "An empty cart makes more noise than the full cart."

These sayings point to the same thing: that calm is a virtue. There can be no doubt about the truth of this point.

The human mind works at its best when the surrounding environment is calm and settled. Likewise, it works at its best when the thinker's temperament is calm. When the human mind is beset with external or internal commotion, its powers become weak and it more easily falls prey to rashness and reckless passion.

It is a strategy of debate to get one's opponent angry, since once the opponent loses his or her composure, his or her defeat is almost imminent, especially if one is able to keep one's cool and a smile on one's face.

Allah describes those who believe and rely on their Lord as being: "those who avoid the worst sins and shameful deeds, and, when they are angry even then forgive." [Sûrah al-Shûrâ: 37]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) warns us that: "Anger is a burning ember in the human heart that is stoked up." [Musnad Ahmad (11158)]

We can draw a lesson from what happened when the Prophet's uncle Abû Tâlib was on his deathbed. The Prophet (peace be upon him) entered his room to find him in the company of Abû Jahl and Abd Allah b. Abî Umayyah. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "My uncle, declare that there is no God but God, so I may speak on your behalf before Allah."

At this, Abû Jahl and Abd Allah b. Abî Umayyah said: "O Abû Tâlib! Do you desire something other than the ways of `Abd al-Muttalib?"

Abû Tâlib died, refusing to accept Islam though knowing it to be the truth, out of fear of public shame. Nevertheless, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "I will continue to seek Allah's forgiveness for you as long as Allah does not forbid me from doing so."

Thereafter, Allah revealed the verse: "It is not fitting, for the Prophet and those who believe, that they should pray for forgiveness for Pagans, even though they be of kin, after it is clear to them that they are companions of the Fire." [Sûrah al-Tawbah: 113]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) was in a heart-wrenching situation. He loved his uncle who had in turn loved him and done so much for him. The issue was the most serious issue that can be considered: the issue of faith in Allah and his Messenger and of worshipping Allah alone. The Prophet (peace be upon him) sought nothing more from Abû Tâlib than to declare his faith before he died.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) was well aware that a person is all the more sensitive and unclear of thinking at the time of death. Therefore, he spoke to him calmly and clearly, saying: "My uncle, declare that there is no God but God, so I may speak on your behalf before Allah."

The Prophet (peace be upon him) did not allow himself to get into an argument with his opponents when they taunted Abû Tâlib with the honor of the tribe of Quraysh and reminded him of the religion of his forefathers. He simply repeated to his uncle his calm request.

The Prophet's conduct should remind us that just because we know we are in the right, this gives us no excuse to get angry. Indeed, if we are upon the truth, this should give us all the more reason to remain calm. Anger merely confuses things and makes it more difficult for us to think clearly and communicate our thoughts to others.

It is said that calm is the pinnacle of virtue. When we think about it, we see that a person who remains calm has the advantage under all circumstances - in agreement and disagreement, in acceptance and refusal. Calm enhances one's good qualities and makes one's bad qualities seem less serious. Even a wrongdoer, if he maintains his composure and good manners, is more likely to be excused for his wrongdoing.

We should remember the Prophet's words: "The strong person is not the one who can throw his opponent. The strong person is the one who can keep control when angry."

- Shaykh Salmaan al Uadah
http://204.187.100.80/english/showme...ub_cat_id=1986

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 09:18 PM
:salamext:

Wow JazakAllah khayr for that akhee.

I actually did read it all btw.

A much-needed reminder...

Also, nice sig masha'Allah.

WassalamuAlaykum

Ali.
10-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Woah, thanks for sharing.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
The calmer the ocean, the deeper it is.
I like that one.

BTW
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Abdul Baari again.

Zahida
10-17-2008, 09:31 PM
:sl:Thankyou for the lovely reminder, May Allah guide us All.......... Ameen:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Afifa
10-17-2008, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
The strong person is not the one who can throw his opponent. The strong person is the one who can keep control when angry."

:X

Definetly something we need to think on :thumbs_up

Güven
10-17-2008, 09:44 PM
:skeleton:

got to stay calm!

JazakAllahu Khair bro :thumbs_up

bewildred
10-17-2008, 09:49 PM
There's this hadith (PLEASE ADMINISTRATORS DON'T DELETE THIS POST FOR I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND HADITHS/DALEELS BUT THIS ONE IS TRUE)

Our prophet (pbuh)was sitting with Abu Bakr Assedik and they were discussing several matters. A man was passing by and obviously hated Abu Bakr (Radhya Allahou an'h). That man started insulting and cursing Abu Bakr. This one didn't reply to this man's wrath. When it got unbearable, Abu bakr replied. At the very moment he did, Rassul Allah stood up and left. Afterwards, Abu Bakr went to Muhammad (pbuh) and asked him why he left. He told him that he was patient enough and that it came to a point where he had to say his words. Our wise prophet (pbuh) replied "When you were silent, angels were defending you. The very moment you opened your mouth, angels left and Shaytan arrived and I never stay in a place where Shaytan is"

'Abd al-Baari
10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
:sl:

WaIyyakum. :)

JizakAllah Khayr for posting up that Hadeeth sis.

Yanal
10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
There's this hadith (PLEASE ADMINISTRATORS DON'T DELETE THIS POST FOR I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND HADITHS/DALEELS BUT THIS ONE IS TRUE)

Our prophet (pbuh)was sitting with Abu Bakr Assedik and they were discussing several matters. A man was passing by and obviously hated Abu Bakr (Radhya Allahou an'h). That man started insulting and cursing Abu Bakr. This one didn't reply to this man's wrath. When it got unbearable, Abu bakr replied. At the very moment he did, Rassul Allah stood up and left. Afterwards, Abu Bakr went to Muhammad (pbuh) and asked him why he left. He told him that he was patient enough and that it came to a point where he had to say his words. Our wise prophet (pbuh) replied "When you were silent, angels were defending you. The very moment you opened your mouth, angels left and Shaytan arrived and I never stay in a place where Shaytan is"
:w: excellent post and that is the same thing my local imaam said in khutbah last Friday

Güven
10-17-2008, 11:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred

I can help you with that :)

Once, a person was verbally abusing Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) while the Prophet (peace be upon him) was curiously watching with a smile. After taking much abuse quietly, Abu Bakr responded to a few of his comments. At this, the Prophet exhibited his disapproval, got up and left. Abu Bakr caught up with the Prophet and wondered, 'O Messenger of Allaah, he was abusing me and you remained sitting. When I responded to him, you disapproved and got up.' The Messenger of Allaah responded,
'There was an angel with you responding to him. When you responded to him, Satan took his place.' He then said ..

'O Abu Bakr, there are three solid truths: If a person is wronged and he forbears it (without seeking revenge) just for the sake of Allaah almighty, Allaah will honour him and give him the upper hand with His help; if a person opens a door of giving gifts for cementing relationships with relatives, Allaah will give him abundance; and, if a person opens a door of seeking charity for himself to increase his wealth, Allaah will further reduce his wealth.'

Reported from Abu Huraira in Mishkaah and Musnad Ahmad.

kwolney01
10-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Very good point brother...I know a lot of being who aren't calm. They blow up at any little thing. We should all try to be peaceful and calm.

Thanks for posting brother.

I wish you the best

seeker-of-light
10-18-2008, 03:52 PM
good quotes:) calmness leads to better thinking and better spirituality. it is not good to become angry or worried, even when alot of times it is so easy to do so.

Nájlá
10-18-2008, 05:07 PM
woah great thread

jazakallah khair for sharing.

MO783
10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
:sl:

Calm is good but its hard to stay calm I guess sometime. Remember anger corrupts the heart.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.