/* */

PDA

View Full Version : LI Story-Writing Contest II

Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 12:38 PM
:salamext:

Ok so this is what we have so far.

A story with a word limit of 2000, and a min of 1000

It can be about anything but obviously with an Islamic theme.

Entries will be judged by a panel of volunteers (Not necessarily mods)

You must PM me you entry to maintain anonymity and I will then forward on to the judges

Hmm, thats about it really. If wannabe judges can PM me insha'Allah to remind who you are and to confirm that would be great insha'Allah. The more the merrier I think :D

And thats about it, you have 2 weeks to submit your entries insha'Allah....Lets just say the 3rd of November huh?

Challo, if thats ok then on yer marks....get set......WRITE! :D

All the best :coolious:

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Ok I just wanted to discuss judges and also the criterea they will look at when judging the poems. Firstly, how many judges do you think we need?

Güven
10-19-2008, 04:45 PM
4 Judges! :ooh:

Yanal
10-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Depends how many people entering. Can I be judge?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Bro
Depends how many people entering. Can I be judge?
Yeah bro I noticed your request before.

I was discussing judges before and I think you'd make a good judge....Why? Because you're on of the younger members masha'Allah....The older ones may be prone to criticise first and foremost and then look at other things in turn. But as a young member I feel you may be able to look at things differently and maybe how much you felt the story hit you and was beneficial to you and how well it succeeded in achieving it's aim. What do you think?

I think more than 4 judges btw, depending on the number of entries of course.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-19-2008, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JolieFleur
I think more than 4 judges btw, depending on the number of entries of course.
:w:

Me too..around 6 maybe?

Yanal
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah 6 is good and I will be honoured to be a judge. By the way are you planning to join the competition Abu Saayad?

Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad

Me too..around 6 maybe?
Yeah that sounds like a good number masha'Allah. Just hope we get that many volunteers now.

Sis PK_#2 wanted to be a judge also, I think she'd make a good one considering the course she's taking at uni.

If you have anybody else in mind please say insha'Allah

Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 04:59 PM
By the way are you planning to join the competition Abu Saayad?
Its anonymous :D

Yanal
10-19-2008, 05:01 PM
oh then how will we announce the winners?

Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 05:02 PM
oh then how will we announce the winners?
You just judge lil bro....that'll be taken care of after you guys come to a decision :)

Na7lah
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
can i be judge? :hmm:

Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
can i be judge? :hmm:
I refuse to let the talent judge :mmokay:

Güven
10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
poem is NOT the same as a story :hmm:

IbnAbdulHakim
10-19-2008, 05:40 PM
make another thread to determine judges?

Re.TiReD
10-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Argh I dont want anybody to get offended either....

Ok new thread it is insha'Allah

Na7lah
10-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I refuse to let the talent judge :mmokay:
what talent? :-\

IbnAbdulHakim
10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
what talent? :-\
even i remember your story

so your acting like this man at the moment:

LOL just saw the stupid part, that doesnt count when it comes to you.

Nájlá
10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
^sis ur talented remember the ur stories they were the best ones going on this forum

Güven
10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
LOL!!!!!! ;D

Yeah sister Muslimah421 one of the best story writers on LI, dont you remember your stories , im still waiting ! :p

IbnAbdulHakim
10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
i think 750 words should be the minimum IMHO

1000 is very long :ooh:

Re.TiReD
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mz
i think 750 words should be the minimum IMHO

1000 is very long :ooh:
Okie doke akhee. To be honest I'm not sure they'll pay much attention to words...just that it shouldnt exceed the limit coz that might get kinda *yawnsome* lol yeh so if you think 750 then go for it insha'Allah

*could you please feedback in judges thread* :-[

Kas1m
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I dont understand a couple of things. Are we meant to write a story of the prophets or anything islamic? Or do we have to write fiction as in create our own characters and put them through a situation?

Na7lah
10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
write a story about anything as long as it's islamic in some way

Kas1m
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM
write a story about anything as long as it's islamic in some way
Okay i got it and deadline is 1st of december

Na7lah
10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
yep ^

Cabdullahi
10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I wont be participating but all the best for those who will

Re.TiReD
10-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Ameen ^_^

Kas1m
10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
oh man this is exciting. already thought a story up :D

Re.TiReD
10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kasim
oh man this is exciting. already thought a story up :D
Kool akhee ^_^ please remember to PM me your entry and that it should remain anonymous insha'Allah

Kas1m
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Kool akhee ^_^ please remember to PM me your entry and that it should remain anonymous insha'Allah
i know but we still got a month. i can write 2000 words in two hours but for this ill make sure its good.

will you post up all the stories like the poems?

Re.TiReD
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kasim
i know but we still got a month. i can write 2000 words in two hours but for this ill make sure its good.

will you post up all the stories like the poems?
Yes insha'Allah, but not just yet...once all the entries have been submitted and then...

All the best Akhee ^_^

Kas1m
10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes insha'Allah, but not just yet...once all the entries have been submitted and then...

All the best Akhee ^_^
:thumbs_up jazakallah ukhtee

جوري
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
an essay should always be short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the subject...
you can have a very meaningful paragraph with few expressive words, or a draggy ostentatious one failing to rouse interest and causing the reader mental weariness.

You should always work to cultivate YOUR OWN unique style insha'Allah..

Re.TiReD
10-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Some great advice sis, JazakAllah khayr ^_^

Some more advice from the mods:

Judging literature is one of the most difficult of tasks. Each person has strong personal bias as to what constitutes good or bad literature. The fairest way is for the organizer of a literary contest to write a standard score sheet to be used by each judge.

The organizer of a literary contest needs to establish the criteria by which it is to be judged and than establish a score sheet to be used by all the judges and try to have a judging panel free from personal bias.

A suggested generic scoring sheet:

Rate each on a scale of one to 10. One being the lowest mark 10 being the highest.

1. Grammar

2. ease of reading

3. Understandability

4. Author's knowledge of the subject

5. Ease of understanding the work

6. Judges personal like of the work
The way in which stories are marked for coursework is that a mark is given out of 15 for the content of the story, i.e the plot, characters and the build up etc etc, and a mark out of 5 for grammar, so spelling, punctuation etc etc, and a total mark out of 20.

I think that each judge should give a mark, say out of 20 for each story, then we can work out a total, and that should insha'Allah give a clear winner.

So please write your stories taking the above into consideration ^_^

Ali.
10-22-2008, 06:40 PM
So let me get this straight. If one writes a story, they PM it to you, and you PM it to the judges and only the judges, and the winning one will then be posted in a new thread: correct?

Re.TiReD
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
So let me get this straight. If one writes a story, they PM it to you, and you PM it to the judges and only the judges, and the winning one will then be posted in a new thread: correct?
Correct.

But, the entries will also be posted by me in a thread in the main forum whilst we are waiting for the judges to come to a decision, it'll just be a little interesting for us during the judging process I guess. The entries will remain anonymous though until the winning one is anounced.

Entrants must ensure that they do not give away which entry belongs to them. But yeah....you're about right

Nájlá
10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
looking forward to read all ur stories

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.