She rose to shade me from the sun,
A soul more beloved to me than my own.
She rose to shade me and behold!
A sun shading me from the sun

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
^ WHOAH!

lol that is what you call a poet, that guy musta been in serious love mashaAllaah :D

Güven
10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
:sl:

!!!!!!!!!!MASHA'ALLAH!!!!!!!!! :ooh:

Sahabiyaat
10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
It could be his mother ! :D lol

that was nice MasahaAllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
10-26-2008, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat

Naah I dont think so lol :D

IbnAbdulHakim
10-26-2008, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat

thats interesting to be honest

i never heard of a mother called the sun before

hmm your right though, it could very well be although i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it

Sahabiyaat
10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Clarify Abu Sayyad!!!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-26-2008, 05:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's his spouse, because I think if it was his mother, he would have risen to cover her from the sun's rays rather than the opposite. Plus, he's describing her beauty by comparing her to the sun, that's not something someone would do to their mother.

Here's one I found by Ibn Qayyim, (I just have the transliteration since the brother who heard it jotted it down from a lecture):
Wa kuntu athunu an qad tanaahaa bee al hawaa,
ilaa ghaayatin laysa lee ba'dahaa mazhabu.

Falamaa talaaqaynaa wa aayantu husnahaa,
alimtu anni kuntu qablu alabu.

I once thought that my love extended beyond all bounds * to a point from which there was no escape,

But when we met and I beheld her beauty * I realized that everything before (her) was mere play!

Re.TiReD
10-26-2008, 05:11 PM
She rose....

I imagine she was as beloved as a rose too...

A sun shading me from the sun. That part sounds amazing :o

JazakAllah khayr

WassalamuAlaykum

Pk_#2
10-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Li has been struck by the love bug Lol :coolious:

MashaAllaah.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-26-2008, 05:15 PM
That line just hit me deep. Like I literally had to read the poem a few times to digest it..

Na7lah
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
this is soo nice mashalah :ooh:

afzalaung
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
mA...nice poem...
though..its the first time i've seen the 'sun' refered to as a 'she'.
so..
could the persona be refering to something more inanimate..like a mountain..or a tree..or maybe his homeland?

Re.TiReD
10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
The word Sun is actually feminine is it not? ^

Ummu Sufyaan
10-27-2008, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JolieFleur

WassalamuAlaykum
i wudda thought that that bit meant that she shades him from the sun because hmm how can i say...as a wife she shields him from the haram *wink wink* lol

but reading the poem again, i would think he thinks shes more beautiful than the sun.. i mean if he describes her as more beloved to him than his own soul, why wouldnt she be more beautiful than the sun...hmm....

btw, whose ibn al 'Ameed, anyway :?

Snowflake
10-27-2008, 07:42 AM
:ooh:

SubhanAllah, that's some emotion! is the poet still alive? :embarrass:

I once thought that my love extended beyond all bounds * to a point from which there was no escape,

But when we met and I beheld her beauty * I realized that everything before (her) was mere play!
I didn't quite understand the last line. does it mean that everything before he met her was a game, or everything is a game to her?

Ummu Sufyaan
10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I didn't quite understand the last line. does it mean that everything before he met her was a game, or everything is a game to her?
yeah i was a lil confused by the english too :-[ but i reread the transliteration, and i think it means the former...that before he met her, it was a game. and i think what he may mean by that, is that he was in a delusion.. like maybe every girl before he met her he was kidding himself...does that make sense :-[

buddy1
10-27-2008, 08:25 AM
You have a wonderful talent!! more more more more more!!!! :D

Maymuna
10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
beautiful poem especially the part " sun shading me from sun" love it. Only if we knew who the poet was talking about.

Re.TiReD
10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah

SubhanAllah, that's some emotion! is the poet still alive? :embarrass:

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramlah

yeah i was a lil confused by the english too :-[ but i reread the transliteration, and i think it means the former...that before he met her, it was a game. and i think what he may mean by that, is that he was in a delusion.. like maybe every girl before he met her he was kidding himself...does that make sense :-[

Everything before her was nothing in comparison. That's the meaning I get from it.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
^ Agreed

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
btw, whose ibn al 'Ameed, anyway :?
:w:

I''m not exactly sure, but I do recall reading about a scholar of hadeeth with the same name who lived in the 3th or 4th century Hijri. It may be him or someone else.

format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah

Before he met and saw his new beloved, he thought that what he felt was real 'love'. However, after he met and saw her, he realized that whatever he thought of 'love' as before was not real, i.e. 'mere play' because only after meeting her, he truly loved.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-30-2008, 06:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
Before he met and saw his new beloved, he thought that what he felt was real 'love'. However, after he met and saw her, he realized that whatever he thought of 'love' as before was not real, i.e. 'mere play' because only after meeting her, he truly loved.
jazakallahu khair, thats what i was trying to get at...

Nájlá
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
:ooh: mashallah that was amazing

جوري
11-06-2008, 02:28 AM
what an excellent poem/prose..

on the subject matter .. this has been one of my fav.. not written by me

If love should count you worthy, and should deign
One day to seek your door and be your guest,
Pause! ere you draw the bolt and bid him rest,
If in your old content you would remain,
For not alone he enters; in his train are angels of the mists, the lonely quest
Dreams of the unfulfilled and unpossessed,
And sorrow, and life's immemorial pain..
He wakes desires you never will forget,
He shows you stars you never saw before,
He makes you share with him, for evermore,
The burden of the world's divine regret.
How wise you were to open not! and yet,
How poor if you should turn him from the door!

Sidney Royse Lysaght ---

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.