/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Allah - God of muslims?

Adiva
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
:sl:

Many non-Muslims have come to incorrectly believe that Allah is the 'God of Muslims' – A deity somehow different from the God of the other faiths.

It should be emphasised that the term "Allah" has no implied meaning at all of an Arabian god, a Moon god or even a Muslim god. Muslims are not claiming any exclusiveness when they say "Allah". However Allah is simply the Arabic Name of the one Almighty God; the same name by which Arabic-speaking Jews and Christians, refer to God.

The Allah comes from the term 'al-ilaah'. Al is the definite article in Arabic, equivalent to 'the' in English, while ilaah means 'a deity or god'. So Allah means The God. This is beautifully articulated in the first pillar of Islam which is to believe that God is One, in Arabic it would be, "La ilaha illallah" meaning "There is no god but God"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ammarahnaf
11-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Allah is God for all mankind but many non-muslim not believe it. Some of them knows and agreed but still put their faith on false religion. Maybe their heart not being open for Islam yet.

Islam Responses

Khalil_Allah
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
yeah, this is why so many non-muslims just don't get it.

Fortunately, when you talk about Isa as praying to Allah swt, and Musa as talking to Allah swt, then they start to realize that rasulullah saws was not talking about a god, but THE GOD.

syilla
11-04-2008, 04:46 AM
:salamext:

it is not just the non muslims...

muslims also have to be very careful... i have heard alot saying that ... that is the god (when see a figure or person) of 'this and that religion'.

we muslims should not be saying that...there is only one god that is Allah.

wassallam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faith.
11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I think non-muslims just get confused as they regard everyone else's relgion to be THE GOD, example Christians belive in one god, but when it comes to Muslims then its just regarded as a Muslim God,...or what the Muslim people worship.
Astagfiruallah..:(

aadil77
11-09-2008, 09:56 AM

So how come in many english Quran translations the word 'Allah' is used, why don't they just use the word 'God'

Even in the Pickthall translation 'Allah' is used, it kind of shows Allah is exclusive to muslims

:confused:

Eric H
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Blessings and peace be with you all,

We are all created by the same God which makes us all brothers and sisters together; despite all our differences.

In the spirit of praying to one God

Eric

ziyad786
11-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Show the non muslim a copy of the arabic bible for their fellow chrisitans, it don't say anythig except Allah

K.Venugopal
11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adiva
...ilaah means 'a deity or god'.
Does ilaah also mean 'idol'?

aadil77
11-10-2008, 09:47 AM

Can someone help me out with an answer to my Q^?, curious to know

ziyad786
11-11-2008, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77

So how come in many english Quran translations the word 'Allah' is used, why don't they just use the word 'God'

Even in the Pickthall translation 'Allah' is used, it kind of shows Allah is exclusive to muslims

:confused:
its not exclusive to muslims, the arabs have been using it long before. God i belive is not the most befitting word as it denotes male gender etc whilst in arabic there is no male or female Allah.

K.Venugopal
11-12-2008, 05:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ziyad786
its not exclusive to muslims, the arabs have been using it long before. God i belive is not the most befitting word as it denotes male gender etc whilst in arabic there is no male or female Allah.
I do not know how it is in Arabic, but in all English translations of the Quran "He" is used to denote Allah.

aadil77
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ziyad786
well so does the word 'He' which is used in the Quran

- Qatada -
11-12-2008, 03:53 PM

illaah is a 'deity' or anything which is worshiped. whereas none of these should be worshiped since they are not truly God [they themselves are created].

That's why He is the true Allah [Al=the Illaah=God] because He is perfect and uncreated [self existent] - and the other gods are false.

aadil77
11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

illaah is a 'deity' or anything which is worshiped. whereas none of these should be worshiped since they are not truly God [they themselves are created].

That's why He is the true Allah [Al=the Illaah=God] because He is perfect and uncreated [self existent] - and the other gods are false.
So in Quraan translations, the authors are right to use the word 'Allah' instead of 'God', right?

- Qatada -
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM

The word Allah is used in the translations because God is not really Allah's name, since the word 'god' can have other attachments to it like godfather, godmother etc. Whereas the name and word Allah is free from these imperfections.

So the translator writes Allah for the real name Allah. The same way 'the Most Merciful' is not Allah's name, but Al Rahman [which means the Merciful] is Allah's name.

Only the arabic names which are mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah are the real names of Allah. And that's because these are free from flaws and in the way Allah's Messenger conveyed them. Whereas with other languages - there's usually a flaw within them translations in some way or atleast a sign of imperfection, which Allah is free from.

aadil77
11-12-2008, 04:24 PM

The word Allah is used in the translations because God is not really Allah's name, since the word 'god' can have other attachments to it like godfather, godmother etc. Whereas the name and word Allah is free from these imperfections.

So the translator writes Allah for the real name Allah. The same way 'the Most Merciful' is not Allah's name, but Al Rahman [which means the Merciful] is Allah's name.

Only the arabic names which are mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah are the real names of Allah. And that's because these are free from flaws and in the way Allah's Messenger conveyed them. Whereas with other languages - there's usually a flaw within them translations in some way or atleast a sign of imperfection, which Allah is free from.
ok thanks

K.Venugopal
11-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Islam has not only defined who should be worshiped, but also how He should be worshipped. Is it possible to worship Allah in any other way except Salat?

- Qatada -
11-14-2008, 06:45 PM
worship is synonymous with servitude in islam, which is always based on love,hope and fear in a balanced way. Everything good a muslim does in life can be worship if it is done for Allahs pleasure: from praying salat, to putting a piece of food in ones wifes mouth :) etc.

K.Venugopal
11-15-2008, 06:56 AM
worship is synonymous with servitude in islam, which is always based on love,hope and fear in a balanced way. Everything good a muslim does in life can be worship if it is done for Allahs pleasure: from praying salat, to putting a piece of food in ones wifes mouth :) etc.
Would worship (salat) be considered worship if I do it differently, say, by facing the sun instead of Mecca?

Malaikah
11-15-2008, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by K.Venugopal
Would worship (salat) be considered worship if I do it differently, say, by facing the sun instead of Mecca?
No, no, no and NO!

Sorry for all the 'no's but I wanted to make that totally clear. Prayer can only be done in the way Allah taught us to pray.

For example, we were commanded to pray towards makkah. We can't change that and pray to anything else. However we do have some flexibility in how we are allowed to pray, for example we can make the prayer last 5 minutes or half an hour. We also have flexibility in which chapters of the Quran we can read during the prayer.

General you can make anything worship if you are doing for the sake of Allah. For example, a mother raising her children to the best of her ability because commanded her to do that. If she does it with the intention of pleasing God then that is like an act of worship.

So worship in Islam is not exclusively restricted to prayer.

What would not be allowed would be making something up. For example, a person says in order to worship God they are going to run a lap around the oval as a form of prayer (silly example I know but I can't think of anything else). Also, doing something forbidden as a an act of worship isn't allowed either.

Hope that helps.

- Qatada -
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM

For any act of worship to be accepted by Allah, it first has to be accompanied with faith in Him, and His Messenger, Muhammad (peace be upon him).

After this, we need to make a clear understanding of the types of worship;

1) The first type is ritualistic, and any deed you do [i.e. salat - prayer, hajj - the pilgrimage to Makkah, zakat - the 2.5% charity of your whole wealth, fasting etc] has to be performed according to how Allah's Messenger, Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us.

2) The second type is non ritualistic, and it includes anything good you do to benefit mankind, for the sake of pleasing Allah. Such as feeding ones wife, family etc. for this you are rewarded too.
For the 1st type, you can't make up your own rules (everything is haraam in these acts of worship unless proven with evidence from Allah's Messengers example) - you follow the Messenger of Allah as much as you can.

For the 2nd type, everything is permitted (of doing good) unless proven to be haraam [forbidden]. This permissible deed will then be a source of reward for you.

Since salat (1 of the 5 daily prayers) is in the first category, you cannot make up your own rituals for it. You have to follow Allah's Messenger for it to be accepted, and accompany this act with belief that He really is Allah's Messenger (that's why you would obey him.)

K.Venugopal
11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Was the Salat that is done today in existence before the advent of Mohammad?

- Qatada -
11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
There are some similarities of it in the Bible of the previous Messengers of Allah; :)

King James Bible
O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. [Psalms 95:6]

Genesis 17: 1-3

1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty [a] ; walk before me and be blameless. 2 I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers."

3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations...

Joshua 5:14

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
He said, "No; rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the LORD." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and bowed down, and said to him, "What has my lord to say to his servant?"

Numbers 20:6

6Then Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly to the entrance of the tent of meeting and(A) fell on their faces.(B) And the glory of the LORD appeared to them,

Matthew 26:39

39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed...

..prostrate yourselves before Allah and serve Him.
[Quran 53:62]

Even the concept of washing before prayer [wudhu in arabic];

Exodus 40:30-1

He set the basin between the tent of meeting and the altar, and put water in it for washing,

31with which Moses and(A) Aaron and his sons(B) washed their hands and their feet.

O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, Allah doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful. [Quran 5:6]

There's even verses on hijab (covering for women i.e. Quran 24:31, 33:33 etc) in the following verses/chapters from the bible:

1 Corinthians 11: 5, Genesis 24:65, Ruth 3:15, Isaiah 3:23, Matthew 5:27-8.

But obviously the earlier verses may be more relevant. :) We believe that the Bible has got some truth to it because some of it was from former Messengers of God, but alot was distorted since the followers got influenced by the polytheistic faiths i.e. the concept of God incarnating in the creation is a pagan idea which the christians accepted, but this contradicted the concept of the 1 Perfect and flawless God. Allah sent His final Messenger with the final Message which would be protected and conveyed for all of mankind, to take them out of the darkness into the light.

O people! indeed there has come to you the truth from your Lord, therefore whoever goes aright, he goes aright only for the good of his own soul, and whoever goes astray, he goes astray only to the detriment of it, and I am not a custodian over you. [Quran 10:108]

K.Venugopal
11-19-2008, 06:25 AM
There are some similarities of it in the Bible of the previous Messengers of Allah; :)

King James Bible
O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. [Psalms 95:6]

Genesis 17: 1-3

1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty [a] ; walk before me and be blameless. 2 I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers."

3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations...

Joshua 5:14

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
He said, "No; rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the LORD." And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and bowed down, and said to him, "What has my lord to say to his servant?"

Numbers 20:6

6Then Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly to the entrance of the tent of meeting and(A) fell on their faces.(B) And the glory of the LORD appeared to them,

Matthew 26:39

39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed...

..prostrate yourselves before Allah and serve Him.
[Quran 53:62]

Even the concept of washing before prayer [wudhu in arabic];

Exodus 40:30-1

He set the basin between the tent of meeting and the altar, and put water in it for washing,

31with which Moses and(A) Aaron and his sons(B) washed their hands and their feet.

O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, Allah doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful. [Quran 5:6]

There's even verses on hijab (covering for women i.e. Quran 24:31, 33:33 etc) in the following verses/chapters from the bible:

1 Corinthians 11: 5, Genesis 24:65, Ruth 3:15, Isaiah 3:23, Matthew 5:27-8.

But obviously the earlier verses may be more relevant. :) We believe that the Bible has got some truth to it because some of it was from former Messengers of God, but alot was distorted since the followers got influenced by the polytheistic faiths i.e. the concept of God incarnating in the creation is a pagan idea which the christians accepted, but this contradicted the concept of the 1 Perfect and flawless God. Allah sent His final Messenger with the final Message which would be protected and conveyed for all of mankind, to take them out of the darkness into the light.

O people! indeed there has come to you the truth from your Lord, therefore whoever goes aright, he goes aright only for the good of his own soul, and whoever goes astray, he goes astray only to the detriment of it, and I am not a custodian over you. [Quran 10:108]

I don't know whether your post is in reply to my post:

Was the Salat that is done today in existence before the advent of Mohammad?

Finding similarities is not a conclusion that Salat after Mohammad was the same as Salat before Mohammad. Moreover, similarities can be found between Salat and Hindu forms of worship.

syilla
11-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Actually you have to read the islamic history to know the history of our salah...

Mainly i can only say that... it is related to one of the most historical event which is isra' mi'raj.

you can read it a abit in this thread...

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...al-mi-raj.html

north_malaysian
11-19-2008, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

it is not just the non muslims...

muslims also have to be very careful... i have heard alot saying that ... that is the god (when see a figure or person) of 'this and that religion'.

we muslims should not be saying that...there is only one god that is Allah.

wassallam
I think you are refering to Malaysians right...

yeah...it's usual to hear Muslims calling idols or pics of other religious group figures as Tuhan Hindu (Hindu God), Tuhan Cina (Chinese God), Tuhan Kristian (Christian God), Tuhan depa (Their God)...

another thing that I'm curious is that... what is the ruling for Muslims using the word dewa (god), dewi (goddess), dewata (gods)...

I think there are lots of Malay songs that contain the word "dewi"...

syilla
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I
another thing that I'm curious is that... what is the ruling for Muslims using the word dewa (god), dewi (goddess), dewata (gods)...

I think there are lots of Malay songs that contain the word "dewi"...
whoaa...never think about that...

you're right...we should always becareful

i don't know about the rulings... but it is really an eye opener...

anyway...most of the songs itself are not islamic.

Remember the song... "menunggu mu di pintu syurga"
Waiting you at heaven's door...

so very optimistic lol

- Qatada -
11-19-2008, 08:48 AM

bro north malaysian, its not good to call Allah by names which He has not called Himself with. So stick to Allah, and the names which He has mentioned in the Qur'an.

If i say 'God' - that isn't Allah's name, sometimes we might only say that in discussions to make other people understand that it really is the same One Allah, the Lord of the Worlds that we're talking about.

K.Venugopal, there are alot of similarities in our prayers to other nations who were before us. This is because we believe that Allah sent His previous Messengers' with acts of prayers too, which may have been similar or even slightly different. But in most cases they involved prostration [sajdah] etc.

However, if your question is whether this salat was performed by the arabs at the time of Prophet Muhammad, then no it wasn't. Allah informs us;

And what (excuse) have they that Allah should not chastise them while they hinder (men) from the Sacred Mosque and they are not (fit to be) guardians of it; its guardians are only those who guard (against evil), but most of them do not know.

And their worship at the (holy) House is naught but whistling and hand-clapping.
Therefore (it is said unto them): Taste of the doom because ye disbelieve.

[Qur'an 8:34-5]

Peace.

north_malaysian
11-20-2008, 04:04 AM

bro north malaysian, its not good to call Allah by names which He has not called Himself with. So stick to Allah, and the names which He has mentioned in the Qur'an.
I agree... I just referring to average Malaysians...

north_malaysian
11-20-2008, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
whoaa...never think about that...

you're right...we should always becareful

i don't know about the rulings... but it is really an eye opener...

anyway...most of the songs itself are not islamic.

Remember the song... "menunggu mu di pintu syurga"
Waiting you at heaven's door...

so very optimistic lol
maybe we should further discuss this in BM thread...

K.Venugopal
11-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Incidentally, is it true that Malay language contains a large percentage of Sanskrit?

syilla
11-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Incidentally, is it true that Malay language contains a large percentage of Sanskrit?
and arabic and jawa...and others...

p/s:- sorry if being off topic

north_malaysian
11-20-2008, 07:27 AM
1/3 Sanskrit
1/3 Arabic
1/3 English, Portuguese, Tamil, Hindi, Persian, Hokkien, and tens of languages.....

originally, only 3 words are actually Malay (out of tens of thousands words)... ie. padi (paddy), ubi (plants like cassava, yam etc) and babi (pig)

Vito
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I do not know how it is in Arabic, but in all English translations of the Quran "He" is used to denote Allah.
I would like to know more about this as well. Sorry if there was a topic on this.. I'm not very good with the search feature

Vito
01-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't know how to edit but I wanted to add that I use He as well and I really don't know as to the reason why

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.