/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam does not and should not provide the answers to everything

Thinker
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
A previous thread I created was closed by the administrator who answered one of the issues I raised by saying ‘Islam provides the answers to everything.’

He said that and I have formed the view that many Muslims do believe that literally; they believe that an answer can be found in Islamic teachings for any question, however obscure. In fact this can clearly be seen by looking at some of the mind-boggling questions asked on the IslamQ&A sites and the plethora of ‘scholars’ ready to answer them.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to get an understanding of how different Muslims get different answer from the same Islam text and I have formed the view on why that is. So what’s the point I am trying to make?

My point is that, if a Muslim believes he can find amongst Islamic text the answer to ‘any’ question the resulting answer he finds becomes the word of God. And as it is clear that some Muslims get different answers from the same text is it not potentially harmful to suggest that ‘Islam provides the answers to everything?’

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
islam provides the answer to everything you need in order to get through life and have a good position in the next!

it wont tell you what custard smells like, or what mixture of chemicals can create a cure for Aids or anything like that, but it answers everything human beings need to know to get through life...

Muhammad
11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Greetings Thinker,

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
I have formed the view that many Muslims do believe that literally; they believe that an answer can be found in Islamic teachings for any question, however obscure. In fact this can clearly be seen by looking at some of the mind-boggling questions asked on the IslamQ&A sites and the plethora of ‘scholars’ ready to answer them.
I have noticed that you have a tendency to form your own views regarding the religion of Islam. May I suggest that you exert the effort to understand what Islam actually is, as opposed to what you believe it is. Otherwise there is no point asking questions if you will still insist on putting forth your personal opinions and pretending they are facts.

Moving on to your question, the religion of Islam is perfect and complete. Allaah the Exalted has told us Himself in His glorious Book that everything has been explained; nothing has been left out. Hence our success in this life and the hereafter lies in following the guidance given by Allaah and His final Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). And this is only logical, because the fact that Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was the last prophet means the religion revealed to him must be complete, perfect and sufficient, otherwise the people would be in need of a new messenger to explain the rest of the religion.

So all our problems and affairs have an answer in Islam. Sometimes this will be mentioned under a specific ruling and other times under a more general one; the main point is that all the principles are there. This is why I mentioned that for a Muslim living in a non-Muslim country, and for someone going through the transition from childhood to adulthood, these are no barriers to being a good Muslim because Islam provides guidelines for every aspect of our lives. It is a religion applicable to everyone, at all times and in all places.

Looking at IslamQA or any fatwa site for that matter, you will see how answers to people's questions are provided using the principles in Islam. This shows the beauty and superiority of Islam, as it has laid down all the foundations that we need to cope with whatever situation may arise.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to get an understanding of how different Muslims get different answer from the same Islam text and I have formed the view on why that is. So what’s the point I am trying to make?

My point is that, if a Muslim believes he can find amongst Islamic text the answer to ‘any’ question the resulting answer he finds becomes the word of God. And as it is clear that some Muslims get different answers from the same text is it not potentially harmful to suggest that ‘Islam provides the answers to everything?’
Let us not confuse two topics together. Why different Muslims interpret the same text differently is the topic of your other thread about the Qur'an, Hadith and Scholars. This thread is dealing with the principle that Islam is complete. We can discuss textual interpretation in the appropriate thread.

Peace.

YusufNoor
11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
A previous thread I created was closed by the administrator who answered one of the issues I raised by saying ‘Islam provides the answers to everything.’

He said that and I have formed the view that many Muslims do believe that literally; they believe that an answer can be found in Islamic teachings for any question, however obscure. In fact this can clearly be seen by looking at some of the mind-boggling questions asked on the IslamQ&A sites and the plethora of ‘scholars’ ready to answer them.

Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

try to go be what Islam is, and not so much by what a lot of Muslims think it is. and YES, i DO see your point about the potential harm.

BUT, TRY to look at the BEAUTY of Islam and at how it provides platform for how to live your ENTIRE life!

if you have the patience, i just finished re-listening to this set of lectures by Mufti Ismail Menk about the Social Conduct of A Muslim:

http://www.nazirakoob.com/menk/SocialConduct.html

try listening to the entire set [MAYBE 6 hours]. i think that you will have a much better idea about what Islam is supposed to be, In Sha'a Allah!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AntiKarateKid
11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I HAVE AN EXCELLENT AUTHENTIC HADITH THAT TOTALLY RELATES TO THIS!!!

Once when the Prophet was deputing his companion Mu`adh to Yemen, he asked the latter,"What will you do if you have to decide a matter faced by you?" He replied, "I will decide it according to the Book of Allah." The Prophet further asked, "If you do not find anything about it in the Book of Allah, then what?" He answered, "In that case I’ll decide according to the Sunnah of the Prophet of Allah." At this the Prophet asked, "If you do not find anything in the Sunnah of the Prophet?" He said, "I’ll decide it with my own opinion (i.e. apply the reasoning power) and leave no stone unturned." Hearing this, the Prophet applauded, "Praise be to Allah who guided the apostle of the Prophet the methodology which the Prophet himself likes." (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

doorster
11-14-2008, 11:38 PM

mind-boggling questions asked on the IslamQ&A sites
avoid them like a plague unless you are a Muslim and you know what you are looking for, I think their numbers and differences are as huge as there are stars in the sky

following link from a genuine non-sectarian site will help (those who really want to be helped)

Sources of Legislation

Muhammad
11-15-2008, 11:53 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
avoid them like a plague unless you are a Muslim and you know what you are looking for, I think their numbers and differences are as huge as there are stars in the sky

following link from a genuine non-sectarian site will help (those who really want to be helped)
It would have been sufficient to simply post another link. Making allegations against the other website was unnecessary.

Saimah Ali
11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Greetings Thinker,

And as it is clear that some Muslims get different answers from the same text
This is because they don't have the 'certificate' to analyse texts correctly. E.g. let's say you are a patient and you will say that paracetamol is good for coughs, without knowing the illnesses paracetamol cures, etc. Only a doctor would know it can cure some headaches because he has studied deep into the field.

It is the same in Islam. If you haven't studied deep into Islam, then some of the issues that a person makes a judgement on [without studying them beforehand] may reach an incorrect conclusion. They may take the Qur'an verse or the hadith [saying of the Prophet PBUH] out of context at the time it was revealed, hence reaching a mixture of conclusions. This is why Muslims should ask Alims [Islamic scholars], who have studied Islam deeply.

Hope this was of some help.

Peace

MSalman
11-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Sources of Legislation
As-Salamu 'Alaykum respected brother

I would like to know based on what you said all this?

czgibson
11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
I have noticed that you have a tendency to form your own views regarding the religion of Islam. May I suggest that you exert the effort to understand what Islam actually is, as opposed to what you believe it is. Otherwise there is no point asking questions if you will still insist on putting forth your personal opinions and pretending they are facts.
I think you're being unfair to Thinker here. He's not pretending his opinions are facts at all - in fact, he announces that they are subjective by saying "I have formed the view..."

Moving on to your question, the religion of Islam is perfect and complete. Allaah the Exalted has told us Himself in His glorious Book that everything has been explained; nothing has been left out.
So why is it that I can think of thousands upon thousands of questions that are not answered in the Qur'an?

Peace

Muhammad
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
I think you're being unfair to Thinker here. He's not pretending his opinions are facts at all - in fact, he announces that they are subjective by saying "I have formed the view..."
I apologise to Thinker if I offended him. My statement was not based on this one post of his alone, rather the overall impression I have received from reading his posts.

So why is it that I can think of thousands upon thousands of questions that are not answered in the Qur'an?
I never said that every single question imaginable has its answer in the Qur'an. By reading the rest of my post, you will understand the context of my words.

Peace.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
i think ANTI-KARATEKID has nicely answered the question with a beautiful hadith!

mashAllah

czgibson
11-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Greetings,
I never said that every single question imaginable has its answer in the Qur'an. By reading the rest of my post, you will understand the context of my words.
Of course I have read the rest of your post, Muhammad. You're an interesting guy and I'm interested in what you have to say.
everything has been explained; nothing has been left out.
all our problems and affairs have an answer in Islam.
These two sentences refer to the same point, and it is the central point of your post; I am hardly taking you out of context by saying that they are, in the most obvious way, false.

Peace

Muhammad
11-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Greetings czgibson,

Of course I have read the rest of your post, Muhammad. You're an interesting guy and I'm interested in what you have to say.
Thank you :). I did expect you to read the whole of my post, but I found it strange that you asked such a question when I thought I had made it clear.

For instance, regarding the first sentence which you quoted, the sentences before and after it help to put it into the right context:

Moving on to your question, the religion of Islam is perfect and complete. Allaah the Exalted has told us Himself in His glorious Book that everything has been explained; nothing has been left out. Hence our success in this life and the hereafter lies in following the guidance given by Allaah and His final Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
In other words, Islam has explained everything necessary for our success in this life and the hereafter. It is complete in that it has not ignored providing guidance for any aspect of our lives. Hence, all our problems and affairs have an answer in Islam. Clearly, we are not talking about finding minute details like Planck's constant written in the scriptures because this would be practically useless and it isn't the type of answers I was referring to. Rather, the teachings of Islam encompass all aspects of life and nothing has been neglected in this regard.

I hope this has made it clearer as to what I meant :).

Peace.

Eric H
11-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

In a way we look on scriptures to have the answer to everything including the cure for cancer. When you think about it, cancer just ends our temporary life on Earth, scriptures instruct us how to get our life back again and attain a greater goof life after death. Hence we are given the cure for cancer, will we be given all other knowledge after death?

In the spirit of searching for God

Eric

Hawa
11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Seeing as that Muslims take the Quran as a manual (for lack of a better word) to life, it's only natural that they would then refer to it when in need of personal answers and interpret it accordingly. Far from providing the answer to everything, one would say it provides answers to everything relative to it..
Your entire premise seems to be lost in semantics

Ali_Cena
11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
:w: Brothers and sisters.
czigbon, Hey how you doing?
awnays just wanted to point out, you said in your previsoue post that you can think of thousands that is 1000 questions unaswred right? well as long as it has something to do with how we can go the the next life happy, and nothing do with with silly nonsense such as what chemical forumals has custard or whatever have, i dont think you can give 1 not even 1 question, to be left unaswred you understand. well if you can thinik of these thousand questions anway state them then, spill the beans with us at least, so we can see these questions.
Peace to you.

czgibson
11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
:w: Brothers and sisters.
czigbon, Hey how you doing?
awnays just wanted to point out, you said in your previsoue post that you can think of thousands that is 1000 questions unaswred right? well as long as it has something to do with how we can go the the next life happy, and nothing do with with silly nonsense such as what chemical forumals has custard or whatever have, i dont think you can give 1 not even 1 question, to be left unaswred you understand. well if you can thinik of these thousand questions anway state them then, spill the beans with us at least, so we can see these questions.
Peace to you.
You've placed limits on what kind of questions the Qur'an answers, whereas Muhammad said:

Allaah the Exalted has told us Himself in His glorious Book that everything has been explained; nothing has been left out.
I'm simply pointing out that lots has been left out.

Incidentally, why do you think knowing the chemical formula for custard is "silly nonsense"? I think it's very useful knowledge, but maybe that's just cause I love custard. :D

Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Ali_Cena,

when Allah says everythings been explained he didnt mean EVERY literal corner and shadow, no, rather he meant that everything important and needing clarification and guidance has been explained and given clearly!

hope thats clear, Assalamu alaikum

doorster
11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
jazakAllah khair Ali_cina!!

indeed every thing necessary has been explained (but some will not see it since they may lack intellect/common-sense and/or education ) you need 3 tools (i.e Quran - Sunnat - Ijtihad)to find your answers

Once when the Prophet was deputing his companion Mu`adh to Yemen.
He asked Mu`adh:"What will you do if you have to decide a matter faced by you?"

Mu`adh replied: "I will decide it according to the Book of Allah."

The Prophet further asked, "If you do not find anything about it in the Book of Allah, then what?"

He answered, "In that case I’ll decide according to the Sunnah of the Prophet of Allah."

Then the Prophet asked, "If you do not find anything in the Sunnah of the Prophet?"

He said, "I’ll decide it with my own opinion by applying the reasoning power and leave no stone unturned."

Hearing this, the Prophet applauded, "Praise be to Allah who guided the apostle of the Prophet the methodology which the Prophet himself likes." (Reported by Al-Bukhari)
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
Originally Posted by doorster

Sources of Legislation
As-Salamu 'Alaykum respected brother

I would like to know based on what you said all this?
Reply sent by PM to avoid a slanging match

czgibson
11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Greetings,

indeed every thing necessary has been explained (but some will not see it since they may lack intellect/common-sense and/or education )
Since you clearly don't lack any of those things, perhaps you will be able to see that there is a big difference between saying "everything necessary has been explained" (although what is meant by 'necessary' is rather unclear) and "everything has been explained".

Peace

doorster
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM
my target audience are Muslim brethren at risk from your prosetlyzing and preaching tripe at them other than that I do not waste time on your type, feeding trolls is against my principles and taking them on could also get me banned, so excuse me!

Idle useless talk is haram wasting time on fruitless endeavours is against my religion!

23:1. Successful indeed are the believers;
23:2. those who humble themselves in their prayers;
23:3. and those who turn away from Al-Laghw (useless, false, vain talk).

czgibson
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Greetings,
my target audience are Muslim brethren at risk from your prosetlyzing and preaching tripe at them other than that I do not waste time on your type, feeding trolls is against my principles and taking them on could also get me banned, so excuse me!
It's so lovely to be made to feel welcome. :)

All the best with your chosen path.

Peace

Saimah Ali
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Lol do you want to calm down people? Honestly, grow up!

- Qatada -
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
:salamext:

Islam has layed out the principles for answers to life's questions, so we can use these principles to answer the questions we do have in life.

AntiKarateKid
11-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Did everyone skip over the hadith I quoted before? It addressed the TC's question perfectly. What more is there to discuss?:ermm:

As for all these obscure questions that arent even important to our faith:

The messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"Part of someone's being a good Muslim is his leaving alone that which does not concern him."

fine hadith narrated by Termithi and others

Muhammad
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Greetings,

You've placed limits on what kind of questions the Qur'an answers, whereas Muhammad said:

I'm simply pointing out that lots has been left out.
We're going in circles now. Remember when I said, "the sentences before and after it help to put it into the right context". And let us bear in mind that not all knowledge is beneficial, hence things that are not mentioned are not helpful for our ultimate success.

Regards.

czgibson
11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Greetings,
Greetings,
We're going in circles now. Remember when I said, "the sentences before and after it help to put it into the right context". And let us bear in mind that not all knowledge is beneficial, hence things that are not mentioned are not helpful for our ultimate success.

Regards.
It seems you think you've answered my question, although I can't really see how your context changes what looks, on the face of it, to be an absurd statement (viz. "everything is explained in the Qur'an").

Am I right in thinking that what you actually mean is: "everything necessary for success in the afterlife is explained in the Qur'an"?

As for not all knowledge being beneficial, I can again think of many useful bits of knowledge not mentioned in the Qur'an. How to create a smallpox vaccine or an MRI scanner, for example.

Do you see what I mean? Do I see what you mean? :D

Thanks for your responses; I know it'll always be a thought-provoking discussion with you, Muhammad.

Peace

Eric H
11-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Greetings and peace be with you czgibson;
I can again think of many useful bits of knowledge not mentioned in the Qur'an. How to create a smallpox vaccine or an MRI scanner, for example.
Life on Earth is temporary and these medical innovations only prolong life for a few years. Surely the more important information to be found in scriptures is how to obtain eternal life. If we achieve immortality then we shall have no use for vaccines and other short term fixes.

In the spirit of searching for God.

Eric.

doorster
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you czgibson;

Life on Earth is temporary and these medical innovations only prolong life for a few years. Surely the more important information to be found in scriptures is how to obtain eternal life. If we achieve immortality then we shall have no use for vaccines and other short term fixes.

In the spirit of searching for God.

Eric.
greetings

God has not only given us Scripture for guidelines but also a head which contains a thinking brain, and he has not prohibited us from using that brain to come up with things that we need, be they medicine to save life or the A-Bomb to annihilate it.

These kuffar (and some believers too i.e if it were not done 1200 years ago, its bidha, poor things get confused with innovation in worship v innovation in technology) seem to be labouring under the impression that we are banned from using our head and learn/experiment

Peace!

جوري
11-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Greetings,

It seems you think you've answered my question, although I can't really see how your context changes what looks, on the face of it, to be an absurd statement (viz. "everything is explained in the Qur'an").

Am I right in thinking that what you actually mean is: "everything necessary for success in the afterlife is explained in the Qur'an"?

As for not all knowledge being beneficial, I can again think of many useful bits of knowledge not mentioned in the Qur'an. How to create a smallpox vaccine or an MRI scanner, for example.

Do you see what I mean? Do I see what you mean? :D

Thanks for your responses; I know it'll always be a thought-provoking discussion with you, Muhammad.

Peace

You are so funny.. I really don't want to steal someone else's thunder, but what ludicrous expectations..
Let me pose you this question..
you are embarking on a two week holiday to the cayman islands you call your travel agent get a little pamphlet of town attractions, activities for tourists, things to do and things to avoid, how to get there for the best price where to stay, what to do in general to have a safe pleasant trip and stay.. do you also expect from that same pamphlet an answer on how to handle your spouse' peanut allergies?

What is the point of living at all if everything is handed you? Do you give your students the answers to exam questions in advance? why bother, learn live and grow or discover, just have your memories and expectations all set in advance and close the book.. or just simply sit there and await death..

If we are to assume you were given the ability to reason, and we know that God has already stated all the knowledge of the world is already within us, all we have to do is but reach for it.. we have MRI machines and small pox is indeed under control, why would you want that in divine revelation? diseases and needs change as time goes by, what was relevant 7000 yrs ago isnt today and vice versa...some diseases go extinct, some new ones arise, some we have brought upon ourselves, the message of a divine book should be universal.. you should reason your way out of difficulty not whine over why the answer wasn't given you in divine text..

honestly think of what you are requesting.. you'll always be unhappy no matter what lies therein.. because that is your nature (or the nature of some as we have all witnessed)... the same way folks peddle inane questions on every thread-- why five prayers? why not three or six.. well if it were three or six you'd question why not two or seven?
If you have established the criterion, the guide by what all else should be measured, You'll be satisfied it is the skeletal upon which all else is built..

Many scientists are satisfied not to have an actual visible reason behind many elusive phenomenon in our universe.. say 90% of essential hypertension for instance, yet go on treating it anyway without an influx of useless drivel.. for the greater good, in lieu of wasting a life time asking but why with a bunch of geezers who never seem to agree-- don't further the progress of humanity and in the scheme of things don't influence anyone in any positive way!

czgibson
11-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Greetings,

Was all of that meant to be relevant to my posts in some way?

Peace

AntiKarateKid
11-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Greetings,

Was all of that meant to be relevant to my posts in some way?

Peace
Peace CZ,

I wonder if these 2 hadiths have not answered your questions about Islam's stance?

Once when the Prophet was deputing his companion Mu`adh to Yemen, he asked the latter,"What will you do if you have to decide a matter faced by you?" He replied, "I will decide it according to the Book of Allah." The Prophet further asked, "If you do not find anything about it in the Book of Allah, then what?" He answered, "In that case I’ll decide according to the Sunnah of the Prophet of Allah." At this the Prophet asked, "If you do not find anything in the Sunnah of the Prophet?" He said, "I’ll decide it with my own opinion (i.e. apply the reasoning power) and leave no stone unturned." Hearing this, the Prophet applauded, "Praise be to Allah who guided the apostle of the Prophet the methodology which the Prophet himself likes." (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

Also

The messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"Part of someone's being a good Muslim is his leaving alone that which does not concern him."

The first hadith lays out the proper procedure for looking into Islam for answers. The second says that we are given what we need to know to be good Muslims through Islam. That phrase "good Muslims" is pertaining to striving for peace, justice, good manners, education, just to name a few.

Muhammad
12-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Greetings czgibson,

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't been active here for a while.

Do you see what I mean? Do I see what you mean?
It seems that we are simply getting caught up in semantics. Going back to the previous posts, it has been clearly mentioned that there is a context behind this, and nobody is suggesting that everything imaginable has been explained in the Qur'an. Rather, whatever Allaah the Mighty and Majestic has deemed fit to include in His Book, then that is sufficient for all our needs.

Success in this life and the hereafter lies in following Islam, and thus everything required to attain such success has been explained. This leads on to the point that Islam is comprehensive and covers all that is required by mankind in all aspects of the religion including both guidelines for our beliefs and worship as well as guidelines for our relationships with everything around us. So not only are we taught how to worship God and draw nearer to Him, but we are also taught how to live a good life on earth.

The topic of scientific discovery and other such knowledge falls into a different category. I did not say such knowledge was not useful, rather we are encouraged to experiment and discover such things for our living on earth. But there is a type of knowledge which one cannot realise through discovery, rather it is only acquired through revelation from God.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.