/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "السلام عليكم" translations in your languages...

north_malaysian
11-08-2008, 07:33 AM
In order for people to understand the meaning of the official Muslim greeting "السلام عليكم" , let us give its translations in various languages... :D

In Malaysian language:

"Salam sejahtera ke atas kamu"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
malayloveislam
12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't know much about Latin, but I had encountered the equivalent of Assalamualaikum in Latin. It is Pax Vobiscum, just checked English Dictionary in the back part.

ardianto
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
In Malaysian language:

"Salam sejahtera ke atas kamu"[/QUOTE]

If you say "Salam sejahtera ke atas kamu" to Indonesians,
they will think you say greeting to something over (di atas) their head.

Al-Hanbali
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
:salamext:

English: May Peace Be Upon You :-)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
12-29-2008, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by malayloveislam
i don't know much about latin, but i had encountered the equivalent of assalamualaikum in latin. It is pax vobiscum, just checked english dictionary in the back part.
PAX VOBISCVM
it should be capitalized, Romans only new capital letters.

yasin ibn Ahmad
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
:sl:
Turkish :
Allah'ın selameti üzerine olsun

north_malaysian
12-30-2008, 04:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In Malaysian language:

"Salam sejahtera ke atas kamu"

If you say "Salam sejahtera ke atas kamu" to Indonesians,
they will think you say greeting to something over (di atas) their head.[/quote]

LOL.... the Indonesians take it very literally.... LOL...

it's the official translation in Malaysian language... LOL

north_malaysian
12-30-2008, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
PAX VOBISCVM
it should be capitalized, Romans only new capital letters.
VOBISCVM = the "V" is "U" right?:blind:

Whatsthepoint
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
VOBISCVM = the "V" is "U" right?:blind:
V is good.

Periwinkle18
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Urdu: App per Salamti ho. :)

Abdu-l-Majeed
12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
As-Salamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh = Es-Selamu 'alejkum ve rahmatullahi ve berekatuh.

I've never heard anyone using a translation, but it would go something like: Neka je s vama mir, Allahova milost i blagoslov.

Periwinkle18
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
no one uses the translation here too ppl just say Assalam o alikum

ardianto
12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Official translation in Bahasa Indonesia :

" "

( Nothing. Never translated. )

sister herb
12-30-2008, 07:09 PM
By Finnish: "rauha kanssanne"

anatolian
12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
In Turkish literally "Selam(Peace) üzerine(upon you) olsun(be)"

anatolian
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
As-Salamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh = Es-Selamu 'alejkum ve rahmatullahi ve berekatuh.

I've never heard anyone using a translation, but it would go something like: Neka je s vama mir, Allahova milost i blagoslov.
Neka je s vama mir, Allahova milost i blagoslov :)

Is that Bosnian?

Whatsthepoint
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Neka je s vama mir, Allahova milost i blagoslov :)

Is that Bosnian?
Nobody knows whether the Bosnian language actually exists and I'm not messing with you here.
Bosnia is a complicated country, the entire Balkans is complicated.

yasin ibn Ahmad
01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Nobody knows whether the Bosnian language actually exists and I'm not messing with you here.
As far as I know there is only one language which older Yugoslavia countries speak.They just give different names to one language.In this case , what a Bosnian speak is Bosnian.And what a Serbian speak is Serbian while actually they are the same language.

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 01:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin ibn Ahmad
As far as I know there is only one language which older Yugoslavia countries speak.They just give different names to one language.In this case , what a Bosnian speak is Bosnian.And what a Serbian speak is Serbian while actually they are the same language.
There were 3 official languages in former Yugoslavia. Serbocoratian, slovenian and Macedonian. After the war Croatian and Serbian were declared the official languages of Croatia and Serbia respectively. There are some minor differences, however certain Croatian dialects are closer to official Serbian than official Croatian and vice versa. Bosniaks have a sort of language, though seeing how three ethnicities live in Bosnia, its usually called Bosniak language.

wth1257
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I knew a Croatian girl who sure thought she spoke Bosnian^o)

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
I knew a Croatian girl who sure thought she spoke Bosnian^o)
As I said, it is a delicate issue.
I know a couple of Bosnian immigrants of all 3 ethnicities and they can't agree on the existence and properties of the Bosnian language.

wth1257
01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
As I said, it is a delicate issue.
I know a couple of Bosnian immigrants of all 3 ethnicities and they can't agree on the existence and properties of the Bosnian language.

"The Bosnian Language" is a distinct issue from "Bosniak" Serbian, Croatian, and Bosniak are all simmilar and mutually intelligible, so there is some debate as to if Bosniak is really a distinct "language" rather than a dialect, kind of likt the debate over if Serbian is really distinct from Croatian but I don't know of any doubt that this, at the very least, dialect/language actually exists. It is acknowledged in international treties and there are books written about it.

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
"The Bosnian Language" is a distinct issue from "Bosniak" Serbian, Croatian, and Bosniak are all simmilar and mutually intelligible, so there is some debate as to if Bosniak is really a distinct "language" rather than a dialect, kind of likt the debate over if Serbian is really distinct from Croatian but I don't know of any doubt that this, at the very least, dialect/language actually exists. It is acknowledged in international treties and there are books written about it.
Ok, I guess I stand corrected. I'll try to look into the issue.

sister herb
01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
:w:

My ex-husband lived and studied before (at 1970s´) in Sarajevo. He told that serbs and bosniaks spoken almost same language but they had some different dialects together.

Whatsthepoint
01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
:w:

My ex-husband lived and studied before (at 1970s´) in Sarajevo. He told that serbs and bosniaks spoken almost same language but they had some different dialects together.
When everyone got along slightly better, there was only one official language, serbocroatian.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.